The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you have a favourite Film genre ?

+2
superflyweight
Kenny
6 posters

Go down

Do you have a favourite Film genre ? Empty Do you have a favourite Film genre ?

Post by Kenny Tue 05 Feb 2013, 8:55 pm

I like lots of people on our boards LOVE films , i can watch anything ..it doesn't matter what so called film critics say about movies i like to form my own opinion .

Being laid up over the weekend i watched about a dozen films from Crimson Tide ....to Something about Mary .....to Dracula ....... so different genres . But if i had to choose one genre it would be Horror .........i love a good laugh and the feeling you get when the hero wins the big game or wins the battle , but there's nothing like having the you know what scared out of you .

some of my favourites ( might not be the scariest but i love them anyway )

The Omen
An American Werewolf in London ( watched both of those on the same night when i was 13 or so and didn't sleep afterward )
The Hills Have Eyes original
Candyman
The Ring
Evil Dead
love the old Hammer Horror films aswell
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Do you have a favourite Film genre ? Empty Re: Do you have a favourite Film genre ?

Post by superflyweight Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:34 am

Film Noir followed by Hitchcock (I think he deserves classification as a genre in his own right). Some of my favourite fim noirs:

Sweet Smell of Success (possibly my favourite film of all time)
Shock Corridor (a strange little film but utterly brililant)
The Asphalt Jungle (the first film noir I think I ever saw - the best heist movie of all time)
The Big Combo (great little b-movie with some brilliantly over the top acting)
Force of Evil (just brilliant)
Kiss Me Deadly (hysterically over the top but captures the mood in 50's America perfectly)
Touch of Evil (briliant performance from Orson Welles and and the cinematography is superb)

I'd also recommend:
The Killers
Chinatown
The Big Sleep

Last edited by superflyweight on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Do you have a favourite Film genre ? Empty Re: Do you have a favourite Film genre ?

Post by Galted Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:45 am

My favourite is Westerns although very few of my favourite films belong to the genre, just find them easy to watch, even when I've missed a fair bit of the beginning. Suppose it might have something to do with the Friday night diet of TV Westerns I was fed as a kid.

Apart from that I tend to enjoy Found Footage types like Troll Hunter/Man Bites Dog/Blair Witch.

Although it isn't a genre in it's own right I find films set in the Great Depression very watchable.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:34 am

I love most genres and lie the OP like to form my own opinion of a film. However, I do have a fondness for cheesy disaster films. The special effects filled big budget stuff that see cities (usually New York), countries and sometimes worlds destroyed. I just find them so easy to watch and enjoyable.

Some of my personal faves are:

Independence Day
Dantes Peak
Godzilla
Earthquake
The Towering Inferno

I remember watching Independence Day in Hollywood when I was on holiday with my parents. We were sat in the cinema surrounded by all these Americans just minding our own business enjoying the film when the bit where the spaceship blows up the White House came up. I have never heard such a big cheer go up as when that explosion happened. People where clapping and 'whooping' as only Americans do. It was hilarious. My dad said "we'd probably do the same if it was the houses of parliament".....
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:59 am

Galted wrote:My favourite is Westerns although very few of my favourite films belong to the genre, just find them easy to watch, even when I've missed a fair bit of the beginning. Suppose it might have something to do with the Friday night diet of TV Westerns I was fed as a kid.

Apart from that I tend to enjoy Found Footage types like Troll Hunter/Man Bites Dog/Blair Witch.

Although it isn't a genre in it's own right I find films set in the Great Depression very watchable.

I love westerns too , every Sunday afternoon round my Grandads house when we were young Randolf Scott , Gene Autry , Robert Mitchum and of course thr Duke
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:46 am

Kenny wrote:
Galted wrote:My favourite is Westerns although very few of my favourite films belong to the genre, just find them easy to watch, even when I've missed a fair bit of the beginning. Suppose it might have something to do with the Friday night diet of TV Westerns I was fed as a kid.

I love westerns too , every Sunday afternoon round my Grandads house when we were young Randolf Scott , Gene Autry , Robert Mitchum and of course thr Duke

Yep, the Duke could make anything watchable.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:52 am

The IMDB now provides information on your personal ratings if you have an account & my preferences seem to be (from highest average rating to lowest):

Animation
Biography
War
Documentary
History
Drama
Family
Crime
Adventure
Western
Comedy
Mystery
Fantasy
Thriller
Action
Romance
Horror
Sci-Fi

Which I found interesting as I thought animation would be amongst my worst. Might be that I'll only tend to watch a genre I'm not fond of if the film is highly recommended/rated by others.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:57 am

Talking of westerns and the Duke reminds me of a scene in Unforgiven.

Gene Hackman's Little Bill is reading aloud (with some effort) the exaggerated documented tales of Richard Harris's English Bob - aka "The Duke of Death". Or as Bill calls him, "The Duck of Death"...

"If I says Duck, he's the Duck..."

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:28 pm

I used to be into sci-fi and action as a younger man. Growing up I watched the odd drama, romance, etc, and enjoyed films from those genre's. I've also moved away from sci-fi and action, seeing as everything has been done to death. So I guess I don't have a genre.

I could tell you genre's I don't like. Chickflicks, apart from Mean Girls, Just My Luck and Uptown Girls... Not really a fan of horror. Horror movies are always incredibly poor. But saying that; Drag me to Hell, Insideous, The Woman in Black were all enjoyable and quite frightening. Paranormal Activity is okay, but once you watch any one of those there isn't much point watching the rest of the series.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:30 pm

Skydriver wrote:Talking of westerns and the Duke reminds me of a scene in Unforgiven.

Gene Hackman's Little Bill is reading aloud (with some effort) the exaggerated documented tales of Richard Harris's English Bob - aka "The Duke of Death". Or as Bill calls him, "The Duck of Death"...

"If I says Duck, he's the Duck..."

Very memorable Laugh

English Bob deserved that beating for being a right old tool.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down