The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cut the nose to spite the face

+45
CaledonianCraig
Gooseberry
kingraf
Azzy
banbrotam
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Mat
chrisss
Liam
LondonTiger
sirfredperry
seanmichaels
Duty281
Mad for Chelsea
Jetty
alfie
mystiroakey
dyrewolfe
FerN
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
hampo17
amanuensis
Corporalhumblebucket
ShahenshahG
Stella
JDizzle
Shelsey93
VTR
Dorothy_Mantooth
liverbnz
Toadfish
ShankyCricket
Fists of Fury
eirebilly
Hibbz
DouglasJardinesbox
Biltong
msp83
gboycottnut
Mike Selig
skyeman
guildfordbat
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
KP_fan
49 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Cut the nose to spite the face - Page 19 Empty Cut the nose to spite the face

Post by KP_fan Sun 12 Aug 2012, 5:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Did they just cut the nose to spite the face ?

Yes indeed ECB cut their nose to spite their face.

With 7000 runs, 88 tests @ 50+ average, a big 100 in his last overseas innings in Lanka to keep England hanging in as No. 1 and another big hundred in what was defnitely his LAST test to yet again keep them hanging by a flimsy thread as No.1....KP's status as their biggest superstar in the last 3 decades and a legend in English cricket is already confirmed.

The intent obviously was to "hit back and hurt back".......instead of finding ways to reconcile and move forward.
Unfortunately ECB's timing was as bad as their intent.
If it was repraminding and putting down a newbie with 20 odd tests and 1500 runs.....then ECB's intent to "hit back and hurt" may have worked.......but here they have probably added martyrdom to an exisiting superstardom.

KP could have finished with 9000 or even 10,000 runs in the next 3 years....even without those extra 2,000 runs runs..nothing changes in his standing as a cricketer...the loser is English cricket.

An extraordinary batsman, who served England well for long, a flawed genius who acknowledged his flawed emotionalism and one who took severeal steps towards reconcillation....the super star who was made a martyr today by the bureaucrats who did a classic " cut their nose to spite their own face"......is how history would sum it up when dust settles over this issue.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Cut the nose to spite the face - Page 19 Empty Re: Cut the nose to spite the face

Post by Duty281 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

Hibbz wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Hibbz wrote:Duty, how do you feel about Gooch being the batting coach?

Come on now, the 1982 rebel tour was 30 years ago.

Not really an answer but I'll read between the lines. You know he's a mercenary and turned his back on his country too but because it was 30 years ago it doesn't matter to you, yes?

I wasn't even born in 1982, it's difficult for me to judge. Forgive and forget? I'm pretty sure I'll have forgiven KP by 2042.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Cut the nose to spite the face - Page 19 Empty Re: Cut the nose to spite the face

Post by KP_fan Mon 05 Nov 2012, 3:16 pm

unceratin openers.....uncertian No.6.........uncertain 2nd and 3rd seamer......uncertain 2nd spinner......

"Reintegration" seems to be the least of England's problems and not being discussed at all.....he arrived in a separate flight from Jo'burg and seems immediately assimilated and throughly integrated Yahoo

we can consensually conclude Flower needed KP more than he needed Flower.

Hope we get to see KP firing on all cylinders and light up the series.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 5:53 pm

And how are India's squad looking?

MS Dhoni (capt & wk), - Weak captain and inferior to Prior
Virender Sehwag, - Out of form opener
Gautam Gambhir, - Good player
Sachin Tendulkar, - Overrated in his prime and now he's over the hill. Anderson's bunny.
Virat Kohli, - Good player
Yuvraj Singh, - Not a Test quality player
Cheteshwar Pujara, - Who?
R Ashwin, - Decent player
Umesh Yadav, - Who?
Pragyan Ojha, - Not as good as Swann but still OK
Ajinkya Rahane, - Inexperienced
Harbhajan Singh, - You've still got this muppet?
Ishant Sharma, - Nothing too special
M Vijay, - Who?
Zaheer Khan - Decent but not in Anderson's class

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:12 pm

duty- you are a lover not a hater you will have forgiven kp by the start of the first test!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:14 pm

mystiroakey wrote:duty- you are a lover not a hater you will have forgiven kp by the start of the first test!

