What Did The 00's Have?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Stella on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 3:24 pm

The 50's had rock and roll, the 60's - Beat music, the summer of love and all that, the 70's - punk, the 80's - synthisisers, birth of grunge, and the 90's - britpop

So, what was the 00's all about? Simon Cowell? Or am I missing something?
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by superflyweight on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 6:31 pm

Can't think of much. The decade started well enough with bands like the Strokes and the White Stripes coming through and Arctic Monkeys first album stands the test of time but none really could be classed as part of movement and some gems aside, it was a disappointing decade. Think the changing nature of the music market and the way music was purchased meant that music "scenes" didn't develop in the same way.

Only thing I can really think of may be "New Country". But that may have started in the 90's.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 6293
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : Right here waiting for you

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by JuliusHMarx on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 9:32 pm

Illegal downloads.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Posts : 18569
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Paisley Park

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Il Gialloblu on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 1:08 pm

I think it's an interesting decade to look back on. For me personally, anyway, if perhaps not you. Having been born in 1980, the 00's were my 20's and represented a time when new music played a far bigger part in my life than it does now.

Superfly made some good points above, and also mentioned New Country, which suggest the decade was rubbish. Looking back, the decade starting with nu-metal was even worse. Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach et al. It was all a terrible din. As superfly says, The Strokes and The White Stripes came along and injected some musicianship into proceedings, and a lot of cool. Perhaps too much of the latter and not enough of the former, in the case of The Strokes.

What they also helped to usher (he was rubbish too) in however was a slew of very average bands that started with 'The'. I know it's nothing new, but it did seem ridiculous at one point how every band that came along seemed be 'The SomethingOrOther(s)'.

Another problem was how many of these bands came along. Scenes never developed because bands themsleves weren't given time to develop, which was partly due to music fans deeming it of the utmost importance to be the first to hear about the 'next big thing'. By the time a band had recorded their second album, nobody cared anymore.

I was as guilty as anyone for this. There are loads of bands that I only bought the debut of. I still listen to them too.

Although not scenes, there were certainly genres that benefitted from having one very successful artist and clever marketing men following them. David Gray opened the door to loads of blokes with acoustic guitars, some of which I really liked (Tom McRae, Stephen Fretwell), some of which I thought were awful (Jack Johnson).

One or two of Amy Winehouse, Adele and Duffy perhaps benefitted from being around at the same time? Who knows.

Milburn, Little Man Tate and Reverend & The Makers all came out of some Sheffield scene with Arctic Monkeys.

Art rock. Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party and others that I never got into.

The decade threatened to end similarly to how it started, with a rubbish genre that began with nu, but thankfully nu-rave fizzled out after about three and a half Klaxons songs.

Having said all of this, I was never stuck for something new and current to listen to. Yes, some of it was rubbish and all style over substance, but at the time it was there and I liked it. I went to T in the Park every year between 2000 and 2007 and was always at small gigs in Nottingham, usually at smaller venues like The Social or Rescue Rooms, not seeing bigger bands at Rock City or the Ice Arena.

So, what good things did the 00's have?

I want to mention first a music magazine that was on the old Channel Four teletext. It was called Planet Sound and it was phenomenal. The guy behind it basically had very similar taste to mine, which meant if he gave an album a good review, I could pretty much guarantee I'd like it.

The second thing to mention was a few areas that were producing great music throughout the decade. Again, this is all personal to me and my memories of the decade.

The first of these would be the Scottish indie scene. Maybe all from Glasgow? Apologies if I'm wrong, but in my mind I can group these bands kind of together in terms of locale, style, and quality of output. Belle & Sebastian, Arab Strap/Malcolm Middleton, The Delgados, and later Glasvegas and The Twilight Sad.

Another (bigger) area would be North East Canada. The Dears, The Hidden Cameras, Arcade Fire all produced good stuff. Only three bands granted, but from an area not reknowned so much in the UK. It was better overall than the Monkeys led Sheffield scene, at any rate.

The biggest thing about the 00's really for me was a shift as the decade wore on from Oasis/Libertines British lad rock to the American indie scene, mostly I believe from the North West. Artists like The National, Rilo Kiley, Band of Horses, Modest Mouse, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes and The Shins.

