The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elitist and non elitist sports

+18
KiaRose
McLaren
nganboy
yappysnap
Mad for Chelsea
pedro
Good Golly I'm Olly
JuliusHMarx
mystiroakey
MrsP
dummy_half
super_realist
Notch
ChequeredJersey
Stella
rodders
Biltong
Adam D
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Elitist and non elitist sports - Page 3 Empty Elitist and non elitist sports

Post by Adam D Fri 09 Nov 2012, 8:18 am

First topic message reminder :

After the discussion this week of what people thought was the most challenging sport when it comes to burn out, I thought that I would start a thread about elitism in sport.

And by elitism, I am talking about getting into sports and how easy it is.

Now I am guessing things like sailing are going to feature highly, so lets keep this to mainstream sports on the whole - which sport is the most socially exclusive when it comes to class? And vice versa, which sport has the lowest common denomiator.

Remember this is just a discussion, so try not to get personal with each other!

A few suggestions from me:

Boxing - although quite a few very well spoken and highly intelligent people have been at the top level (just look at the K brothers for example, although admittedly I dont know much about their families riches growing up), the sport appears to have a lot of rags to riches stories, more so than other sports imo.

Tennis - most of the top stars in this sport seem to have come from richer families. And the money needed to become a top star is much higher than that of boxing for example.

Golf - Possibly the most exclusive at grass roots level? What does it cost to join a club these days? £1000+? And thats before equipment.

Lets hear your thoughts.....

Last edited by Adam D on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Elitist and non elitist sports - Page 3 Empty Re: Elitist and non elitist sports

Post by super_realist Mon 12 Nov 2012, 4:36 pm

mystiroakey wrote:good on em for trying to lose it - thats all i can say- but the show is not my cup of tea

Agreed, I like seeing fat people out on a run, cycling etc because at least they are doing something about it.
I am disgusted however when I see anyone drive half a mile to pick up the paper.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Elitist and non elitist sports - Page 3 Empty Re: Elitist and non elitist sports

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 Nov 2012, 4:38 pm

I am also disgusted when I see people drive half a mile to get 'a paper'

I mean i drive half a mile to pick up me fags- but them tabloids these days- jeas!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 12 Nov 2012, 4:40 pm

super_realist wrote:
Agreed, I like seeing fat people out on a run, cycling etc because at least they are doing something about it.

Also it looks funny.......

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 12 Nov 2012, 4:41 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I am also disgusted when I see people drive half a mile to get 'a paper'

I mean i drive half a mile to pick up me fags- but them tabloids these days- jeas!

To be fair though Mysti you can drive half a mile in 2 seconds as I remember.... Whistle

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 Nov 2012, 4:51 pm

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Also it looks funny.......

Fair's fair. They look a state and know that everyone driving past is probably passing comment on them so I salute their braveness in exercising in public. Although, it's the lack of personal shame that got them in that situation in the first place. cake

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 Nov 2012, 4:56 pm

Diggers wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:I am also disgusted when I see people drive half a mile to get 'a paper'

To be fair though Mysti you can drive half a mile in 2 seconds as I remember.... Whistle
furious

laughing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm

Btw did I mention how well poults is doing at the mo Whistle

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 12 Nov 2012, 5:12 pm

I feel better about his success now I know he is duty bound to bang his old boiler....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 12 Nov 2012, 5:20 pm

Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3