The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Season

3 posters

Go down

A New Season  Empty A New Season

Post by Kenny Sun 25 Nov 2012, 6:29 pm

The new season is fast approaching , with most teams well on the way with player recruitment , so how do you see your teams chances next season ?

Being a HULL KR fan I'm hoping for a top 6 - 8 finish as i think anything higher is a bit unrealistic given the players in and out meening the team will need time to gel . I do think we can have a good season though and that given our first four games are all winnable we could get off to a good start before we get our new halfback in the side and im expecting good things from Travis Burns when he does play ( if he can keep his head ) , people are going on about how we will miss the likes of Green Galea and McDonnell but they all didn't really play a lot last year through injury anyway so dont think that will be a factor . Green going to Wigan has people saying we lost our best player but these are the same people who a few years ago when we signed him were asking who the hell he was , i expect Burns to form a better partnership with Dobson the Green did .

If everyone is fit and we dont sign anyone else then i expect our side to look something like this for the first few games until Burns can play -

Eden
Caro , Gleeson
Hodgson , Welham
Hall , Dobson
Paea , Hodgson , Tuimavave
Paterson , Mika
Lovegrove

bench
Withers , O'Hara , Griffin , Salter
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

A New Season  Empty Re: A New Season

Post by The Beast Mon 26 Nov 2012, 7:51 pm

Bradford I think will depend on injuries/suspensions. With a squad of 26-27 they cannot afford many absences, if they are avoided a top 8 is possible (below), if not perhaps 10th if realistic. Just glad to have a team at all to be honest.

Kearney,Foster,Lulia,Blythe,Kear,Gale,Sammutt,
Scruton, Le Strange, Manuokofoa, Bateman, Whitehead, Langley
Bench; Purtell (If still playing), Walker, Addy, Evans

Good luck to KR, exciting looking back line and I do like Paea and Mika

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Nov 2012, 6:23 pm

Widnes will be looking to avoid finishing bottom again, the addition of Brown is a decent capture but losing Paul McShane going back to Leeds will hit us hard, we need to keep our squad fit and unfortunately there's a few players prone to injury, don't know whether its this i-pitch or not

I really wish we could have kept McShane even if just on loan, we looked more dangerous when he was at the play the ball as opposed to Jon Clarke, who is so slow its often detrimental to the Vikings play

Im made up we managed to bring those couple from Wigan in on permanent contracts, but I still think the pack lacks quality overall

I actually think at home we have a real advantage especially with the playing surface, and could probably take a fair few points from some big teams, on our travels though as long as they're not getting blown out all the time like last season I think Betts would take that now

But as for final position even the optimist in me will say bottom two

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 28 Nov 2012, 3:33 am

Not really sure, given the creative players we have in key positions once Burns get back (Burns & Dobson at halves, Hodgson/Withers at hooker and Hall at loose), and the strike players (Eden,Caro/Brown,Welham,Salter,Gleeson,Hodgson), we should be an exciting team. But we need the defence to turn up for more than a half. Plus not so many injuries as last season.
We could Finnish anywhere from 6th to 13th, though I think we'll be more between 6&10. The fixture list has been kind till end of march/April. Though from 22 June till 16th of Augest looks a bad run.
We should play alot better than last season (though that shouldn't be hard, given how poor we where most of the season), a cup run would be nice as well, we're usually poor, but think we could go far in it this season.
Overall depending on the day/mood I'm swinging from pessimistic to quietly confident, at the moment I think top 8 with at least a quarter final appearance.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 28 Nov 2012, 1:23 pm

I'd love a good cup run for us .

I was talking to my brother-in-law who is a Hull FC fan and he is both looking forward to the new season but is also a bit worried as he feel given the money they have invested that they HAVE to win something next season . I have told him that isn't going to happen Very Happy
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 28 Nov 2012, 3:40 pm

Kenny wrote:I'd love a good cup run for us .

I was talking to my brother-in-law who is a Hull FC fan and he is both looking forward to the new season but is also a bit worried as he feel given the money they have invested that they HAVE to win something next season . I have told him that isn't going to happen Very Happy

I know what you mean, 2006 when we got to the semi final (and that amazing Warrington game), was great and I think gave us the lift during the season (though I used to quite enjoy the NRC, uuntil the final). Given that there's only 2 trophies this is the one I feel we have a realistic chance in.
I was talking to the Leeds fan I work with, and neither of us are really sure of Hull's signings, Holdsworth great, Ellis,Galea great signings if they'd been a couple of years ago (and I'm sorry butmuch rather have kept Manu), Johnson,Arndul & McDonnell okay players but not brilliant. I actually think that Hull won't get in top 4. Could win the cup, but then again everybody with the right draw.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 29 Nov 2012, 11:25 am

Holdsworth is a good signing , Ellis and Galea i agree 2 - 3 years ago yes but i would rather have Manu now. Crookes and Arundell will be good signings i think but maybe not making an impact straight away . I think the feeling is that Hull have put pressure on themselves by spending all this money and by trying to sign and failing to get a scrum half .

They have Seymour and Heremia still on big contracts for two more seasons so even if the do get someone in they would have to pay one or both off their contracts .

To be honest i only get bothered about Hull for the derbies and if they make a final then i want them to lose
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 29 Nov 2012, 5:20 pm

Coming from West Hull, I have alot of acquaintances who are Hull fans, so tend to see how they're doing.

Looking forward to next season, think on our day we will be an interesting side to follow, plus I think the league will be alot closer which should make it interesting. We have potentially a great back division, decent pack. Just need to perform for longer than a spell a game, and the defence to improve alot.
I do believe that given the sides around improvements and losses anything from 2 to 14 could be up for grabs, really need a good start.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 29 Nov 2012, 5:49 pm

I think Bradford will do well if they can avoid injuries to their best players i.e. Bateman and either halves.........oh

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 30 Nov 2012, 2:11 am

The Beast wrote:I think Bradford will do well if they can avoid injuries to their best players i.e. Bateman and either halves.........oh

It's alright Beast, it's not like you're going to sell your halves highly rated understudy to someone like Whitehaven is it? Whistle

I hear Sidlow is almost certainly going to Bradford In part if the deal to take Platt to Salford, I would have thought Bradford would have wanted to Keep Platt given his utility value.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat 01 Dec 2012, 11:33 pm

tigerrobins wrote:
The Beast wrote:I think Bradford will do well if they can avoid injuries to their best players i.e. Bateman and either halves.........oh

It's alright Beast, it's not like you're going to sell your halves highly rated understudy to someone like Whitehaven is it? Whistle

I hear Sidlow is almost certainly going to Bradford In part if the deal to take Platt to Salford, I would have thought Bradford would have wanted to Keep Platt given his utility value.

Lets hope for your sake that nothing happens to Sammut
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 02 Dec 2012, 8:23 am

I hear Sidlow is almost certainly going to Bradford In part if the deal to take Platt to Salford, I would have thought Bradford would have wanted to Keep Platt given his utility value.[/quote]

Let the better young players go......nah no chance. Erm

Regarding the Sidlow/Platt rumour, ideally both Platt (much maligned) did in IMO very well last season however Salford are probably looking to replace Moon whilst at Bradford a, the Prop situation probably is a more a priority than centre/fb/wing and b, there is likely to be a financial consideration. I would guess that Platt who signed during the crazy period will be on a more generous contract than most particularly recent signings.

Kenny, I think you have hit the nail on the head, the squad is as I have commented thin, Sammut needs wrapping in cotton wool!!

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 02 Dec 2012, 2:08 pm

I agree slightly Beast, but if you going to run with a small squad someone like Platt who can cover a few positions is more valuable in my opinion.

What I don't get is why Bradford (& other clubs), aren't looking at championship players, especially with the financial side of things, there are some great players there, who would be cheap, motivated and capable.

Also what's happening with Diskin? I.e these are the sort of players that I'd try to ship out more than the likes of Platt.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 02 Dec 2012, 6:31 pm

tigerrobins wrote:I agree slightly Beast, but if you going to run with a small squad someone like Platt who can cover a few positions is more valuable in my opinion.

What I don't get is why Bradford (& other clubs), aren't looking at championship players, especially with the financial side of things, there are some great players there, who would be cheap, motivated and capable.

Also what's happening with Diskin? I.e these are the sort of players that I'd try to ship out more than the likes of Platt.

Time may well prove you right and I would not disagree as mentioned Platt IMO played well last season I am just guessing at the thought process at the club. With Blythe and Foster in and Purtill reportedly able to play on I suspect they feel there is sufficient cover in those positions, Cummins has said publically that he is looking for "an established" prop. I'd like both but it is not likely.

Diskin is playing on next season (there were incorrect rumours of retirement) to let him go would IMO be a, a mistake he has plenty to offer and b, presumably he would have to be paid at least part of his contract unless someone else comes in. I appreciate he was an example and can however see where you are coming from.

Could not agree more, I don't see much Championship Rugby but Hill (Wire) & Hardaker (Leeds) are examples of what can be achieved, more please and links in with your comment on Diskin.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 02 Dec 2012, 9:30 pm

I'm not disagreeing about Platt, I agree that he played well last year and is in a position that is not the main concern for the club (plus the player may want to leave), I just feel that Sidlow is not what you need, and if you were going to trade you could get a better player.

I agree Diskin has an important role and is a good player(dirty) but good.

I saw a couple of championship games last year (Keighley & I went to finals day), and there are some very good prospects, rough but in the right environment could be very good players, and the standard good if you look at the players who ply there trade in this division. I really don't understand why, with clubs struggling for money why they don't look/take a chance on the talent instead of just going for safe picks. As in my opinion they no bigger risk than most of the Aussies, alot of who seem to get signed just because they played in the NRL, big names yes, alot of the others possibly not.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 09 Dec 2012, 1:47 pm

Adam Pearson the HULL FC owner has back tracked and said he has full faith in Brett Seymour to fill FC's scrum half position next season ................. so much faith that he tried and failed to sign Rangi Chase , Scott Prince and Jacob Miller
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down