Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by flyhalffactory on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:01 pm

Interesting to see respected rugby pundit and former Ireland captain & Lions hooker Keith Wood's selects a front row that I would pick and believe will be the most effective (as in my opinion was proved in the second half against England). I also agree with his back three of Halfpenny Hogg and North although I would might reverse the roles between Halfpenny and Hogg. The only changes I would advocate are Mike Phillips at 9 and possibly Jon Davies at 12 and moving Roberts to 13


WOODS LIONS

15 L Halfpenny (Wal)
14 S Hogg (Sco)
13 B O Driscoll (Ire)
12 J Roberts (Wal)
11 G North (Wal)
10 J Sexton (Ire)
9 B Youngs (Eng)

1 G Jenkins (Wal)
2 K Owens (Wal)
3 A Jones (Wal)
4 J Launchbury (Eng)
5 AW Jones (Wal)
6 S Warburton (Wal)
7 J Tipuric (Wal)
8 S O'Brien (Ire)

flyhalffactory

Posts : 2801
Join date : 2011-02-11
Location : Musselburgh

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by 100%beefy on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:34 pm

Yes but you can't have a lions side with so many welshmen - 9- run by 2 welsh coaches when wales just lost 5 to Aus...I am Welsh and even I think this balance is crazy.



100%beefy

Posts : 1005
Join date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by welshboii15 on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:35 pm

Im glad im not the only person that thinks Ken Owens is a solid candidate and could be shock out sider for lions

welshboii15

Posts : 510
Join date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by Taffineastbourne on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:43 pm

Looks a pretty good selection to me.Hope BoD can make it.I think he will be crucial to our chances of success as the only centre with the full skillset.
Keeping Halfpenny at XV shows common sense as he is the best fullback that we have got.Some daft selections move him to the wing to accommodate a lesser though pretty able fullback,Hogg.Surely the better player should take the jersey?Hoggs running ability can be effective on the wing whilst Halfpenny can continue to dominate the high ball.
Congrats Mr Woods.I salute you.

Taffineastbourne

Posts : 2043
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Somewhere in Eastbourne

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by flyhalffactory on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:44 pm

Personally I think the Welsh performance cranked up a notch when he came on against Scotland and most certainly against England

flyhalffactory

Posts : 2801
Join date : 2011-02-11
Location : Musselburgh

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by theslosty on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

IMO the lineout of that team looks pretty weak, and I'm pretty sure Cian Healy would be in at least 90 per cent of first XVs had he not stamped on Cole.
SOB is unproven internationally at 8, and I would like to see him at 6 beside Tipuric or Warburton, allowing him to operate at his destructive best.
theslosty
theslosty

Posts : 902
Join date : 2012-05-01
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by Scarpia on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:08 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:Personally I think the Welsh performance cranked up a notch when he came on against Scotland and most certainly against England

He certainly makes a difference - but only because of the job done in the first hour by Hibbard. I doubt he would be as effective if he were starting. Perhaps he would have been in the 2005 or 2008 sides, given their expansive style

Scarpia

Posts : 281
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by The Great Aukster on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm

Good team by Wood. Why not have six Welshmen in the pack? The Lions have no time to learn how to play together, so at least picking a Welsh pack short circuits that big disadvantage.

Hogg is obviously only there as a token Scot, as it would make more sense to have Cuthbert as part of the back-three team, but he has re-united the Roberts BOD unit that was successful last time.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5026
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by 100%beefy on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:41 pm

so if you have a welsh side how are they going to beat aus...what will gats and howley do differently...cos deans must be spanking himself sore about this

100%beefy

Posts : 1005
Join date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by The Great Aukster on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:25 pm

Didn't Wales come close to beating the Wallabies? They have that experience in their memory banks. Gatland will have watched those games and thought at key times - if only he'd had XXXX or YYYY in the team to make the critical difference.

