The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Practising during a comp

+3
super_realist
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
busted
7 posters

Go down

Practising during a comp Empty Practising during a comp

Post by busted Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm

Another rules query ..
People are constantly telling me that you cannot re-hit practice putts/chips during a medal round.
Im pretty sure you can Rule 7-2 , on the hole you have just completed, or on a designated practice green
- unless its otherwise stated in the "conditions of a competition" , and of course so long as you are not causing undue delay.
but what is the reality ?
Are there 'rules' on where "conditions of a competition" need to be defined, displayed etc. as I have no idea if such things have been set up at my club.
Everyone I ask seems to have a differnt answer/opinion (as usual !)

ta

busted

Back to top Go down

Practising during a comp Empty Re: Practising during a comp

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm

Rule 7-2

A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole.

Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practise putting or chipping on or near:
a. the putting green of the hole last played,
b. any practice putting green, or
c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round,
provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7).
Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes.

Exception: When play has been suspended by the Committee, a player may, prior to resumption of play, practise (a) as provided in this Rule, (b) anywhere other than on the competition course and (c) as otherwise permitted by the Committee.

So playing between holes is acceptable. There has been many times I have re-putted my missed putt on one hole before proceeding to the next tee.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:23 pm

I'd like to see the end of practice swings. I stopped doing them a couple of years ago and am not only quicker, but a better player as a result.

Your brain knows what to do, you don't want your subconscious dealing with a real swing that isn't as good as the previous practice one.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:26 pm

we let a two ball play through last week in the medal, a hole later, we were waiting for them to finish up on the green and one of them decided it would be ok to have another go on his missed 10 ft putt while we were waiting... we were a little miffed to say the least.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:27 pm

totally agree super - every practice swing counts as one stroke.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by busted Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:04 pm

Thanks - I shall feel more confident now asserting that you can practice during a round ..
I wouldnt do it if anyone was waiting .. of course.

I also dont normally have a pactice swing - or if I do, I will do it whilst waiting for others in my group to play -
- does my head in all these pre-shot routines that go on -
normally by 24 handicappers - for who, its obviously not working - so why not change it by NOT having 3 swings, a line up, a back off, a practice backswing ... etc etc !
aarrrghhh

busted

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:15 pm

I will occasionally practice a putt on the green we have finished. Mostly just one putt and only from wherever I am stood back towards where the bag is (just as a distance control exercise). Only the one, only every so often and never when anyone is waiting to hit approach to that green.

I've never got the wedge back out and practiced a chip though.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by busted Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:19 pm

Any idea why people are so convinced you cant do this ?
Im gueesing on the Pro-Tours they have specifically banned it - otherwise theyd be out there all night.

busted

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:40 pm

I presume most people apply the principle of not being allowed to "test" the fairway/green etc to the holes that have been completed as well as the upcoming hole(s).

I'm fairly sure I have seen pros do it on the telly, but maybe just in the matchplay events (or on pro-celebrity golf way back when!)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by busted Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:50 pm

They definitely do it in the ryder cup - always looks a bit odd as were not used to seeing them do it

busted

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:56 pm

Matchplay is different as practicing on the course is allowed at any time.

Edit: Except in pairs, you have to have finished practicing before your partner tees off on the next hole

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 20 Aug 2012, 2:06 pm

Must be prohibited in strokeplay tournaments on the tours then, knew I'd seen it somewhere.

I was pulled up by one of our opponents for playing the 18th before one of our winter league matches last year (4BBB matchplay). When I mentioned the rules of golf I was told it was a local rule by our opponents, the general manager and the president, so I took their word for it. Although interestingly I can find no reference to on the local rules list in the clubhouse or on the card!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 4:14 pm

One of the areas that golf clubs frequently fail at is documenting local rules.

More often than not there is no mention of distance measuring devices, paths, areas of GUR, hazards and so on. Playing away in inter-club matches can be really problematical, especially if your opponent isn't sure.

As for having a local rule which goes against the RoG - like practicing on the course in matchplay - I'd be very sceptical. You have to wonder WHY they would have a local rule precluding this.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 21 Aug 2012, 1:50 pm

Indeed.

Apparently it was to stop people going out and firing 3/4 balls into each green in the winter ahead of the winter league matches. So protecting the green was the rationale I was told (although we have nearly 100 out every Saturday in the winter anyway and if the greens were threatened by condition surely the temps would be the answer!)

I would have thought that it was gamesmanship on their part, had my partner not been one of the guys telling me!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down