The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AVB ???????????

+6
Hero
Beer
hampo17
Good Golly I'm Olly
Corporalhumblebucket
HERSH
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AVB ??????????? Empty AVB ???????????

Post by HERSH Sat 25 Aug 2012, 7:06 pm

I've seen enough, it's time for him to go.

The bloke has no idea.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

AVB ??????????? Empty Re: AVB ???????????

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 26 Aug 2012, 11:22 pm

Maybe it's a tad premature to sack him after just two games.... Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 26 Aug 2012, 11:41 pm

#Norwicharegonnabeatyounextweek
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 7:56 am

Watched the highlights of your game and you can't blame AVB for dropping those points Saturday. You had 3 chances to clear the ball before they scored and Vertonghen was more interested in wrestling Olsen to the floor than the ball.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:32 am

He's selling all your players, but i would judge him at the end of the week when he's maybe brought new faces in.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:10 am

The saying goes that you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette and that is what AVB is doing, he's getting shut of players that either don't suit his style (Dawson, Huddlestone etc) or ones that don't want to be there and can make a premium on (Modric).
The Modric transfer has had his hands tied as Levy and Madrid sort out the wranglings, he couldn't bring in replacements with the cash until that deal was done, now that is going ahead I'd expect to see several decent arrivals this week.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Aug 2012, 5:01 pm

I can't believe he got the job in the first place. He made a total hash of things at Chelsea and proved there he couldn't manage individuals. He also seems to talk a lot of guff - I mean you've only got to look at the Michael Dawson episode to see that.

I'll be surprised if he's leading the team at the start of next season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 27 Aug 2012, 8:34 pm

I think people are writing AVB off again before he has even started. He had the right ideas at Chelsea but he was never going to succeed with Terry, Cole, Lampard etc all throwing their toys out of the pram because they can't accept they aren't the players they once were and that it was in the best interests of the club to begin to build for the future.

Now, he has been criticised for tha handling of the Dwason episode. Fact is, although I rate Dawson highly, he is injury prone and at 28/9 isn't get any younger. To get a bid of around 10m is an easy decision in my view, especially when you have Caulker, a young CB who's waiting in the wings to establish himself, Kaboul who has done well for Spurs, Vertonghen who looks a superb CB at a relatively young age for a defender, and even Gallas can fill in when needed.

I think, like anything, he needs time. He's brought in a few players like Sigurdsson, Vertonghon and more than likely Moutinho. These players need time to gel and play the way he wants them to play. These thing's don't happen over night.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 8:39 pm

I agree that people are being seriously harsh around the Dawson situation. All the stories have said that he told Dawson that he wouldn't be first choice, probably fourth choice behind Vertonghen, Kaboul and Caulker which is fair enough. I rate Dawson but I wouldn't say he is significantly better than any of those guys.

I think he needs to be given time, it's clear he wants to make his own mark on the teams he managed. He wasn't allowed to do this at Chelsea, not given the time needed to evolve from the days of Terry and Lampard to the next level. Tottenham should really be more patient with him and allow him to move on from the Redknapp's legacy to create his own Tottenham.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Aug 2012, 8:42 pm

AVB has two things against him.

1. Harry Redknapp was very very harshly sacked imo, and this is most definately his squad of players.
2. His time at Chelsea has given people a lot of misconceptions about him, and I dont think Spurs fans were particularly behind the appointment in the first place
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 27 Aug 2012, 8:46 pm

Some of his comments do baffle me, like him not playing Sandro against us because he hadn't seen him play, and then using Jenas over him.

I expect them to make moves in the transfer market now but i'll be surprised if the get anyone seriously impressive in. They can only offer Europa League football. Can't see some of the players they have been linked with joining?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 27 Aug 2012, 8:57 pm

Olly wrote:AVB has two things against him.

