The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!!

+21
mystiroakey
BlueCoverman
Gareth_NI
Plunky
GunsGerms
Diggers
Doon the Water
JAS
PJHolybloke
Sand
Faldono1fan
Seanusarrilius
pedro
navyblueshorts
McLaren
John Cregan
thedamned3putt
kwinigolfer
super_realist
shudofhita4iron
TRUSSMAN66
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!! - Page 2 Empty Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Oct 2012, 7:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is the humble pie thread from 2012.......So I might as well use this one...

Awesome effort.....When it mattered your boys roared like lions......

Didn't see that coming......Rose turning Mickelson was the turning point.....what an effort.....As for Paul Lawrie well that was another World..

Congratulations......You should be proud!!!

Not sure why Tiger conceded Francesco's putt........A draw was possible..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 28 Sep 2014, 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:20 am

Not sure why you have to be a VC to make a good Captain....

Brian Kidd and the wally that got sacked from Fulham last year both spent a huge length of time as Ferguson's number two......

Players have to take responsibility and sometimes the opposition is just too good !!...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!!

Post by Sand Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:22 am

Really enjoyed my weekend at Gleneagles. Loved being a part of it and the atmosphere was brilliant. Will watch the singles day tonight as its really difficult to see that much going on though. We had a great spot beside the 1st green and stayed there seeing all the groups go through.

It just shows you how important RC captaincy is. Much more than I ever thought of it to be honest, but don't think its a co-incidence that our last 2 defeats, the captains were Faldo & James and quite clearly both made a lot of errors. Faldo especially was horrendous.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:24 am

s_r,
Haven't really seen all the Monday morning reaction yet but, from what I've seen so far, there's been more about the festering debate over US captaincy than credit for Europe's win.

Sounds great Sand . . . . . . . atmosphere and European support seemed to be superb.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:54 am

I've just re-watched the US press conference, and I really didn't think anything Phil said was that bad. He was asked what Azinger did that worked and he commented on that, and only by implication was he critical of Watson given that the US lost. However, with the raw state of the team and how shortly after the defeat it was, he'd have been better to be more non-committal in front of the press who smelt blood in the water.

It was fantastic to watch the RC being played on a course I had played not that long ago and could remember - that's a first for me.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:28 pm

He knew what he was doing...

He was sore about saturday..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:33 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:I've just re-watched the US press conference, and I really didn't think anything Phil said was that bad.  He was asked what Azinger did that worked and he commented on that, and only by implication was he critical of Watson given that the US lost.  However, with the raw state of the team and how shortly after the defeat it was, he'd have been better to be more non-committal in front of the press who smelt blood in the water.

It was fantastic to watch the RC being played on a course I had played not that long ago and could remember - that's a first for me.  
Maybe, but it was pretty clear. As Truss says, he knew exactly what he was doing.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:27 pm

Reading the golfchannel's debate forum is quite entertaining. No doubt who is being blamed: T.Watson first and foremost, but also Furyk, Phil and Bubba take some stick.

Funny that some people still see Tiger as the Messiah and that he one day will come back and save the US team. picard

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:33 pm

pedro wrote:Reading the golfchannel's debate forum is quite entertaining. No doubt who is being blamed: T.Watson first and foremost, but also Furyk, Phil and Bubba take some stick.

Funny that some people still see Tiger as the Messiah and that he one day will come back and save the US team. picard

Surely no one sees 9C as that? Bit like those who see England as football tournament challengers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 29 Sep 2014, 1:48 pm

Definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over, the same way, but expecting a different outcome.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:43 pm

pedro wrote:Reading the golfchannel's debate forum is quite entertaining. No doubt who is being blamed: T.Watson first and foremost, but also Furyk, Phil and Bubba take some stick.

I wonder when the U.S. VCs will stick their hands up and say "Hang on chaps! It's not all Tom's fault!"? They seem conspicuous by their silence/cowardice.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Sep 2014, 2:59 pm

Less said...The quicker it blows over..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:02 pm

Well the VC's are too old and arthritic to raise anything, bar the whisky glass. They probably already forgot what happened anyway.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 29 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

pedro wrote:Well the VC's are too old and arthritic to raise anything, bar the whisky glass. They probably already forgot what happened anyway.
Harsh, probably untrue....but quite amusing!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Tue 30 Sep 2014, 9:34 am

I like Phil but think the way Sunday evening went about was just wrong, thought he had more class than to hammer a great when the team were so comprehensively beaten.

No doubting Tom made some odd decisions, think in general his pairings were good, but odd to play Phil/Keegan twice in one day then leave them out on Sunday and to play Walker/Fowler all day Saturday when you could tell they were dying on their arse on the morning back 9.

All in all thought it was a really good Ryder Cup but nowhere near the excitement of 2012 (I guess few ever will be).

With Sundays comments Phil or Azinger for next captain?

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 30 Sep 2014, 9:58 am

When you look at the numbers, the Ryder Cup was won and lost on Friday and Saturday afternoons. Nothing between them otherwise. This is strange because the US normally does well at foursomes.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:23 am

View from Outside the Golfing Fraternity Tent:

Well, the excitement is growing in the media. I actually might look at some of.............................