The king of the 00's for me though, and my favourite artist of the lot, is Conor Oberst/Bright Eyes. He released brilliant records throughout the decade and continues to do so.

There was a lot of rubbish in the 00's, both musically and with other aspects of the industry, but like any decade, there is a lot of great music to be found if you know where to look.

Tell you what, I'll give you a nudge in the right direction with a few recommendations (in alphabetical order as I scroll down my music library, and with not too many by the same bands):

Spoiler:
Arcade Fire – Funeral
Asobi Seksu - Citrus
Belle & Sebastian – The Life Pursuit/Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Bright Eyes – Cassadaga/I’m Wide Awake It’s Morning
Conor Oberst – Conor Oberst/Outer South
Dengue Fever – Venus on Earth
Doves – The Last Broadcast
Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
Liam Frost – Show Me How The Spectres Dance
Low – The Great Destroyer
Modest Mouse – Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Rilo Kiley – More Adventurous/The Execution of All Things
Stephen Fretwell – Man on the Roof
The Cribs – The New Fellas
The Decemberists – The Crane Wife
The Delgados – Hate
The Hidden Cameras – The Smell of Our Own
The Long Blondes – Someone To Drive You Home
The National – Alligator/Boxer
The Shins – Chutes Too Narrow/Wincing The Night Away
The Twilight Sad – Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters
The Wrens – The Meadowlands
Tom McRae – Tom McRae/Just Like Blood

That’ll do. All from 2000 to 2009 I believe.

And superfly: whilst Arctic Monkeys’ debut was good, I think it’s actually their weakest record. The subsequent ones were less immediate, but have far more depth, I find.

And just to reiterate, that is all from my experience as a fan, not an expert. It’s just my opinion but if you happen to think nu metal or Jack Johnson were good, you’re still wrong. Awful stuff.

Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Posts : 1759
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Hulking_up on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:30 pm

It was the decade hip hop died.
It started off well but by mid '00s it became too comercial and softened up.
10 years ago Snoop was rapping with Dre, now he's making music with Miley Cyrus.

Hulking_up

Posts : 530
Join date : 2012-11-23

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Nakatomi Plaza on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 6:33 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:I think it's an interesting decade to look back on. For me personally, anyway, if perhaps not you. Having been born in 1980, the 00's were my 20's and represented a time when new music played a far bigger part in my life than it does now.

Superfly made some good points above, and also mentioned New Country, which suggest the decade was rubbish. Looking back, the decade starting with nu-metal was even worse. Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach et al. It was all a terrible din. As superfly says, The Strokes and The White Stripes came along and injected some musicianship into proceedings, and a lot of cool. Perhaps too much of the latter and not enough of the former, in the case of The Strokes.

What they also helped to usher (he was rubbish too) in however was a slew of very average bands that started with 'The'. I know it's nothing new, but it did seem ridiculous at one point how every band that came along seemed be 'The SomethingOrOther(s)'.

Another problem was how many of these bands came along. Scenes never developed because bands themsleves weren't given time to develop, which was partly due to music fans deeming it of the utmost importance to be the first to hear about the 'next big thing'. By the time a band had recorded their second album, nobody cared anymore.

I was as guilty as anyone for this. There are loads of bands that I only bought the debut of. I still listen to them too.

Although not scenes, there were certainly genres that benefitted from having one very successful artist and clever marketing men following them. David Gray opened the door to loads of blokes with acoustic guitars, some of which I really liked (Tom McRae, Stephen Fretwell), some of which I thought were awful (Jack Johnson).

One or two of Amy Winehouse, Adele and Duffy perhaps benefitted from being around at the same time? Who knows.

Milburn, Little Man Tate and Reverend & The Makers all came out of some Sheffield scene with Arctic Monkeys.

Art rock. Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party and others that I never got into.

The decade threatened to end similarly to how it started, with a rubbish genre that began with nu, but thankfully nu-rave fizzled out after about three and a half Klaxons songs.

Having said all of this, I was never stuck for something new and current to listen to. Yes, some of it was rubbish and all style over substance, but at the time it was there and I liked it. I went to T in the Park every year between 2000 and 2007 and was always at small gigs in Nottingham, usually at smaller venues like The Social or Rescue Rooms, not seeing bigger bands at Rock City or the Ice Arena.

So, what good things did the 00's have?

I want to mention first a music magazine that was on the old Channel Four teletext. It was called Planet Sound and it was phenomenal. The guy behind it basically had very similar taste to mine, which meant if he gave an album a good review, I could pretty much guarantee I'd like it.

The second thing to mention was a few areas that were producing great music throughout the decade. Again, this is all personal to me and my memories of the decade.

The first of these would be the Scottish indie scene. Maybe all from Glasgow? Apologies if I'm wrong, but in my mind I can group these bands kind of together in terms of locale, style, and quality of output. Belle & Sebastian, Arab Strap/Malcolm Middleton, The Delgados, and later Glasvegas and The Twilight Sad.

Another (bigger) area would be North East Canada. The Dears, The Hidden Cameras, Arcade Fire all produced good stuff. Only three bands granted, but from an area not reknowned so much in the UK. It was better overall than the Monkeys led Sheffield scene, at any rate.

The biggest thing about the 00's really for me was a shift as the decade wore on from Oasis/Libertines British lad rock to the American indie scene, mostly I believe from the North West. Artists like The National, Rilo Kiley, Band of Horses, Modest Mouse, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes and The Shins.

The king of the 00's for me though, and my favourite artist of the lot, is Conor Oberst/Bright Eyes. He released brilliant records throughout the decade and continues to do so.

There was a lot of rubbish in the 00's, both musically and with other aspects of the industry, but like any decade, there is a lot of great music to be found if you know where to look.

Tell you what, I'll give you a nudge in the right direction with a few recommendations (in alphabetical order as I scroll down my music library, and with not too many by the same bands):

Spoiler:
Arcade Fire – Funeral
Asobi Seksu - Citrus
Belle & Sebastian – The Life Pursuit/Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Bright Eyes – Cassadaga/I’m Wide Awake It’s Morning
Conor Oberst – Conor Oberst/Outer South
Dengue Fever – Venus on Earth
Doves – The Last Broadcast
Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
Liam Frost – Show Me How The Spectres Dance
Low – The Great Destroyer
Modest Mouse – Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Rilo Kiley – More Adventurous/The Execution of All Things
Stephen Fretwell – Man on the Roof
The Cribs – The New Fellas
The Decemberists – The Crane Wife
The Delgados – Hate
The Hidden Cameras – The Smell of Our Own
The Long Blondes – Someone To Drive You Home
The National – Alligator/Boxer
The Shins – Chutes Too Narrow/Wincing The Night Away
The Twilight Sad – Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters
The Wrens – The Meadowlands
Tom McRae – Tom McRae/Just Like Blood

That’ll do. All from 2000 to 2009 I believe.

And superfly: whilst Arctic Monkeys’ debut was good, I think it’s actually their weakest record. The subsequent ones were less immediate, but have far more depth, I find.

And just to reiterate, that is all from my experience as a fan, not an expert. It’s just my opinion but if you happen to think nu metal or Jack Johnson were good, you’re still wrong. Awful stuff.


I used to read Planet Sound daily as well. Was Colin Earls the journalist you're referring to.

Also enjoyed the daily letters page, 'The Void',. Had some real characters writing into that.

Nakatomi Plaza

Posts : 2812
Join date : 2012-07-27
Location : Suplex City

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Il Gialloblu on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 1:23 pm

Nakatomi Plaza wrote:I used to read Planet Sound daily as well. Was Colin Earls the journalist you're referring to.

Also enjoyed the daily letters page, 'The Void',. Had some real characters writing into that.

John Earls. The Void was another great part of it all too, yes. Planet Sound was part of my daily routine. Did you used to read Digitiser too, the old computer games one? I loved the humour. Too funny really for what it was.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Posts : 1759
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Rowley on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 2:20 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:

It’s just my opinion but if you happen to think Jack Johnson were good, you’re still wrong. Awful stuff.


And he ducked Sam Langford, which is probably the most obscure boxing/mistaken identity joke you will see on this, or any other, forum.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 46
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Il Gialloblu on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 3:02 pm

Rowley wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:

It’s just my opinion but if you happen to think Jack Johnson were good, you’re still wrong. Awful stuff.


