Drumming up business - meet axl 7

Go down

Drumming up business - meet axl 7 Empty Drumming up business - meet axl 7

Post by Adam D on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 7:58 pm

Its been two months since I started on my musical road trip that is hopefully going to lead to meeting Axl. And of course, meeting Mr Rose is not the enjoyable part. For me, happiness is the road along the way.

When I started this journey, I decided to take in a few stops on the way. Namely, I decided to set myself 4 landmarks along the way - 4 acts that would see me build towards my ultimate goal. However, after meeting my first idol, I had my road to Damascus moment.

These milestones were not what I wanted this journey to be about. Sure they were important, but they were not the reason I was doing this. I want to have fun and meet the people who matter to me. The people who formed my love of music. To bypass the acts that I love in favour of notching a mark on my bedpost towards GnR was, is and will be wrong.

So this week, I had a choice.

Thanks to the nice people at the Carlisle Sands Centre, I had the opportunity to see Thin Lizzy, my second target on my hit list. Or I could meet the drummer with my favourite band of all time.

So this week, I postponed pit stop number 2 to take in an act important to me. Some of you might have thought I had lost my marbles, but all I can say is thank goodness I did. I could have been somewhere else but deep down, there really only ever was going to be one person I wanted to meet.

Ian Mosley

The story of Marillion is an interesting one. When the name is mentioned, non fans will automatically think of their 80's hits. But the band are so much more than that. In fact, they have been together now as the current line up for close to 24 years. They have released 16 studio albums and are just about to release their 17th in the next few weeks. To try and pigeon hole them is a challenge even more difficult than meeting Axl.

In fact, when the band were recently asked to describe the single "Pour My Love", guitarist Steve Rothery described it as "Marillion meets Prince". The only track that has been released so far on youtube (see below) is completely different again, showcasing the harmonies that can only be achieved by a group who have grown together, along with a typically haunting vocal from lead singer Steve Hogarth.

If I was to use one word to describe Marillion, it would be one used by them on one of their albums - Brave. From mixing genres to leaving their record label and ask their fans to fund their albums through pre-orders, Ian and Co have never been anything but confident in going against convention.

Over the years, I have seen Marillion in concert more than any other band. And following my interview with Ian, my already sky-high opinion of the band has got better. Ian gave up his evening to chat with me and at no point seemed eager to stop/ As you will hear, he came over as incredibly likeable and incredibly relaxed but then again, this is an artist who has been doing what he loves with Marillion for 28 years!

During the chat, we talked of the new album, the tours and some of the influences he had developing as a musician. I would implore anyone who has any preconceptions of thinking they know Marillion to check out their back catalog and the new album - who wouldn't want to hear Marillion and Prince on one track!

The tour starts again in early September, so hopefully this article and article will inspire you to go and give Marillion a try. I am sure they will surprise you.

Finally - a big thanks to Ian for his time and to Lucy for arranging.

here is the link to the article on v2 which has the audio and videos - http://v2journal.com/drumming-up-business-meetaxl-episode-7.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Drumming up business - meet axl 7 Empty Re: Drumming up business - meet axl 7

Post by ChequeredJersey on Sun 19 Aug 2012, 9:35 pm

Good article, must check out the band
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Drumming up business - meet axl 7 Empty Re: Drumming up business - meet axl 7