The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champion Hurdle Preview

4 posters

Go down

Champion Hurdle Preview Empty Champion Hurdle Preview

Post by sportform Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:05 pm

With the Cheltenham Festival now under a week away, I thought I'd take a look at the big four races starting here with the Champion Hurdle.

STAN JAMES CHAMPION HURDLE CHALLENGE TROPHY GRADE 1 (CLASS 1) (4yo+)
Distance: 2m110y Going: Good To Soft Channel: CH4

The Willie Mullines trained HURRICANE FLY currently leads the market and will be bidding to regain the crown he won in 2011. He is unbeaten in three starts in Ireland this term, winning the Irish Champion Hurdle by 5l from Thousand Stars last time out. His only defeat in the last three seasons came in last years renewal of this race. Then he finished third behind Rock On Ruby and Overturn. Whether that was a blip or whether the form of his Irish wins is not quite as good as it looks, we will have to wait and see.

ZARKANDAR is unbeaten this term for Paul Nicholls in three starts including an impressive win in the International Hurdle at Cheltenham in December. That day he beat Grandouet by 2l with Rock On Ruby (making his seasonal reappearance) a further 4l back in third. The big worry would be his performance in the Champion Hurdle last year when he came fifth. He was staying on at the end of that race but the pace of the race was probably too quick for him. It is also worth noting that his previous two wins have been on heavy ground.

The 2012 Champion Hurdler ROCK ON RUBY has been brought on steadily this season by Harry Fry in a bid to retain his title. He made a seasonal debut at Cheltenham, finishing third behind Zarkandar on heavy going. He may have needed that run and came on from that to win a listed event at Doncaster last month although may have benefited from the unfortunate Darlan falling.

Nicky Henderson has potentially two principle contenders in GRANDOUET and previous winner Binocular. Grandouet has had only one run this year, in the International Hurdle, separating Zarkandar and Rock On Ruby. He will surely come on from that run and will appreciate the better going next Tuesday. BINOCULAR will be the likely mount of AP McCoy but may not be classy enough to win this. He won a weak looking Champion Hurdle in 2010. Was sixth in last year's race and finished 5l behind Hurrican Fly in his only run this season.

Of the rest Cinders And Ashes has yet to recapture his novice form. Countrywide Flame is a decent horse but may not have the ability to win this. Cotton Mill, second behind My Tent Or Yours in the Betfair Hurdle on his seasonal debut, could be an interesting each way prospect.

Verdict
This looks a wide open race with plenty having claims and most with questions to answer but with no Overturn this year to set a blistering pace the race maybe set up for HURRICANE FLY to recapture the title.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Champion Hurdle Preview Empty Re: Champion Hurdle Preview

Post by Caf Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:58 am

sportsville great write up about the race might have a punt on
GRANDOUET I presume he won't be a favourite.

Caf

Back to top Go down

Post by mcnugget Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Good writeup, agree re Cotton Mill. Don't think you're being fair re Zarkandar he wasn't right last year. Can't have Hurricane at the prices, he's not mad about the track and the stats are all against him.

mcnugget

Back to top Go down

Post by mcnugget Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Caf wrote:sportsville great write up about the race might have a punt on
GRANDOUET I presume he won't be a favourite.

Missing his prep run is a disaster - only one run in the last fifteen months. He also didn't work well during the week and would like the ground to be better than it will be next Tuesday. All imo of course...

mcnugget

Back to top Go down

Post by Caf Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:53 pm

mcnugget thanks don't really know much about them so taking all the info
that I can get and will then choose on Tues am who to lose my few bob on.

Caf

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:59 am

A small but very select final field for the day one highlight.It looks quite a "deep" race with a handful of the runners having obvious chances on their best form.Ground conditions look like being soft at best and on the basis of this being the most relevant factor before analysing any race then Grandouet(my antepost wager!),Cinders and Ashes and Rock On Ruby can go.Countrywide Flame will relish the ground,has previous Festival form and won the Fighting Fifth on his seasonal debut,he has however looked short of the class required in attempts since and is passed over,although i must add that he looks like he could be the pace angle into this race and if left alone in front he might suprise a few.Cotton Mill ran a belter on debut in the Betfair but that was a one horse race and a literal reading of the form leaves him with at least a stone to find to trouble these.Binocular is the most enigmatic of hurdlers,a real jekyll and hyde,he ran a most eyecatching race in Ireland first up but for all the wrong reasons(i thought he was a blatant non trier).His Festival record however is very good,although overall he looks like he may find at least a couple too good in the shape of Zarkandar and Hurricane Fly.The former has done little wrong this season and everything looks in place for a big run,ground and track suit and he looks a fairly straightforward ride,he must surely be on the premises.That leaves us with The Fly.He has looked right back to his best this campaign and his last two wins have been imperious,ground and track hold no fears inspite of what certain pundits say and if he reproduces anything close to his best then he has too many gears for this lot.A 14 time grade one winner shouldnt be doubted,he is the best hurdler in GB and Ireland on everything we know.Stop looking away from the obvious,this fella repesents monster value at 2s or bigger.
1.HURRICANE FLY
2.ZARKANDAR
3.BINOCULAR

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Caf Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:27 am

Racing nut love your write up was talking to my dad who follows them
he is saying the same thing as you.

Caf

Back to top Go down