Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by Biltong on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:59 pm

Found this on a SA website.

In what is fast become a rout, and a crisis for not only the Cheetahs, but also for South African Rugby, another promising lock has signed a contract to play in Europe for the next two years.

Bok lock Eben Eztebeth’s lock partner for the Junior Boks, Carl Wegner has signed a two year deal with Stade Francais. Despite being offered a two year contract by the Cheetahs, the young lock has decided it better for his future to play in Europe.

Carl is the 4th lock from the region to leave, and is a crippling blow to the Cheetahs franchise. Earlier George Earle left to play in Wales. Frikkie Spies’contract was not renewed by the Griquas, and he is heading to France, Izak van der Westhuizen has signed for a Scottish team, and now Carl Wegner.

The Cheetahs now have only Martin Muller, Andries Ferreira, Waltie Vermeulen, Edwinn Hewitt and Rynhardt Landman to select from for next year.

Other players the Cheetahs have lost to overseas clubs are WP Nel, to Scotland and Ashley Johnson.
Biltong
Biltong
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 26945
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Twilight zone

Back to top Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Re: Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by Ozzy3213 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:16 pm

Biltong

Whilst we're on locks, I believe that Paul Willemse has left the Lions for one of the other Super Rugby franchises, do you know which one? Also has Ruan Botha gone elsewhere as well?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 18489
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 43
Location : Sandhurst

Back to top Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Re: Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by Effervescing Elephant on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 pm

Give the buggers a cap before they go, have you got an 'A' side. Get 'em tied in early, after that it can only be good to get them some NH experience for a couple of years.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Posts : 1629
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 43
Location : Exeter/Bristol/Brittany

Back to top Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Re: Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by Hood83 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:26 pm

If they were coming to the Prem i'd say you're right to be worried, as our standard is certainly below Super 15. But if they're going to France, i'd say there's a chance they'll improve in certain aspects of the game. French teams that i've seen still play a looser, more off-the-cuff game compared to SA teams, and that ability to make quick decisions that are not pre-programmed could be vital for young SA players (that's not a dig at SA's style of rugby)

I know your point is probably a broader one, but do you expect these guys to get snapped up by the NH countries? I don't. The trend seems to be older players who feel their chance has gone rather than youngsters.

Hood83

Posts : 2745
Join date : 2011-06-12

Back to top Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Re: Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by Biltong on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:30 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Biltong

Whilst we're on locks, I believe that Paul Willemse has left the Lions for one of the other Super Rugby franchises, do you know which one? Also has Ruan Botha gone elsewhere as well?
Paul willemse went to the Bulls Ozzy.

Ruan botha went Western Province.
Biltong
Biltong
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 26945
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Twilight zone

Back to top Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Re: Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by Biltong on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:32 pm

Hood83 wrote:If they were coming to the Prem i'd say you're right to be worried, as our standard is certainly below Super 15. But if they're going to France, i'd say there's a chance they'll improve in certain aspects of the game. French teams that i've seen still play a looser, more off-the-cuff game compared to SA teams, and that ability to make quick decisions that are not pre-programmed could be vital for young SA players (that's not a dig at SA's style of rugby)

I know your point is probably a broader one, but do you expect these guys to get snapped up by the NH countries? I don't. The trend seems to be older players who feel their chance has gone rather than youngsters.
Hood, over the past few years France has made a concerted effort to contract young SA players, I checked the number of players in France a while ago, and there are more young players there than ever before
Biltong
Biltong
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 26945
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Twilight zone

Back to top Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Re: Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by Ozzy3213 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Biltong wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:Biltong

Whilst we're on locks, I believe that Paul Willemse has left the Lions for one of the other Super Rugby franchises, do you know which one? Also has Ruan Botha gone elsewhere as well?
Paul willemse went to the Bulls Ozzy.

Ruan botha went Western Province.

Stormers will be strong next season, they have signed Jantjies and Taute also I believe. Backline of 9. Duvenage 10. Jantjies 11. Habana 12. JDV 13. JDJ 14. Aplon 15. Taute will take some stopping.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 18489
Join date : 2011-01-29
Age : 43
Location : Sandhurst

Back to top Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Re: Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by Biltong on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:51 pm

True, also when you consider Aliistair coetzee has taken to heart the criticism of his team playing defensive minded rugby, the Western Province played a more open style this season and yet didn't lose their defensive structures.
Biltong
Biltong
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 26945
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Twilight zone

Back to top Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Re: Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by red_stag on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:00 pm

Bok lock Eben Eztebeth’s lock partner for the Junior Boks

What a ridiculous tongue twister.
red_stag
red_stag

Posts : 15653
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 30
Location : Limerick, Ireland

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Re: Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by Biltong on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:05 pm

Laugh
Biltong
Biltong
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 26945
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Twilight zone

Back to top Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Re: Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by Biltong on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:06 pm

repeat in quick time.

I am a feather plucker's son, and I will pluck feathers, till the feather plucker comes.
Biltong
Biltong
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 26945
Join date : 2011-04-28
Location : Twilight zone

Back to top Go down

Another young SA lock leaves for Europe. Empty Re: Another young SA lock leaves for Europe.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum