The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Masters

+8
daraghj82
RKW
EdWoodjr
Mike Selig
eirebilly
VTR
Dave.
The Special Juan
12 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2013 Masters - Page 3 Empty 2013 Masters

Post by The Special Juan Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:14 am

First topic message reminder :

Here's the draw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Masters_%28snooker%29

I thought I'd do something different and go through the contenders and rate their chances. I'll fail spectacularly but it'll be fun!!

Name: Neil Robertson
World Ranking: 5
Seeding: 1
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Hard-hitting
Chance of winning: High. Robbo's looking somewhat back to his best and as defending champion I fancy his chances of defending the title. He knows how to win this event, which is probably the second hardest event on tour to win, and has taken to the Ally Pally well since the event moved from the Wembley Arena. He faces Ding in the first round who may or may not turn up. Robbo will have a good run here and will top the year-end rankings (not the end of season rankings).

Name: Ding Junhui
World Ranking: 11
Seeding: 10
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Streaky
Chance of winning: Medium. Ding is undoubtedly one of the best players on the tour but can sometimes go walkabout mentally. He is as good as any other player but is fragile under pressure and is not in good form at the moment. Against Robertson in the first round I don't fancy his chances and think it will be another first round exit on the BBC this season for him.

Name: Mark Allen
World Ranking: 8
Seeding: 8
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Controversial
Chance of winning: Low. Whilst no one doubts Mark Allen's ability, it's his off-the-table comments which have gathered more media attention than his on-the-table work. He's been at loggerheads with nearly everyone in the game (fellow players, Barry Hearn, China) and I think this has hampered his game. I'm a big fan of Mark but until he gets his head back in the game I can't see him winning one of the big prizes.

Name: Mark Davis
World Ranking: 16
Seeding: 16:
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Dangerous
Chance of winning: Low. For years Mark Davis was a journeyman; close but no cigar when it came to the Top 16. However, with the introduction of more tournaments, crucially those of a shorter format, Mark has been punching above his weight and is now inside that elusive Top 16. Whilst he is a danger man over the shorter format as he proved at the UK Championship, he normally is found out over the longer format. Although up until the final is first to 6, the final is first to 10 so even if he does make the final, he will not win. I think he will get past Mark Allen in the first round though.

Name: Shaun Murphy
World Ranking: 4
Seeding: 5
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Fluid
Chance of winning: High. This is the title Shaun wants above all. The chance to join those 7 players who have won the World Championship, the UK Championship and the Masters. Murphy's potting is excellent, his safety is up there with the best, he can win scrappy frames which has made him one of the elite players on the circuit and is simply awesome when in full fluid, especially with that wonderful, wonderful cue action. He may not be the most popular person with the snooker audiences but he is a dangerous player and one who I think will do very well in this tournament. Will he win it? He's definitely in the mix.

Name: Ricky Walden
World Ranking: 12
Seeding: 11
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Nervous
Chance of winning: Low. Poor Ricky, he always looks so nervous!! Despite being a two-time ranking event winner (in China at the start of the season), he's underperformed in the big events in Britain; both of his major wins have come in China. He faces Murphy in the first round and although Ricky can beat anyone on his day, Shaun's in form after reaching the final of the UK Championship last month and although I'm a fan of Ricky and want him to do well, I can't see him winning.

Name: John Higgins
World Ranking: 4
Seeding: 4
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Great
Chance of winning: Medium. John's chances are lower in this event compared to all other events because simply, for some unknown reason, he either reaches the finals or loses in the first round. This was perhaps due to the old arena which John admitted he didn't like, but there is something about the tournament which makes him susceptible to early losses. Make no mistake; if John Higgins brings his A game, he wins, but I can only judge him on his past record and despite being a 2 time winner, I don't see him winning, unfortunately for myself.

Name: Ali Carter
World Ranking: 15
Seeding: 14
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Steady
Chance of winning: Medium. Ali's a dark horse for this tournament. A fully fit Ali Carter is a dangerous man. He's a former World Number 2, two time Crucible Finalist and two time major winner. When he plays at his best he's very difficult to beat. He tried to grind Ronnie in the World Final which was never going to work against a focused Rocket and would have had more of a chance playing his normal game I think. He faces Higgins in the first round which is winnable but a potential QF final match v Murphy might have Ali thinking about their last meeting...

Name: Mark Selby
World Ranking: 1
Seeding: 3
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Consistent
Chance of winning: High. Despite being a two time winner of this event in 2007 and 2009 (with another final appearance in between), his recent UK Championship will let both Selby and his opponents know he can win on the big stage. Selby's won PTC events this year (including the last one in Munich) and has now, in my opinion, evolved into the complete all round player, second only to Higgins. People might complain about Selby's "slow play" but through sheer consistency he is rightfully the current world number 1 and I think he will make the final v Robertson.

Name: Stuart Bingham
World Ranking: 10
Seeding: 9
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: "Purple"
Chance of winning: Low. At the UK Championship there was a lot talk about Bingham being the most in-form player in the land. It was true then but not now I feel. Despite having some good results on the BBC over the past 18 months I think Bingham's purple patch is over. He'll be in the Top 16 for a while longer I'm sure but do I see him as a major contender for this title? No and I reckon Selby will send him home in the first round, although if he beats Selby he'll have a run...

Name: Mark J Williams
World Ranking: 6
Seeding: 6
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Enigmatic
Chance of winning: Low. Is there a snooker player in such a rut as MJW? He's in arguably the worst form of his career; falling down the rankings every update (he was World Number 1 not that long ago!!) and hasn't won anything for nearly a year now. Of course MJW on top form is a dangerous opponent for anyone but the fact is he's not and his first round opponent, Matthew Stevens, will know this and will look to capitalise on this. I think he will and a first round exit looms for one of the game's greats.

Name: Matthew Stevens
World Ranking: 13
Seeding: 13
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Rejuvenated
Chance of winning: Medium. Matthew is one of the game's great underachievers, despite being an ex-UK and Masters Champion. If he hadn't gone walkabout during the middle of his career who knows how many titles he'd have ended up with? The introduction of the PTC's and the general increase in matches has helped Matthew tremendously in getting back to near his best. In this tournament, I think he will beat Williams in the first round and will have a good chance of reaching the semi-finals. He's a dark horse for this title.

Name: Stephen Maguire
World Ranking: 7
Seeding: 7
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Underachiever
Chance of winning: Low. People make talk about Ronnie, for all his talent, being the game's biggest underachiever but I think that title goes to Stephen. For such a brilliant player, all he has to really show for his career is a solitary UK Championship victory many years ago. He's shown signs of making a comeback, especially this year with some PTC finals, but I don't see him threatening the top players this time around and with a fellow countryman who's returning to form in this first round, Stephen might be lucky to escape first round defeat.

Name: Graeme Dott
World Ranking: 14
Seeding: 12
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Dogged
Chance of winning: Low. One of my favourite quotes about Graeme Dott is this: "Dogged Scot. Once forgot to don pants for match." No word sums up Graeme Dott like "dogged"; this man has reached 3 World Finals (winning 1) with sheer grit and determination. He's been in such poor form recently that I wouldn't have given him a hope v Maguire but he reached a PTC final a few days ago (losing in the final against Selby) which makes me think he can win his first round tie. He's not great over a short format but this match is 50-50 and either player can win it.

Name: Judd Trump
World Ranking: 2
Seeding: 2
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Flair (is flair an adjective? I don't care)
Chance of winning: High. Judd Trump. The ex-World Number 1. The current World Number 2. Last year's UK Champion. This year's Shanghai Masters finalist. I can throw as many sentence fragments as I want in this paragraph but in short, Judd Trump is dangerous no matter what the format, no matter what the tournament, no matter what the opponent. Can he win this title? Yes. Will he win this title? Possibly. He's not my favourite to do so but he could quite easily blitz everyone in his way. I think he'll reach the semi-finals at least.

Name: Barry Hawkins
World Ranking: 17
Seeding: 15
Adjective I'd use to describe this player: Journeyman
Chance of winning: Low. For years Barry was hovering about the Top 16, much the same as Mark Davis, but never really made it in. He's been in and out over the past 2/3 years and is in this event due to the circumstances surrounding Stephen Lee. Therefore, there is no pressure on him but unfortunately for Barry he's drawn Trump in the first round. He can win against Trump but on TV at the Masters? I don't see it and I think the current Australian Open Champion leaves us in the first round.

My prediction: Robertson beats Selby in the final 10-8 (although it could just as easily be the other way around).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

2013 Masters - Page 3 Empty Re: 2013 Masters

Post by The Special Juan Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 am

What are you watching?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:37 pm

It was 4-4, Higgins got into a poor position needing a final red, misses a really difficult cut down the table, lands Murphy in a flucky snooker behind the brown. Murphy fluffs the 2-cushion escape, Higgins goes on to win the frame.

Glad Murphy still won though 2013 Masters - Page 3 3559488474

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 pm

great for robbo yesterday. i think will judd will beat dotty if he plays his best game, however graeme has being playing well of late, runner up to selby in the munich tournament. i think selby to beat williams.

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Can't disagree with that, Judd and Selby for me too OK

Then Robbo vs Selby final, Robbo repeat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Has Judd Trump ever played so badly in his life? Every time he's played a safety he's pushed a red over the corner, and every half-difficult pot he's missed. Amazing. Dott hasn't exactly done anything fantastic, but 5-1 up.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm a fan of Judd but he seems to have lost his way since getting to no1. He had a terrible collapse in the UK first round and it getting tonked here. Those long pots just don't seem to be going in anymore, its like watching Jimmy White sometimes!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Wow, all over. Massive win for Dott. What has happened to Judd?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:10 pm

Superb Graeme. An absolutely magnificent result for him. clap
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:20 am

This match could drag on..........
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 am

Opener is scrappiest frame I've ever seen. Surprise surprise, Selby won it.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:54 am

I think Selby's on his way to ending another legend's career. He mullered Hendry 2 years ago at the Crucible and if this carries it, not only will it be 6-0 but MJW may seriously consider his future.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:22 am

The Special Juan wrote:I think Selby's on his way to ending another legend's career. He mullered Hendry 2 years ago at the Crucible and if this carries it, not only will it be 6-0 but MJW may seriously consider his future.

The Randy Orton of snooker.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:45 am

I can't remember Mark Williams ever being whitewashed. Not even in a best-of-9.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:36 am

Legend killer?

Poor from MJW but it was one of those days and he never really got himself into the match at all. He was probably a bit lucky to get 1 frame actually.

Anyway, the semi-final lineup is:

Selby v Dott
Robertson v Murphy

I know which match I'd rather watch.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:00 am

Haha true TSJ, although watching Dott getting beat is always enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:05 pm

It has to be Selby's titel now. Kind of gutted for Williams as i thought this might be his last swansong.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:17 pm

He was so bad last night it was unbelievable and he looked a shadow of his former self. I'd like to see Higgins and Williams walk away at the end of the season, not because both are past it like Hendry was but because I want to see two of the sports greatest ever players leave at the top and not put in dreadful performances like last night.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:11 pm

Nice shirt Shaun!! I guess someone left their red socks in with the whites.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:53 pm

This is a very good match, as you'd expect it to be. However, Neil's lost three frames in this tournament so far due to the ball rolling off.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:01 pm

A few years ago I really didn't like Neil but he's one of my favourites now. A superb 132 takes him to 2-1.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:59 pm

I was thinking the same thing TSJ, Williams is just not performing to the standard we all know he can and has done. Not so sure about John Higgins, he is the kind of player that can still win a worlds.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:09 pm

5-2 Robertson. Murphy will win this.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Dont say that Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Nah he didn't. What a good performance from Neil. Hopefully Selby can win today (sorry Graeme) and set up a fantastic final.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:57 pm

I like Dott, always have. On form and confidence he is one of the best players on the circuit.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:01 pm

So do I. He's a vastly underrated player and is similar to Ebdon in that he's very difficult to stop when he gets momentum in the long format of the game.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:28 pm

He can be a very flowing player when on song. I kind of hope he wins but i cant see past Selby to be honest.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:01 am

This is a good match. Dott's quickened considerably since the last time I saw him on TV.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:49 am

Selby is badly off the pace tonight. He'll be lucky to get out of this.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:20 am

Graeme must be one of the most likeable players in snooker.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by RKW Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:12 am

Someone tell eirebilly the next time he's on that I am after him, ta

RKW

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:55 am

Thank god I'm not on early start tomorrow.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:57 am

Seems the fighters are geting through in this one.

Robbo over Ding again after looking lost. Hendrys right about Murphy not going on after 30-50 point leads. His concentration is consistently questioned when he gets near the point of knowing the frame could be won. He needs to fix that before the Worlds as hes one of my favourite players to watch.

Hendrys right about Dott as well in that hes able to battle despite playing poorly. He doesnt beat himself up when he misses in the way Judd and others do.

One thing I've noticed now that we get the main events here live now is with the high standard of potting these days the most common way a player misses a pot is through 'kicks'- usually right in the middle of a good break.

It just seems this is 'an unavoidable part of the game' that everyone accepts without question.

Is there anything in the works that ever looks at this part of the sport?

The chalk crunching in between the balls is something that can't be avoided even if cleaning every single ball before each shot where the offending chalk is that from the shot itself or debris picked up by the white from the nap on its way to the ball (the only ways I'm aware of that result in kicks).

But its killing some frames on a very regular basis from what I've seen.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:51 am

I think they've tried looking at them but as of yet I've not heard of anything in the works. Some of the kicks are caused by the players digging down on the ball or just hitting it poorly (the cueball is bouncing before it makes contact with the object ball). I think a lot of kicks are caused by debris picked up by the object or cueball but as of yet I don't think there's a definite answer as to why these "heavy contacts" happen.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:20 am

Selby's great at getting himself into ridiculous positions on a snooker table Laugh
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:26 am

Well done Mark. I hope he doesn't get called in for a random drugs test, else he'll be up all night.

On a side note, this is the worst table I've ever seen in all my years of watching snooker.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:14 am

Enjoyed the match. Tuned in to see Dott go 4-1 up, thought it would be 5-1 but selby dug in and was deserved winner. Dott lost his momentum sadly but he gave it a good go so can hold his head high. That plant in 2nd last frame was phenomenal, then he misses a semi tough brown Doh

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Yes that brown was unreal. The plant he hit on top of the back red which makes it all the more amazing. It was early afternoon here but obviously post midnight stuff there so a real survival match.

Selby fought the same way in the UK in December to win it but I just felt the class wasnt there in either tournament- the deepest diggers winning out. Hate to say it but with Dott, Selby and co bumbling away the absence of Ronnie is markedly obvious. Some situations in the last 8 of both tournaments Ronnie at 80% would have cruised past this lot. As good as some of the centuries were, the lack of consistency from any single player was clear.

I'll go for Robbo to beat a tired Selby (cant stand Selbys head shaking regardless of what causes it- its gotta be hurting his accuracy)and Robbo from memory has yet to lose a final?? Might be wrong.

Hendrys comments about his amatuerish mindset though were incredible- he hopes to get position....jeez. Love Hendrys commentary- his attacking legacy comes through strongly in his commentary- particularly the mental side of things.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:43 pm

I have an idea that Selby will win, its just when will Robbo deploy the cough tactic Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi ya Billy...yeah hed be favourite being no.1 recently and the UK and all.

He might be a bit fatigued with the dott match where robbo will be fresh as and will look to up the tempo. So Robbo if its quick... Selby if its a battle as hes the toughest at the moment...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:29 pm

*Stupid post removed*

Last edited by The Special Juan on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:45 pm

TSJ, you predicted this final correctly did you have any money on?

You went for Robertson to win 10-8 do you still fancy that?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:48 pm

I didn't have any money on it but I suspect that's why the final happened!! I fancy Neil to win it but 10-8.... Sure, why not?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Hmmm Neil's not started. He doesn't want to give Selby a head start in this final. 5-3 down at the end of the session must be the target at the very least for Robbo.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:54 pm

First century of the tournament for Mark and it's 3-0.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi Taylorman, long time no chat.

Robbo has his work cut out for him here. Selby looks very good in amongst the reds.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Selby 3 - 1 Robbo at the MSI. Important last frame for Robbo that.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:54 pm

This match is a great advert for modern snooker. Two great break builders who aren't enormous fatties and don't drink or smoke during frames.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 am

Some atmosphere tonight!! The boys are on the baize, it's time to begin. I don't know what the whole Jenga thing was about though!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 am

The Special Juan wrote:This match is a great advert for modern snooker. Two great break builders who aren't enormous fatties and don't drink or smoke during frames.

What do you think this is? Darts?

I've been impressed by the Jester.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next