And he ducked Sam Langford, which is probably the most obscure boxing/mistaken identity joke you will see on this, or any other, forum.

I'd just like to point out, rowley edited my original words. You can tell because it now sounds really Yorkshire.

Spoiler:
What Did The 00's Have? Seth+1980
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Posts : 1759
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Rowley on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 3:12 pm

First time you have sounded like a real man on here Il, you should be thanking me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 46
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by 88Chris05 on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 3:43 pm

The 00s broought us a stupid fad of R'n'B / hiphop artists using old records as 'samples' in their own and everyone drooling over how amazing and intelligent they are for doing it (Eminem, the Black Eyed effing Peas, whoever that trollop is who has just released that horrific 'Ready or Not' pastiche etc).

The 00s also brought us a load of Americans singing awful songs about a dancefloors. Yep, if you mention a dancefloor in your song, you're on to a good thing.
88Chris05
88Chris05
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9017
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 31
Location : Nottingham

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Rowley on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 3:59 pm

Hope you don't include Murder on the Dancefloor in that Chris, makes your views on the Godfather look even handed if so.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 46
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:02 pm

The 00's brought us the Kings of Leon so they can be forgiven for everything else.

Even for The Fast Food Rockers.


Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 17786
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Rowley on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:05 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:The 00's brought us the Kings of Leon so they can be forgiven for everything else.

Lost interest in them after the second album. TSMR says this is because they became popular but I maintain it is once they started doing their U2 impression and going all stadium rock.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 46
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:07 pm

Rowley wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:The 00's brought us the Kings of Leon so they can be forgiven for everything else.

U2 impression and going all stadium rock.

Whatever.

If you're going to paraphrase someone, Jeff, at least pick someone more interesting than Noel Gallagher. Or was it Liam? Hard to tell as they are both as dull and moronic as each other.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 17786
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Stella on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:09 pm

Il makes a good point about age. I'm in my 40's so maybe this decade was one to many for me?
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Rowley on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:13 pm

Wasn't paraphrasing anyone Tina. Am capable of forming an opinion all on my own, and if I was going to nick anyone's opinion it would not be either of those two.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 46
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:17 pm

Rowley wrote:Wasn't paraphrasing anyone Tina. Am capable of forming an opinion all on my own, and if I was going to nick anyone's opinion it would not be either of those two.

You seem very defensive Jeff.

You and I both know you were stealing a line from one of the brothers Grimm.

I forgive you though. We all do it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 17786
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Rowley on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:39 pm

I don't mind getting criticised for plagarism tina, but this is one of the rare occasions I am actually innocent of the charge on here.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 46
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:41 pm

Rowley wrote:I don't mind getting criticised for plagarism tina, but this is one of the rare occasions I am actually innocent of the charge on here.

Fair enough, Jeffrey.

In that case, you should be more worried that you share a similar opinion to one of the mono-browed t*ssers.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 17786
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Rowley on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:43 pm

It is a worry Tina, might have to pretend to like Keane as I know they hate them but even I could not lower myself to that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 46
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:45 pm

Rowley wrote:It is a worry Tina, might have to pretend to like Keane as I know they hate them but even I could not lower myself to that.

Good god, now they were a trio of soppy idiots.

I believe one of them went to rehab amazingly enough. I think he sniffed too much Tip-Ex.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 17786
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Rowley on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:52 pm

You have to be suspicious of any band that does not have a frigging guitarist in them. I hold them personally responsible for the general trend of wet arsedness that is all pervasive currently. In my little world without Keane there would be no Ed Sheeran and all those other whiny arsed acoustic dullards I endure every time someone gets to the radio at work before me.

Stop whining, plug your guitars in and throw some tvs or groupies out of a window, you’re meant to be rock stars.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 46
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Hero on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:05 pm

The 00s for me were a fantastic decade for music:

Soft Rock & Indie

The Killers - Somebody Told Me, mr Brightside, All these things that Ive done.
Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire, Molly's Chamber, Four Kicks, the Bucket, On Call, Fans, Charmer
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Flaming Lips - Do you realise? Yoshi battles the pink robots, the Yeah YeahYeah song
Muse: Plug In Baby, knights of Cydonia, New Born, Feeling Good,
Elbow: One day like this, forget myself, Grounds for Divorce
Kasabian: Empire, Clubfoot, Fire, LSF
Vampire Weekend: A Punk
Gossip: Standing in the Way of Control
Coldplay: Clocks, Yellow, Fix You
The Hives: Hate to say I told you so
Queens of the Stone Age: Noone Knows, lost art of keeping a secret, feel good hit of the summer, go with the flow
Bloc Party: Banquet, Helicopter, So Here We Are
Frank Ferdinand: Take Me out
Arctic Monkeys: I bet you look good on the dance floor, a certain romance,
Arcade Fire: Wake Up, rebellion, neighbourhood #3
Doves: There goes the Fear, Pounding
Strokes: Last nite, hard to explain
White Stripes: Fell in Love With a Girl, Seven Nation Army, Blue Orchid, Hotel Yorba, hardest button to button
Hot Chip: Over & Over
Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Maps, gold lion, zero, turn into, cheated hearts, heads will roll
Libertines: Can't stand me now, don't look back into the sun, up the bracket, time for heroes
MGMT: Time to pretend
Ian Brown: Fear

Dance:

Daft Punk: Harder, better, faster, stronger. aerodynamic, technologic, digital love, one more time
Spiller: Groovejet
Justice v Simian: We are your friends
Prodigy: Omen, Invaders must die
Chemical Brothers: Believe, Galvanise
Basement Jaxx: Where's your head at, Romeo
Mylo : Drop the pressure


Pop:

Gnarls Barkley: Crazy
Kylie: Can't get you out of my head
Kelis: Milkshake
Britney : Toxic
Outcast: Sorry Ms Jackson, hey ya
Beyonce: Crazy in Love


hip hop/rap

Jamie T: Sheila
Jay Z: 99 problems, Empire State of Mind
Dizzee Rascal: Fix up, look sharp. Bonkers
Kane West: Gold Digga, Jesus Walks
Missy Elliott: Get Ur Freak On
The Streets: Dry your eyes mate, fit but you know it, has it come to this?, lets push things forward, blinded by the lights


Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 28226
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 43
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by ChequeredJersey on Wed 01 May 2013, 9:42 pm

Indie Music and Indie Rock. Some great music in the noughties. Better than the 90s anyway
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Posts : 18707
Join date : 2011-12-23
Age : 30
Location : London, UK

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Makaveli on Wed 01 May 2013, 10:11 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Indie Music and Indie Rock. Some great music in the noughties. Better than the 90s anyway

Up until about 2008 the 00's were not that bad for me, 50 cent when he first came on the scene with get rich and die trying, akon had a good spell, twista, kanye west and nelly all did ok.

Jersey, were you referring to 90s rock music or jus 90's music in general? cus I think over all in terms of music the 90s were the best

Makaveli

Posts : 192
Join date : 2013-02-27

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by sodhat on Thu 02 May 2013, 9:01 am

The early to mid-2000s were when I was growing up and getting into a lot of music. I remember it as a great time, and a time when indie was ruling the roost before the inevitable decline came when too many crap bands came around. I'm looking at you, Razorlight.

sodhat

Posts : 22236
Join date : 2011-02-28
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by ChequeredJersey on Thu 02 May 2013, 9:03 am

sodhat wrote:The early to mid-2000s were when I was growing up and getting into a lot of music. I remember it as a great time, and a time when indie was ruling the roost before the inevitable decline came when too many crap bands came around. I'm looking at you, Razorlight.

Strongly agreed.

And as for the 90s, maybe I'm misremembering some great stuff but I meant all music. I am not a fan of Brit Pop
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Posts : 18707
Join date : 2011-12-23
Age : 30
Location : London, UK

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 02 May 2013, 9:06 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
sodhat wrote:The early to mid-2000s were when I was growing up and getting into a lot of music. I remember it as a great time, and a time when indie was ruling the roost before the inevitable decline came when too many crap bands came around. I'm looking at you, Razorlight.

Strongly agreed.

And as for the 90s, maybe I'm misremembering some great stuff but I meant all music. I am not a fan of Brit Pop

I see your Razorlight and raise you The Kooks.

Bit later in the decade but a ghastly band.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 17786
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by sodhat on Thu 02 May 2013, 9:10 am

I've seen The Kooks live more times than someone who doesn't really like The Kooks should have.

And Keane.


sodhat

Posts : 22236
Join date : 2011-02-28
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Stella on Thu 02 May 2013, 9:13 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Indie Music and Indie Rock. Some great music in the noughties. Better than the 90s anyway

I disagree, although that may be my age showing.

Oasis, Blur, Manics, REM, Radiohead, Suede, Cast, etc

Great music..............for me.
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by sodhat on Thu 02 May 2013, 9:15 am

I love the 90s overall. Stone Roses through Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Oasis, Blur, Suede.

But I think it's just the fact I was 18 in 2006 and the music from that time sticks with me more.

sodhat

Posts : 22236
Join date : 2011-02-28
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by ChequeredJersey on Thu 02 May 2013, 2:05 pm

Stella wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Indie Music and Indie Rock. Some great music in the noughties. Better than the 90s anyway

I disagree, although that may be my age showing.

Oasis, Blur, Manics, REM, Radiohead, Suede, Cast, etc

Great music..............for me.

See, I get Radiohead, though I think they are good not great, and Blur. REM are a bit samey with a few great songs, but Oasis are, IMO, Britain's most overrated band of all time
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Posts : 18707
Join date : 2011-12-23
Age : 30
Location : London, UK

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by kingraf on Thu 02 May 2013, 2:44 pm

Justin Timberklake changed pop music with FutureSex/LoveSounds, one of mu top 10 albums, but it also gave rise to dj becoming mainstream, without FSLS, I doubt Guetta gets as huge as he did.
2006 is generally my favourite year in music, Continuum was released (easily my favourite album), and kanye West released Late Orchestration.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16124
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 25
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Rowley on Thu 02 May 2013, 3:05 pm

kingraf wrote:Justin Timberklake changed pop music with FutureSex/LoveSounds, one of mu top 10 albums, but it also gave rise to dj becoming mainstream, without FSLS, I doubt Guetta gets as huge as he did.

As if I did not already have enough reasons to hate Timberlake.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 46
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by kingraf on Thu 02 May 2013, 3:14 pm

Might not be your cuppa joe, but it was a very good pop album
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16124
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 25
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Stella on Thu 02 May 2013, 3:15 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Stella wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Indie Music and Indie Rock. Some great music in the noughties. Better than the 90s anyway

I disagree, although that may be my age showing.

Oasis, Blur, Manics, REM, Radiohead, Suede, Cast, etc

Great music..............for me.

See, I get Radiohead, though I think they are good not great, and Blur. REM are a bit samey with a few great songs, but Oasis are, IMO, Britain's most overrated band of all time

Possibly are little overrated, as others in that era were just as good or better but were a damn fine band.
Stella
Stella

Posts : 6671
Join date : 2011-08-01

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Il Gialloblu on Thu 02 May 2013, 4:02 pm

Makaveli wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Indie Music and Indie Rock. Some great music in the noughties. Better than the 90s anyway

Up until about 2008 the 00's were not that bad for me, 50 cent when he first came on the scene with get rich and die trying, akon had a good spell, twista, kanye west and nelly all did ok.

Jersey, were you referring to 90s rock music or jus 90's music in general? cus I think over all in terms of music the 90s were the best

Makaveli, old bean. As a rap fan (you, not me), was 50 Cent ever any good, looking back? It's not my cup of gin 'n' juice, the ol' hippety hop, but I can understand why Eminem was so popular. Perhaps the solo star of the '00's, actually? He had something. I didn't care much for it, but it was there. 50 Cent on the other hand, well he just seemed to mumble almost incoherently over some uninspiring music. In my opinion, of course. In Da ('The', jeff) Club was one of the most over-rated songs of the decade, surely?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Posts : 1759
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu 02 May 2013, 4:10 pm

Do you not wanna sip Bacardi like it's ya birthday, Gia?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 17786
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Il Gialloblu on Thu 02 May 2013, 4:18 pm

Not really mate. And 50 Cent must have been hanging around with some pretty cheap slatterns if Bacardi was a birthday treat.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Posts : 1759
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by kingraf on Thu 02 May 2013, 4:21 pm

Il Gialloblu

Eminem was actually announced as artist of the decade MTV, RollingStone, Nielsen and a few others. 50 wasnt bad, then he went up against Kanye West, lost that and went downhill
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16124
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 25
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by sodhat on Thu 02 May 2013, 4:23 pm

I'm no rap afficianado, the closest I've come to rap music would be Rage Against The Machine (another great 90s band, incidentally), Jamie T and The Beastie Boys, but 50 Cent always struck me as a terrible rapper.