No one expects the Barbarians to compete against settled Test sides. The Lions is also a scratch side (but chosen from a far more limited player pool). They play a few more games together but no more than clubs do in pre-season, and generally teams need far more games to start to really perform.

Where is the evidence in the pro era that the Lions are any better competition for the SH teams than the individual B&I sides?

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5026
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by doctornickolas on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:53 pm

I think Ken Owens is a very good shout and he would definitely be in the Lions tour if I was picking it along with Hibbard and Best for the hooker slots.

Not sure what Hogg would bring to the party over Cuthbert especially as a winger. Hogg's defence must be a major concern. The way he waved Fofana through for his try was pathetic. He also has a huge number of missed tackles in this 6 nations and that is not what I want from a fullback or winger. Compare to Halfpenny who hasn't missed a tackle in 2 years or something in the 6N.

doctornickolas

Posts : 813
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Penarth

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by sirtidychris on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 12:40 am

It's a shame tuilagi won't pass and can't catch otherwise he would be ahead of old man bod

sirtidychris

Posts : 854
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by 100%beefy on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 3:41 am

The Great Aukster wrote:Didn't Wales come close to beating the Wallabies? They have that experience in their memory banks. Gatland will have watched those games and thought at key times - if only he'd had XXXX or YYYY in the team to make the critical difference.

No one expects the Barbarians to compete against settled Test sides. The Lions is also a scratch side (but chosen from a far more limited player pool). They play a few more games together but no more than clubs do in pre-season, and generally teams need far more games to start to really perform.

Where is the evidence in the pro era that the Lions are any better competition for the SH teams than the individual B&I sides?

coming close is not winning...

100%beefy

Posts : 1005
Join date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by majesticimperialman on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 5:21 am

Is Keith Wood basing his selection the whole of the 6ns, or just the last game of to tournament?

I still dont think BOD will go on the Lions tour. And lets not forget Sexton is/was injured for a good part of the 6ns.

majesticimperialman

Posts : 4962
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by George Carlin on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 5:49 am

100%beefy wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:Didn't Wales come close to beating the Wallabies? They have that experience in their memory banks. Gatland will have watched those games and thought at key times - if only he'd had XXXX or YYYY in the team to make the critical difference.

No one expects the Barbarians to compete against settled Test sides. The Lions is also a scratch side (but chosen from a far more limited player pool). They play a few more games together but no more than clubs do in pre-season, and generally teams need far more games to start to really perform.

Where is the evidence in the pro era that the Lions are any better competition for the SH teams than the individual B&I sides?

coming close is not winning...
...and not winning on 4 consecutive occasions in the past 2 years has to mean something, as Wales did not play badly in any of those tests.

I have a lot of confidence that Gatland is a big enough guy to see that just picking his Welsh boys and crossing his fingers is unlikely to yield the results we all want in the home nations. Just look at Woodward's disasterous selection in 2005 to see how that kind of blinkered thinking turned out.

Aukster - I don't think anyone that watched the 6N thinks that Hogg is a "token Scot".

Not a bad team by Woody but the numbers on the backs of the shirts are incorrect in a couple of places.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 14641
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by thebluesmancometh on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 8:38 am

BOD?? Really??? Ioane will be rubbing his hands in delight if BOD and Hogg lineup out wide!!!

I can't take any lions teams serious without the inclusion of Robshaw, stand out back rower of the tournament by a country mile (and IMHO was on par with the welsh 2 last week)

Also as much as Dan Cole struggled at scrum time last week it was against a far superior scrum to the best Oz could hope for, he will more than match the Oz front row and we may need his ability around the park.

Similar argument could be said for Hibbard, and Evans.

thebluesmancometh

Posts : 8358
Join date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by rodders on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 9:54 am

flyhalffactory wrote:
WOODS LIONS

15 L Halfpenny (Wal)
14 S Hogg (Sco)
13 B O Driscoll (Ire)
12 J Roberts (Wal)
11 G North (Wal)
10 J Sexton (Ire)
9 B Youngs (Eng)

1 G Jenkins (Wal)
2 K Owens (Wal)
3 A Jones (Wal)
4 J Launchbury (Eng)
5 AW Jones (Wal)
6 S Warburton (Wal)
7 J Tipuric (Wal)
8 S O'Brien (Ire)

Good team.

