The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Equipment

+14
Roller_Coaster
oldparwin
BlueCoverman
Plunky
barragan
George1507
lorus59
1GrumpyGolfer
navyblueshorts
McLaren
hend085
SmithersJones
dynamark
Bob_the_Job
18 posters

Go down

New Equipment Empty New Equipment

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:35 am

Happend across this article on the PGA site, and it mentions Rory was using a prototype driver. Now, I don't think they mean prototype in the traditional sense - i.e. knocked together in the workshop and looking a bit Heath Robinson, but I thought it was still interesting that a top pro would put something into the bag so soon before a major (he played it at the Irish open. I was also amazed that it was giving him an additional 15 yards in calm conditions, but that's another matter). What was equally interesting was the article said he'd had the same 5 wood in his bag since turning pro. What? The same model or the actual same one?

I know amateurs at my club who change their equipment every year (we call them Marley's as in "more gear than Bob Marley"), so how frequently do you upgrade or buy new clubs?
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

New Equipment Empty Re: New Equipment

Post by dynamark Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:45 am

About every 25 years! Been forced to mess with driver due to rule changes and still not as comfortable as Id wish.If money wasnt an issue Id be trying stuff no doubt

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:48 am

I renewed just about every club in the bag last year. I set out to buy new irons, won a new 4 wood, and towards the end of the year had a fitting for a new shaft in my driver to get the ball flight down. I also played around with my putter, first having my old Ping Pal cut down from 36" to 33" and then, because I had a voucher and they were offering 20% off I bought a Rife Aruba from Direct Golf (in part at least because Poulter had wielded one so nicely). It was initially a case of 'it's a bargain, may as well give it a whirl' but it's turned out to be a great investment for me. Don't necessarily take fewer putts overall but I do get a much better roll.

Wedges were only a year old, so will probably be replaced next year. Driver may well get replaced if the kinds of yardage gain promised by the various manufacturers really are achievable. I've had a Titleist 907D2 since 2008, so 5 years seems a reasonable lifetime for one club. The irons I replaced were about 8 years old, and the fairways probably 3. The Pal had been in my bag since I bought it second hand in the late 80s.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:05 am

this may sound like a very stupid question... but.....
if you get putter cut down how easy is it to restore to original length? would you need a whole new shaft?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:16 am

hend085 wrote:this may sound like a very stupid question... but.....
if you get putter cut down how easy is it to restore to original length? would you need a whole new shaft?

Depends how much you got it cut by, but in general, they can re-lengthen the shaft. There are extension pieces that fit down into the orignal shaft, and as long as the join is covered by the grip, it's usually not a problem on a putter.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:17 am

hend

Just chop of the bottom few inches of your legs.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 17 Aug 2012, 2:30 pm

Rarely change mine but been fiddling with different drivers for some time as my driving is not the same standard as the rest of my game. Must be the club(s)...obviously...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 17 Aug 2012, 3:29 pm

Of course it is Navy....

I actually adjusted my driver last night to a fade setting. I think it will help me take some of the left side out of play which my draw/hook brings into play.

Will be testing it out early on Saturday before the knockout rounds of the club championships. I'll have the wrench at the ready to change it back if it doesn't do what I expect.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 17 Aug 2012, 3:57 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Of course it is Navy....

I actually adjusted my driver last night to a fade setting. I think it will help me take some of the left side out of play which my draw/hook brings into play.

Will be testing it out early on Saturday before the knockout rounds of the club championships. I'll have the wrench at the ready to change it back if it doesn't do what I expect.

Am I right in thinking you're not allowed to change it mid round (in a competition)? In a 36 hole competition, can you adjust it between rounds?
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Fri 17 Aug 2012, 4:16 pm

I have the same clubs for 10 years plus. I am not a good enough player for clubs to make any difference, so why waste money?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 17 Aug 2012, 4:52 pm

Bob, you're right, you can't adjust it once you start however, you can put it back into the state it was if a weight comes loose for example. Mickelson needed to do this at The Masters this year.

You can change it between rounds, it's treated just the same as swapping clubs etc.

In my post above I'm talking about changing it back before I start if I don't like how the testing goes beforehand

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 17 Aug 2012, 6:02 pm

I got new irons last year, my driver is about 4 years old, my putter is about 6 years old, my fairway woods are about 10 years old, my wedges are about 20 years old.

I sharpen the grooves on my wedges, and they work fine, so I don't see any need to change them. I only hit my fairway woods a couple of times per round, so they aren't a priority. I've tried a r11s driver (to replace my r7) this year, but but I don't think the extra 4 yards is really worth the £300 price tag.

So that leaves my putter, which is the innocent party in the hideous tragedy which my putting has become in the last few years.

So I might change some clubs at some point in the future, or if I win the Euromillions lottery tonight, then maybe tomorrow.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 17 Aug 2012, 6:20 pm

All my stuff except one of my fairway woods has been in my possession for at least two years now. That might not seem a long time but all are old models except my irons. I have:

TaylorMade R7 driver
Titleist 980F fairway woods
Cobra Baffler hybrid
Wishon MC560 irons
Callaway X forged wedge
TaylorMade RAC wedges
Odyssey Whitehot Sabretooth putter

They all seem to work for me so I'm unlikely to change them and there's nothing I covet either.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 17 Aug 2012, 6:23 pm

Is it easy to maintain legal groove depth etc when sharpening grooves? My wedges are starting to wear a little but i don't really want to change them just yet.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 17 Aug 2012, 6:50 pm

Last time I bought new clubs was a few weeks ago after somebody nicked my sand wedge and pitching wedge from the back of the 18th green where I had foolishly dropped them. After all the times I've found and handed in clubs, clubhead covers, mobile phones, etc, I was a little miffed that the favour wasn't returned ! thumbsdown

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 17 Aug 2012, 6:59 pm

Unless you really gouge out a load of metal (which isn't easy to do) then a groove sharpener is a good solution to tired wedges.

Groove sharpeners are intended to push away the metal burrs that develop on the edge of the grooves, so there's a defined edge to the groove. They aren't intended to make the grooves deeper, and they certainly aren't intended to make the edge of the grooves illegally sharp.

So in answer to your question, it's probably not illegal to use a groove sharpener provided that you don't overuse it.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 17 Aug 2012, 7:02 pm

That's crappy Plunky. I've always handed stuff I find out on the course in. I'm glad there are like minded souls around because I have managed to get towels back that I have dropped out on the course.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:01 pm

Just don't pick up any towels left on the course by Tarka!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:29 pm

Not good to hear Plunky, I have happily retrieved dropped clubs from the pro shop many times. Although once at quite a large junior tournament I left my clubs outside the clubhouse and went out to find someone had taken my wedges.

As for new equipment I have only ever had three sets of irons in 15 years of playing the game. One set of junior clubs and two real sets. I have had my current irons for about ten years. I change drivers a bit more often but thats probably because I cant drive.

Also had my putter around 8-9 years, keep meaning to change it as i dont really like it but just never got round to it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:51 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Just don't pick up any towels left on the course by Tarka!
Laugh

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:53 pm

Having played with blades all my playing life, decided it was a time for change, having priced all the new sets of blades decided to go for a muscle back iron, only played about a dozen rounds with them so far, so to soon to decide if they will stay in my bag.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:00 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Just don't pick up any towels left on the course by Tarka!

Laugh Blue, never, ever pick up anything left by Tarka

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:05 pm

The towel story is probably the most I have ever laughed at work.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:35 pm

Does anyone know if any equipment manufacturers send prototypes out to "normal" punters as well as their tour guys to test/provide feedback on new developments/prototypes?

I assume there must be something they do with club golfers as I guess the majority of golfers won't be buying the "tour" model with the japanuzi straightex 32g megashaft (or real world equivalent). Or is it all just computers doing all the modelling of the off the shelf products we see?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Aug 2012, 2:55 pm

Just got an RBZ three wood, and it's a revelation. Carrying 250 with it, and more importantly dead dead straight.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 3:04 pm

The only way I could carry a ball 250 yards would be in my pocket as I am walking to hit my third shot.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon 20 Aug 2012, 4:36 pm

super_realist wrote:Just got an RBZ three wood, and it's a revelation. Carrying 250 with it, and more importantly dead dead straight.

Oh balls. You're about the 4th person I've heard this from in the last week. So either you're all marketing gurus in league with the devil, or I'm going to have to go and try one out.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 20 Aug 2012, 4:52 pm

Bob - Exactly the same sentiments!

I'm hiring some in Spain next month, if they are a revelation I can feel the purchase of some new, shiny bats.

Sorry - not shiny. The white head reduces glare and aids alignment (arg - I'm now in league with the devil too...)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Aug 2012, 6:11 pm

Strange thing is bob, I took the stiff stock shaft out and couldn't keep it on the fairway, swallowed my pride, tried the regular and I'm happier than Mac in a primary school playground.

Amazingly consistent and probably every bit as long as my driver.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 20 Aug 2012, 6:40 pm

RBZ 3 wood is a phenomenal club. Bought it about 2 months ago and love it. Does exactly what Super Realist says. Bought the 5 wood and I can hit that so straight and longer than some of my playing partners 3 woods.

Thought about buying the driver but love my R11S too much and hit some crazy long drives yesterday.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:55 pm

super_realist wrote:Just got an RBZ three wood, and it's a revelation. Carrying 250 with it, and more importantly dead dead straight.
Interesting. Tried one of these and it was awful. Felt terrible, ball flight like a dieing quail. Rubbish. Have heard it said that it's more than useful to get fit for the right shaft and the stock options play stiffer to stated flex but can't see me splashing the cash on one of these. Would have to be exceptional anyway with a name like "RocketBallz" - what were they thinking?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 7:16 am

Horses for courses, one mans meat etc.

I know what you mean though because I couldn't hit the stiff shaft for toffee.

Rocketballz is a terrible name though, some redneck yank had to have thought of that one.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:05 am

super_realist wrote:Strange thing is bob, I took the stiff stock shaft out and couldn't keep it on the fairway, swallowed my pride, tried the regular and I'm happier than Mac in a primary school playground.

