The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2

+43
JDizzle
Dolphin Ziggler
Stella
User 774433
Hulking_up
lfc91
spencerclarke
Adam D
TheCelticGarbutt
Hibbz
Il Gialloblu
hodge
harryspiv
GG
TopHat24/7
skyeman
Nakatomi Plaza
Dave.
compelling and rich
Hero
Fernando
mystiroakey
Liam
CFCNick
Ent
Corporalhumblebucket
socal1976
MtotheC
LivinginItaly
Lumbering_Jack
JamesLincs
Duty281
westisbest
Mat
Amy
ncfc_Tooze
GSC
hampo17
guildfordbat
Crimey
NickisBHAFC
The Special Juan
Good Golly I'm Olly
47 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2 - Page 3 Empty 2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

The discussion(s) continue here guys.

Unbelievable win for the Canaries tonight which see's Man City top for the first time this season, will they hold on.

QPR - still without a win - look doomed and Aston Villa drop into the bottom 3.

Last edited by FreekShow on Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: 2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 Nov 2012, 7:40 pm

Crimey wrote:What are everybody's thoughts about the whole Darren Bent situation?

I think Paul Lambert is making a big mistake, Bent is a proven Premier League goal-scorer, and whatever else he brings to the table is up for argument, that ability to hit the back of the net is one of the most important and even if Lambert would rather start with Benteke up front (likely as he is a Holt-esque player), Bent is still a good option off of the bench.

It's especially odd because of (1) the money Aston Villa spent on Bent, while it wasn't Lambert who sanctioned that move, I'm surprised that Lerner isn't pushing Lambert to use him, even if it's just to get his price up to sell in January, and (2) he was made captain by Lambert because of Petrov's injury. To be made captain at the start of the season, and yet end November completely out of favour without any public bust up, or even particularly bad form is very odd.

I think the most likely reason is Bent has been difficult in training or something like that so Lambert is refusing to use him on principle. The other is that there is something in Bent's contract that means one more apparence= either a bonus to him, a bonus to Sunderland or some other thing like that and Villa don't want to pay it.

I can't understand it to be honest as Bent would be a valuable player for most Premier League sides in even better positions than Villa, never mind a club struggling to score goals and stay in the Premier League. I feel sorry for him as well, as he finally broke into the England side and is now pretty far down the pecking order.

Bent isn't a Lambert type of player. He goes missing in games and only really offers you goals, as shown by Fulham away where he only touched the ball like 8 times all match! Lambert wants all of his players to work hard for the team, and I don't think Bent really does that. Also I should imagine they want to get him off the wage bill at Villa, and I actually really like the look of Benteke. He can be the Grant Holt of Aston Villa Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: 2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2

Post by The Special Juan Wed 28 Nov 2012, 7:41 pm

Crimey wrote:What are everybody's thoughts about the whole Darren Bent situation?

I think Paul Lambert is making a big mistake, Bent is a proven Premier League goal-scorer, and whatever else he brings to the table is up for argument, that ability to hit the back of the net is one of the most important and even if Lambert would rather start with Benteke up front (likely as he is a Holt-esque player), Bent is still a good option off of the bench.

It's especially odd because of (1) the money Aston Villa spent on Bent, while it wasn't Lambert who sanctioned that move, I'm surprised that Lerner isn't pushing Lambert to use him, even if it's just to get his price up to sell in January, and (2) he was made captain by Lambert because of Petrov's injury. To be made captain at the start of the season, and yet end November completely out of favour without any public bust up, or even particularly bad form is very odd.

I think the most likely reason is Bent has been difficult in training or something like that so Lambert is refusing to use him on principle. The other is that there is something in Bent's contract that means one more apparence= either a bonus to him, a bonus to Sunderland or some other thing like that and Villa don't want to pay it.

I can't understand it to be honest as Bent would be a valuable player for most Premier League sides in even better positions than Villa, never mind a club struggling to score goals and stay in the Premier League. I feel sorry for him as well, as he finally broke into the England side and is now pretty far down the pecking order.

I think it was the injury that impacted on him and now he doesn't really fit in anywhere. Villa had to replace him and they did, with Benteke. Benteke is a very good player in that he can score but he's also very solid and surprisingly quick. On form I'd have him over Bent and I wouldn't play both up front either.