I'd be inclined to go with:

15 L Halfpenny (Wal)
14 S Hogg (Sco)
13 O Driscoll (Ire)
12 J Roberts (Wal)
11 G North (Wal)
10 J Sexton (Ire)
9 M Phillips (Wal)

1 G Jenkins (Wal)
2 R. Best (Ire)
3 A Jones (Wal)
4 D Ryan (Ire)
5 Jim Hamilton (Sco)
6 S Warburton (Wal)
7 J Tipuric (Wal)
8 T Faletau (Wal)

Bench: D. Cole, C. Healy , M. Hibbard, R. Gray, S. O'Brien/C Robshaw , B. Youngs, O Farrell, J Davies.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25207
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by fa0019 on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:45 am

Has O'Brien ever played 8?

The lineout of that side doesn't look strong either. AUS with Horwill in the middle and Higginbottom at the rear will have a very competitive lineout.

The balance of Warburton and Tipuric would not be right without 2 renowned lineout operators at lock. It worked for Wales mind on the weekend but England don't play with an openside and had the worst lineout of the 6N if I recall in terms of balls lost on own throw.

I just can't see BOD playing 6-7 games in 6 weeks without getting crocked. The mind is as strong as it always was... the body however just can't keep up... unless he plays a max of 2 matches prior to the tests I doubt he will last 2 test matches.


fa0019

Posts : 8196
Join date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by rodders on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:10 am

O'Brien has played 8.

BOD has just played 5 games in 7 weeks.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25207
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by fa0019 on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:15 am

He's not really competing for a spot in a test team though with Ireland wouldn't you agree??? And the Lions tour will come at the end of the season rather than midway.. i.e. players will be naturally more fatigued/prone to injury.

If he tours and wants the 13 jersey he's going to have to win it from Davies and Tuilagi... who both have marked claims.

Guys are going to have to go through the wars just to get selected. It probably will be one of the most fiercely contested shirts of the series.

fa0019

Posts : 8196
Join date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by rodders on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:53 am

fa0019 wrote:He's not really competing for a spot in a test team though with Ireland wouldn't you agree??? And the Lions tour will come at the end of the season rather than midway.. i.e. players will be naturally more fatigued/prone to injury.

If he tours and wants the 13 jersey he's going to have to win it from Davies and Tuilagi... who both have marked claims.

Guys are going to have to go through the wars just to get selected. It probably will be one of the most fiercely contested shirts of the series.

Yup agree with that. Tuilagi and Davies have youth and power on their side but but BOD has experience and the fact that he offers something different to the other 3 guys likely to tour in his favour.

I could see BOD being left off the tour but I could also see him captaining the test side. It's a hard one to call and will be really down not only to whether Gatland thinks BOD is still up to it, but also the style of rugby he is aiming for.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25207
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by LordDowlais on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 12:54 pm

Why is everybody putting Hog at fullback ? Did nobody watch this six nations ? In the last game against France he let Fofana run straight through him to score, yet when Halfpenny is in between the try line and the attacker he just throws himself at the player and does not let go, and he does this all the time, anybody remember Twickenham last year with his last ditch try saving tackle and he did it against England again this year, in fact he does it against everyone, Hog needs to learn how to tackle before he gets my choice, and I am not sentimental enough to have a token Scot in the side, but there are far more deserving Scottish players than Hog who should go on the Lions tour.

LordDowlais

Posts : 13571
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by rodders on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:21 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Why is everybody putting Hog at fullback ? Did nobody watch this six nations ? In the last game against France he let Fofana run straight through him to score, yet when Halfpenny is in between the try line and the attacker he just throws himself at the player and does not let go, and he does this all the time, anybody remember Twickenham last year with his last ditch try saving tackle and he did it against England again this year, in fact he does it against everyone, Hog needs to learn how to tackle before he gets my choice, and I am not sentimental enough to have a token Scot in the side, but there are far more deserving Scottish players than Hog who should go on the Lions tour.