Amazingly consistent and probably every bit as long as my driver.

Interesting - I've got a mate who is a local retailer and expert with the added bonus that he gives excellent impartial advice (he's talked be into cheaper stuff in the past because the more expensive wasn't right for me). I've been thinking of a new 3 wood anyway, so I'll go and see him and give it a try.

Did you happen to try the equivalent RBZ driver?
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:22 am

Bob, I was actually fitted for the RBZ driver at Linlithgow and ended up with a RBZ tour 9 deg with a fubuki stiff shaft.

It's good, but it's not in the same class as the 3 wood which is more reliable and only a little bit shorter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:28 am

Is it not a bit odd that the shafts are different flex in your driver and 3 wood? Anyway.. now on my agenda to try these out.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:30 am

Wasn't fitted for my three wood Bob, just tried a couple off the shelf, however I've tried the regualr shaft in my driver and it doesn't work too well.

Just the peculiarities of fitting. Small changes make big differences.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 21 Aug 2012, 11:20 am

super_realist wrote:

Rocketballz is a terrible name though, some redneck yank had to have thought of that one.

Dustin Johnson, apparently.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 22 Aug 2012, 12:22 am

SmithersJones wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Dustin Johnson, apparently.

Why doesn't that surprise me?

You have to give credit to the genius marketing guys at TM. People like me, who think it's a stupid name, will still buy the club if it performs. I don't care what it's called... if it works for me it gets a place in the bag. However, the kind of people who buy a club purely based on what it's called are the type of morons who think rocketballz sounds cool. All bases covered.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 22 Aug 2012, 12:32 am

I bought a new driver in May... Tried a lot of different drivers on a launch monitor and the RBZ was the longest, almost 5mph more club head speed which equated to about 15 yards with the standard stiff shaft further than anything else. Only problem was the dispersion... 30 yards more distance than my old driver but equally 30 yards to the left or right. Went for the Titleist D2 in the end as this was the most consistent, even though that meant giving up 15 yards on the RBZ.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:23 am

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-wrong-shaft-flex/

Interesting article on shaft flex which given how much better a regular shafted three wood is for me than the stiff shaft I would expect to be suited too is interesting reading.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:07 am

Good read.

So .. in short.. get fitted, or try out clubs and variations a lot, because there are very few, if any, golden rules.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:13 am

One of the drawbacks of fitting is that you seem to be pigeonholed on your ability. So as a low handicapper I was automatically fitted for stiff shafts, never even got to try the regular ones out even though this reports (and my own experience) shows that in some clubs, it might have been the best flex.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Wed 22 Aug 2012, 11:31 am

Dont forget colour coordination ! Was at the practice day of the Barclays yesterday and saw Ian poulter using a driver with a red head to match his trousers and visor. Curious to see if he has a driver to match each outfit !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 22 Aug 2012, 12:10 pm

Based in Long Island.. but knows how to spell colour? Ex-pat?

Poulter is a funny one - I vacillate between thinking he's a great golfer and a show pony who pays too much attention to other things.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 22 Aug 2012, 1:26 pm

That is an interesting link from Super. I must confess I had always erred with the conventional "wisdom".

Not sure if it's targeted advertising on that website, but the advert was for a long drive shaft manufacturer (Harrison) which I thought odd marketing on an article against conventional wisdom in respect of shafts.

I got my irons fitted a couple of years ago (Project X Flighted 6.0) but didn't fit the woods. Was merely told by the fitter that the Aldila Voodoo stiff shaft I had in my driver 909 D2 was a good one. I enquired about fitting my then 3 and hybrid with matching shafts and was quoted £320 just for the shafts. Just bought the matching 909 clubs with matching factory fit shafts for about £180 total. Never sure whether that's a genuine saving or a loss of £180!

Toying with wood/fairway/hybrid upgrade soonish and think I'll plumb for fitting again although options over here are somewhat limited.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Wed 22 Aug 2012, 2:14 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Interesting. Tried one of these and it was awful. Felt terrible, ball flight like a dieing quail. Rubbish. Have heard it said that it's more than useful to get fit for the right shaft and the stock options play stiffer to stated flex but can't see me splashing the cash on one of these. Would have to be exceptional anyway with a name like "RocketBallz" - what were they thinking?

Best bargain of the year.

Managed to persuade my mate to sell me his RBZ 3 wood for £80.

It comes of the club like a rocket..........................ballzzzzz

Last edited by SetupDeterminesTheMotion on Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspell)
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Wed 22 Aug 2012, 2:24 pm

Bob -- yep, born and bred in Plymouth, been living with American husband on Long Island for twenty odd years now. Luckily he quite likes the current crop of european players so we followed Luke Donald and Justin Rose for a few holes yesterday, saw Poulter, Laird, etc. Both Luke and Justin were hitting the ball well especially Justin -- if I were in a pool for the Barclays, I'd definitely be picking Justin Rose. You heard it here first ! thumbsup

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 22 Aug 2012, 4:27 pm

I'll remember that and come back next week to congratulate/tease you depending on how he does Smile
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down