The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia

+5
bsando
majesticimperialman
theslosty
Knowsit17
maestegmafia
9 posters

Go down

Right Winger for the Lions

Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap4%Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap11%Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 9 ]
Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap2%Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap8%Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]
Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap12%Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 10 ]
Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap36%Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 30 ]
Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap27%Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 22 ]

Total Votes : 83

Poll closed

Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Six nations is done. We are a year on since I last held one of these polls and the long term aim was to compare what we selected a year out, a month out and the final squad.

You can pick one player only as your first choice.

I think I have grabbed most of the names in the hat, though my apologies if anyone you consider worthy has been forgotten, if you ask nicely then I am sure one of our excellent moderators might take the time to be kind enough to offer their much valued assistance.

The players included either showed in the Six Nations squads or have been regularly talked of as prospects on the various threads on here.

THERE ARE TWO THREADS ON WINGERS ONE IS FOR LEFT WINGER AND THE OTHER IS FOR THE RIGHT WINGER.

Looseheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42452-loosehead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Hookers - https://www.606v2.com/t42471-hooker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Tightheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42486-tighthead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Lock No. 4 - https://www.606v2.com/t42501-number-4-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956467

Lock no. 5 - https://www.606v2.com/t42502-number-5-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Blindside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42514-blindside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Openside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42515-ospenside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956975

Number 8 - https://www.606v2.com/t42518-number-eight-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958144

Scrumhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42531-scrumhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Flyhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42539-flyhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958609

Inside Centre - https://www.606v2.com/t42557-inside-centre-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1959728

Outside Centre - https://www.606v2.com/t42556-outside-centre-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Left Wing - https://www.606v2.com/t42575-left-wing-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1960513

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Shouldn't North and Cuthbert be switched around in the polls? North plays left wing for Wales and Cuthbert plays right.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Left Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Shouldn't North and Cuthbert be switched around in the polls? North plays left wing for Wales and Cuthbert plays right.
It thought they were the other way round?

I have a feeling that both Winger polls will likely have to be totted up together as we are more than likely to get crossovers

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Either way it's a tough call between North/Cuthbert, 1/2p and Bowe (if fit and firing)

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Zebo and Bowe are both injured so North is the main contender here. The way the wingers polls are set up it is difficult not to vote for North and Cuthbert as your pairing.

Zebo has always played as a left winger btw.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:08 pm

I voted for Ashton. But i do think it will probably go to either North, Cuthbert.
I do not like picking player/s that are or have been injured. but if he is fully fit enough then Zebo might be the one to get the call.

I certainly do not think that they will play Halfpenny on the wing. on either wing for that matter.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:12 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I voted for Ashton. But i do think it will probably go to either North, Cuthbert.
I do not like picking player/s that are or have been injured. but if he is fully fit enough then Zebo might be the one to get the call.

I certainly do not think that they will play Halfpenny on the wing. on either wing for that matter.

Do you think Ashton is a good winger? He was slated rather heavily by the press and by English fans on here over the last few months.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Yeah North, Visser are both left wingers

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:27 pm

I dont think he is the best winger in the UK. But he does know how to score tries against Australia.... However you are only as good as your last game. And Ashton's last game for England was not great by any means.

But if he is not getting the ball at any time he does struggle, as would any other winger for that matter.

But like i said i do think that the wing spot will go too some one like Cuthbert, or maybe from an Irish point of view, maybe Trimble might get a shot at winger spot.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Nigel Farage is kinda right wing.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:45 pm

gregortree wrote:Nigel Farage is kinda right wing.

He's still ahead of Ashton in the pecking order atm

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:52 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I voted for Ashton. But i do think it will probably go to either North, Cuthbert.

Other than national bias showing through again, I am genuinely intrigued why you voted for Ashton. You absolutely pasted Sam Warburton when he was off form, then you pick Ashton as a winger Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:54 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I dont think he is the best winger in the UK. But he does know how to score tries against Australia.... However you are only as good as your last game. And Ashton's last game for England was not great by any means.

But if he is not getting the ball at any time he does struggle, as would any other winger for that matter.

But like i said i do think that the wing spot will go too some one like Cuthbert, or maybe from an Irish point of view, maybe Trimble might get a shot at winger spot.

North has scored v Australia. Shane Williams has too. Lets bring him back.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:03 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I dont think he is the best winger in the UK. But he does know how to score tries against Australia.... However you are only as good as your last game. And Ashton's last game for England was not great by any means.

Ashton's tries against Australia were three years ago. Cuthbert, Halfpenny and North have all scored tries against Australia more recently than Ashton.

