The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Premier League...the most boring league in the world

+17
JamesLincs
imprettyfly
Good Golly I'm Olly
dummy_half
Mat
Crimey
Dolphin Ziggler
NickisBHAFC
Stella
Imperial Ghosty
ONETWOFOREVER
CFCNick
Duty281
Bull
Ent
The Special Juan
JPX
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Premier League...the most boring league in the world Empty The Premier League...the most boring league in the world

Post by JPX Mon 22 Apr 2013, 8:57 pm

The Premier League.........yet another mind numbingly boring season.........so Utd win another league title yawn yawn. So who do you think will win next season? Utd again probably.

It's like watching a horse race where there's 4 thoroughbreads consisting of a class 1 (Utd), a couple of so so's (City & Chelsea), 1 so so with a rider who is sat the wrong way round (Arsenal) and 16 donkeys about 20 furlongs behind.

Then there's scandel after scandel, poor sportsmanship, the "no respect campaign", Bring back the Olympics with athletes who know how to behave.

Disgraceful. Will not be renewing my Sky Sports subscription for next season.

Last edited by JPX on Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:03 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : should have proof read)

JPX

Back to top Go down

The Premier League...the most boring league in the world Empty Re: The Premier League...the most boring league in the world

Post by The Special Juan Mon 22 Apr 2013, 8:58 pm

You've obviously never watched the SPL.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

The Premier League...the most boring league in the world Empty Re: The Premier League...the most boring league in the world

Post by JPX Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:00 pm

The SPL is where my dog racing analogy comes in to play.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:02 pm

The only boring thing is the comparison to the olympics.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:07 pm

Is that it? Nobody can tell me why they come back season after season to watch the same antics? Guess I must be right.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:39 pm

The Olympics is boring.

La Liga has been boring and is always a barca or real fight
though barca have run away with it so boring.

Budesliga is usually good but been a one horse race this season.

so to say the prem is the most boring is stupid.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:46 pm

You can attribute this to most of the top leagues. SPL - one horse race. Bundesliga - Munich and Dortmund. La Liga - Real and Barca.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:46 pm

The Olympics comparison was for sportsmanship and behaviour.

But yeah agree, La Liga is a 2 horse race every year, bit like the SPL....oh wait.

Still finding the EPL boring as hell.....relegation is vaguely interesting I suppose....if only to see Redknapp get relegated (wonder how long it will be before he jumps ship!_

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:49 pm

JPX wrote:The Olympics comparison was for sportsmanship and behaviour.

But yeah agree, La Liga is a 2 horse race every year, bit like the SPL....oh wait.

Still finding the EPL boring as hell.....relegation is vaguely interesting I suppose....if only to see Redknapp get relegated (wonder how long it will be before he jumps ship!_

Don't watch it then. Watch a different league, watch some non-league football, watch a different sport altogether, play a sport, learn how to play the piano etc.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:51 pm

Good idea, never thought of that. Rolling Eyes

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:53 pm

JPX wrote:Is that it? Nobody can tell me why they come back season after season to watch the same antics? Guess I must be right.

We come back season after season because despite how great or how depressing last season was we're all hopeful that this year is our teams year. It filters down through fans of all clubs. Maybe we'll win the league, maybe we'll get top 4, maybe we'll qualify for Europe, maybe we'll go on an unexpected cup run.

It doesn't matter how great or how crap you're team is. We all feel the same in August. It's a new season, it'll be better than last season. I've started watching Northampton this season. I know it's not the Premier League but last year they were fighting for Football League survival, this year they just fell short of an automatic promotion spot but will be in the playoffs. Every August we all have hope and excitement for what the next 10 months holds for us.

That good enough an answer for you?

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:56 pm

JPX wrote:The Olympics comparison was for sportsmanship and behaviour.

I'd love to agree with you but there were badminton teams throwing matches and a fencer who refused to leave.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:59 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:
JPX wrote:Is that it? Nobody can tell me why they come back season after season to watch the same antics? Guess I must be right.

We come back season after season because despite how great or how depressing last season was we're all hopeful that this year is our teams year. It filters down through fans of all clubs. Maybe we'll win the league, maybe we'll get top 4, maybe we'll qualify for Europe, maybe we'll go on an unexpected cup run.