1. Harry Redknapp was very very harshly sacked imo, and this is most definately his squad of players.
2. His time at Chelsea has given people a lot of misconceptions about him, and I dont think Spurs fans were particularly behind the appointment in the first place

Spot on, but people need to move on from that now. I genuinely think the guy is a quality manager, but when your bringing in new players and are at a brand new club, its going to take time either way isn't it? Very rarely will a manager enter a club and completely transform it or get the desired results immediately. Even Martin O'neil's good start ended on a damp squid towards the end of last season with them not winning for what was it? 7 games +?

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Aug 2012, 8:58 pm

I think the real test is at home to us this week. I know this is a game most Spurs fans expect to win, and they should win. If they don't beat us at home, there will be serious questions raised
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 27 Aug 2012, 8:59 pm

I think any team that doesn't beat Norwich at home will face serious questions tbh.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Aug 2012, 8:59 pm

Leave us alone GSC. It's not as if we are a bad side OK
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:03 pm

King Beer wrote:Some of his comments do baffle me, like him not playing Sandro against us because he hadn't seen him play, and then using Jenas over him.

He did play Sandro against you though...? Headscratch

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:05 pm

I find it entertaining Wink
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:09 pm

I think he likes to think he is Mourinho v2, but he just really isn't
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:10 pm

King Beer wrote:Some of his comments do baffle me, like him not playing Sandro against us because he hadn't seen him play, and then using Jenas over him.

Isn't Jenas injured? pretty sure Sandro is next in line in the cm position.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:11 pm

Liam wrote:
Olly wrote:AVB has two things against him.

Spot on, but people need to move on from that now. I genuinely think the guy is a quality manager, but when your bringing in new players and are at a brand new club, its going to take time either way isn't it? Very rarely will a manager enter a club and completely transform it or get the desired results immediately. Even Martin O'neil's good start ended on a damp squid towards the end of last season with them not winning for what was it? 7 games +?

Problem is, he's been there long enough to have outlined his targets. Regardless of funds he should've put pressure on the board to back him. And if, IF he doesn't get his targets this week Spurs will seriously struggle. 2 strikers? The playmaker gone.

AVB seems to have this thing about egos. I dunno if it's because he's young, but you look at Chelsea and Spurs, he had problems with players who stood up for themselves and had a rep. Alex, Anelka, Van Der Vaart, Dawson is no saint. There are only so many people you can get shot of before people take notice.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:15 pm

Of course he's been backed, he has got three big names in Vertonghen, Adebayor and Sigurdsson. Now the Modric deal has been confirmed he has wasted no time in making a bid for M'Vila so he's clearly getting on with it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:16 pm

At Chelsea his remit was to clear out the old guard and get a new generation playing classy football.

Then Abramovitch sacked him for doing that.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:18 pm

I don't think that Abramovich really knows what he wants, he got rid of Mourinho because of a lack of attractive football, but then got rid of Scolari for a lack of success.

He was happy to celebrate the most unattractive Champions League win in history so he is clearly happy to just settle for results sometimes.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:27 pm

Crimey wrote:Of course he's been backed, he has got three big names in Vertonghen, Adebayor and Sigurdsson. Now the Modric deal has been confirmed he has wasted no time in making a bid for M'Vila so he's clearly getting on with it.

Adebayor was a Harry signing, Vertonghen was linked with Spurs way before AVB and they were interested in Sigurdsson after his performances in the previous season, so i don't buy that they are AVB signings.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:27 pm

Crimey wrote:I don't think that Abramovich really knows what he wants, he got rid of Mourinho because of a lack of attractive football, but then got rid of Scolari for a lack of success.

He was happy to celebrate the most unattractive Champions League win in history so he is clearly happy to just settle for results sometimes.

Daniel Levy isn't much different. Removing a manager than has achieved 4th, 5th, and 4th placed finishes could rank as the harshest sacking in PL history. Levy comes across as very change-happy.

Perhaps AVB's CV was an enticing factor in his appointment because after all he has won a major European trophy. The same European trophy that Juande Ramos won twice....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:34 pm

King Beer wrote:
Crimey wrote:Of course he's been backed, he has got three big names in Vertonghen, Adebayor and Sigurdsson. Now the Modric deal has been confirmed he has wasted no time in making a bid for M'Vila so he's clearly getting on with it.

