The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark Clattenburg Cleared by FA , John Obi Mikel Charged

+7
Ent
Liam
Gregers
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
Fernando
11 posters

Go down

Mark Clattenburg Cleared by FA , John Obi Mikel Charged  Empty Mark Clattenburg Cleared by FA , John Obi Mikel Charged

Post by Fernando Thu 22 Nov 2012, 4:51 pm

Clattenburg was accused of using inappropriate language by Chelsea after the fractious 3-2 defeat against Manchester United. Specifically, he was accused of calling Mikel a "monkey".

Last week, the Metropolitan Police, who were also investigating the incident, said they would take no action against the Durham official. And now the FA have cleared the official of any wrongdoing.

An FA statement read: "The FA has concluded its investigation into alleged misconduct by Mark Clattenburg during the match between Chelsea FC and Manchester United FC on Sunday 28 October 2012. No disciplinary action will follow against Mr Clattenburg."

Chelsea are holding a press conference this afternoon, at 5.30pm, to unveil new manager Rafael Benitez, an event which now risks being overshadowed by the criticism which is bound to be shown in Chelsea's direction.

The FA's investigation found the following:

"The evidence for the allegation came from one witness, Ramires. Ramires, whose first language is not English, explained that his instinctive reaction was to seek confirmation from John Obi Mikel as to what the referee had said.

"John Obi Mikel, who was being spoken to by the referee, was much closer to the referee than Ramires and did not hear what it is suggested was said to him.

"Three other witnesses, i.e. the other Match Officials, to whom everything said by referee was relayed via their communication equipment, are adamant the alleged words were not uttered.

"There is nothing in the video footage to support the allegation.

"For completeness, but of lesser weight, two other players, whose first language is English and were in the vicinity, did not hear anything untoward."

Mikel had been charged by the FA for an "alleged use of threatening and/or abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour in or around the match officials' changing room."

Clattenburg is currently talking to lawyers about a potential Lawsuit

Source: Telegraph

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Mark Clattenburg Cleared by FA , John Obi Mikel Charged  Empty Re: Mark Clattenburg Cleared by FA , John Obi Mikel Charged

Post by GSC Thu 22 Nov 2012, 5:16 pm

Chelsea Football Club accepts the Football Association's decision regarding Mark Clattenburg and welcomes the fact that the FA recognises the club and players were correct in reporting the matter.

The FA states Chelsea took the correct action following the Manchester United match and encourages all players who believe they have been either subject, or witness, to discriminatory abuse to report the matter immediately to the match officials on the day, and in turn to the FA.

The club also notes the charge brought against John Mikel Obi. While the player does not deny the charge, he will request a personal hearing to explain the mitigating circumstances.

With regards to the Mark Clattenburg decision, the club accepts the case is now concluded and notes the FA states the allegation was made in good faith.

Chelsea FC cooperated fully with the FA and provided 11 witness statements covering all events during and after the Premier League game on October 28.

Chelsea FC has a duty of care, as do all employers, to act responsibly when such allegations are reported by employees. We did not take the decision to lodge a formal complaint with the FA lightly and followed the correct processes and protocols throughout. The club carried out a thorough investigation, led by outside legal counsel, using all information available to us. As the FA makes clear, it is not uncommon for investigations to lead to no disciplinary charge being brought.

All those directly involved have been subjected to scrutiny over the last weeks. Chelsea FC now hopes that all concerned can continue to carry out their duties without prejudice.

We are committed to working alongside all referees and their assistants to ensure games are conducted in the right spirit and that all our players and staff accept and observe the match officials' authority and decisions.

So Chelsea fail to apologise to Clattenburg. Absolutely disgraceful. Drag his name through the mud and almost end his career.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Mark Clattenburg Cleared by FA , John Obi Mikel Charged  Empty Re: Mark Clattenburg Cleared by FA , John Obi Mikel Charged

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Nov 2012, 5:34 pm

Truly an embarassment of a club. No apology is a disgrace, they've pretty much ruined his name. Action HAS to be taken against them. If they can make all these false allegations and then not apologise and get away with it, then im disillusioned with football
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Nov 2012, 5:48 pm

You can't hit em in the pocket - it won't hurt em, a fine is a drop in the ocean for that mob.

A points deduction. 6 points should suffice. Welcome to the nuthouse Rafa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 22 Nov 2012, 6:51 pm

FreekShow wrote:You can't hit em in the pocket - it won't hurt em, a fine is a drop in the ocean for that mob.

A points deduction. 6 points should suffice. Welcome to the nuthouse Rafa.

Totally agree Freek. I wonder what the society of Black Lawyers have to say about the matter?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:12 pm

Grant Holt V2 wrote:Truly an embarassment of a club. No apology is a disgrace, they've pretty much ruined his name. Action HAS to be taken against them. If they can make all these false allegations and then not apologise and get away with it, then im disillusioned with football

If you actually read it its not a false allegation. Ramires thought he heard Clattenberg say what he did, it was reported. After an enquiry it turns out Clattenberg didn't. Both Chelsea and Clattenberg can go their separate ways knowing that the matter was dealt with in the correct manner. Basically what you are saying Olly is that if a player believes he has heard something then he should keep quiet and get on with life rather than reporting it. Mind you given that Terry was proved innocent (in a court of law) but gets charged by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute but Antonio Ferdinand (and all other players) get away with the foul language that was aimed at Terry regarding his private life, mum, etc shows how truly ridiculous the FA is.

Hopefully Clattenberg can get on with refereeing and put this behind him, whilst Chelsea can move on knowing it was right to report the event and set a precedent for players to report language used by BOTH players and referees.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:16 pm

Gregers wrote:
Grant Holt V2 wrote:Truly an embarassment of a club. No apology is a disgrace, they've pretty much ruined his name. Action HAS to be taken against them. If they can make all these false allegations and then not apologise and get away with it, then im disillusioned with football

If you actually read it its not a false allegation. Ramires thought he heard Clattenberg say what he did, it was reported. After an enquiry it turns out Clattenberg didn't. Both Chelsea and Clattenberg can go their separate ways knowing that the matter was dealt with in the correct manner. Basically what you are saying Olly is that if a player believes he has heard something then he should keep quiet and get on with life rather than reporting it. Mind you given that Terry was proved innocent (in a court of law) but gets charged by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute but Antonio Ferdinand (and all other players) get away with the foul language that was aimed at Terry regarding his private life, mum, etc shows how truly ridiculous the FA is.

Hopefully Clattenberg can get on with refereeing and put this behind him, whilst Chelsea can move on knowing it was right to report the event and set a precedent for players to report language used by BOTH players and referees.

No apology is a sign of no class whatsoever. An apology is the very least that should be coming from Chelsea seeming as they have dragged his name through the mud.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:24 pm

If you take football out of it and use a real world example then there wouldn't be an apology.

Man a accuses man b of stealing something. Man b says he's innocent and it goes to court. Man b is proved innocent. Man a would never apologise to man a.

And in fact just because clattenberg was 'provef' innocent doesn't mean that Ramires was wrong. He can still believe Clattenberg said what he said he said.

What we've also forgotten is Clattenbergs awful refereeing display in the United vs Chelsea game...

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:27 pm

Gregers wrote:If you take football out of it and use a real world example then there wouldn't be an apology.

Man a accuses man b of stealing something. Man b says he's innocent and it goes to court. Man b is proved innocent. Man a would never apologise to man a.

And in fact just because clattenberg was 'provef' innocent doesn't mean that Ramires was wrong. He can still believe Clattenberg said what he said he said.

What we've also forgotten is Clattenbergs awful refereeing display in the United vs Chelsea game...

Ok it's fine because he had a bad game. We'll just let football clubs nearly ruin referee's careers and names, and not say anything. That'll get a next generation of referee's into the game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:42 pm

That's not what a said olly and you know it.

Clattenberg is 'innocent', no need for Chelsea to apologise.

How we get new referees into football is an interesting question. Maybe bring in tougher sanctions for all abusive language, video technology and treat it that the referees decision is final. Works for cricket, tennis, union, league...

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:46 pm

Gregers wrote:That's not what a said olly and you know it.

Clattenberg is 'innocent', no need for Chelsea to apologise.

How we get new referees into football is an interesting question. Maybe bring in tougher sanctions for all abusive language, video technology and treat it that the referees decision is final. Works for cricket, tennis, union, league...

I will just say I'd be pretty angry and disappointed if this happened and Norwich didn't offer an apology.

In 15/20 years time we are going to have a lack of refs coming through. Needs to be addressed imo
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:50 pm

I agree that something needs to be done to get young refs forward.

However I stand by it not needing an apology. After Terry was found innocent by a court of law by your reckoning Anton should have apologized.

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:51 pm

Gregers wrote:I agree that something needs to be done to get young refs forward.

However I stand by it not needing an apology. After Terry was found innocent by a court of law by your reckoning Anton should have apologized.

Don't get me started on the Ferdinand's Gregers Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:53 pm

But they're such a delightful pair...

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:56 pm

I'm sorry, but if you report something that could end a mans career and hes found innocent you should apologise. Though I can't say I ever really expected a show of class from Chelsea.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:49 pm

I think if Ramires thought he heard it, then he he had every right to report the matter as serious as it was. It doesn't mean he was making it up.

However, I agree, some sort of apology, even if it was along the lines of 'We are sorry Mr.Clattenburg was put in this position but we had to report the allegation and support our player. We would now like to move on from the matter as we are sure Mr.Clattenburg would like to also'.

I think they should pay Clattenburg's wages for every game he missed at the least also. All a big farce, Clattenburg also didn't have THAT bad of game vs Utd, maybe got one decision wrong but even from his view, it did look like Torres had gone down fairly easily.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:11 pm

His display was adequate, Chelsea just went after him as shown by them making it public as soon as humanly possible and by going down an avenue they had learned from he Terry affair i.e. no police report as there was never going to be sufficient evidence to get it to court.

Ramires made it up, no doubt - why on earth would a QC not veto this when the claim is based on someone who doesn't speak English "hearing" something other players closer to the accused would not verify or back up.

It is ludicrous but Chelsea got what they wanted, favourable decisions in the next game and to make noises about fighting racism.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:17 am

Ent wrote:
It is ludicrous but Chelsea got what they wanted,
Not really, they're a bigger laughing stock than they were before.
The majority of football followers (who don't support Chelsea) probably suspect that Chelsea were just being 'sore losers' and trying to spite the referee, which may be true.
Their actions during the JT case were frankly pathetic.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:22 am

Chelsea were absolutely right in reporting what they believed was racism. Ramires obviously believed he heard it, he will have then told Mikel which explains why he reacted angrily to the referee. It's unfortunate for Mark Clattenburg, but at the end of the day we should not vilify Chelsea for reporting what they believed to be racism just because it's been found to be not true.

As for an apology, they probably should have apologised, but they only followed the correct procedure.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:44 am

lol Crimey, do you honestly believe that if Torres hadnt been sent off all this would have happened??

No chance imo, no chance.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:46 am

It Must Be Love wrote:lol Crimey, do you honestly believe that if Torres hadnt been sent off all this would have happened??

No chance imo, no chance.

Chelsea gain nothing from accusing Clattenburg of racism, I think the people who believe Chelsea did this out of spite don't like the club. I'm a Liverpool supporter saying this. Chelsea are only going to get themselves in trouble making accusations like this if they had no grounds to make them.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:56 am

Of course they do.
Clattenburg made some decisions against Chelsea, and he had to go through this cr@p. He has come out with no charges against him, but it's still not a great experience at all for Clattenburg. It must have been a horrific experience for him, no doubt.
Will referees in the future be scared of making decisions against Chelsea again? Who knows? Chelsea have shown the lengths they can go to.

Also Chelsea may have had an agenda to show they are taking 'strong action' against racism after public criticism of the handling of the JT case. Ironically I don't think this claim did much good for the anti-racism at all.
It got SOBL some publicity though.

Btw Chelsea did not have to make this public, they didn't have to do that.
They could have kept this private.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 23 Nov 2012, 8:17 am

1. To suggest they would do something like this out of spite is a very dangerous allegation. To put Clattenburg through suffering does nothing for Chelsea, they've essentially turned referee's against them who are now demanding apologies from Chelsea. Referees will not be scared of making decisions, because they're not stupid enough to think that Chelsea would do something so serious out of sheer spite.

2. I agree that perhaps them reporting it did have something to do with an effort to crack down on racism after the JT incident, and that if this happened before that, they might have not reported anything. That is a good thing though, the JT incident, if anything positive can be brought out of it, is that racism incidents will now be reported because they've been brought to the forefront of football whereas in the past, it might have slipped under the radar. We should not vilify Chelsea for reporting racism, I believe if it's a genuine report, which there is no evidence at all to suggest otherwise, then they should only be applauded for reporting racism and not letting it go unnoticed. In this particular case, it turned out there was no racism, but in another there might have been, that's the point of the report and subsequent investigation.

3. I don't think they had a choice in keeping it public. As far as I am aware, these things are always made public. It wasn't Chelsea releasing statements about FA investigations, police investigations, or Clattenburg missing weeks of refereeing. These things aren't supposed to stay private.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 23 Nov 2012, 9:55 am

I think Chelsea did the right thing in reporting it. Unfortunately, the way they went about it was wrong. The pretty much went straight to the media instead of keeping it under wraps so if it backfired on them like it has done, they would look incredibly foolish.

According to Clattenburg, Mikel used some interesting language towards him, therefore the only action that should be taken against Chelsea is some sort of ban for Mikel (similar to Rooney's ban for swearing into that camera).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 23 Nov 2012, 11:07 am

Mikel isn't denying it either, I believe he just wants to state his case, and no doubt he'll say it's because he was told that Clattenburg had something racist towards him (i.e. because of what Ramires told him) and so was understandably angry. I can see the FA being (IMO rightly) lenient because of this.

It's interesting the differing reaction on this board, on the one hand to support Anton Ferdinand's anger at John Terry for racism he didn't hear, but to not understand Mikel's.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 23 Nov 2012, 4:22 pm

I dont have a problem with Mikel reporting, nor Anton (though Rio is a complete muppet).

Simply Chelsea should have offered an apology considering the potential ramifications. Simply a lack of class.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:09 pm

Offer an apology?????

Admit liability......sorry this is the 21st century......Lawyers wouldn't allow you to If you wanted to..

Nothing to do with Mikel or chelsea having class..........

You're living in cloud cuckoo land.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down