What?
It's over already?
I missed it?
The US guys are back home?
The next Ryder Cup Schmaltz is already being talked about and planned?

Hmmm...this golf goes quickly for such a slow game! An optical illusion of sorts, as Phil might have mumbled about Watson!
Maybe they should try spreading it out a little next time. Two or three weekends so that the grudge match feelings might grow into something truly epic? Right now it's a blur of American whitened and professionally straightened teeth Versus European air-pumping smugness. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Sep 2014, 12:25 pm

I don't usually venture on these boards, but I do love watching the Ryder Cup. For me the Americans seem to fail at this event because of the culture that seems to exist in the mentality that was ingrained on them years ago. When the Americans used to spank the British, it was almost routine like. I think even one year was it Weiskopf? Who didn't show up and preferred his boat than the Ryder Cup? If you can treat such an event with that much disdain, it will seep through the ranks. As Europe have strenghtened over the years and very much changed their approach, the Americans haven't evolved at all. Seems like some of their recent successes have been a "win at all costs approach" with 1991, 1999 and even 2008 being testament to that. I remember Azinger in 2008 whipping the crowd up into a frenzy telling them to cheer and boo. It was a perfect storm. Yes Azinger got the team on the same page, but he was helped by the fact that Faldo made some poor decisions and somehow managed to lose the team before a ball was even hit. It didn't smack of preparation and poor captains usually get found out.

It seemed the PGA were following 'logic' by appointing the guy that last had success in Europe. Why they didn't appoint someone like Larry Nelson who has a 'military' background and fits the mold of what they have had previously in being able to inspire might have yielded different results. There is certainly no sense of team ethic within the Americans or any comradery. I saw some of that in 2008, but not since or before then for a long time. I won't say all of the players in the American team don't care or pride themselves in the event. Watson was just out of touch with this generation of players and the motivations and ways of thinking were always going to be miles apart. Yes Watson made some poor decisions, but he didn't deserve the flack that Mickelson was putting his way. Like Mark James said the Americans had 'moved' away from a winning formula for the last 6 years, so why was this event any different?

The Americans do need a re-think of how they can succeed at the Ryder Cup again. Root out the individuals and highlight the importance of the event and impart that on to the current crop. Leave nothing to chance and they need a more meticulous approach with their captains.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 30 Sep 2014, 1:30 pm

Nothing much to disagree with there, legend, you should stick around and post more often!
Larry Nelson definitely the odd man out in the US Captaincy stakes, though he's my age now and clearly too old!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:11 pm

Why is it that the military and the US ryder cup team seem to be mentioned together so often?

From Kiawah caps to seal pods, the Americans just seem obsessed and it is unclear what the point of the military connection is all about.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:16 pm

Maybe they should model their team on the SAS instead.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:16 pm

Agree Mac, it's sickening.

If they think it's war we'll just bring in 12 Germans and they'll be steamrolled.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:17 pm

super_realist wrote:Maybe they should model their team on the SAS instead.
For sure BA wasn't good enough for Phil.... laughing

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:30 pm

Ha ha, actually fly SAS quite a bit, and they're pretty poor.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:35 pm

"Military" and US Ryder Cup philosophy not a bad analogy.
Striking similarities in the respective invasions of Iraq and Gleneagles.

No plan for success, out of touch leadership, no Plan B.

And, Isn't it ironic that the only great (OK, very, very good) US golfer with military service, not to mention a terrific Ryder Cup record, has been dissed by the PGA?

It's OK, Larry. Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfwitz, Feith never took any notice of the generals either.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:47 pm

McLaren wrote:Why is it that the military and the US ryder cup team seem to be mentioned together so often?

From Kiawah caps to seal pods, the Americans just seem obsessed and  it is unclear what the point of the military connection is all about.
Ahhhh. Now I know the problem. Phil said "We need to try to be seal pods" but everyone just started balancing beach balls on their noses...

I don't know why they just go and have a drink with one another etc. It's not rocket science although maybe they simply don't get on with one another very well.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:58 pm

During the Gulf Wars, more Americans were killed by their own than by the enemy....

So maybe they're already applying military tactics and just need to go away from it?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 30 Sep 2014, 7:37 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:"Military" and US Ryder Cup philosophy not a bad analogy.
Striking similarities in the respective invasions of Iraq and Gleneagles.

No plan for success, out of touch leadership, no Plan B.

And, Isn't it ironic that the only great (OK, very, very good) US golfer with military service, not to mention a terrific Ryder Cup record, has been dissed by the PGA?

It's OK, Larry. Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfwitz, Feith never took any notice of the generals either.

I wonder if some of the USA ryder cup team will be wheeled out to inspire the troops in Iraq? Mentally some of them must be worse off than the soldiers missing limbs that were used to gee up team USA.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 30 Sep 2014, 8:00 pm

Mickelson at the presser for sure resembled Tom Cruise in "Born the 4th of July".

Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!! - Page 2 Imgborn%20on%20the%20fourth%20of%20july3

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2