How Many Times Has Rafa Been Bageled In Finals?

Go down

How Many Times Has Rafa Been Bageled In Finals? Empty How Many Times Has Rafa Been Bageled In Finals?

Post by hawkeye on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:07 am

This was asked on another unrelated thread and I was interested enough to look it up. I had a feeling that the answer might be "quite a few times" and I was correct.

Two stood out in my mind. The first was the first set of the 2006 Wimbledon final against Roger. This tournament was the first time I had seen Rafa play. I watched in draw dropping amazement at just how good this young player was as he progressed to the final. Despite the fact the the commentators kept insisting that he was no threat at Wimbledon because he couldn't play on grass (Ha ha!). On the day of the final however Rafa was so nervous he couldn't get his words out in the short pre match interview (It just came out as mumbo jumbo...) Roger took the fist set to love and to a sort of stunned silence. But after that Rafa somehow calmed himself and the rest of the match was close. Rafa could even have won it.

The second one my memory was wrong. In a pre AO tournament it was Rafa who bageled Davydenko before losing.

These are the Finals were Rafa was bageled (I only went back as far as 2005)

2005. Monte Carlo. Coria got a bagel but lost. 6-3 6-1 0-6 7-5 I wish I'd seen that match. The score looks interesting.

2006. Wimbledon. Federer won. 0-6 6-7 7-6 3-6

2007. Paris Masters. Nalbandian won 4-6 0-6 AND Hamburg Federer won 6-2 2-6 0-6

2008. Chennai. Youzney 0-6 1-6 Very lucky not to have been double bageled...

2009. Rotterdam. Murray. 3-6 6-4 0-6

2010 Wasn't bageled in a final

2011 Murray 6-3 2-6 0-6

2012 Wasn't bageled in a final.

If I was feeling really harsh I would say that Djokovic should have bageled him in the 2011 Wimbledon final too...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

How Many Times Has Rafa Been Bageled In Finals? Empty Re: How Many Times Has Rafa Been Bageled In Finals?

Post by lags72 on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 12:51 pm

Hmm .... so more often than I would have thought tbh, and I assume (?) there has also been the odd bagel or two in non-Final matches .....

You mention him coming very close to suffering a double in Chennai, but in the end it didn't actually happen.

Which is more than can be said for R. Federer - who did once take a memorable 0-6 0-6 drubbing, albeit not in a Final Erm
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/22/sports/tennis/22bagel.html

lags72

Back to top Go down

How Many Times Has Rafa Been Bageled In Finals? Empty Re: How Many Times Has Rafa Been Bageled In Finals?

Post by Danny_1982 on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 1:13 pm

So he's been bageled only twice in finals since 2008.... 5 years!!!

I think that is pretty impressive. But what else would you expect from an all time great.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 1:42 pm

I wonder how many bagels he's dished on the dirt though...what about when he beat Verdasco 6-0 6-1 in the final of Monte Carlo a couple of years back.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 1:43 pm

Danny_1982.

In defense of Nadal's recent lack of final bagels there are only 2 years missing from a complete set. In 2010 there is little excuse but in 2012 he did play less than half a year. Also as I said he perhaps deserved a bagel in the 2011 Wimbledon final and that would bring the final bagel average up to a respectable level.

lags72

Thank you for finding the linked article. I've heard of Federer's devastating loss but never seen a picture of the victor Reto Schmidli. I don't believe him when he says he "should have given Roger a game". I bet barely a day goes by when he doesn't smile at himself in the mirror and think fondly back to that match.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 1:46 pm

lydian

If I were Nadal I would think very carefully before "bageling anyone on the dirt". Didn't he do that to Soderling a couple of weeks before that fateful day at RG?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:00 pm

So just twice on a final on clay.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:02 pm

This one looks at both serving, and being served bagels. Wink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A73370289

(I can post an updated version, if posters are interested).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:18 pm

I bet if you looked at Serena Williams she would stood out somewhat, she hands out confectionery for fun.

Lol HE, yes...but you cant legislate people playing the match of their lives against him, especially when you consider 12 months later he beat Soderling in RG final fairly routinely (just lost 10 games).

Not sure #bagels really tells us anything? You can lose the 1st set 0-6 and still go on to win the match. It's W's or L's that count in tennis...it's about getting through to the next round or winning the final. A player might lose 5 or 6 bagel/breadstick sets on the way and still win the title...yet when you look at stats a few years later their bagel or breadstick level on the face of it reflects badly on them. In pro-sport, winning is everything.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum