The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

+2
Skydriver
Morgannwg
6 posters

Go down

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Empty Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Post by Morgannwg Mon 07 Jan 2013, 8:52 pm

I love the Idianna Jones character, Ford played him superbly well (but just imagine Hamill as Indy Laugh). Temple of Doom aside, which was a waste of time, I have enjoyed every movie. Yes, that includes the latest one. I know some critics killed it and it gets some stick on this forum too. My question is why? I thought it was good (just not as good as 1 & 3). After watching it for the first time in the cinema, I was sat with my team at work the following week. One of my colleagues said how rubbish and farfetched it was. Was it more farfetched than the first 3? No, just a new idea to go with the up to date theories. She was a woman though so probably doesn't understand a good movie when one hits her across the face. Just like she didn't have an answer to what I said!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Empty Re: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Post by Skydriver Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:01 pm

As far as I understand, folks generally don't like:

* the gophers (which I interpret as a proxy protest against CGI in an Indy film)
* the fridge (to the extent that "nuking the fridge" has apparently become part of the movie critic lexicon)
* Shia Laboeuf, esp the swinging-on-vines-faster-than-trucks
* and possibly the sci fi aspect (which was deliberate I think - time has moved on 20 or so years in the movie, and so the filmmakers felt it was appropriate to also evolve from Saturday morning adventure serial to B movie 50s sci fi)

I thought it was quite good, unexpectedly enjoyed it more on 2nd viewing. But hey, I am very fond of Temple of Doom too.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:12 pm

Must admit that I can't really put my finger on exactly why Kingdom of the Krystal Skull doesn't quite work as well as the earlier films, but for me it just doesn't

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:15 pm

This sums up the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for me - thanks to South Park http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/b6a63cac1f/indiana-jones-gets-raped-by-george-lucas-and-steven-spielberg-from-tubulargoldmine

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:30 pm

Crystal Skull > ET

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 07 Jan 2013, 9:43 pm

Sand Sharks > Crystal Skull

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 08 Jan 2013, 1:03 pm

Morgannwg wrote:I love the Idianna Jones character, Ford played him superbly well (but just imagine Hamill as Indy Laugh).

I've just remembered that Tom Selleck was the original first choice for Dr Henry Jones Jr, but he was no longer available at crunch time having been signed up for Magnum PI. Someone must surely have asked him how he feels about missing out on being Indiana Jones, but if he ever gave a reply, I don't know what it was.

On a related point, it's very strange how the Magnum PI theme tune is now gracing our TV screens again (albeit for a series of insurance(?) adverts).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:03 pm

I know Hamill was upset about not even being considered for the role, and is still adamant being Luke Skywalker wasn't good for his career. I don't think would have liked Selleck as Indy, he's too cool and laid back for the role.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:03 pm

Adam D wrote:Sand Sharks > Crystal Skull

Sand Shark, WTF? laughing
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 09 Jan 2013, 3:20 pm

Skydriver wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:I love the Idianna Jones character, Ford played him superbly well (but just imagine Hamill as Indy Laugh).

I've just remembered that Tom Selleck was the original first choice for Dr Henry Jones Jr, but he was no longer available at crunch time having been signed up for Magnum PI. Someone must surely have asked him how he feels about missing out on being Indiana Jones, but if he ever gave a reply, I don't know what it was.

On a related point, it's very strange how the Magnum PI theme tune is now gracing our TV screens again (albeit for a series of insurance(?) adverts).

Selleck was fairly philosophical about it, saying he thought he would have done a pretty good job, but Ford had made the role his own, so he didn't really think too much about it. I guess the subsequent success of Magnum helped. He got to wear the costume in the 'Lost Art' episode.

Temple of Doom is actually my favourite Indy film. The first 15 minutes or so, up to "We're in India" may be my favourite bit of cinema ever.

Crystal Skull - it looked too 'sound-stage'/CGI in too many places. I hated the the opening credit sequence - a vague car chase (Temple of Doom had a fantasy musical extravaganza! Brilliant!) and all the other films started with Indy (or young Indy) actively involved in an adventure with some originality. Here he's locked in the boot of a car for the first 5 minutes then escapes some goons with guns in a warehouse. Nah.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 09 Jan 2013, 10:00 pm

Thanks, very interesting.

I'm also a big fan of the opening of Temple of Doom.

Indiana Jones in a tuxedo! A Cole Porter number sung in Mandarin! Club Obi Wan! Where's the diamond/where's the antidote? For chris'sake, we only just met!

Nice try, Lao Che...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 09 Jan 2013, 10:26 pm

There are still shots taken from Selleck's screen test (opposite Sean Young testing for Marion) in "The Complete Making Of Indiana Jones" book.

The full title of the Magnum 'Raiders' episode is "Legend of the Lost Art"

Who are you calling an '80s geek? Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down