The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atlantic league

3 posters

Go down

Atlantic league Empty Atlantic league

Post by spencerclarke Thu 10 Jan 2013, 9:10 pm

Evening all.

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this so admins please feel free to move.

I've just been listening to the radio and with rangers threatening to leave Scottish football the discussions have turned once more to a potential Atlantic league. This would be made up of teams from a number of leagues outside the big five. For example Scotland, Holland, Belgium, Portugal, Norway etc.

I'm intrigued what people's thoughts are? The biggest problem I have with this idea isthe travelling for away fans and the probably ending of teams in the supporting leagues. Ie Scottish league two and three

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Atlantic league Empty Re: Atlantic league

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:45 am

This has been mooted a few times over the years, usually by Celtic and Rangers, nothing has come of it so far.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 11 Jan 2013, 8:35 pm

It seemed to be getting a fair bit of support on the radio from some ex players. I wonder what's thought of it in the countries of the other potential participants.

Some of the league's involved are not that competitive so it may have some legs from that front.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Fri 18 Jan 2013, 3:03 pm

Not read too much into this

Would the league be like Super League (Rugby) where teams would have to apply to be a franchise or would there promotion and relegation through a league structure with several divisions?
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 18 Jan 2013, 3:27 pm

I believe it's still very much under discussion at the mo by the sounds of it. I would imagine it would all come down to how many teams would be interested. Its by no means guaranteed to happen but a lot of clubs are becoming disillusioned at the big leagues pulling further away from them

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 18 Jan 2013, 3:32 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_League_(football)

A bit of a history of the previous attempts

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Fri 18 Jan 2013, 4:06 pm

Personally I'd be more interested in watching a match between the Old Firm and the likes Ajax, Feyenoord or Porto rather than a scottish premership team!

Can't remember the last time I watch a Scottish Premership game but I've enjoy watching Celtic in the champions league this season.
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sat 19 Jan 2013, 5:21 am

One thing I would wonder is that presumably this league would have a maximum of 4 champions league places, the teams that want to form this league are presumably used to regular champs league qualification (certainally the old firm and the big dutch and portuguese clubs are), so would any potential TV deal that comes with this league be big enough to offset the fact that european competition is no longer a garuntee?

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down