The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prescription glasses

4 posters

Go down

Prescription glasses Empty Prescription glasses

Post by Cymroglan Wed 04 May 2011, 9:39 pm

Do any of you guys wear prescription glasses ? I normally wear varifocals for everyday use but could do with prescription sunglasses when I'm on my road bike.
Does anybody have any suggestions of where I could get some at a reasonable price,

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Prescription glasses Empty Re: Prescription glasses

Post by Cymroglan Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:50 pm

Looks like I shall have to keep buying new front wheel then.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:04 am

Sorry, this was covered on the BBC site (now defunct).

I don't wear them myself but I've seen adverts in cycling mags and I believe that you can send your prescription to them and get a quote back. Don't expect any change out of hundreds of pounds though.

Apparently, there's a problem if you have an unusual prescription (say very short-sighted) as it's difficult to make curved lenses that perform well.

Possible alternative solutions:
wear clip-ons over your specs;
wear a cloth cap to shade your eyes; you can even fit one under a helmet if you wear one;
consider photochromatic specs (expensive again)

For what it's worth I wear a cap and on the very rare occasions when I wear a helmet I sometimes wear a cap underneath.

The great danger of sunglasses, of course, is that your eyes may not react quickly when, say, hurtling into an area of darkness (like a tunnel) and vice versa. This problem will increase with age.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 02 Jun 2011, 2:14 pm

I just wear contacts and normal sun glasses, so it's easy enough to just take them off when somewhere dark (it isn't just tunnels but also sometimes under trees and similar).

My Dad had a pair of Rudy Project prescription glasses, which I think were very fast acting polychromatic (like Transitions lenses), but even then there can be a delay when you go from light to dark. As Azabache said, don't expect change from £300.00 (and that was just with standard single vision lenses - not sure how much varifocals will be needed or add to the cost).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Stuart81 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:46 pm

I recently purchased a pair of Oakley sunglasses with transparent prescription lenses.

Having done a bit of research the cheapest place I could find was Vision Express, as recommended by a guy in the Oakley store!

They cost me £230, but worth every penny. My field of vision is massively improved from when I was wearing everyday glasses, and they sit a lot closer to the eyes so less dust etc gets in whilst riding.

Stuart81

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down