I don't know where but I saw written down (perhaps on this site) that Bent's fee increases from £18m to £23m when he has played 50 games for Villa. I don't know if it's true or not but he's on 47 just now........
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 28 Nov 2012, 8:14 pm

Yeah, but even on the bench Bent has got to be a better option than that youngster he had on in the last couple of games. Lambert doesn't have any other option up front other than Benteke if he ignores Bent.

Embarassing by Liverpool so far, can't work out what Rodgers is trying to achieve by playing Downing. He clearly doesn't like him, and he's not even the best option to play. Robinson at left back would be better, or Enrique at left back and Assaidi as a winger.

Every time he plays, his value decreases and we're not going to play as well. I want to see Rodgers and even Downing do well but hardly even in this game.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 28 Nov 2012, 8:25 pm

So much for Lukaku being a masterstroke picard I think some of the West Brom players must have believe the hype about themselves as Lawro said.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 28 Nov 2012, 8:33 pm

Aha, or maybe it was!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Wed 28 Nov 2012, 8:37 pm

Swansea absolutely torn us apart so far. Hernandez is different class. Goal before half-time, surely the comeback isn't on?

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:36 pm

Bale diving again apparently.... Something really needs to be done about his constant cheating.

Another great peformance from Newcastle.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:41 pm

Good away point for us again tonight. Southampton will see that as two points lost considering they won 2 in a row before.

2 points from Everton and Southampton away, both come from behind as well. Will take that. #7gamesunbeaten
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:46 pm

Bents been crap for a while now, play your in form players and leave out the out of forms.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:48 pm

Don't blame Pardew. How many first team players are injured?

Should be beating West Ham by more. They're a decent team but rank rotten away from home.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 Nov 2012, 10:22 pm

I do think that Southampton should be doing a lot better considering they spent nearly £32m in the summer, only the 7th most in Europe...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 28 Nov 2012, 10:34 pm

Who did they buy for that? Did Rodriguez and Ramirez cost that combined?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 28 Nov 2012, 10:35 pm

They were about 20m combined.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm

Clyne, and the Japanese bloke cost a fair whack as well didn't they?

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 28 Nov 2012, 10:43 pm

"@OfficialLFC: RODGERS: "We had 65% possession tonight. To me, that's more important than goals.""

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 28 Nov 2012, 10:44 pm

Clyne was cheap at tribunal.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 Nov 2012, 10:44 pm

It's a parody account but its hilarious none the less
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 28 Nov 2012, 10:56 pm

I know, I thought it summed up Rodgers perfectly
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 Nov 2012, 10:56 pm

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague
to the Chelsea Boo Army: you have confirmed the image other fans have of you. Well done

That tweet is so true
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 28 Nov 2012, 11:25 pm

Grant Holt V2 wrote:Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague
to the Chelsea Boo Army: you have confirmed the image other fans have of you. Well done

That tweet is so true

I've had a go at Mr Balague. He's just bumming Benitez because he's Spanish. Funny how people conveniently forget the things Rafa said about the cluba and the fans in his Liverpool days just to have a shot at Chelsea fans. Even more amazing is that the West Ham fans behaviour at White Hart Lane on Sunday has taken a back seat to the media all taking their shot at the Chelsea fans.

There are many words that aren't prohibited on this site I want to use right now. The anti-Chelsea press make my blood boil. They couldn't be more anti-Chelsea if they tried.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 28 Nov 2012, 11:31 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:
Grant Holt V2 wrote:Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague

That tweet is so true

I've had a go at Mr Balague. He's just bumming Benitez because he's Spanish. Funny how people conveniently forget the things Rafa said about the cluba and the fans in his Liverpool days just to have a shot at Chelsea fans. Even more amazing is that the West Ham fans behaviour at White Hart Lane on Sunday has taken a back seat to the media all taking their shot at the Chelsea fans.

There are many words that aren't prohibited on this site I want to use right now. The anti-Chelsea press make my blood boil. They couldn't be more anti-Chelsea if they tried.

clap That's a great point. I don't like Chelsea but the press are really after them, especially the BBC. Yes, it might be all Roman's doing but Benitez is no saint at all. They can whine about all this booing but I reckon it's 50% in support of Di Matteo (if that) and 50% because of what Benitez said about Chelsea previously.