Er Hogg is on the wing?
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25207
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by LordDowlais on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:55 pm

rodders wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Why is everybody putting Hog at fullback ? Did nobody watch this six nations ? In the last game against France he let Fofana run straight through him to score, yet when Halfpenny is in between the try line and the attacker he just throws himself at the player and does not let go, and he does this all the time, anybody remember Twickenham last year with his last ditch try saving tackle and he did it against England again this year, in fact he does it against everyone, Hog needs to learn how to tackle before he gets my choice, and I am not sentimental enough to have a token Scot in the side, but there are far more deserving Scottish players than Hog who should go on the Lions tour.

Er Hogg is on the wing?

Instead of who ? For the wings and full backs I would have all these players infront of him, Foden, Kearney, Halfpenny, North, Cuthbert, Bowe, so in respect he is fourth coice for fullback and 2nd/3rd choice for a wing spot.

LordDowlais

Posts : 13571
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by rodders on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:57 pm

That's a seperate point, I was responding to your original query about why Hogg was at full back ahead of 1/2 penny....the answer is he isn't.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25207
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by LordDowlais on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:23 pm

rodders wrote:That's a seperate point, I was responding to your original query about why Hogg was at full back ahead of 1/2 penny....the answer is he isn't.

Yes but lots have people have put Hog in as their fullback and they have put Halfpenny on the wing, then because they do not want to put Hlafpenny any other than fullback they put Hog on the wing, in my opinion Hog should not be anywhere near the back three for the test side.

LordDowlais

Posts : 13571
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by hjumpshoe on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:56 pm

I actually quite like Woodie's team but must disagree in certain positions. I find it a bit strange picking a Lions test team without BOD, but feel this tour is maybe a year or two too late for the great man. Hope he goes on to prove me wrong as we could certainly do with his skills against what is a great Ozzie backline. However, here is my team ATM:=
15 L Halfpenny (Wal)
14 M. Tuilagi (Eng) If Bowe is not fit!
13 J. Davies (Wal)
12 J Roberts (Wal)
11 G North (Wal)
10 J Sexton (Ire)
9 M. Phillips (Wal)


1 G. Jenkins (Wal)
2 R. Best (Ire)
3 A Jones (Wal)
4 J Launchbury (Eng) If POC is not fit!
5 AW Jones (Wal)
6 C.Robshaw (Eng) If Lydiate is not fit!
7 S.Warburton (Wal) (C)
8 S O'Brien (Ire)

Healy, Hibbard, Cole, R.Jones, Tipuric, Youngs, Farrell, Hogg

hjumpshoe

Posts : 125
Join date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by flyhalffactory on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 7:15 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
rodders wrote:That's a seperate point, I was responding to your original query about why Hogg was at full back ahead of 1/2 penny....the answer is he isn't.

Yes but lots have people have put Hog in as their fullback and they have put Halfpenny on the wing, then because they do not want to put Hlafpenny any other than fullback they put Hog on the wing, in my opinion Hog should not be anywhere near the back three for the test side.


Why?.............. bit of meat on the bone please

Not as good defensively as Halfpenny
As good if not better offensively as Halfpenny
Seige gun boot


flyhalffactory

Posts : 2801
Join date : 2011-02-11
Location : Musselburgh

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by 123456789 on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 7:18 pm

100%beefy wrote:Yes but you can't have a lions side with so many welshmen - 9- run by 2 welsh coaches when wales just lost 5 to Aus...I am Welsh and even I think this balance is crazy.



I'd like to see a starting side with 7 or 8 Welsh players but a bench with very little so come the end of the game we'll be ahead but the Australian's won't have that psychological advantage. Perhaps Wilkinson and Laidlaw could give us an edge in that respect both have scored winning kicks against Australia and are solid, clever players with experience.

