The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any DC/Superman fans around here?

4 posters

Go down

Any DC/Superman fans around here? Empty Any DC/Superman fans around here?

Post by talkingpoint Tue 11 Dec 2012, 3:14 pm

Okay so I'm a massive Batman fanatic and love collecting and reading the graphic novels. I've been very impressed so far with the new 52 reboot. However, a character I've never really given much page time to is Superman. But, after seeing the teaser trailer before the Dark Knight Rises earlier this year for the new Man of Steel film my interest in the character spiked dramatically. The trailer was so well made that I decided to invest in some Superman graphic novels. I've read Superman Earth one volumes 1 & 2 and really enjoyed their take on the origin story. However, my question is (for those familiar with the Earth One volumes) is this a new interpretation of Superman or just a modernised version of the old one? Basically was Clark Kent bullied at school and did his attempts to hide his real powers mean he became an outcast and a loner? It seemed to me that in the story they've tried to make Superman out to be more human, to empathise with our vulnerability and struggles much more. I personally like this approach (being a Batman fan I've always been more into the realism side of comic books). I also liked the way the world didn't readily embrace Superman with open arms either, once he had revealed himself but rather erred on the side of caution having just discovered an alien with such superhuman powers. Have I discriminated against Superman for all these years for no good reason or is this a conscious decision to take the character in a new direction? Either way I look forward to reading more Superman novels in future with the new 52. Smile

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Any DC/Superman fans around here? Empty Re: Any DC/Superman fans around here?

Post by randy-poffo Tue 11 Dec 2012, 8:48 pm

I've never been a big DC fan in genral and have always been more marvel, but my mate has been raving on about the new Superman GN's.
So will have to have a look to see what all the fuss is about.

At the minute i'm reading through the hedge Knight by George Martin, being a fan of his A song of Ice and Fire i thought i would give it a go and it's impressive.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 11 Dec 2012, 10:56 pm

Have never followed Superman in print to be honest, but the best story I've read (partly because it was so well received and highly acclaimed) is probably All Star Superman [Grant Morrison / Frank Quitely]. As an All Star title, it falls outside the official continuity though.

PS: new Man of Steel trailer out, just posted a link in the films section.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Mon 07 Jan 2013, 6:27 pm

You may want to re-examine your DC fandom after checking out this site full of vintage samples.

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down