As you say, he just sort of mumbled quite slowly.

sodhat

Posts : 22236
Join date : 2011-02-28
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by kingraf on Thu 02 May 2013, 4:34 pm

The Beastie Boys werent particularly great rappers, to use a colloquial term, more Vanilla Ice than Eminem
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Posts : 16124
Join date : 2012-06-06
Age : 25
Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Rowley on Fri 03 May 2013, 7:44 am

sodhat wrote:I'm no rap afficianado,

And rightly so. A frightful racket. Also from a more practical perspective as somone who lives in Rotherham I have more than my fair share of misogny and homophobia every time I talk to my neighbours without enduring it in music.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 46
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by superflyweight on Fri 03 May 2013, 2:21 pm

Rowley wrote:
sodhat wrote:I'm no rap afficianado,

And rightly so. A frightful racket. Also from a more practical perspective as somone who lives in Rotherham I have more than my fair share of misogny and homophobia every time I talk to my neighbours without enduring it in music.

Listening to the wrong stuff, Jeff. The Roots and Public Enemy would, I'm guessing, be right up your political street and both rely on intelligent lyrics rather than glorifying violence, homophobia and misogyny. I defy anyone not to feel like their life has been enhanced after listening to "Harder Thank You Think" by Public Enemy.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Posts : 6293
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : Right here waiting for you

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Fri 03 May 2013, 2:34 pm

superflyweight wrote:I defy anyone not to feel like their life has been enhanced after listening to "Harder Thank You Think" by Public Enemy.

I have heard that song and my life wasn't enhanced at all. What do I win?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 17786
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Guest on Fri 03 May 2013, 2:43 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
superflyweight wrote:I defy anyone not to feel like their life has been enhanced after listening to "Harder Thank You Think" by Public Enemy.

I have heard that song and my life wasn't enhanced at all. What do I win?
Tickets to see Kerry Katona's one woman show where she recounts her life via a talking model vagina and recites her favourite lyrics...essentially it's three and a half hours of her screaming "Mark has not been in this house" "I'm doing this for my kids" and "Chicken Nuggets £1"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Fri 03 May 2013, 2:45 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
superflyweight wrote:I defy anyone not to feel like their life has been enhanced after listening to "Harder Thank You Think" by Public Enemy.

I have heard that song and my life wasn't enhanced at all. What do I win?
Tickets to see Kerry Katona's one woman show where she recounts her life via a talking model vagina and recites her favourite lyrics...essentially it's three and a half hours of her screaming "Mark has not been in this house" "I'm doing this for my kids" and "Chicken Nuggets £1"

Already seen it. Hope there is another prize.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 17786
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Rowley on Fri 03 May 2013, 3:26 pm

superflyweight wrote:

Listening to the wrong stuff, Jeff.

Don't listen to any of it superfly and to be honest now Kris Kross appear unlikely to add anything to their canon I suspect I never will.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Posts : 22053
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 46
Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Guest on Fri 03 May 2013, 3:48 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
superflyweight wrote:I defy anyone not to feel like their life has been enhanced after listening to "Harder Thank You Think" by Public Enemy.

I have heard that song and my life wasn't enhanced at all. What do I win?
Tickets to see Kerry Katona's one woman show where she recounts her life via a talking model vagina and recites her favourite lyrics...essentially it's three and a half hours of her screaming "Mark has not been in this house" "I'm doing this for my kids" and "Chicken Nuggets £1"

Already seen it. Hope there is another prize.
There is, front row seats and backstage passes

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

What Did The 00's Have? Empty Re: What Did The 00's Have?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum