The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prescott wants Matthysse

+10
Imperial Ghosty
azania
KO-KING
bellchees
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
eddyfightfan
AlexHuckerby
TRUSSMAN66
Valero's Conscience
hampo17
14 posters

Go down

Prescott wants Matthysse Empty Prescott wants Matthysse

Post by hampo17 Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Breidis Prescott has said he'd be willing to fight Matthysse as a way of keeping busy while Danny Garcia is injured. Prescott has apparently said he'd be happy to stand in the middle of the ring and trade instead of boxing.

Would be exciting while it lasted as both hit very hard.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Prescott wants Matthysse Empty Re: Prescott wants Matthysse

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Mattyysse may have no choice if no other viable fights come his way.

Prescott will fight anyone for money. Always comes across as desperate.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Now let's see you want to keep your fighter busy waiting for a title shot...

So you get a big banger like Prescott in!!........Slim and none..

Anyway tired of Prescott.....been milking the Khan win too long now...

He's like a faded movie star who burst on the scene and has had only flops since... still thinking he's worth something!! Just take a hike..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:06 pm

Would be great, he had an awesome fight with Alvarado who is a similar type of fighter. Would definitely make for a great fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:59 pm

exactly alex, the alvarado fight was epic, and very nearly prescott's early, but alverado was stronger down the stretch (and of course he has gone on to show against rios he is worth his salt), and prescott had a home town decision go against him with mccloskey, i think i had him 3-4 rounds down. a win over khan and few other KO wins recently make me feel he probably deserves the fight, and would actually hold parallels with a garcia fight, so make sense. that said i dont think prescott does anything matteysse cant do better, so there may be better ways to a title if thats where prescott is looking. if he just wants the dollars then it would definitely get me watching and i could see a very decent scrap emerging.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:35 pm

As a stay busy fight can't see too much wrong with it

He wants to fight Garcia, that much is obvious. He won't be fighting Judah untill April now, meaning that (if he decides to fight Matthysse in the first place) that that fight won't come about until July at the earliest

I don't rate Prescott, as Truss said he has been living off the Khan KO for too long, BUT I do believe that he has started to go about thing sin the right direction (not waiting for Khan) and was very unlucky not to get the decision agaisnt Mcklosky and was up agaisnt Alvarado before he was stopped in a real good fight, he is starting to use his range and height now

For a stay busy fight it'll be decent and presuming it'll be a good fight (which it most probably will) than its some much needed exposure that will get him the big fights.

Prescott might carry a punchers chance but Matthysse's chin looks very good so I doubt he will get beat but you never know. Matthysse can do everything Alvarado can do but a little better. Better offensively and defensively, better footwork, better body puncher and has more power albeit slightly slower than Mike

Matthysse KO 7 in a good fight where he get decked (or seriously hurt) for the first time as a pro

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:38 pm

To be honest I would love to see Prescott take out the ridiculously overrated Matthysse.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:To be honest I would love to see Prescott take out the ridiculously overrated Matthysse.

well i wouldnt put your house on it

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:50 am

I like this fight if it happens.

If Prescott has learnt from his mistakes he is a dangerous man for any of the guys at 140. He has wins over Khan and Abril (both a bit green at the time but so was Prescott) and should also have beaten McCloskey but was on the wrong end of a poor decision. He boxed well against Alvarado for the most part but got silly and hopefully he's learnt from that. If he can fully develop into a rangy boxer puncher with genuine power he'll be a handful but I'd still expect Matthysse to win.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:To be honest I would love to see Prescott take out the ridiculously overrated Matthysse.

well i wouldnt put your house on it

Think he has a decent chance to be honest, maybe not knocking him out,

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:56 pm

decent fight, Prescott gets stopped late, he gasses badly, I could very well see him in the lead on the cards after 6.

Mathysse TKO 8

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:59 pm

THe problem that Prescott has always had is that he puts so much steam into the first few rounds and then gasses.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:Mattyysse may have no choice if no other viable fights come his way.

Prescott will fight anyone for money. Always comes across as desperate.

Isn't that the point of being a pro boxer?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:42 pm

The result depends on the weight Lucas comes in at. He will be too big for Pressy and shots will bounce off him I reckon. He is not hard to hit but takes a punch well. Now we know why.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Come on Breidis.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 pm

azania wrote:The result depends on the weight Lucas comes in at. He will be too big for Pressy and shots will bounce off him I reckon. He is not hard to hit but takes a punch well. Now we know why.

Thing is, he's only ever come in at such a massive weight once as far as I know, however he's always been durable.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 pm

What is it you think he does so badly? He's tough, he can hit and hit hard, his speed isn't bad, his timing is good, he closes the ring down well, plays to his strengths, he's relaxed and is pretty good at backing off and avoiding shots when he needs to. Simple, effective defense in the high guard. Dallas is nothing like elite but he's quick and rangy and couldn't tag Lucas with anything solid before the knockout.

If he's so overrated how come he hasn't been shown up? He's got in with two quick, slick southpaws and - although the result is apparently debatable - he certainly wasn't shown up in any way other than maybe slow starting against Zab which he's improved. I certainly wouldn't pick another bully like Rios over him with any confidence.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:52 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:

What is it you think he does so badly? He's tough, he can hit and hit hard, his speed isn't bad, his timing is good, he closes the ring down well, plays to his strengths, he's relaxed and is pretty good at backing off and avoiding shots when he needs to. Simple, effective defense in the high guard. Dallas is nothing like elite but he's quick and rangy and couldn't tag Lucas with anything solid before the knockout.

If he's so overrated how come he hasn't been shown up? He's got in with two quick, slick southpaws and - although the result is apparently debatable - he certainly wasn't shown up in any way other than maybe slow starting against Zab which he's improved. I certainly wouldn't pick another bully like Rios over him with any confidence.

I think he's very good at the weight, just thnk he's massively overrated in terms of the fact that people seem to think he's unbeatable.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:20 pm

I don't think anybody thinks he's unbeatable, simply that it would take a top operator to do it and that operator may not currently be at 140.

You don't need to be unbeatable to destroy Prescott, although I do think it would be a great fight for the first few rounds at least.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by boxing prospect Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:22 pm

It'd be a fun fight and I think at the end of the day that's what we should all be wanting. Matthysse to me strikes out as a guy who will fight anyone if he's offered them, so it's whether or not he'll be offered someone else instead.

boxing prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:34 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:

I think he's very good at the weight, just thnk he's massively overrated in terms of the fact that people seem to think he's unbeatable.

Do people think that? Not as far as I can see. He's tough and exciting and he's proved that he can hang with top guys. You also get the impression that he's getting better. Fair enough that people are excited to see what he can do, but I don't think anyone is saying he's going to dominate against all comers at 140/147. He's the type of fighter that might not be the very best himself, but only the very best will beat him convincingly.

Prescott would be entertaining. I think Lucas would take him out. His timing is too good for Prescott's wild swings. I'd much prefer so see Matthyse in with someone higher up the 140 ladder e.g. Garcia, Khan, Judah rematch, Rios, maybe Alvarado.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 pm

boxing prospect wrote:It'd be a fun fight and I think at the end of the day that's what we should all be wanting. Matthysse to me strikes out as a guy who will fight anyone if he's offered them, so it's whether or not he'll be offered someone else instead.

Except for Maidana when they were both competing at the same division.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Do people think that? Not as far as I can see. He's tough and exciting and he's proved that he can hang with top guys. You also get the impression that he's getting better. Fair enough that people are excited to see what he can do, but I don't think anyone is saying he's going to dominate against all comers at 140/147. He's the type of fighter that might not be the very best himself, but only the very best will beat him convincingly.

Prescott would be entertaining. I think Lucas would take him out. His timing is too good for Prescott's wild swings. I'd much prefer so see Matthyse in with someone higher up the 140 ladder e.g. Garcia, Khan, Judah rematch, Rios, maybe Alvarado.

He does othing special and is simply OK. The hype started after his blitz of a fat SFW and his fight with Ajose. Both are average fighters. Ajose stunk a few places out in UK and had to go to USA to rebuild. Lucas landed often and cleanly on Ajose and took a while to wear him out. Same with the fat SFW. I question his punch power. Easy night for Khan to be honest. Prescott could do him also. Just depends if Lucas enters the fight as a super mid. If he does he wins and not because of skill but because of the skill of his dietician.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Money is the problem....where Prescott is concerned..

If you are a decent contender..Prescott brings no money to the table but has power in his fists..

Not a viable option..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:36 pm

azania wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

He does othing special and is simply OK. The hype started after his blitz of a fat SFW and his fight with Ajose. Both are average fighters. Ajose stunk a few places out in UK and had to go to USA to rebuild. Lucas landed often and cleanly on Ajose and took a while to wear him out. Same with the fat SFW. I question his punch power. Easy night for Khan to be honest. Prescott could do him also. Just depends if Lucas enters the fight as a super mid. If he does he wins and not because of skill but because of the skill of his dietician.

Is this going to be another one of your argument soundbites? Is "Matthyse has fought nobody" and "All Matthyse's wins are tainted because of his weight [when its actually that he's disciplined enough to healthily cut weight and make 140]" going to be all we hear from you every time his name is mentioned?

He doesn't have an amazing record, but he impressively KOd Soto and he proved a proper handful for both Judah and Alexander (I think we all know he won those fights). No one is going over the odds in praise for him, but people get rightly excited about a hard punching KO artist. I think you are crazy to say he's an easy night for Khan. Matthyse is a good pressure fighter (Khan's Achilles heel) and he has good timing (this is the way Garcia caught Khan). Plenty for me to suggest he'd trouble Khan - certainly I wouldn't flippantly write him off the way you do. Although you've obviously got the 'I'm against Matthyse' thing in your head now along with the 'I'm against Price' line, so I don't actually expect you to say anything reasonable on the subject.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:57 pm

No money in the fight. Khan wont take it.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
azania wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Is this going to be another one of your argument soundbites? Is "Matthyse has fought nobody" and "All Matthyse's wins are tainted because of his weight [when its actually that he's disciplined enough to healthily cut weight and make 140]" going to be all we hear from you every time his name is mentioned?

He doesn't have an amazing record, but he impressively KOd Soto and he proved a proper handful for both Judah and Alexander (I think we all know he won those fights). No one is going over the odds in praise for him, but people get rightly excited about a hard punching KO artist. I think you are crazy to say he's an easy night for Khan. Matthyse is a good pressure fighter (Khan's Achilles heel) and he has good timing (this is the way Garcia caught Khan). Plenty for me to suggest he'd trouble Khan - certainly I wouldn't flippantly write him off the way you do. Although you've obviously got the 'I'm against Matthyse' thing in your head now along with the 'I'm against Price' line, so I don't actually expect you to say anything reasonable on the subject.

He is a huge LWW. No doubt. Fair play to him for cutting weight and rehydrating to the size he comes in at. It allows him several advantages which he has utilised. Hatton hid the same thing and was found wanting when he actually fought someone his own size. But lets not get carried away with the Soto fight. Soto was a fat SFW who was past his best.

I had Zab ahead in a close fight and Lucas ahead in the Devon fight (who was probably weight drained). But both fights were razor close and could have gone either way.

I say easy night for the simple reason being that styles make fights. Lucas is a hard punching come forward fighter. Similar to those who gave Khan problems. But the main difference is that Lucas fights behind a jab and is a straight puncher. All those who gave Khan problems are hookers (no not prostitutes). Straight punchers are made for Khan. With his speed Lucas will be in a world of hurt. But he has the equalizer. But Khan does have a sturdy chin. He took Maidana's best and came back. It;s his neck abd temple that appears to be his problem.

So saying something sensible is to fall for the hype train that is Price and Lucas. Disagree with the common consensus is being unreasonable. Is that one of your points?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:26 pm

Stupid point, Lucas throws great hooks and scores his best KO's off of hooks. He uses straights to get close or get to the body early and then hooks when in close and as Boxthis said he doesn't possess great speed but he times his shots very well

Khan is open to uppercuts which Lucas uses very well and unlike Maidana he is one of the best body punchers in boxing and given Khan's questionable stamina (well he slows down alot as the fight wears on) and over reliance on his speed if Lucas can get to his body he will either blow him away or slowly wear him down

Styles makes fight and Bradley/Marquez have a good style to beat Mathysse but not Khan. Anyone who's anyone in booing think Khan should stay away from Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Look, his main style is straight punches. Ali was a straight puncher but he threw some hooks.

Khan's questionable stamina? Get the hell out of here. Name me a single boxer who doesn't slow down as the fight wears on? Are their stamina also questionable? A slow Khan is still faster than anything Lucas will have seen - Judah , who beat him being the exception.

It is my opinion that the hugely overrated Lucas is made for Khan. It wouldn't surprise me if Prescott derailed this particular hype machine.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 pm

Khan-Matthyse is a simple fight to call. If Khan boxes smart and to the fullest of his abilities he strolls to a very easy victory but the big question is if he's capable of doing that for a full 12 rounds because if he doesn't it's another knockout loss. Matthyse will struggle to win rounds against someone so much quicker, better than himself especially when they have a longer reach, he'll be getting beaten on the outside hoping and expecting to land the money shot.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Exactly Ghosty. Matthysse is probably the most hyped fighter here. All on the back of beating a fat SFW.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 pm

I would make Matthyse a favourite Az but that is not because of his ability but the inbred machismo that Khan has, he has a lot of ability but seems unable to curb his natural instincts. He should win easily but he wont unfortunately.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:15 pm

I reckon moving to Hunter's camp was a great move. He looked more composed and measured against Molina. Used his jab (what I have been calling for) much better than he did under Roach. Khan has the greater talent and he will realise it especially against this hype train.

Moreover Khan appears to fight better when under scrutiny. His best performances have been when hi=e is under scrutiny ie Kotelnik and Maidana fights. When he gets into his comfort zone he has a tendency to lapse.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm

He was at his most measured against Kotelnik and Malignaggi, the two fighters he could have been more reckless against, he fights like that and he wins. He fights like he did against Maidana after 7 rounds and he loses. For all his faults he's a very hard boxer to win rounds against.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:23 pm

If he leaves himself open, he will lose. Simple. But he knows what's at stake. I don't believe Lucas has the skills to KO Khan. Its a given that Khan will be fearful of his power and will rely on his skills to win. A straight punching boxer is not the type to beat Khan. You need to get inside and fire away. That is not Lucas's style.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Az do you genuinely not know who Humberto Soto is?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Yes. A fat SFW.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down