123456789

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2011-11-13

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by t1000advancedprototype on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 7:21 pm

Cuthbert and Phillips are the two best players in the NH at present.

t1000advancedprototype

Posts : 1035
Join date : 2013-02-07

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by LordDowlais on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 8:00 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
rodders wrote:That's a seperate point, I was responding to your original query about why Hogg was at full back ahead of 1/2 penny....the answer is he isn't.

Yes but lots have people have put Hog in as their fullback and they have put Halfpenny on the wing, then because they do not want to put Hlafpenny any other than fullback they put Hog on the wing, in my opinion Hog should not be anywhere near the back three for the test side.


Why?.............. bit of meat on the bone please

Not as good defensively as Halfpenny
As good if not better offensively as Halfpenny
Seige gun boot

Because my good man, when it come's to playing fullback, Halfpenny, Kearney and Foden are better, and when it comes to playing on the wings, Cuthbert, North, Bowe and Visser are better, so just because he is Scotland's best fullback, he is not the British and Irish best fullback, although he is young and he has got time on his side, perhaps the next Lions tour after this one is when he will come of age. Ale

LordDowlais

Posts : 13571
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by SecretFly on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 8:04 pm

Sure take him along anyway.. you never know what player you might need if an injury hits one of the perfect choices....

SecretFly

Posts : 30372
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by flyhalffactory on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 8:56 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
rodders wrote:That's a seperate point, I was responding to your original query about why Hogg was at full back ahead of 1/2 penny....the answer is he isn't.

Yes but lots have people have put Hog in as their fullback and they have put Halfpenny on the wing, then because they do not want to put Hlafpenny any other than fullback they put Hog on the wing, in my opinion Hog should not be anywhere near the back three for the test side.


Why?.............. bit of meat on the bone please

Not as good defensively as Halfpenny
As good if not better offensively as Halfpenny
Seige gun boot

Because my good man, when it come's to playing fullback, Halfpenny, Kearney and Foden are better, and when it comes to playing on the wings, Cuthbert, North, Bowe and Visser are better, so just because he is Scotland's best fullback, he is not the British and Irish best fullback, although he is young and he has got time on his side, perhaps the next Lions tour after this one is when he will come of age. Ale

Good grief yet another Welsh poster who can't back up his statement
I give you an example where some respected (former players) media punters have stated they would like Hogg to be in the Lions side and all you can counter when asked to explain why Hogg shouldn't be in the side is others "are better"............ its like speaking to some five year old "cuz theys better they are so there"

I'll say it again HOGG HAS SOME SERIOUS SPEED possibly quicker than both current Welsh wingers (review his earlier 6Ns try if you want proof)........ He is also a more natural attacking player at FB than Halfpenny albeit a worse defender and he has an accurate siege gun boot. Kearney has been poor in my opinion and Foden isn't even the current English FB. To balance the Lions defensive and offensive back three then its got to be

15 Hogg
14 Halfpenny
11 North

However wouldn't be upset with

15 Halfpenny
14 Hogg
11 North

As before if you want to put some more meat on the bone....... i.e. some sort of riposte based on some sort of rugby viewing of the last 6 weeks

By the way Bowe is injured, Visser whilst a proven try machine is not that accurate a kicker to put it mildly and under pressure doesn't fill me with confidence, as far as Cuthbert is concerned well see my comments on Visser. Hence my view that Hogg would be a good choice at 14, however I feel that Halfpenny is a better winger than them all.

flyhalffactory

Posts : 2801
Join date : 2011-02-11
Location : Musselburgh

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by Notch on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 9:14 pm

I think Hogg is a certain Lion. If it's picked on Six Nations form, no way are Kearney and Foden ahead of him. Is Foden even in the equation?