Adebayor was a Harry signing, Vertonghen was linked with Spurs way before AVB and they were interested in Sigurdsson after his performances in the previous season, so i don't buy that they are AVB signings.

They weren't. Redknapp has gone on record himself in saying that he had minimal say over Spurs' transfer strategy and he just got on with the coaching and picking the team.

This is common in World football nowadays. Look at Clint Dempsey and his potential move to Liverpool. He was targeted during Dalglish's tenure.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:37 pm

The main problem is Levy's brinksmanship, while admirable, has left Spurs forced to put together a squad 2 weeks into the season.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:37 pm

Jonjo Shelvey was targeted by Benitez as well, but signed under Hodgson I believe. I'm pretty sure Suarez was targeted before Dalglish as well.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:37 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Crimey wrote:I don't think that Abramovich really knows what he wants, he got rid of Mourinho because of a lack of attractive football, but then got rid of Scolari for a lack of success.

Daniel Levy isn't much different. Removing a manager than has achieved 4th, 5th, and 4th placed finishes could rank as the harshest sacking in PL history. Levy comes across as very change-happy.

Perhaps AVB's CV was an enticing factor in his appointment because after all he has won a major European trophy. The same European trophy that Juande Ramos won twice....

Harry got the boot for 2 reasons...

1) The tax trial.

Regardless of the outsome, this did nothing but bad things for the club. Negative press galore. Constant doubts as to whether he was or wasn't guilty, despite the verdict. As a Chairman, you don't need that at your club.

2) The England effect.

He couldn't have made it clearer that he was gonna leave Spurs is the FA came knocking. The effect it had on Spurs form took them from genuine title contenders, to bottle jobs. From thrashing us 5-0, they didn't win a game for nearly 2 months. His mind was gone. And when he didn't get the job, how could he stay on? His heart clearly wasn't in it.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:38 pm

GSC wrote:The main problem is Levy's brinksmanship, while admirable, has left Spurs forced to put together a squad 2 weeks into the season.

Not really. The only hole they need to fill really is to replace Modric which they have started immediately, and I imagine they've had their feelers out for week just not doing anything concrete until the Modric deal is done.

I think they need another right back as well, not sure they believe the same though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:40 pm

They desperately need another striker. You cant go into the season with just 2 strikers.

Also am I the only one who really doesnt rate Assou-Ekkoto at all?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:40 pm

They started the season with 1 striker while Levy and Adebayor had a texas stare down
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:43 pm

When you only play one striker in your formation you can. I think if they signed another top class striker now they'd struggle to keep the new one, Defoe and Adebayor all happy. Defoe would probably go.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

I dont think it matters that you only have one up front, because what happens if one of Defoe or Adebayor gets a long term injury. Then you are down to one striker, and who knows from there. If I was a Spurs fan, I would like the insurance of a 3rd striker
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

Crimey wrote:
GSC wrote:The main problem is Levy's brinksmanship, while admirable, has left Spurs forced to put together a squad 2 weeks into the season.

Not really. The only hole they need to fill really is to replace Modric which they have started immediately, and I imagine they've had their feelers out for week just not doing anything concrete until the Modric deal is done.

I think they need another right back as well, not sure they believe the same though.

Really?

Adebayor and Defoe for a whole season?

Van Der Vaart, Sigurdson and Sandro aside who have they got that AVB believes in? Huddlestone he wants rid of, Livermore is shocking and the less said about Jenas the better.

Defensively, Vertonghen is a PL noob and we know how they can go. Kaboul fair enough, but he wants rid of Dawson, Caulker who? Walker is the new Glen Johnson and Gallas is kicking 36?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:46 pm

To be fair KB, Caulker is a very promising young CB. He did very well with Swansea last season on loan, and looked good at the Olympics
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:48 pm

I'll take your word for it, Olly. But still, is he gonna risk a young CB at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:49 pm

Olly wrote:To be fair KB, Caulker is a very promising young CB. He did very well with Swansea last season on loan, and looked good at the Olympics

Everybody has potential. Dawson is proven.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:50 pm

surprised Defoe has stayed tbh, think he needs 1st team football at this point in his career, yet he clearly isn't no.1. I would imagine with the rumours that Defoe may go, with Damaio coming in as second striker.

