The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 7

+3
time please
summerblues
User 774433
7 posters

Go down

Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 7 Empty Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 7

Post by User 774433 Sun 26 Aug 2012, 3:30 am

With the US Open fast approaching this edition covers the two final build up tournaments- Cincinnati (Masters 1000) and Winston Salem (250).

Player of the Week: Roger Federer
Roger Federer sealed his 21st Masters Title with yet another Cincinnati title to cement his status as the world number 1. This is Roger's 5th title here, and arguably his most impressive. This is the first time in his career when Roger has won the title without dropping even one service game, although he did get taken to a few tie-breaks! He cruised past Bogomolov Jnr. and youngster Bernard Tomic in the early rounds, and set up a meeting with home favourite Mardy Fish in the quarter final. Federer comfortably took the first set 6-3 but was taken to a tiebreak in set number 2, which he grabbed 7-4. His semi-final opponent was Swiss number 2 Wawrinka, and the results was a mirror reflection of his quarter final against Fish. In the first set Federer won the tie-break 7-4, before winning the 2nd set 6-3 to set up a meeting against Novak Djokovic in the final. The first set of the final was incredible, a combination of some majestic Federer play and dire Djokovic serving resulted in a bagel handed to the Serb! Luckily for the crowd Djokovic picked himself up for the 2nd set and took Federer to a tie-break, but Roger was too strong when it counted, edging the breaker 9-7. Congratulations to Federer, who equals Nadal with 21 Masters 1000 titles.

Match Of The Week: John Isner vs Tomas Berdych
Big servers John Isner and Tomas Berdych contested in the final of Winston Salem this week- and they delivered a gripping contest. It was the Czech, who found form this tournament after early exits in Wimbledon, Olympics and Toronto, who struck first breaking Isner twice to win the set 6-3. However Berdych had a mental lapse early on in the second set- immediately losing serve to give Big John the early break. With the crowd on his side Isner was determined to win the match- and he only dropped 5 more points in his next 5 service games to win the set 6-4. The 3rd set was always heading to a tie-break with both men serving well- and it was tie-break expert Isner who eventually prevailed in the breaker after saving 3 Championship points. At 5-6, 6-7, and 8-9 Isner stood on the brink of defeat- but each time he managed to claw his way back before finally winning it 11-9. This is Isner's second title in a row in Winston Salem- and his record is a faultless 10-0 there. clap

Shock Of The Week: Chardy bt Murray
Defending champion Andy Murray was shocked by World number 38 Frenchman Jeremy Chardy in straight sets. Chardy only entered the tournament as a lucky loser, after losing to Fabio Fognini in the final round of qualifying. However he took full use of his lucky chance, beating Roddick, Istomin and Murray before finally losing to Del Potro. The first set was a tight affair as both players served well early on. After saving 2 break points in game 6 it was Chardy who struck in game 7, breaking to open up a 2 game lead. He maintained this to seal the first set 6-4. The start of the second set was simply terrible- with the first 5 games going against serve. Chardy was the first to hold at 3-2, and served superbly from then on to take the set 6-4. This is the biggest win of Chardy's career while Murray will look to put this match out of his system when it comes to the US Open.

Quote of The Week:
Roger Federer:
When I was a kid, I wasn't thinking of winning five Cincinnatis.
Straight talking Federer is as blunt as ever after sealing his 5th Cincinnati crown.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 7 Empty Re: Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 7

Post by summerblues Sun 26 Aug 2012, 4:48 am

I like your quote of the week. I was thinking the same when I saw him say it. He is just as likely to say something similar about Wimbledon, but it sure comes across very differently in Cincy.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 26 Aug 2012, 11:38 am

summerblues wrote:I like your quote of the week. I was thinking the same when I saw him say it. He is just as likely to say something similar about Wimbledon, but it sure comes across very differently in Cincy.
Indeed! Cool

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 26 Aug 2012, 1:06 pm

Great article again IMBL OK

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 2:32 am

time please wrote:Great article again IMBL OK
Thanks TP Hug

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 27 Aug 2012, 2:41 am

Hilarious quote.

Truth is that when Roger was a kid he never thought about Cincinnati. That wouldn't have gone down quite as well with the locals, no doubt.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 2:59 am

bogbrush wrote:Hilarious quote.

Truth is that when Roger was a kid he never thought about Cincinnati. That wouldn't have gone down quite as well with the locals, no doubt.
Glad you liked it Ok!

No offence but Nadal's PR team seem slightly more advanced (cautious?) than Federers Smile

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 27 Aug 2012, 3:13 am

Oh I dunno, did the crowd like it? Bet they did.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:17 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
No offence but Nadal's PR team seem slightly more advanced (cautious?) than Federers Smile

Federer is his own PR man, unlike many others. Laugh

I also like his quote "I felt like I won my silver, I didn’t lose it. So I feel very, very happy." - http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/07/31/London-Olympics-Final-Federer-I-Won-Silver.aspx

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:31 pm

laverfan wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

Federer is his own PR man, unlike many others. Laugh

I also like his quote "I felt like I won my silver, I didn’t lose it. So I feel very, very happy." - http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/07/31/London-Olympics-Final-Federer-I-Won-Silver.aspx

Perhaps he needs to hire someone then Wink

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:43 pm

Roger has been the player of the week and the player of the year so far. Novak and Andy could derail him at the OPen. I think the most bizarre thing for me from last week was Djokovic's first set in the cincy final. I don't think I have ever, ever seen him play that poorly on a tennis court for half an hour after he had been playing great all week and the week before.

Great post again IMBL. Roger always has good quotes whether I agree with them or not.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:52 pm

socal1976 wrote:

Great post again IMBL. Roger always has good quotes whether I agree with them or not.
Thanks Socal Bubbly
Roger gives some interesting press conferences, he is always very straight talking- some people view that positively, others not (they think he is too direct).

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:12 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Hilarious quote.

Glad you liked it Ok!

I have to say I heard it as bb did - he never dreamed he would win 5 Cincinnatis. Fed is certainly always at pains to flatter tournaments and it was his way of saying how much he enjoyed coming to Cincy and the welcome he got there - the crowd took it that way too. It is ludicrous to think that the President of the Players' Council, who is very conscious of the importance to the sport of all the tournaments, was inferring that he wasn't that fussed as a kid whether he won 5 Cincys or not picard

Perhaps his phrasing sounds slightly different to a native English speaker every so often, and I agree that just reading it, it could sound ambiguous in a way it didn't when you heard him say it - but it is ludicrous to suggest that Fed stood on the court after receiving the trophy and basically stuck two fingers up at everyone picard and double, double picard

thank God he doesn't have a PR team - he is a sportsman, not a product!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 11:21 pm

wow TP, it was only 'quote of the week' no need to get so 'picard' with me!

Yes I do realise what Federer wanted to say, but it is still fun nonetheless Smile
To make it clear by putting Fed as quote of the week I wasn't having a dig at him or anything Ok!

As for the 'PR team' comment, it's a general point- I have seen examples before where I think Federer has been a bit disrespectful to others where I didn't think he should be. This quote wasn't a good example of that I agree as he wasn't being disrespectful in this case (not cautiously anyway). But I have seen some lines which have disappointed me, he could be a bit more careful (PR team or no PR team Wink)

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 28 Aug 2012, 8:17 am

It Must Be Love wrote:wow TP, it was only 'quote of the week' no need to get so 'picard' with me!

Yes I do realise what Federer wanted to say, but it is still fun nonetheless Smile
To make it clear by putting Fed as quote of the week I wasn't having a dig at him or anything Ok!

As for the 'PR team' comment, it's a general point- I have seen examples before where I think Federer has been a bit disrespectful to others where I didn't think he should be. This quote wasn't a good example of that I agree as he wasn't being disrespectful in this case (not cautiously anyway). But I have seen some lines which have disappointed me, he could be a bit more careful (PR team or no PR team Wink)

At least he is not discussing the strike in 2013. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:27 am

It Must Be Love wrote:wow TP, it was only 'quote of the week' no need to get so 'picard' with me!

lol IMBL - I have no problem with anyone saying that Fed is sometimes a little arrogant, or even that he is sometimes so truthful that he is tactless, but one thing he isn't is stupid, and if you translate that comment in the way you did, that is exactly what you are accusing him of being - which is to totally misunderstand.

As for a PR team - why can't we just accept someone as they present themselves - he may not be perfect but he is hardly ultra offensive. What you are saying is that you would rather have a carefully produced image even though you accept that you are being sold a 'brand' - at one time we celebrated our sportspeople, warts and all! I am amazed at the number of Nadal fans who have no trouble with on court shennagins (IW against Fed anyone? Rosol? to name a few occasions) as long as he simpers prettily for the camera, but castigate Fed for the occasional 'dorky' remark when his consideration for his opponent on court is faultless - strange priorities!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:20 pm

Maybe Nadals a really nice polite guy normally, but very competitive on court- have you considered that?

Anyway we could continue this debate, but personally I think we should focus more on feds fantastic performance in Cincy! (winning without dropping serve) Ok!

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:51 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Maybe Nadals a really nice polite guy normally, but very competitive on court- have you considered that?

Competition within rules and spirit of the game is generally well received. Wink. Remember, press conferences happen after the competitive part of Tennis (and many other sports) has been left behind in the designated arena of/for the sport. Press rooms are for analysis, discussion, commentary and Q&A.

It Must Be Love wrote:Anyway we could continue this debate, but personally I think we should focus more on feds fantastic performance in Cincy! (winning without dropping serve) Ok!

For a second I thought you had said USO 2012, and I was going to make a wisecrack (JHM - no puns intended) about a Crystal Ball and Tea Leaves!. Run

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:38 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Maybe Nadals a really nice polite guy normally, but very competitive on court- have you considered that?

Anyway we could continue this debate, but personally I think we should focus more on feds fantastic performance in Cincy! (winning without dropping serve) Ok!

He can be whatever you need him to be OK

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:12 pm

time please wrote:

He can be whatever you need him to be OK
What does that mean exactly?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:16 pm

OK Nadal is a really bad guy, everything he does that can be seen in a good light is fixed by his PR team, while everything he does bad is just him being genuine.
Right? Rolling Eyes

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:29 pm

2 points -

1. all the top guys are competitive - scrap that, all professional sports people are competitive so that is not an excuse ever for lack of etiquette on court

2. You are the one suggesting that a PR team is a good, even necessary in some cases, thing, not me.

I am suggesting that you need to think Nadal is nice whether he is or isn't so his public image is often more about the response or need from his fans than the reality, which may or may not be the same - who knows, not me and not you either OK

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:33 pm

time please wrote:
I am suggesting that you need to think Nadal is nice whether he is or isn't so his public image is often more about the response or need from his fans than the reality, which may or may not be the same - who knows, not me and not you either OK

Same about Federer. Maybe he's just a really bad guy, who is well restricted by a secret PR team, who knows?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 7:37 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirka_Federer
'Following her retirement, she took on the role of Federer's public relations manager'

Perhaps Mirka filters what Roger says in interviews?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:21 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
time please wrote:

Same about Federer. Maybe he's just a really bad guy, who is well restricted by a secret PR team, who knows?

seriously who cares? For most sports fans, as long as they are enjoyable to watch and play the game fairly the rest is all moonshine quite frankly.

It's like needing to love an actor - as long as they can create a character and make you believe in that portrayal.....etc, etc

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:21 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirka_Federer
'Following her retirement, she took on the role of Federer's public relations manager'

Behind every successful Man, stands a Strong Woman

There are three immediate ones, Lynette, Mirka and Diana. Perhaps we should include Anna Wintour and Gwen Stefani in this list.

Whistle

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:00 pm

laverfan wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirka_Federer

Behind every successful Man, stands a Strong Woman

There are three immediate ones, Lynette, Mirka and Diana. Perhaps we should include Anna Wintour and Gwen Stefani in this list.

Whistle
Bubbly

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 29 Aug 2012, 12:04 am

[quote="It Must Be Love"]wow TP, it was only 'quote of the week' no need to get so 'picard' with me!

My grandpa told me about picard a while back, he was a french astrologer in the 1600's who calculated the earth's circumference.
whats he gotta do with tennis

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 29 Aug 2012, 12:13 am

LuvSports! wrote:

My grandpa told me about picard a while back, he was a french astrologer in the 1600's who calculated the earth's circumference.
whats he gotta do with tennis
Technically if the dimensions of a tennis ball are directly proportional to the size of the earth, and Jupiter is the proportional to the size of a tennis racket by the same ratio; then if Sun uses Jupiter to loop the earth really really high in the air before coming down with topspin, then the sun is a mooballer.

Comprende? Cool

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 29 Aug 2012, 12:29 am

a sense great fear in you young imbl

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down