Perfect song to sum up KP, Wonderwall by Oasis:

Today is gonna be the day
That they're gonna throw it back to you
By now you should've somehow
Realized what you gotta do
I don't believe that anybody
Feels the way I do, about you now

Back beat, the word was on the street
That the fire in your heart is out
I'm sure you've heard it all before
But you never really had a doubt
I don't believe that anybody
Feels the way I do about you now

And all the roads we have to walk are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding
There are many things that I
Would like to say to you but I don't know how

Because maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me
And after all, you're my wonderwall

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:13 pm

right...but not relevant to the discussion Very Happy ...should post on the England in India thread

Duty281 wrote:And how are India's squad looking?

MS Dhoni (capt & wk), - Weak captain and inferior to Prior
Virender Sehwag, - Out of form opener
Gautam Gambhir, - Good player
Sachin Tendulkar, - Overrated in his prime and now he's over the hill. Anderson's bunny.
Virat Kohli, - Good player
Yuvraj Singh, - Not a Test quality player
Cheteshwar Pujara, - Who?
R Ashwin, - Decent player
Umesh Yadav, - Who?
Pragyan Ojha, - Not as good as Swann but still OK
Ajinkya Rahane, - Inexperienced
Harbhajan Singh, - You've still got this muppet?
Ishant Sharma, - Nothing too special
M Vijay, - Who?
Zaheer Khan - Decent but not in Anderson's class
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:14 pm

Your my wonderwall!!

love dat track

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:15 pm

The man who's scored the most runs in test match history was overrated? You do say some pretty stupid things Duty.

Oh and saying "who?" as a way of suggesting a player isn't up to much says far more about your knowledge than their ability.

Last edited by Hibbz on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:18 pm

I love Duty's patriotism! I'm sure its somewhat tongue in cheek... or maybe not Very Happy

Anyway, from an English perspective I'd say that the weaknesses we'd look at with India are seam bowling (Zaheer still effective but more like a Praveen type now than the all-round world class bowler he was a couple of years ago), fielding, and facing hostile bowling (England will particularly look to test Gambhir, Pujara and Yuvraj).

I've said I think it'll be 2-1 India. But it really could go any way apart from an English landslide in my view.

Last edited by Shelsey93 on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:19 pm

no its not shelsey!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:29 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:I love Duty's patriotism!

thumbsup that's good.
what is a nation without patriots and jingoists.......every nation needs a share of them.

on a lighter note
A real patriot is the fellow who gets a parking ticket and rejoices that the system works.
Bill Vaughan
laughing
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:39 pm

Ha ha I love that KP_fan.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 9:13 pm

Hibbz wrote:

The man who's scored the most runs in test match history was overrated? You do say some pretty stupid things Duty.

Oh and saying "who?" as a way of suggesting a player isn't up to much says far more about your knowledge than their ability.

Tendulkar is commonly rated as the second best batsman of all time, some even rate him as the best ever. I believe that while Tendulkar was a World-Class batsman, he's not that good. Hence he's overrated in my view. You say some pretty stupid things as well you know. Exhibit A M'lud:

Hibbz wrote:The odds for England to lose all of their matches calculates as 33/1.

I think that's a much better bet than the 14/1 on them lifting the trophy.

I'm supporting Germany myself.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 9:41 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:I love Duty's patriotism! I'm sure its somewhat tongue in cheek... or maybe not Very Happy

Anyway, from an English perspective I'd say that the weaknesses we'd look at with India are seam bowling (Zaheer still effective but more like a Praveen type now than the all-round world class bowler he was a couple of years ago), fielding, and facing hostile bowling (England will particularly look to test Gambhir, Pujara and Yuvraj).

I've said I think it'll be 2-1 India. But it really could go any way apart from an English landslide in my view.

I can assure you that it's not tongue-in-cheek.

"Ask any man what nationality he would prefer to be, and ninety nine out of a hundred will tell you that they would prefer to be Englishmen."
Cecil John Rhodes

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 05 Nov 2012, 9:51 pm

Duty, old bean if we're using old posts as basis for making ourselves look stupid may I put forward any one of your numerous "England to Glory" threads across a variety of sports?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 05 Nov 2012, 9:53 pm

humbug hibbz

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 9:54 pm

Hibbz wrote:Duty, old bean if we're using old posts as basis for making ourselves look stupid may I put forward any one of your numerous "England to Glory" threads across a variety of sports?