I can see Bowe missing out too, although if I was Gatland I'd gamble and take him. As an Irish fan, definitely prefer to see Hogg tour than Kearney. Kearney is a great player, but he's really a defensive fullback. He is brilliant under a high ball, but if the opposition don't kick the ball away he struggles to get involved in attack some times. Hogg is the better attacker- could be a revelation on the hard ground.

Given that Gatland is taking 37 players (we can expect this to swell up to about 45-ish once injury replacements across the Tour are taken into account) I find it bizarre that it's even an argument as to whether Hogg goes. Visser, on the other hand- no thank you! Give me Maitland and Hogg for the Lions, leave the Dutchman at home.
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by flyhalffactory on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 9:22 pm

Concur with you Notch, and so do many other well respected pundits, the hard grounds that the Lions will encounter will favour the guys with lighting acceleration and fast reflexes.

flyhalffactory

Posts : 2801
Join date : 2011-02-11
Location : Musselburgh

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by Notch on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

If we take 37 players, right now I'd go something like;

PROPS
Cian Healy, Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Adam Jones, Dan Cole, Euan Murray
HOOKERS
Rory Best, Richard Hibbard, Tom Youngs
LOCKS
Ian Evans, Alun-Wyn Jones, Paul O'Connell, Richie Gray, Joe Launchbury
BACKROW
Sean O'Brien, Chris Robshaw, Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Toby Faletau, Johnny Beattie
SCRUM-HALF
Mike Phillips, Greig Laidlaw, Danny Care
OUT-HALF
Johnny Sexton, Owen Farrell, Dan Biggar
CENTRES
Jamie Roberts, Brian O'Driscoll, Manu Tuilagi, Billy Twelvetrees
WINGS
Alex Cuthbert, George North, Tommy Bowe, Sean Maitland
FULLBACK
Leigh Halfpenny, Stuart Hogg, Rob Kearney

Maybe the doubts there are O'Connell and Bowe. Reputation picks to a certain extent given their respective injuries. But worth the gamble.
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by SecretFly on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 9:37 pm

Notch wrote:

I can see Bowe missing out too, although if I was Gatland I'd gamble and take him. As an Irish fan, definitely prefer to see Hogg tour than Kearney. Kearney is a great player, but he's really a defensive fullback. He is brilliant under a high ball, but if the opposition don't kick the ball away he struggles to get involved in attack some times. Hogg is the better attacker- could be a revelation on the hard ground.


I agree with that about Kearney to an extent. He has really always disappointed me at International level especially. There is so much you can blame Kidney's coaching on and the lack of support for inventive or reactionary attack play but I still think Kearney should be performing to a higher degree even within the very limited gameplan. And he's one of the few players I'd say that about.

BUT.... when playing at Leinster he gets into many more attacking positions and he is a bloody dangerous addition to a firing backs unit when they are getting territory and playing the game in the opponent's half. He doesn't have many excuses but he's a better player still than Ireland shows him up to be...like many of the Irish players.

But Hogg deserves the shot.

SecretFly

Posts : 30372
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 9:44 pm

Notch wrote:If we take 37 players, right now I'd go something like;

PROPS
Cian Healy, Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Adam Jones, Dan Cole, Euan Murray
HOOKERS
Rory Best, Richard Hibbard, Tom Youngs
LOCKS
Ian Evans, Alun-Wyn Jones, Paul O'Connell, Richie Gray, Joe Launchbury
BACKROW
Sean O'Brien, Chris Robshaw, Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Toby Faletau, Johnny Beattie
SCRUM-HALF
Mike Phillips, Greig Laidlaw, Danny Care
OUT-HALF
Johnny Sexton, Owen Farrell, Dan Biggar
CENTRES
Jamie Roberts, Brian O'Driscoll, Manu Tuilagi, Billy Twelvetrees
WINGS
Alex Cuthbert, George North, Tommy Bowe, Sean Maitland
FULLBACK
Leigh Halfpenny, Stuart Hogg, Rob Kearney

Maybe the doubts there are O'Connell and Bowe. Reputation picks to a certain extent given their respective injuries. But worth the gamble.

I don't think I would differentiate too much from that (if POC is proven to be fit). I think I would put JD2 in over Twelvetrees or Tuilagi at the minute (probably BT).

Hogg will definitely be a tourist though (plus will be very competitive for a test start) and I'm sure Dowlais etc know this. I am sure that Gatland will be delighted to have two classy fifteens pushing each other on.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by hjumpshoe on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 9:45 pm

flyhalffactory
I agree with you somewhat re Hogg, So far in his international career he has looked a very good player. A quality open field runner with a good rugby brain on his shoulders. OK, Fofana beat him for his try last week, but Fofana is class and could make a mug of any fullback 1 on 1. Dont know if you noticed my Lions selection above, but id personally start with Hogg on the bench. My reasons for this are mainly based around Gatland's tendency to base his tactics around having large, physical forwards and backs. If the Lions can Smash the Ozzies up front and behind for 60 minutes, then maybe they can unleash the gamebreakers like Hogg and Tipuric etc to finish the game off (or cling it back.)

hjumpshoe

Posts : 125
Join date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by flyhalffactory on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:10 pm

hjumpshoe

It was a very poor attempt by Hogg and you can tell by his reaction how disgusted he was, but as you say he is relatively inexperienced and that's something he will be working on for sure

flyhalffactory

Posts : 2801
Join date : 2011-02-11
Location : Musselburgh

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:17 pm

Actually, I think I would squeeze Ryan Jones into the squad somehow, but not sure where or instead of who.

I'm sure every fullback will have had one of those. Halfpenny was criticised a bit for the Argentina game as well wasn't he? I didn't think it was as bad as Ashton's attempt on the same player (Fofana) for example.

I think if Halfpenny and Hogg were on the same team, I would go for Hogg on the wing, purely to allow for more pace there, but before Saturday I would've put it the other way round.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by 100%beefy on Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:20 pm

Notch wrote:If we take 37 players, right now I'd go something like;

PROPS
Cian Healy, Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Adam Jones, Dan Cole, Euan Murray
HOOKERS
Rory Best, Richard Hibbard, Tom Youngs
LOCKS
Ian Evans, Alun-Wyn Jones, Paul O'Connell, Richie Gray, Joe Launchbury
BACKROW
Sean O'Brien, Chris Robshaw, Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Toby Faletau, Johnny Beattie
SCRUM-HALF
Mike Phillips, Greig Laidlaw, Danny Care
OUT-HALF
Johnny Sexton, Owen Farrell, Dan Biggar
CENTRES
Jamie Roberts, Brian O'Driscoll, Manu Tuilagi, Billy Twelvetrees
WINGS
Alex Cuthbert, George North, Tommy Bowe, Sean Maitland
FULLBACK
Leigh Halfpenny, Stuart Hogg, Rob Kearney

Maybe the doubts there are O'Connell and Bowe. Reputation picks to a certain extent given their respective injuries. But worth the gamble.

Youngs? that's a route 1 backline, no creativity whatsoever, 36 before JD2?

100%beefy

Posts : 1005
Join date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by hjumpshoe on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 6:57 am

Sadly i fear that playing route 1 rugby in the backs, with big men running straight and hard, gives the Lions the best chance of success in the tests. We simply dont have the players available to play a creative game, or at least one that cut the Ozzies up. Gatland's philosophy seems to be quite conservative yet effective, as i said, a big pack and big backline. Dont think Aus would relish fronting up to (or indeed cope with) Roberts, JD2, North and Tuilagi crashing into them time and again. Its not the champagne rugby we all love to watch but its mightily effective, winning rugby.

hjumpshoe

Posts : 125
Join date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by fa0019 on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:41 am

hjumpshoe

Strange you say that about route 1 and that AUS won't relishing facing those players you mentioned.

Who would you say the 2 most proficient route 1 teams in world rugby?? Probably Wales and South Africa right?

Well in the past 4 years AUS have a 8-0 win record vs. Wales and a 7-2 win record vs. SA.
So in terms of 2 best route 1 teams over the last 4 years , AUS have a 15-2 win record.

AUS love playing route 1 rugby and if the Lions play like that... they will lose every test.

fa0019

Posts : 8196
Join date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by nathan on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 10:06 am

Notch wrote:If we take 37 players, right now I'd go something like;

PROPS
Cian Healy, Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Adam Jones, Dan Cole, Euan Murray
HOOKERS
Rory Best, Richard Hibbard, Tom Youngs
LOCKS
Ian Evans, Alun-Wyn Jones, Paul O'Connell, Richie Gray, Joe Launchbury
BACKROW
Sean O'Brien, Chris Robshaw, Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Toby Faletau, Johnny Beattie
SCRUM-HALF
Mike Phillips, Greig Laidlaw, Danny Care
OUT-HALF
Johnny Sexton, Owen Farrell, Dan Biggar
CENTRES
Jamie Roberts, Brian O'Driscoll, Manu Tuilagi, Billy Twelvetrees
WINGS
Alex Cuthbert, George North, Tommy Bowe, Sean Maitland
FULLBACK
Leigh Halfpenny, Stuart Hogg, Rob Kearney

Maybe the doubts there are O'Connell and Bowe. Reputation picks to a certain extent given their respective injuries. But worth the gamble.

at this moment in time (theres still plenty of games left for people to prove themselves) i'd agree with that although i'd swap D. Care with B. Youngs. I would probably have Ashton in too (Just kidding regarding the latter before anyone jumps on me)

nathan

Posts : 10897
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by hjumpshoe on Fri 22 Mar 2013, 10:54 am

fa0019
I see your point and of course the stats say that you are right. The problem however is the lack of creative centres available for the Lions. The inexperienced 36 would be an option at 12, as would Hook i suppose(neither of whom i would have in my squad), other than that im struggling to see where the creativity is going to come from. If BOD can have one last hurrah and raise his levels back to where they were then great, i just feel this tour has come a year or two too late for him. Who else have we got to provide that bit of magic? Henson? surely not!!!!

hjumpshoe

Posts : 125
Join date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by Nathan's Hind on Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:14 pm

I would love to see Hines and Hamilton tour (no I'm not Scottish). Savage line-out operators, in your face and great disrupters of opposition ball. Hines is also a great groundhog which would make up for Robshaw's inabilities if selected.

Nathan's Hind

Posts : 6
Join date : 2013-03-24

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:18 pm

100%beefy wrote:Yes but you can't have a lions side with so many welshmen - 9- run by 2 welsh coaches when wales just lost 5 to Aus...I am Welsh and even I think this balance is crazy.

clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Posts : 14129
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 106
Location : Devon/London

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by George Carlin on Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:53 am

Sydney Morning Herald columnists have 12. Roberts and 13. O'Driscoll in their Lions team. That was a creative enough midfield in South Africa and if both players keep up the standard, then you couldn't really object to the same here.

I can see Tualagi being a substitute with considerable impact if Old Man River BOD is unable to last the pace of a full test (unlikely, however). Even if he is playing well, I can see Manu doing some real damage in the last 30 minutes and opening up the midfield for our back 3.

I do agree with the comments that the tour has come a year early for some of our most creative young 12s to have hit their straps - Marshall, 36 and Scott will all be superb players but they're just too raw at the moment.

Notch - would have no problem with your squad - the balance of the wings look good in particular. Sydney Morning Herald has North, Maitland and Halfpenny as the back three they are most worried about.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 14641
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by The Great Aukster on Wed 01 May 2013, 7:17 am

100%beefy wrote:Yes but you can't have a lions side with so many welshmen - 9- run by 2 welsh coaches when wales just lost 5 to Aus...I am Welsh and even I think this balance is crazy.



The closest thing to crazy - Warren Gatland?

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5026
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice Empty Re: Ireland Former International Captain and Lions Hooker Keith Woods Lions Choice

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum