The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup

+27
VDT
bhb001
Mind the windows Tino.
Stella
aucklandlaurie
TRUSSMAN66
Afro
Dolphin Ziggler
ChequeredJersey
Shot 21 LCFC
Bull
Hulking_up
MIG
mystiroakey
Pal Joey
The Womble
88Chris05
Il Gialloblu
hornbloweroafc
sodhat
McLaren
Galted
Hero
Crimey
JuliusHMarx
Rowley
Adam D
31 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Vote for your favourite

Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap3%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 4 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap6%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 9 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap4%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap8%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 11 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap2%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 3 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap7%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 10 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap16%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 22 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap13%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 18 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap3%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 4 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap9%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 13 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap13%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 18 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap6%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 9 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_lcap10%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 141

Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Empty Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup

Post by Adam D Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:01 am

First topic message reminder :

Vote for your favourite 2 - voting ends on Monday.

Everyone allowed to vote in this, not just the people who nominated.

Below are the reasons for nominations (where provided).

Next week is films based on a comic book or comic book character:

Stand by Me - one of the few Stephen King stories to make a successful transfer to screen, this is one of those films I can watch again and again. Great build-up & unsentimental climax, you'd have to be a bit disturbed not to be wracked with nostalgia.

The Empire strikes back - The first sequel to outstrip an original. A critically acclaimed success and action packed from start to finish.

ET - Possibly the greatest film of all time and not just the 80s. A story which still carries an emotional wallop even today. Brilliant acting and story from the greatest director of his generation. This has to win!

Die Hard - Who could forget this amazing film with hard hitter John McClain(Bruce wills fantastic performance) and the amazing ride which was "Yippee Kiy Yay"

Airplane - It's just clearly the best comedy film of all time. It launched a new era of spoof comedies and sight gags, for which I am eternally grateful. Even people who haven't seen it know quotes from it. It transcended!

Blade Runner - A Sci-Fi classic film that manages to equal the book it was based on, the outstanding Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Exceptional acting and direction throughout but the key features here were the existential questions asked through the plot and characters and the sublime way Scott subtly makes suggestions regarding the nature of identity. A massive influence on works in every conceivable medium.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - a film that needs no introduction or case made for it - it simply is one of the best films ever made, never mind from the 80s. There has never been a better feel-good movie than Ferris Bueller.

The Terminator - The Terminator made the reputation of cowriter/director James Cameron and solidified the stardom of Arnold Schwarzenegger. The movie begins in a post-apocalyptic 2029, when Los Angeles has been largely reduced to rubble and is under the thumb of all-powerful ruling machines. Kyle Reese (Michael Biehn), a member of the human resistance movement, is teleported back to 1984. His purpose: to rescue Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), the mother of the man who will lead the 21st-century rebels against the tyrannical machines, from being assassinated before she can give birth. Likewise thrust back to 1984 is The Terminator (Schwarzenegger), a grim, well-armed, virtually indestructable cyborg who has been programmed to eliminate Sarah Connor. This is the film in which Schwarzenegger declared "I'll be baaaack"

Back To The Future - A time travelling masterpiece. Michael J Fox's best film. Who didn't want to own a DeLorean?? One of those films that gets quoted even now.

The Goonies - Hey yoooooooooouuuu guyyyyyssss vote for this! This film defines life as a child growing up in the 80s, hanging out with your friends on bmxs, playing out & exploring, finding physically and mentally handicapped members of criminal gangs whilst searching for underground pirate treasure to stop you being relocated, we've all been there. So if you want to do the truffle shuffle one more time vote for this!

Last edited by Adam D on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Empty Re: Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:39 pm

Raiders-Because it's one of my all-time favourites
Bladerunner-Because it's one of the best, and best looking, films ever made.

Was a tough choice though.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 4 Empty Re: Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Bladerunner was garbage...but then again it's a marmite film....