If I was Liverpool, Defoe would be the perfect singing. He's a natural goal scorer, something they lack, and wouldn't cost them much. He's in the prime of his career, and would suit the style of play Rodgers wants.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:50 pm

---------Adebayor-------

Bale---Sigurdsson---Lennon

-------NS---------Parker

A-E---Vert----Kaboul----Walker

------------Friedel--------------

-------------Defoe--------------

--------------VDV--------------

---Jenas--Huddlestone--Sandro---Livermore

Rose-----Caulker---Dawson/Gallas----Naughton

-------------Cudicini------------------

Hardly need to build a squad when you can put together two fairly decent first 11s with one new signing. Obviously they could be improved, every team can be improved but I don't think they are in desperate need of a squad overhaul. They're perfectly capable of challenging for the Champions League.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:51 pm

Ultimately, like any new manager AVB needs time.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:52 pm

King Beer wrote:I'll take your word for it, Olly. But still, is he gonna risk a young CB at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge?

If you don't show faith in these kids at the tough places, you will never know how they respond. It is a risk, but one that has to be taken
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:53 pm

I'd take Defoe over Adebayor everyday of the week. Whilst at times Adebayor can be unplayable he's too hit and miss for my liking. I'd also not be sure whether I'd want a blatant parasite in my dressing room regardless of how good he is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:53 pm

I just don't think you can go through the season with only 2 strikers. Same applies to Chelsea, I still think they could do with another one
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:53 pm

With your attitude Beer, Pardew wouldn't have taken a risk on Tiote, Cabaye, Ba or others.

Hughton wouldn't have unleashed a 21 year old pony-tailed striker either, and just stuck with Ameobi as he is a proven PL striker.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:54 pm

FreekShow wrote:I'd take Defoe over Adebayor everyday of the week. Whilst at times Adebayor can be unplayable he's too hit and miss for my liking. I'd also not be sure whether I'd want a blatant parasite in my dressing room regardless of how good he is.

Disagree.

Adebayor had almost as many assists as he did goals last season.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:54 pm

Olly wrote:I just don't think you can go through the season with only 2 strikers. Same applies to Chelsea, I still think they could do with another one

I don't think for a second that they can keep Defoe, Adebayor and a new striker happy without a serious injury to one.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:56 pm

I dunno whether they should buy a big named striker, but maybe look to bring in a younger one, who they can develop.

They have been linked quite a lot to Damiao, which I cant see happening.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:58 pm

I think regardless of formation any team hoping to challenge for the top four needs at least 2 'world class' strikers and two good ones. United have often played one up top but we've always had 4/5/6 strikers to call on, at the moment our 5th choice is Berbatov, a player good enough to get in all but 3/4 sides in the premiership and we've just signed Henriquez who admittedly is a complete unknown.

Levy is sometimes too stubborn for his own good, he sets a value and wont budge from it at all, admirable as it is he's left the club just a few days to bring in a reported 6 players, 2 games into the season that is far from ideal.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:58 pm

Crimey wrote:With your attitude Beer, Pardew wouldn't have taken a risk on Tiote, Cabaye, Ba or others.

Hughton wouldn't have unleashed a 21 year old pony-tailed striker either, and just stuck with Ameobi as he is a proven PL striker.

Different scenario.

The three signings had proven experience abroad and were scouted by probably the best scout in Europe.

Carroll was through a mixture of talent and lack of choice. We had no money to spend and had just been relegated, he had to give him a chance.

My point is, i can't see AVB taking a risk on a young player like Caulker. It's not his style.

And don't you ever speak ill of Shola.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum