The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retired numbers

+8
Mad for Chelsea
sodhat
super_realist
nasisillmatic
Reaper
Gregers
JamesLincs
Crimey
12 posters

Go down

Retired numbers Empty Retired numbers

Post by Crimey Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:12 pm

A lot of numbers are retired these days, some are because of unfortunate deaths such as Marc Vivien Foe at Manchester City, others are because legends of the clubs wore the number for so long it's impossible to imagine anybody else wearing the shirt number such as both 3 and 6 at AC Milan for Paulo Maldini and Franco Baresi respectively.

But which shirt number at your club would you retire and why? Which shirt number do you think is too big for anybody else to wear?

For Liverpool the number 7 would have perhaps been up for contention if it hadn't been sullied by the likes of Smicer, Kewell and Keane. There always a lot of pressure on the person who takes the number 7 shirt, perhaps unfairly, and in my lifetime the only one who has really lived up to it's history is Suarez, and it's too early to judge whether he will fully live up to the legend of the shirt.

The two numbers I would consider retiring though are the numbers 8 and 23. These are of course best known at Liverpool for the being the numbers of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, two players who while haven't won as much as they and fans would have liked will go down in history as two of the Liverpool greats. While Gerrard didn't start with the number 8, it is synonymous with him and whoever does take it after will always be compared to him, putting a lot on his shoulders. It could be given to somebody like Jonjo Shelvey, Joe Allen or Jordan Henderson if Gerrard retires or possibly a new marquee signing. The problem, unfortunately, will always be that they will be compared to Stevie G unfairly. I don't think the number will be retired, and I'm not too convinced it should be myself. I think whoever does follow Steven Gerrard with the number 8 shirt should be a striker or winger, just not a central midfielder. Any central midfielders after Gerrard will always be compared to him anyway, it will only make things worse to give them his shirt number as well.

The number 23, outside of Liverpool is probably best known for being the number of Michael Jordan in basketball and David Beckham when he moved to Real Madrid. However within Liverpool FC the number 23 will always be considered to be Carra's number. The problem with 23 is not the same as the number 8 and Gerrard. The number 23 is usually a number that is just thrown onto a squad member, like 12, or anything past 30. The issue then is when Carragher hangs up his boots, and his shirt, is the number will carry some significance but not to any other players coming in, only to Carragher and to Liverpool fans. I think it should, and there is a chance, it will be retired. It's not a number like 7 or 8, it won't be missed as there is unlikely to be a player who desperately wants the number 23. I think the number has a significance that should not be ruined by letting it rot with squad players for years to come. It should be celebrated as Jamie Carragher's number.

Your thoughts? And are there any numbers at the club you support that you think are too big to continue to be in use?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Retired numbers Empty Re: Retired numbers

Post by JamesLincs Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:38 pm

i dont think numbers 1 to 11 should be retired as they represent the starting numbers of a team. i think 23 should be though for your guys. i expect chelsea will retire 26

i thought united had retired solskjaer's number?

arsenal should retire 14 if they havent already.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:55 pm

I personally find the whole idea of retiring numbers a load of nonsense but while we are on the subject when is the last time Liverpool had a number 6? Has that number been retired by the club? As immense as Jamie Carragher has been for the club he can't, in my opinion, hold a candle to Alan Hansen and his achievements.

But if I was to retire a number though for my club (Liverpool) then it would be the number 2 shirt worn by the absolute legend that is Phil Neal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:20 pm

The problem with that Freek, is that other players have already worn it after him...including Josemi. vomit

James, Solskjaer's number was 20, since worn by Fabio and now a certain Flying Dutchman.

Walcott know wears the number 14, a silly move by Wenger I think as it held a lot of significance and he gave it to a player who already had a lot of pressure on his shoulders.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:22 pm

God Josemi. Thanks for the reminder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:22 pm

Not as bad as Antonio Nunez though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:28 pm

Crimey who was our last number 6?

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:29 pm

Fabio Aurelio, he took it after Riise left. So we've had it up until this year.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:16 pm

Chelsea should have retired 25 after Zola left. I wouldn't be surprised if 26 gets retired for Terry when he retires, and rightfully so. Maybe 8 for Lamps but I can't see us not having a number 8.

For other clubs its a lovely touch that city retired foes old number (rip). Agree arsenal should have retired 14 for Henry.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:34 pm

To be fair the number 25 is sort of unofficially retired for Chelsea, nobody has had it since. That's nearly ten years without anybody being issued it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:38 pm

True crimey, would have been nice if there had been something official though. If anyone was to be given the shirt then they would have to surpass Zola which is an incredibly hard act to follow. True legend of a player

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:40 pm

If any number at Chelsea warrants a retirement it's 11. Surely?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:42 pm

If you're thinking for the drog then the problem would be that it wasn't his original number (15). But I guess he did win us the champions league!

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:43 pm

He wore it for a few years though didn't he Gregers?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:47 pm

3 I think freak, would be an interesting call to retire it for him. I think if he had retired himself then it would have been more likely.

How many clubs have retired numbers anyways? I've always thought more clubs should do it for example 3 at Milan will always be Maldinis number. 5 at Madrid should have been Zidanes.

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:51 pm

I don't like the idea of retiring numbers, I think that certain numbers should only go to great players and have to be earned like Lampard's No. 8 or Zola's No. 25 which I don't think has been worn by any other player since he left.

Reaper

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:46 am

As a Liverpool fan I would like Gerrard's number to be unofficialy retired like Zola's.

It would be a big burden for any player to wear and Gerrard for me is the best player I have ever seen in a Liverpool shirt.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:59 am

I'd just prefer Gerrard to be retired.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:01 am

super_realist wrote:I'd just prefer Gerrard to be retired.

Harsh.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:06 am

Gregers wrote:3 I think freak, would be an interesting call to retire it for him. I think if he had retired himself then it would have been more likely.

How many clubs have retired numbers anyways? I've always thought more clubs should do it for example 3 at Milan will always be Maldinis number. 5 at Madrid should have been Zidanes.

West Ham have retired the number 6 shirt in honour of Bobby Moore, and to be honest there aren't many I could say come close to being retired aside from that one.

I'd be tempted to retire the 32 shirt from the magical Tevez season though...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Aug 2012, 12:36 pm

for Chelsea, I agree on 26 (and think it probably will be retired): a true legend of the club who'll (most likely) have played there for his whole career, long-term captain who's led us to countless honours.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 29 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm

I think rather the retiring a number a player should have to earn it.

Although Cisse has done well for Newcastle so far, I dont think he should have the famous No.9 until he has proven his worth over 3 seasons as a minimum.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 29 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:I think rather the retiring a number a player should have to earn it.

Although Cisse has done well for Newcastle so far, I dont think he should have the famous No.9 until he has proven his worth over 3 seasons as a minimum.

Eh?

So Carroll didn't deserve it? Nor did Martins?

Part of the lure of a club is getting a chance to prove yourself in 'that' shirt.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 29 Aug 2012, 12:56 pm

Corporate Beer wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:I think rather the retiring a number a player should have to earn it.

Eh?

Part of the lure of a club is getting a chance to prove yourself in 'that' shirt.

In my opinion they didnt deserve it. Martins was average at best and Carroll left as soon and FSG waved a few quid at him, hardly what I would call ideal candidates.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 29 Aug 2012, 1:09 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
Corporate Beer wrote:

Eh?

In my opinion they didnt deserve it. Martins was average at best and Carroll left as soon and FSG waved a few quid at him, hardly what I would call ideal candidates.

I think that's being very unfair to Carroll who seemed to make it clear he didn't want to leave, but Newcastle just couldn't turn down such a huge offer. I'm sure Ashley and Pardew will have told him how it would help Newcastle if he was to leave for that money. I think if it was up to Carroll he would have stayed his whole career at Newcastle.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 29 Aug 2012, 1:13 pm

This isn't PL related but when Motherwell's captain Phil O'Donnell died on the pitch they've unofficially retired his number. In fact, the only player to have worn it since 2007 is his nephew and he left in 2009.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 29 Aug 2012, 1:22 pm

Yeah, I think other teams outside of the PL can be included. I put in the main football section at first, but more people would see and respond to it in here.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 29 Aug 2012, 2:10 pm

For Villa numbers 5 & 13.

McGrath wore the number 5, there have been a few since, notably Martin Lauresn, another quality defender.
Dunne wears it now(not quite as good as his fellow countryman).

13 was worn by Mark Bosnich(a legend in my eyes when at Villa).

Wore 13 even when he was first choice.
In my opinion one of the best keepers to play in the prem.

Guzan wears 22

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down