You either Love it or hate it...great soundtrack though.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Bladerunner was garbage...but then again it's a marmite film....

Erm
To quote you, from this very thread

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Taste is a hard thing to come by these days!! Cool

ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:50 pm

People like what they like; there's no such thing as good taste or bad taste as such, only different tastes.
I often find that those who proclaim their own taste as better than that of others are either pompous or do so to compensate for an underlying lack of self-esteem.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 pm

I was being sarcastic.. Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:People like what they like; there's no such thing as good taste or bad taste as such, only different tastes.
I often find that those who proclaim their own taste as better than that of others are either pompous or do so to compensate for an underlying lack of self-esteem.

I do believe the whole point of the movie cup is to debate which movies are the best though...

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Crimey wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:People like what they like; there's no such thing as good taste or bad taste as such, only different tastes.

I do believe the whole point of the movie cup is to debate which movies are the best though...

I thought it was to pick our favourite(s), not proclaim them as 'the best' Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:59 pm

There is no way action films are the worst genre. I present to you "scary" films. Every one of them is terrible. And they make more remakes than any other genre.

Action films have to be taken for what they are. Theres no pretense, no art nouveau hipster intentions, its fun and easy to watch. Yippee Ki Yay is a wonderful catchphrase but it suits the character and the film completely.

Its better than every Bond film ever thats for sure, my god what an annoying character.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:02 pm

chris.wilkerson13 wrote:There is no way action films are the worst genre. I present to you "scary" films. Every one of them is terrible. And they make more remakes than any other genre.

Agree.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Crimey wrote:
chris.wilkerson13 wrote:There is no way action films are the worst genre. I present to you "scary" films. Every one of them is terrible. And they make more remakes than any other genre.

Agree.

Easy to make an action film.Generally ....some wisecracks and a few punches...Not so easy to make a scary horror film full of atmosphere and characters developed so you give a toss.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I was being sarcastic.. Rolling Eyes

OK, just be careful as in a thread all about people's indiviual tastes, saying something like that is bound to get a response
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:09 pm

I wasn't being sarcastic...Come on dear oh dear..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Bladerunner was garbage...but then again it's a marmite film....

One of the greatest sci-fi films ever. Much better, for example, than Terminator, which was basically a chase movie with a robot set in the 1980s.
Bladerunner touched, almost presciently, on a number of themes. The effects of pollution, the ethics of genetic engineering, and the growth of globalisation. Of course, you can argue that that was down to Philip K. Dick's genius as an author, but the film portrayed and, indeed, elaborated on, his vision, and created a, to me, both stunning and believeable redition of the future dystopia created by the forces Dick described.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Thought it was completely boring............loved the music though.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Never seen Bladerunner. Not sure I will after Trussmans glowing reference Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:18 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:

One of the greatest sci-fi films ever. Much better, for example, than Terminator, which was basically a chase movie with a robot set in the 1980s.
Bladerunner touched, almost presciently, on a number of themes. The effects of pollution, the ethics of genetic engineering, and the growth of globalisation. Of course, you can argue that that was down to Philip K. Dick's genius as an author, but the film portrayed and, indeed, elaborated on, his vision, and created a, to me, both stunning and believeable redition of the future dystopia created by the forces Dick described.

I'm not much of a sci-fi fan, don't really like the Alien series or Terminator films for instance, but finally got to watch Blade Runner last year & quite enjoyed it, a lot of depth to the characters & can see why people rave about it. Could easily imagine urban life being like that one day, either it's due to good writing or my own confused & gullible cynicism.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 pm

If you've got no taste Stell give it a go!! Laugh

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 pm

It is not an action film, that is for sure.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Book by Philip K Dick isn't bad though............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:24 pm

Stella wrote:Never seen Bladerunner. Not sure I will after Trussmans glowing reference Very Happy

Take his word for it then.
Just ignore my opinion. Crying or Very sad

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Crimey wrote:

Agree.