That's not stupidity, old chap, it's patriotism. I have faith in England, no matter what the sport is.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 05 Nov 2012, 9:57 pm

I've just read Cecil John Rhodes wiki page, looks like he held some really nice opinions.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:03 pm

Yep. I'm not sure he's necessarily the type of patriot that I want to be!

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:07 pm

Hibbz wrote:I've just read Cecil John Rhodes wiki page, looks like he held some really nice opinions.

"Be England what she will. With all her faults, she is my country still."
Charles Churchill

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:17 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Hibbz wrote:I've just read Cecil John Rhodes wiki page, looks like he held some really nice opinions.

Charles Churchill

Duty, are you Nick Griffin?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:20 pm

Hibbz wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Charles Churchill

Duty, are you Nick Griffin?

No. Although I would describe myself as right-wing, I'm not that right-wing.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm

Harsh Hibbz.

The mention of Rhodes reminded me of reading this this morning though Wink

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10845357
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:24 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Harsh Hibbz.

The mention of Rhodes reminded me of reading this this morning though Wink

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10845357

Spoiler:

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:33 pm

To hide the views of an obnoxious, petulant, self obsessed lunatic whose sole purpose is to wind up others behind the banner of "patriotism"seems rather daft to me.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm

Hibbz wrote:

Indeed!

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 06 Nov 2012, 8:20 am

ShankyCricket wrote:To hide the views of an obnoxious, petulant, self obsessed lunatic whose sole purpose is to wind up others behind the banner of "patriotism"seems rather daft to me.

Now, now Shanky. You know full well self-obsessed has a hyphen in it.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 06 Nov 2012, 9:19 am

Duty281 wrote:
ShankyCricket wrote:To hide the views of an obnoxious, petulant, self obsessed lunatic whose sole purpose is to wind up others behind the banner of "patriotism"seems rather daft to me.

Now, now Shanky. You know full well self-obsessed has a hyphen in it.

And besides, KPF isn't that bad Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 06 Nov 2012, 3:13 pm

Was wondering what the escalation of the thread was all about!?
To be patriotic is absolutely fine, but hyper-patriotism has a very thin line separating it from lunatic jingoism.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 06 Nov 2012, 4:20 pm

msp83 wrote:Was wondering what the escalation of the thread was all about!?
To be patriotic is absolutely fine, but hyper-patriotism has a very thin line separating it from lunatic jingoism.

+1
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 12 Nov 2012, 4:28 pm

Looks like "Kpgate" wil get the big fish victim......there is already somebody over the shoulder of Flower...asking him to take a break next yeara nd being reported as the next in line

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/content/current/story/590968.html

It underlines Halsall's growing stature within the England camp that he has been given a more public role with the squad for the first time. Originally appointed as fielding coach, he has already stood in for team director, Andy Flower, on occasional days and must be considered a contender as his successor sometime in the future. But Halsall may require a spell as director of cricket at a county before taking control of the national side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/20297406

India v England: Andy Flower encouraged to take break
England assistant coach Richard Halsall thinks team director Andy Flower should take a break next year to help him cope with the team's busy schedule.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 25 Nov 2012, 8:08 am

Very Happy
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:41 am

Looks like Flower will get an extra days rest after England mop up the remainder of India a day earlry KPF

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 25 Nov 2012, 11:14 am

clap
Colombo, Headingley, Mumbai......
what a player
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 31 Jan 2014, 8:27 pm

and with the firing of Flower......we can assume curtain falls over the KP-gate in a rather appropriate way
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 11 May 2015, 8:44 pm

Strauss & Co. has been trying since Aug 2012 to get rid him.....and in the meanwhile....Strauss lost his job and the rest of his co.---> Flower gone, Prior gone, Swann reached an end, Trott finished, Cook hanging by a thread.........KP still lives on....and Strauss will shoot the first bullet in his foot ( yet again) if he forcibly leaves KP out .
3 years and the soap still runs to high TRPs Smile
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 11 May 2015, 10:57 pm

KP_fan wrote:Strauss & Co. has been trying since Aug 2012 to get rid him.....and in the meanwhile....Strauss  lost his job and the rest of his co.---> Flower gone, Prior gone, Swann reached an end, Trott finished, Cook hanging by a thread.........KP still lives on....and Strauss will shoot the first bullet in his foot ( yet again) if he forcibly leaves KP out .
3 years and the soap still runs to high TRPs Smile

I'll put to one side that all current England middle order, would fancy their chances at the country's best batting track, against a second rate (sorry second division) attack

Can you tell me who you're actually going to drop out of that middle order

Carberry, a player far more deserving of a second chance (sorry, I forgot for KP it would be about his tenth, but you know what I mean) scored a far better century, in terms of what would be needed against the Aussies, than the supposed answer to all England's problems. He actually scored a century against a very decent bowling attack

As several people like Steve Waugh has said, it's time to move on - unless you think KP should open

And after having scored a century in his last test, how on earth can Cook be "hanging by a thread", unless of course you're a one-eyed KP fan who think the likes of Flower, Strauss, Cook, Prior, Moores, Flintoff should be hung by their watsits for ever daring to betray the lovely humble darling

Thank goodness Strauss has drawn a line under this ridiculous saga

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 12 May 2015, 2:36 am

banbrotam wrote:

Thank goodness Strauss has drawn a line under this ridiculous saga

you really think so.
He has been trying that for 3 years and lost his captaincy in the process, one time
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue 12 May 2015, 8:07 am

I'm done with English cricket.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 12 May 2015, 8:11 am

KP would have been done with back in 2012 if he was still South African.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 12 May 2015, 8:17 am

Scoring runs in against a division 2 team that hasnt won a game in 2 and half years isnt enough to get you an international call up? Whats the world coming to. Next thing you know theyll be acccussing Indians of having inflated domestic bating averages.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 12 May 2015, 8:55 am

Gooseberry - imo, it's not a case of this innings meaning Pietersen should be automatically selected for England but proving as a batsman that he remains right up there and more than worthy of serious consideration. My posts on the ''Peter Moores'' and ''Surrey v Leics'' threads refer.

As a new broom, I would hope Strauss would realise that and look to do a proper job of making the England house fit and tidy rather than continue to sweep problems under the carpet. Those problems just don't go away!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue 12 May 2015, 9:05 am

If scoring 326 against Leicestershire was so easy, how comes it's not a weekly occurrence?

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 12 May 2015, 9:13 am

kingraf wrote:KP would have been done with back in 2012 if he was still South African.

he may have been SA's captain....
SA cricket encourages free spirited, uninhibited express yourself individuals like ABDV
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 12 May 2015, 9:13 am

Azzy wrote:If scoring 326 against Leicestershire was so easy, how comes it's not a weekly occurrence?

Very Happy
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue 12 May 2015, 9:37 am

It takes a special player to score 300+, in any form of the game, at any level. It takes a long time to bat that far, mentally exhausting pressure, when you get past 150 every dot ball feels like agony. Leicester's bowlers aren't that bad - they have a blend of experience and youth, international and rookie, all wanting to get that prize wicket of KP.

One innings doesn't warrant inclusion, but talent does. And that is why I will never support this new England setup. Colin Graves may as well quit. There'll be no change under his watch with Strauss in charge.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 12 May 2015, 10:01 am

I deserve England SELECTION says KP
And 88% English fans in a survey agree.

Strauss starting is inning defending like when score would read 3 down for 10
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue 12 May 2015, 10:07 am

Strauss should never have been given the job, knowing full well that he called KP an offensive name on live tv and god knows what else behind the scenes. I never liked the guy as England captain and dislike him even more on commentary; mere consideration of him for such an important role was an offence to English cricket, and it is now abundantly clear that the powers-that-be are far more interested in self-preservation than in improving the fortunes of our national sides.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 12 May 2015, 10:20 am

Cosy Club.
They stick to it those they are cosy / comfortable with.....who in turn select in the team...those that they are comfortable with.
No wonder Eng lost to bottom ranked WI
And no wonder they dropped to 5th in ICC ranking for tests.

No wonder.....because they cut their nose to spite of their face
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue 12 May 2015, 11:16 am

Graves is all talk, no trousers. "Real change" was promised. We're getting six years of Strauss-Cook turgidness.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next