Even Shane Williams has scored the same number of tries since Ashton last scored against Australia.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:03 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

RiscaRev By all means put George North on the wing. But do not bring Shane Williams back. He has done his international rugby days. So now let him retire gracefuylly. ok. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:08 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

RiscaRev By all means put George North on the wing. But do not bring Shane Williams back. He has done his international rugby days. So now let him retire gracefuylly. ok. thumbsup

But why vote for an out of form Chris Ashton who hasn't scored a try against Australia for years...?

I am interested because you are the only person to have voted for him.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:13 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

But why vote for an out of form Chris Ashton who hasn't scored a try against Australia for years...?

I just think that he as too come good at some point this year. And this could just be the game/tour to bring his form back.
But like i said i dont think he will get the wing spot. Probably wont even tour with the Lions.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:15 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

I just think that he as too come good at some point this year. And this could just be the game/tour to bring his form back.
But like i said i dont think he will get the wing spot. Probably wont even tour with the Lions.

Glad to see you have faith in him.

Cheers Madge, didnt mean to badger you mate. I just wanted to see you voice your opinions.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:51 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

So you'd be willing to let Ashton play himself into form, but you were so up in arms over Sam Warburton and wouldn't have wanted him to find his form? Do you find that a bit contradictory?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigman666 Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Cuthbert plays right wing doesn't he?

Bigman666

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 pm

And he plays left wing too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigman666 Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:11 pm

For Wales, Cuthbert plays right and North left. Surely make more sense to put them on the wings they play Internationally?

Bigman666

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Christian Wade is a right wing not left.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigman666 Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:28 pm

I think poster is a little confused with his right and left!

Fitzy is a left wing too

Bigman666

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

So you'd be willing to let Ashton play himself into form, but you were so up in arms over Sam Warburton and wouldn't have wanted him to find his form? Do you find that a bit contradictory?

Yes i do actualy. But ASHTON was not being touted as a given for the Lions captain was he? But in honesty i dont think their is enough time for Ashton to play himself in to form.

But like i said earlier you are only as good as your last game. Ashton's last game for England was not good, no doubt about that. Sam Warburton on the other hand, had the best game of his life.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Seeing as Bigman is a new member We should do all we can to welcome the new kid, I will swap left for right for him to feel at ease.

Personally considering all players questioned play both, I don't really think it matters at all.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigman666 Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Thank mafia, I'd still like North on both wings.

I do like a good poll

Bigman666

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Here are clips of Norths two tries this weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi64MN-hlmA

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Does it really matter leftor right wing? If our two best wingers both played one side normally surely on could swap?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:40 pm

Yep

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:08 pm

The poll is open until a week before the squad is announced, there is still a decent amount of rugby to be played and peoples thoughts and views may change. As it stands currently these are the Squad choices by the mob that contributes to 606V2.

I dont know the make up or how many he really will pick so i am just running with top three options...

Loosehead Prop 89 votes so far

Cian Healy 39
Ryan Grant 20
Gethin Jenkins 15

Hooker 92 votes so far

Rory Best 45
Richard Hibbard 21
Tom Youngs 11

Tighthead 74 votes so far

Adam Jones 47
Dan Cole 19
Euan Murray 4

Locks 144 votes so far over the two polls so averaging 72 Votes

Geoff Parling 29
Richie Gray 29
AWJ 21
Ian Evans 20

Blindeside Flankers 78 votes so far

Chris Robshaw 19
Kelly Brown 18
Sean O'Brien 17

Openside Flankers 74 votes so far

Justin Tipuric 33
Sam Warburton 14
Chris Robshaw 13 (leading the Blindside option)
Ross Rennie 8 (Next best after Robshaw)

Number Eight 73 votes so far

Toby Faletau 28
John Beattie 26
Ben Morgan 10

Scrumhalf 73 votes so far

Ben Youngs 38
Mike Phillips 20
Greig Laidlaw 10

Flyhalf 59 votes so far

Jonny Sexton 30
Owen Farrell 13
Dan Biggar 6

Inside Centre 53 votes so far

Billy Twelvetrees 11
Jonathan Davies 13 (Also 3rd in the outside centre Poll)
Matt Scott 11
Jamie Roberts & Luke Marshall 7 (If we were to consider JD2 at outside)

Outside Centre

Brian O'Driscoll 22
Manu Tuilagi 22
Jonathan Davies 9

Right Winger 44 Votes so far

Sean Maitland 22
Alex Cuthbert 11
Christian Wade 7

Left Winger 45 votes so far

George North 21
Tim Visser 8
Simon Zebo 5

Fullback 59 votes so far

Stuart Hogg 25
Leigh Halfpenny 22
Rob Keaney 7

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Another weekend done and dusted. The squad to be announced after the next...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down