Easy to make an action film.Generally ....some wisecracks and a few punches...Not so easy to make a scary horror film full of atmosphere and characters developed so you give a toss.........

Yeah, but how many scary films are actually good? I can't think of many that I've enjoyed. They also age horribly.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:34 pm

He said everyone is terrible......Majority are terrible just as a majority of action ones are too.....Barb wire......Double impact etc...

Quality like Suspiria, Profondo Rosso are beautifully crafted pieces....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:36 pm

The Ring is quite scary
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Most horror films are just a bit funny. Plus, its easy to make a half decent action film, but not easy to make a really good one that holds the right tone. There are differences in action films, horror films all seem to be aiming for the same goal. Gore films are just horror films that are so bad everyone focuses on how enjoyable it is to watch really badly done gore.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Your opinion is fair enough Mate.......just pointing out that some are works of art.....

Generally older films that weren't done by lazy Directors...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:40 pm

I can't think of a single horror film I'd class as a work of art. The older ones have all aged really badly, worse than any other genre I'd say. If new horror films find it difficult not to become funny, the older ones have very little chance. I laughed all the way through Psycho which is considered a "classic Horror".

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:43 pm

I fell asleep during The Exorcist. It was a midnight showing though, and I might have had a few drinks.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:45 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I fell asleep during The Exorcist. It was a midnight showing though, and I might have had a few drinks.

I love The Exorcist, I do need to be distracted during the vomiting green stuff scene & the head-spinning scene though, they are a bit silly.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:
Stella wrote:Never seen Bladerunner. Not sure I will after Trussmans glowing reference Very Happy

Tbh, I've never really fancied it, although I like sci-fi and Harrison Ford.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Silence of the Lambs counts as thriller not horror, right? I do find Hannibal creepy as hell to be fair

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Jaws is a work of art and rightfully won three Oscars.......Suspiria beautifully done with a great soundtrack....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Thrillers could happen, Horrors can't
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:53 pm

Physco?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Stella wrote:Physco?

It'd do well in a comedy round I imagine.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Stella wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:

What is it that's put you off?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:
Stella wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:

What is it that's put you off?

Not sure? I don't think I've been in the mood for it, when it has come on the telly. May watch it one day.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:17 pm

Blade Runner by a mile, It was way ahead of its time.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Raging Bull, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Uncle Buck, Sophie's Choice, Amadeus. All better films than those nominated. I voted for Back to The Future, though the first sequel possibly better.

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:28 pm

I voted for The Empire strikes back and also back to the future reasons why are Empire was back in the day a top class film and changed the way we viewed sc-fi.

George Lucus was a director in te wrong time if he had the special effects then that we had today we would have seen an awesome film than it already was.

Back to the future was just a classic and I have all the films on DVD.

It was the first film I got to se on my own with my mates and we all thought it was pretty cool at the time and I still watch it now every time it comes on the TV.
Blade
Blade

http://dellsrangers.createaforum.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:31 am

NEXT ROUND GOING UP IN 30 MINS

TRUSSMAN, MtotheC and Onlytreblewinners - need your selections ASAP

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:45 am

Okay - I am going to have to pick for the people who havent submitted their nominations.

Next poll will be up shortly.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:04 am

Last rounds points go to :

Adam D
Nay Bother 1
Sodhat
Hornblower 3
MtotheC
Hero 2
Bull 10
Trussman 6
Galted
Azzy Mahmood 4
Crazygangwomble 8
treble winners 2
chequered Jersey 5

The table as it stands:

Nay 26
Bull 21
Hornblower 19
Azzy 16
Adam 15
Crazygangwomble 13
Chequered Jersey 13
Hero 10
Trussman 8
Galted 8
Sodhat 8
MtotheC 4
treble winners 2

Only takes one week and you can be caught - Nay was running away with it but Bull is on his heels!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:57 am

I'm looking like one of those promoted teams that gets a few wins at the start of the season, thinks they're in line for Europe & then gets sod all else for the rest of it.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4