The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total Re-make

+3
Crimey
hampo17
incontinentia
7 posters

Go down

Total Re-make Empty Total Re-make

Post by incontinentia Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 12:53

Does anyone else think there is a major problem with originality in film-making these days?

I've read that executives are ultra-scared of movies flopping and that re-makes are a sound investment for a number of reasons, but personally think it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Apocalypto is one of the best films I've seen in recent years. I wish there were more of these type of movies around instead of re-makes, comic-book adaptations and stupid sequels but I guess that's the nature of the industry.

How do you feel about the situation?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Total Re-make Empty Re: Total Re-make

Post by hampo17 Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 12:55

I don't mind comic book adaptions, really enjoyed Iron Man and all of the avenger movies and Batman.. Some remakes are ok and are done well, however once in a while it's nice to see some originality.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 13:05

It's very hard for an original film to ever get the funded needed simply because of the risk:reward ratio isn't good enough for the studios. Remakes pose a lot less risk for a potentially higher reward so it makes sense for them to make them, same with sequels.

We can blame the studios, but it is the public which has led to this state of affairs as so many of us are more likely to go see something we are at least partly familiar with because we want to have a good time when we go see a film, and obviously we're more comfortable going to see something we know we like than something new.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 14:02

Yeah there is clearly an issue in hollywood.

But its not just that they also remake tv show after tv show as well(usually brit ones)

Also same is going on in the video game industry!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 14:10

I think its a bit harsh going on about remakes - its been going for years:

The Thing
The Fly
Hitchcock remade his own The man who knew too much
39 steps
Frankenstein/ Dracula etc
The Magnificent 7

to name a few!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 14:18

I love some remakes, many are very worthy, nothing wrong with bringing classic stories into the present.. But it is certainly a trend in America at present and I think the volume of remakes is much higher than in previous times. The remakes to sniff at are the ones clearly just out there to make a few quid and dont move forward..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 14:51

incontinentia wrote:Does anyone else think there is a major problem with originality in film-making these days?

I've read that executives are ultra-scared of movies flopping and that re-makes are a sound investment for a number of reasons, but personally think it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Apocalypto is one of the best films I've seen in recent years. I wish there were more of these type of movies around instead of re-makes, comic-book adaptations and stupid sequels but I guess that's the nature of the industry.

How do you feel about the situation?

Great movie, you're right. I always thought that they left it open for a brilliant sequel, since it ended with the arrival of the Spanish conquistadors. I was fully expecting one, but it's never materialised. Shame, because it could have been an epic story! There could have been some great action scenes between the Mayans and the Conquistadors.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 15:28

Good shout on Apocalypto - excellent film.

There's a lot of original stuff still out there but it doesn't get much attention against the likes of Spiderman 4 and Transformers pt.75. Some good original films I've seen recently:

Submarine
Tree of Life
The Skin I Live In
The Informant!
The Descendents

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 15 Aug 2012 - 16:33

Not sure I would go as far to say they are totally original, but certainly not remakes.

Submarine reminded me of rushmorel. But good film. I havent seen The skin I live in, will check it out. The decendants was ok, Not sure about the informant. Tree of life was a great film

I suppose at least when we get remade films there is an air of honesty about them. Where as many of these so called original films have actually been done loads of times before anyway!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 16 Aug 2012 - 9:48

mystiroakey wrote:Also same is going on in the video game industry!
Yes, it is. They're trying to re-sell us stuff we've already bought!

I can't talk though, having recently bought the Metal Gear Solid HD collection after buying all the games previously at some stage.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down