The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best exercises..The ones that work for you!!

+9
ultra
liverbnz
theslosty
Geordie
bluestonevedder
incontinentia
Lumbering_Jack
Fists of Fury
TRUSSMAN66
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Best exercises..The ones that work for you!! - Page 2 Empty The Best exercises..The ones that work for you!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 25 Nov 2012, 8:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

You hear a lot of stuff about you have to do Deads, Squats and benches etc.....Which are great exercises for sure.....

But not everybody either has the tools to do them properly or responds like others to the exercises....

I for one haven't done benches for nearly 15 years and my back won't allow for deads or Squats these days....However lot's of chins and rows have increased detail on my back without losing mass..........and I'm currently pressing over 800 on the leg press........and lunges (ouch)

Point is If something doesn't feel right... or It doesn't seem to work... then do something that does!!!

The great thing about bodybuilding is that there are so many ways to "build" your body......

Don't be pressured into doing what doesn't come natural........find the formula that works......push it to the limit ... and enjoy the process!!!

The best exercises....are the ones that work for you!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

The Best exercises..The ones that work for you!! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Best exercises..The ones that work for you!!

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jul 2013, 4:40 pm

I was actually thinking for the likes of squats etc...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

The Best exercises..The ones that work for you!! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Best exercises..The ones that work for you!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:35 am

I used the lying chest press machine for the first time yesterday,,,Always free-weighted and dipped for my chest for the last twenty or so years......

Lifted the stack for 15 reps and got a pump and a sore feeling this morning I haven't felt for a while...

Never been anti-machine like some.......Though range of motion is a problem on many..

I've always believed the body only knows the strain of the exercise and how hard it is so  barbell dogma becomes irrelevant.......

I'll be definitely using the machine again..........Maybe second/third up when I have already pre-exhausted...........15 reps is a tad too many.......

Don't be bullied into always using free-weights by BB boards etc..........look around there may be a machine tailored for you!!.....waiting to give you growth........

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Dunbar Fri 29 Nov 2013, 1:26 pm

Deadlifts, squats, pull ups and dips (all have variations) are central to my workout regime, love all of them.

Jim Dunbar

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Nov 2013, 8:07 pm

Can't go wrong with them Mate........Done properly of course....

Unfortunately after years of deadlifting and squatting........My lower back is a little dixie...

So I look elsewhere for gains.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 26 Mar 2014, 8:13 am

Did some deads the other night for the first time in ages..

12 x 352......Not bad huh...Always been strong in the Squat and Dead...

Bench was always weak though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:49 pm

thats a good deadlift, I never deadlift more than 3 reps a set, or should I say rarely. I deadlift heavy one week and then the following week I would do more speed pulls.

Bench would be one of my stronger areas to be fair.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:13 pm

Low reps for me would be a recipe for disaster with my joints..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:17 pm

On the steroids conversation. I do not use but I know many that do. If people start off with a testosterone base first and work from there and dont stay on forever, or take too high a dosage there should be no problem.

Use and abuse are 2 different things. Also milk thistle could be used on orals and Pct when done. On longer cycles maybe could introduce HCG to the cycle on 2nd or 3rd week until middle of pct. Protein also needs to be upped to get the full benifit of any juice one is using.

Wrong thread!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:21 pm

It's okay..........You talk sense......

Know your stuff.......That's good....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 May 2014, 10:38 pm

Started doing close-grip upright rows again after years of doing shrugs.........Sure I can see improvement or maybe my old eyes are seeing things that aren't there..

Upright rows are more manageable than shrugs at the moment with my sciatica...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 24 Sep 2015, 8:03 am

Any of you guys do standing BB shoulder presses or standing DB presses.

BB's, then DB's as finishers ....a great feeling.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Sep 2015, 11:33 am

I do BB standing shoulder press maybe once every 4 shoulder workouts.....

Tend to do shoulder presses on a machine as i'm very keen to accentuate the negative aspect of the rep...and it's a bit safer.....

Subscribe to the theory that muscles respond to tension and stress ...and as long as the weight is heavy enough it doesn't care whether it gets it from free weight or machine..

Took me a long time to prescribe to this theory though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 24 Sep 2015, 1:15 pm

I sit when do barbell presses. Like to save my back/core for deadlifts and squats.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 04 Feb 2016, 12:17 pm

Currently doing 3 days a week.

Day 1 is heavy bench, followed by shoulder and tricep assistance exercises.

Day 2 Squat and Deadlift. Alternate strength and speed work, depending on week. Also do leg press at the end of the workout. I go very light on these. something like 250-300kg and focus on form and exploding.

Day 3 is some other bodybuilding/assistance work. Mostly some more legs, back and arms. also I work a bit on core at home.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Feb 2016, 11:20 pm

Never understood how anybody can do Squat and deadlifts in the same workout...

Can't be training balls to the wall..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 2:06 pm

You obviously have no clue about powerlifting. Google Tom Martin and Andy Bolton. These two guys do both an train hard.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 3:40 pm

Also when I train balls to the wall on squat, deadlift will sometimes be speed work.

In a comp you have to be able to perform all 3 in the same day. Bodybuilding and Powerlifting/strongman is two different things. Bodybuilders train the muscle to failure. Strength is a side effect of the training. Strength athletes train their central nervous system. That is the main goal.

Name half a dozen bodybuilders who can squat and deadlift 360kg with zero equipment, like suits. Top strength athletes play with that weight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 5:28 pm

When have I said powerlifters don't train hard..

FFS address what I write instead of what you think I'm writing. .

Anyone that goes through a tough squat session should have little in the tank left for Deads...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 5:50 pm

Well I hit a pb with deadlifts after squatting heavy. Many lifters do the same.

You obviously train for pump. Two different ways of lifting.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 5:53 pm

I train to failure...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 5:57 pm

Yes bodybuilders do. That's why you can't imagine what we do. Sometimes we go to failure. Obviously if I squat 140kg 4 sets to failure of 10-15 reps, I couldn't deadift.

Powerlifters have to watch and not overtrain. It's all about training the CNS. Plus if I train the two movements in one day, they get a full weeks recovery.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:17 pm

You think bodybuilders don't powerlift.??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:23 pm

Not propert no. They might lift heavy, bu they train to failure. They don't train for explosiveness. There are reasons why bodybuilders have huge muscles but are much weaker than elite lifters. Different styles of training.

I'm not saying bodybuilders are weak, but I haven't seen many true natural ones.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:24 pm

Natural strong ones, that is.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:55 pm

AdamT wrote:Not propert no. They might lift heavy, bu they train to failure. They don't train for explosiveness. There are reasons why bodybuilders have huge muscles but are much weaker than elite lifters. Different styles of training.

I'm not saying bodybuilders are weak, but I haven't seen many true natural ones.

Like Ronnie Coleman.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:01 pm

Coleman is strong, but his max deadlift is 800lb For two. Also he could only half squat 800 wearing a squat suit. I can name powerlifters at 100kg much stronger than Ronnie in compound exercises.

Have you heard of Ed Hall?? Have you seen any bodybuilder even close to him in power?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:02 pm

I don't want to continue the debate. I love golden age bodybuilding and don't want to sh1t over the sport. Just not a fan of th freaks now.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:25 pm

Neither am I..

But if you're doing Squats and Deads you aren't training to failure.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 9:04 pm

I never said I was training to failure.

what has training to failure got to do with gaining strength? Usain Bolt doesn't run 10sec sprints every session.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2