It doesn't matter how great or how crap you're team is. We all feel the same in August. It's a new season, it'll be better than last season. I've started watching Northampton this season. I know it's not the Premier League but last year they were fighting for Football League survival, this year they just fell short of an automatic promotion spot but will be in the playoffs. Every August we all have hope and excitement for what the next 10 months holds for us.

That good enough an answer for you?

This. I don't even support a club in the PL, but it's been wonderful to see United's resilience, Chelsea fall apart and rebuild, Tottenham growing in stature, Everton/Saints/Swansea/West Ham punching above their weight, and of course the controversy. Equally, it's been great to watch players such as RVP, Bale, Michu, Hazard, Wilshere, and, despite everything, Suarez. Bring on next season, but not too soon, the battle for the top 4 and survival is going right to the wire!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:00 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:That good enough an answer for you?

Not really I was talking PL, I get lower league football's attraction as it's more of a level playing field for all the teams. (Just ask Wolves fans!)

Credit to you for going to Northampton week after week though.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:13 pm

Duty281 wrote:This. I don't even support a club in the PL, but it's been wonderful to see United's resilience, Chelsea fall apart and rebuild, Tottenham growing in stature, Everton/Saints/Swansea/West Ham punching above their weight, and of course the controversy. Equally, it's been great to watch players such as RVP, Bale, Michu, Hazard, Wilshere, and, despite everything, Suarez. Bring on next season, but not too soon, the battle for the top 4 and survival is going right to the wire!

Horses for courses I suppose.

Same time next year to see Utd win, City second, Chelsea sack 3 more managers and battle it our with Arsenal and Spurs (who will get all excited about finishing in the top 4 again).

Can't think Liverpool fans feel excited about next season surely? Top 5 finish at best? (....or do they stil really think they can get top 4?)

Still the relegation fight might bring some interest I suppose.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:17 pm

JPX wrote:
Duty281 wrote:This. I don't even support a club in the PL, but it's been wonderful to see United's resilience, Chelsea fall apart and rebuild, Tottenham growing in stature, Everton/Saints/Swansea/West Ham punching above their weight, and of course the controversy. Equally, it's been great to watch players such as RVP, Bale, Michu, Hazard, Wilshere, and, despite everything, Suarez. Bring on next season, but not too soon, the battle for the top 4 and survival is going right to the wire!

Same time next year to see Utd win, City second, Chelsea sack 3 more managers and battle it our with Arsenal and Spurs (who will get all excited about finishing in the top 4 again).

Can't think Liverpool fans feel excited about next season surely? Top 5 finish at best? (....or do they stil really think they can get top 4?)

Have you ever met/known a Liverpool fan? My mate who I've known for 14 years thinks every next year is their year.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:18 pm

JPX wrote:

THEN DONT WATCH IT SIMPLE

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:23 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:Have you ever met/known a Liverpool fan? My mate who I've known for 14 years thinks every next year is their year.
Ha no you are right..............they usually start "this season we're going to..." and before they finish I interrupt with "finish behind Everton again?" Always gets em.

thebrahmabull, you've missed the point!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:30 pm

The PL is exciting but not this season. Last season ended in exciting dramatic fashion and I am a MAN UTD fan.

Its changing now with Liverpool edging out of the top 4 big boys and Spurs coming in it makes things very exciting.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:33 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:The PL is exciting but not this season. Last season ended in exciting dramatic fashion and I am a MAN UTD fan.

Its changing now with Liverpool edging out of the top 4 big boys and Spurs coming in it makes things very exciting.
At last someone who talks sense. Maybe I am getting a bit carried away with this season, last seasons finish was great I'll give you that.

However, not sure Liverpool dropping out of the top 4 being replaced by Spurs is even enough to give me a semi.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:38 pm

Christ lad you'd have to talk to the wife otherwise.

No wonder we all love the pl

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:43 pm

This season hasn't been the best at the top of the league but between 3 and 6 with Chelsea, Tottenham, Everton and Arsenal it's very competitive more so than it was 4/5 years ago.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 23 Apr 2013, 4:39 pm

Every league is the same isn't it?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 23 Apr 2013, 5:06 pm

Championship > Premiership.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 23 Apr 2013, 6:48 pm

If championship had the quality of the prem it would be. It also has the playoffs. But the glory, as much as sky would like to convince you otherwise, is just not as amazing. The chance at the champions league pits you against the best in the world just for finishing fourth. And relegation is far more intense.

This season is getting a lot of stick basically cos of the title race. The relegation fight has been amazing due to the amount of teams flirting with the fight, even QPR have been interesting and they have barely done anything. It's still exciting too, as is the battle for top four.

And then there's the displays of talent within the league and competitive fixtures every week.

I prefer the Prem and I also got a playoff final late win at Wembley last season in the playoff final. I love the Championship, we're lucky to have such a good football league system, it makes English football the best in the world. We punched above our weight this year and the win at home Chelsea, draw with United and even the last minute loss to Spurs were all amazing games for fan and neutral alike.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:49 pm

Spot on Chris, one thing ill like to add to that

The biggest game in the world money wise is the Championship play off final

More money can be made winning that, than the Champions league final #Fact

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 24 Apr 2013, 9:48 am

NickisBHAFC wrote:Spot on Chris, one thing ill like to add to that

The biggest game in the world money wise is the Championship play off final

More money can be made winning that, than the Champions league final #Fact

Potentially. That has a lot of ifs and maybes and being promoted to the Premier League can actually cripple a club financially as it struggles to compete. I worry for the likes of Southampton and QPR who spent large amounts of money on getting to the Premier League but don't look equipped to last a long time. Southampton stayed up this year, but I don't think it's out of the question that they might get relegated next year.

It's a vicious circle, if you don't spend money, you'll probably get relegated, but if you do spend money and get relegated you can get into financial trouble, if you overspend and stay up you might get into financial trouble. It's a balancing act.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Apr 2013, 12:26 pm

JPX wrote:The Premier League.........yet another mind numbingly boring season.........so Utd win another league title yawn yawn. So who do you think will win next season? Utd again probably.

It's like watching a horse race where there's 4 thoroughbreads consisting of a class 1 (Utd), a couple of so so's (City & Chelsea), 1 so so with a rider who is sat the wrong way round (Arsenal) and 16 donkeys about 20 furlongs behind.

Then there's scandel after scandel, poor sportsmanship, the "no respect campaign", Bring back the Olympics with athletes who know how to behave.Disgraceful. Will not be renewing my Sky Sports subscription for next season.
I take it you'll be including the Eastern European weighlifters who were done for sexual assault on under-age girls will you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Wed 24 Apr 2013, 1:55 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Championship > Premiership.

You can't say that as you don't know what it's like in the Premier League Wink

Seriously though, the reason everyone comes back year after year is to support their team. I wouldn't be much of a fan if I said "Oh we finished 8th this year, it won't get better than this so I think I'll stop watching."

It hasn't been a vintage year for the Premier League but it was always going to be compared to the craziness of last season.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 24 Apr 2013, 2:32 pm

The other issue this year is that Man U have won easily but are not a team that is going to live long in the memory. OK, RVP is top class, Rooney has had his moments, but you look at them on paper and compared to the later Ronaldo-era team or the Giggs-Scholes-Keane-Beckham team they really don't stack up favourably. After all, would the likes of Valencia, Nani or Young be anywhere near the earlier teams?

They've been consistently good, mostly at avoiding dropping points by drawing games, but have rarely really set the pulse racing. Unfortunately, City have mounted a poor defence of their title, Chelsea haven't fully addressed their issues with an aging team and poor management decisions and the rest are simply too far short in quality to maintain a consistent challenge.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 24 Apr 2013, 2:57 pm

The Championship is certainly more competitive and exciting in my eyes, lower quality though.

We come back to watch every year because we love watching football and the trials and tribulations of our sides
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 24 Apr 2013, 3:05 pm

The championship and lower leagues will nearly be more competitive, due to promotion and relegation.

The EPL is like any other top league in Europe. A few good teams, some mediocre ones, then the cr.p
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 24 Apr 2013, 3:37 pm

Stella wrote:The championship and lower leagues will nearly be more competitive, due to promotion and relegation.

The EPL is like any other top league in Europe. A few good teams, some mediocre ones, then the cr.p

The lower leagues are less about buying your way to success, more a case of developing players and then looking to hang on to the good ones for long enough when the bigger clubs come in. Take Leeds as an example - close to the playoffs last year but have lost their better players (mostly to Norwich...) and have had a real struggle this campaign.

Obviously in the EPL there is a big disparity in the attractiveness of clubs to their potential transfer targets - no-one who had the choice would choose Wigan over either of the Manchester clubs (City for money, Utd for heritage) or Fulham over Chelsea. This just means it is very difficult for 'lesser' clubs to close the gap on those in and around the Champions League places (Liverpool may be the one exception, who can still attract better players than their current status should allow because of their history of success).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 24 Apr 2013, 3:46 pm

dummy_half wrote:
Stella wrote:The championship and lower leagues will nearly be more competitive, due to promotion and relegation.

The lower leagues are less about buying your way to success, more a case of developing players and then looking to hang on to the good ones for long enough when the bigger clubs come in. Take Leeds as an example - close to the playoffs last year but have lost their better players (mostly to Norwich...) and have had a real struggle this campaign.

Obviously in the EPL there is a big disparity in the attractiveness of clubs to their potential transfer targets - no-one who had the choice would choose Wigan over either of the Manchester clubs (City for money, Utd for heritage) or Fulham over Chelsea. This just means it is very difficult for 'lesser' clubs to close the gap on those in and around the Champions League places (Liverpool may be the one exception, who can still attract better players than their current status should allow because of their history of success).

I agree. It's the same all over Europe though.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:46 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
JPX wrote:The Premier League.........yet another mind numbingly boring season.........so Utd win another league title yawn yawn. So who do you think will win next season? Utd again probably.

Then there's scandel after scandel, poor sportsmanship, the "no respect campaign", Bring back the Olympics with athletes who know how to behave.Disgraceful. Will not be renewing my Sky Sports subscription for next season.
I take it you'll be including the Eastern European weighlifters who were done for sexual assault on under-age girls will you?
There's more than enought off field events involving footballers to bring up so lets not got there shall we?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by imprettyfly Thu 25 Apr 2013, 2:35 pm

JPX wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

There's more than enought off field events involving footballers to bring up so lets not got there shall we?

you went there...

you dont like the prem... fine go watch rugby instead

imprettyfly

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 25 Apr 2013, 3:19 pm

Stella wrote:
dummy_half wrote:

I agree. It's the same all over Europe though.

Certainly true of the major leagues, and something that appears to be becoming ever more the case - Barca and Real have a lock on La Liga that even Celtic and Rangers would be proud of, Bayern and Dortmund on the Bundesliga, AC, Inter and Juve on Serie A. Arguably the EPL situation is slightly less bad, as in different years you can make the case for 4 teams challenging (Man U, Man C, Chelsea and Arsenal). The concern in England of course is how much the almost infinite supply of money to Man City and Chelsea will skew things in their favour, and whether other clubs will retain the ability to compete without the benefit of a gazillionaire benefactor.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 25 Apr 2013, 3:21 pm

The Olympic spirit. The gushing over that phrase ruined last summer.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 25 Apr 2013, 5:30 pm

imprettyfly wrote:
JPX wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

you went there...

you dont like the prem... fine go watch rugby instead
No I didn't, Dave brought up off field events trying to be clever, but I shot him down obviously.

....and I do watch rugby on occasion, it's nice to see some respect for the referee for a change.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu 25 Apr 2013, 6:37 pm

i think youre boring everyone know

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 25 Apr 2013, 6:51 pm

JamesLincs wrote:i think youre boring everyone know
Thanks for your valued input Rolling Eyes

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 25 Apr 2013, 7:14 pm

Seems appropriate right now

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 25 Apr 2013, 9:31 pm

Which leads me on to another point;

WWF, sweaty men pumped up on steroids pretending to fight each other................boring as hell!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 25 Apr 2013, 9:35 pm

Is hell boring?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 25 Apr 2013, 9:42 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Is hell boring?

https://youtu.be/J2qG4B6Jzhs

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 25 Apr 2013, 9:43 pm

Yep, boring as........well this seasons EPL....or wrestling.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 26 Apr 2013, 8:05 am

JPX wrote:Which leads me on to another point;

WWF, sweaty men pumped up on steroids pretending to fight each other................boring as hell!

I always thought WWF were trying to save the pandas???

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:16 am

JPX wrote:
Thanks for your valued input Rolling Eyes

you're welcome Very Happy

silence!

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:17 am

ive embarrassed myself. look at that spelling!

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 26 Apr 2013, 10:47 am

Don't worry I knew you were having a dig at me

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next