I actually didn't know about this West Ham stuff until someone told me today. The press have barely touched it!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 29 Nov 2012, 2:00 am

Terrific result for the Swans tonight, up against a very much in form WBA side but they took them apart first half fp.

Good win for City also but Wigan can be very happy with that performance. Shame Al Habsi is going through one of his blunder spells again.

Clean sheet away at Fulham and a point isn't the worst result but it won't ease the abuse towards Rafa at Chelsea. Not sure dropping/resting Mata was the best idea in the world either.

Point for Arsenal but mid table without showing much form is worrying for Wenger. Personally, I think he's lost his touch and that his time is up at Arsenal imo.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 29 Nov 2012, 2:04 am

To be fair the west ham stuff is being dealt with and has been widely reported, the Benitez story will run and run.

The Benitez thing is a strange issue, I doubt it's the old quotes they dug up as none of my Chelsea supporting mates could remember them (hardly conclusive that I know).

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 29 Nov 2012, 8:24 am

Going to Loftus Rd saturday.

Anyone know of good pubs for away fans?

Cheers.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:00 am

Ent wrote:To be fair the west ham stuff is being dealt with and has been widely reported, the Benitez story will run and run.

The Benitez thing is a strange issue, I doubt it's the old quotes they dug up as none of my Chelsea supporting mates could remember them (hardly conclusive that I know).

Well your Chelsea mates obviously supported someone else when the comments were made. I still remember, all of my mates remember and I'm the only Chelsea fan in that group.

They're not booing Benitez the man. They're booing the decision to sack a former playing legend Robbie and Benitez's character and those comments. It's not just because of last season Robbie was so loved, when we were last champions we played Robbie's newly promoted West Brom at home on opening day and as the game was won, think it was 5-0 with 20 mins to go, they started chanting "One Di Matteo" and other songs about him and it actually brought tears to his eyes on the sideline. The fans love Robbie and Robbie loves the fans. Roman could have got any out of work manager and of all people he picks Benitez.

Just heard Hiddink is leaving Anzhi, hope we get him instead of Guardiola.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 29 Nov 2012, 10:03 am

MockingJay33 wrote:
Ent wrote:To be fair the west ham stuff is being dealt with and has been widely reported, the Benitez story will run and run.

Well your Chelsea mates obviously supported someone else when the comments were made. I still remember, all of my mates remember and I'm the only Chelsea fan in that group.

They're not booing Benitez the man. They're booing the decision to sack a former playing legend Robbie and Benitez's character and those comments. It's not just because of last season Robbie was so loved, when we were last champions we played Robbie's newly promoted West Brom at home on opening day and as the game was won, think it was 5-0 with 20 mins to go, they started chanting "One Di Matteo" and other songs about him and it actually brought tears to his eyes on the sideline. The fans love Robbie and Robbie loves the fans. Roman could have got any out of work manager and of all people he picks Benitez.

Just heard Hiddink is leaving Anzhi, hope we get him instead of Guardiola.

I think Hiddink is retiring which is a shame because he's a great manager.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 29 Nov 2012, 10:18 am

Well Chelsea fans are always going to get more press coverage because you are one of the top teams.

For example someone sent a racist tweet to Sebastien Bassong but where is the news coverage of that? If it was a player like Rio Ferdinand then it would be all over the news. That's just the way it is unfortunately.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu 29 Nov 2012, 7:41 pm

Grant Holt V2 wrote:Well Chelsea fans are always going to get more press coverage because you are one of the top teams.

For example someone sent a racist tweet to Sebastien Bassong but where is the news coverage of that? If it was a player like Rio Ferdinand then it would be all over the news. That's just the way it is unfortunately.

Or the monkey gesture at Lukaku on Saturday

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 29 Nov 2012, 8:43 pm

I saw the Bassong thing on the bbc website.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 29 Nov 2012, 8:55 pm

Yeah it's all in the news, you guys suffer the same big club one eyedness you accuse the media of having if you fail to notice it.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:02 pm

Ent wrote:Yeah it's all in the news, you guys suffer the same big club one eyedness you accuse the media of having if you fail to notice it.

Paha what a load of rubbish. That Bassong thing got literally a paragraph or two on the BBC Sport website and a line on that ticker on Sky Sports News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20486350

And that Lukaku thing hasn't even been reported. Yet when the guy did the same thing at Chelsea-Utd it was all over the news
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:05 pm

What else is there to say? Christ, you moan about some irrelevant things.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:06 pm

GSC wrote:What else is there to say? Christ, you moan about some irrelevant things.

I'm just saying in question to the Chelsea fans getting extra coverage rather than the West Ham fans in the media.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:18 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20168008

So an extra bit of somewhat related news. I'm sure if Norwich launched a similar complain that would've been included or had Grant Holt called somebody a black **** on the pitch (im fairly sure he has at some point) that wouldve also been included.

Always amuses me when fans of non big 4 PL clubs complain about media attention.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:40 pm

Let's not kid ourselves, there's no "big 4" anymore. There's United and City, then Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs. And the media scrutiny these clubs get is ridiculous.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:43 pm

The point stands either way.

Not to mention its an ongoing police investigation and as such they're hardly going to be big on details.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu 29 Nov 2012, 10:28 pm

GSC wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20168008

So an extra bit of somewhat related news. I'm sure if Norwich launched a similar complain that would've been included or had Grant Holt called somebody a black **** on the pitch (im fairly sure he has at some point) that wouldve also been included.

Always amuses me when fans of non big 4 PL clubs complain about media attention.

But we are a top 4 PL club? Headscratch

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 29 Nov 2012, 10:41 pm

Give it time Wink
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 30 Nov 2012, 8:33 am

As a Villa fan its a real shame that Bent is not playing.
He's obviously not in Lamberts plans. I'd like to see him play up front with Benteke.
Dropping Weimann to the bench, playing the two up front. Benteke wins alot of headers, Bent could feed off that.
If the two of them played tomorrow, they would cause the QPR defence alot of problems.
A shame like I said, but think he'll be off in January, we wont get anything close to what we paid for him.
Have heard that Lambert is after another young forward in England.
Give the guy a chance Paul, he score goals, which, well yep thats what we need.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 8:35 am

westisbest wrote:

As a Villa fan its a real shame that Bent is not playing.
He's obviously not in Lamberts plans. I'd like to see him play up front with Benteke.
Dropping Weimann to the bench, playing the two up front. Benteke wins alot of headers, Bent could feed off that.
If the two of them played tomorrow, they would cause the QPR defence alot of problems.
A shame like I said, but think he'll be off in January, we wont get anything close to what we paid for him.
Have heard that Lambert is after another young forward in England.
Give the guy a chance Paul, he score goals, which, well yep thats what we need.

If I played tomorrow I'd give the QPR defence alot of problems Laugh

I think he may be sold in January and he's certainly a player I'd like Liverpool to look at.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:46 am

We may need you then hampo.
see you at Loftus rd OK

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Nov 2012, 3:41 pm

Cliche I know but tomorrows game really is a MUST win for QPR. Fail to win that then it's beyond an uphill task for Redknapps boys.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 1:03 pm

That was a well worked goal from Chelsea there. Good ball from Moses.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 01 Dec 2012, 1:32 pm

another palace prodigy doing well..
he should have chosen england! sucks he choice an african nation after what we have done for him!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 01 Dec 2012, 2:08 pm

I'm sorry but Petr Cech has to come for that ball that West Ham have just scored from. Ball goes miles up in the air and Cole heads it about 5 yards from the goal!! Shocking goalkeeping
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 2:12 pm

How long will it be before Mikel is finally sent off for dissent? Yap, yap, yap.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 2:32 pm

Chelsea can have no arguments about that result. In the space of three matches Benitez has taken them back 12 months and he'll do well to see out the season at this rate. 2 points from a possible 9 is pitiful. West Ham won that through hunger and aptitude, something Chelsea severely lacked in droves.

A 2 horse race it is then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 01 Dec 2012, 2:52 pm

I have to say after the 1st half it looked like Chelsea would go on and score 2/3/4 goals but they seemed to just switch off and Diame made a big difference when he came on got in their faces and gave them no time at all

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 01 Dec 2012, 2:53 pm

West Ham 3 - Chelsea 1 Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 01 Dec 2012, 3:03 pm

BBC website: "Players are emerging from tunnels up and down the land." Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next