The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A glossary of terms in Boxing

+12
kingraf
eddyfightfan
TRUSSMAN66
Rodney
DoubleD22
Lumbering_Jack
Adam D
azania
compelling and rich
88Chris05
owen10ozzy
JabMachineMK2
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A glossary of terms in Boxing Empty A glossary of terms in Boxing

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:33 am

Shot - A boxer who is completely and utterly devoid of abilities previously shown. Not to be confused with declining. For example - Enzo Macarinelli = shot / Manny Pacquiao = declining

Schooled - 120 - 108 of a one sided TKO/KO victory. Not to be confused with a victory.

Robbed - A clear unmistakable victory for one party with no close rounds and a general consensus among experts and fans alike that a loser should have won. Example: Pacquiao vs Marquez 3, Chisora vs Helenius. Not to be mistaken for a fighter losing you thought should have won just because its your opinion.

Fat - A boxer clearly out of shape. Not to be mistaken for a boxer that is large for his weightclass or has boiled down to a weight class and rehydrated

Chinny - a term used by muppets to describe boxers who have been knocked down.

Boring - a term used by people who don't appreciate the finer art involved in boxing - Wladimir Klitschko being classed as boring is an example.

Declining - a boxer who doesn't have the same skills as in their "prime" (see below) yet still has the qualities that made them as highly esteemed as they are

Nuthugger - Appreciation of your favorite fighter, often coupled with a homosexual reference should the "nuthuggery" continue

Strap - used by people who don't want to use the word title. Inexplicable. Pet hate.

Tomato Can - a boxing term for someone who doesn't fight back, or doesn't deserve to be in the ring with their opponent. Example, "Audley Harrison is a tomato can, whats he doing in with Vitali Klitschko?" not to be confused with people who are very good at what they do. Lee Purdy was recently described as a tomato can on these boards which irritated me greatly.

Bum - a homeless person, not to be confused with anyone who works for a living, like a boxer. Often used by muppets to descibe their least favorite fighters opponents as a derogatory term.

World Class - a boxer who is quite able to travel and face the worlds best. Not to be confused with "World Champion" who is the best of the world class fighters in a given weight class. Example, Carl Froch is world class, yet when he'd lost to Andre Ward he was being described as not being.

Domestic level - a boxer who when is pushed forward beyond the level of fighting in their own country for national titles, will come up short.

Elite - The best of the best. These fighters will be remembered throughout time. Example - Floyd Mayweather. Not to be confused with very good fighters like Adrien Broner who is yet to rise to this level.

Prime - The pinnacle of a boxers abilities and or career.

Feel free to add guys. Just got a bit frustrated with some of the terminology used on these boards and made a list Smile

Dave667 -

HYPE JOB - A fighter who has just fought an out of work doorman in front of 350 people off their faces on Mai Tai's at an outdoor venue in a sh*tty part of Miami on ESPN's Friday Fight Night and thought "Wow, Teddy Atlas has just reached orgasm. Now granted I've only just seen slo-mo highlights of this guy but I'm convinced he can go all the way"

paper champion - guy who holds a belt has defended it a few times but is beaten by arguably the best fight the division has seen for some years and therefore unworthy of any credit.

Eddyfightfan -

granite chin- very very hard to knock out, not be confused with unknockoutable.

journey man- a fighter with a losing record, who has been knocked out fairly few times and can give prospects a tough fight but not likely to win. guys like zage page, friday etc.

gatekeeper- more talent than a journeyman (maybe even a ex-champ) who loses more than he wins at world level but will expose any prospect not at world level. guys like katdsis, glen johnson etc.

paper champion- a world champion who gets gifted a belt and defends it against sub par opposition to avoid losing it. guys like cleverly.

TRUSSMAN -

Contentious - A decision that has people arguing over it but can't be construed as a robbery!!!

Trialhorse - More of an Americanism....For a guy just short of world class who can give an up and comer some real quality tuition and LOSE!!!!!!

Spoiler - Someone adept at neutralising his opponents work.........

Stinker - Pertaining to a fight or fighter who has people running for the exits......

Gas man - An American term for someone who can only fight four or so good rounds before he's knackered.......Bruno would have been the perfect candidate...

Crossroads - A stage in your career where you are teetering on the edge of becoming world class or losing the status of being world class.......

Rolled like a drunk - A way of describing a fighter you don't like..when he gets his head kicked in...

10-1-1 - An affectionate way of saying Manny was a little lucky against Marquez.

Dumbass - An American way of slapping down Brits on a 606 thread and maintaining superiority at all times...

88Chris05 -

Owned: An annoying term aimed at someone who has apparently 'lost' a debate by their supposed conquerer, or by those who have been spectators of the debate (example, Truss has 'owned' me more times than Floyd Mayweather Jr has used the term "the sport of boxing" in interviews).

49-0 (43): The mark of perfection, suggesting the most complete and outstanding Heavyweight ever seen on God's green earth and the standard for all other subsequent fighters to aspire to

Last edited by JabMachineMK2 on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:42 pm; edited 6 times in total

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

A glossary of terms in Boxing Empty Re: A glossary of terms in Boxing

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:44 am

None to add Jab,

Chinny is the one that grates with me the most, for me someone who is chinny simply gets put down by a shot and can not get up, ever! Also if I wanted to be really pedantic surely you can only be called chinny if you go down when taking an actual shot to the chin..

This one is often used to label Khan, who actual as far as I am aware has never been put down when taking one flush to the chin. He is always on jelly legs when he is caught in the temple or round by the ear/neck region.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:49 am

Tomato Can was actually a term used for club fighters who would bleed a lot "like a punctured tomato can" but is now used for anyone who turns up and doesn't take part in a gatti- Ward type thriller

World Class - Adam Smith's opinion of any British fighter currently being interviewed by himself.

Domestic Level - The real position of any British fighter currently being interviewed by Adam Smith

Chinny - A fighter who gets hit flush on the neck, temple or scalp and goes down.

Prime - the peak of a boxer's power's ranging from seven and half minutes (Mike Tyson) to whatever period of time a poster feels best suits their particular argument

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:11 am

Didn't fancy reminding us of what a 'hype job' is then, Dave!?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:26 am

Oh yeah sorry -

HYPE JOB - A fighter who has just fought an out of work doorman in front of 350 people off their faces on Mai Tai's at an outdoor venue in a sh*tty part of Miami on ESPN's Friday Fight Night and thought "Wow, Teddy Atlas has just reached orgasm. Now granted I've only just seen slo-mo highlights of this guy but I'm convinced he can go all the way"

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:33 am

general consensus- the opposite opinion to AZ

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:43 am

compelling and rich wrote:general consensus- the opposite opinion to AZ

warning

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:43 am

Laugh I must admit, if we all started liking Tyson Fury he's be called some very unsavory things by Az, considering the "fat" definition was aimed at his calling someone a "fat" featherweight if such a thing existed....

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:47 am

by JabMachineMK2 Today at 9:33

Robbed - A clear unmistakable victory for one party with no close rounds and a general consensus among experts and fans alike that a loser should have won. Example: Pacquiao vs Marquez 3, Chisora vs Helenius. Not to be mistaken for a fighter losing you thought should have won just because its your opinion.

Not a robbery in my opinion.

Just a close contest between two average fighters.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:50 am

I admit it borders what could constitute an actual robbery - however I saw one clear winner, the critics and fans saw one clear winner and Helenius was gifted the decision despite losing almost every round.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:51 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:

Laugh I must admit, if we all started liking Tyson Fury he's be called some very unsavory things by Az, considering the "fat" definition was aimed at his calling someone a "fat" featherweight if such a thing existed....

Are you suggesting that I deliberately take a contrary point of view? Rolling Eyes

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:52 am

azania wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:

Are you suggesting that I deliberately take a contrary point of view? Rolling Eyes

bears Sh*!ting in woods springs to mind

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:53 am

Wlad is pretty boring. I appreciate his talent but I don't actively go out my way to watch him.

Does this mean I don't know sheet 'bout baxin'?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:54 am

azania wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:

Sorry Az, but it does seem to be a trend you take, I am in admiration at the conviction you have in your arguments and sometimes you manage to twist people in knots, but the Fury thing is old now. Sometimes you're too obvious.

And no LJ - but to label him "boring" is wrong in my eyes. I see him as effective. Plus he has KO power, its just boxers go into their shell against him. I feel his opponents are deserving of more blame than he for the quality of fights you watch. Imagine Lewis vs Wladimir. YOu can't tell me that would be boring, yet both would be seen as "boring" boxers for their jab dependent styles. It'd be a chess match.

Last edited by JabMachineMK2 on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:55 am

Chinny is by far the most misused term on this forum, when a fighter goes down from a great shot and gets back up and has cleared their head they are not chinny. This is boxing people getting knocked down does not mean they are chinny its how they react to being put down and how there body acts once being hit flush.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:58 am

DoubleD22 wrote:Chinny is by far the most misused term on this forum, when a fighter goes down from a great shot and gets back up and has cleared their head they are not chinny. This is boxing people getting knocked down does not mean they are chinny its how they react to being put down and how there body acts once being hit flush.
I think "World Class" is far and away the most overused...a bit the word "legend" in everyday parlance.

"Ladies and gentleman, please give it up for the legend that is, Jeremy Kyle" Now maybe British society had just taken irony to a whole new level but I doubt it very much

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:00 am

Thats a fair enough point it seems you can become a legend for buying your mate a beer these days.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:02 am

DoubleD22 wrote:Thats a fair enough point it seems you can become a legend for buying your mate a beer these days.
One reason why I will NEVER be considered a legend....helps that I don't have any friends.

Got a few imaginary friends though...they're real people, I just imagine they're my friends.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:20 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:
azania wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:

Sorry Az, but it does seem to be a trend you take, I am in admiration at the conviction you have in your arguments and sometimes you manage to twist people in knots, but the Fury thing is old now. Sometimes you're too obvious.

And no LJ - but to label him "boring" is wrong in my eyes. I see him as effective. Plus he has KO power, its just boxers go into their shell against him. I feel his opponents are deserving of more blame than he for the quality of fights you watch. Imagine Lewis vs Wladimir. YOu can't tell me that would be boring, yet both would be seen as "boring" boxers for their jab dependent styles. It'd be a chess match.

Wrong. I have hardly commented on Fury as a boxer. Just because I don't jump on the anti Fury bandwagon doesn't mean I rate him highly as a boxer.

Take his last fight for example. I said he fought the wrong fight. I mentioned that he was too hyped up. I said the fight was exciting and didn't go along with some here who said he won via illegal means by doing what most other boxers do. The point is that Fury gets criticised for whatever he does and that is what I object to. He says he wants to fight for a title. It is what all other boxers worth their salt will say. But Fury gets insulted for it.

He has said many times that what he says he says with his tongue firmly i his cheek. Yet people still take it seriously ad call him deluded. Perhaps he is deluded. But tell me a boxer with world title aspirations who isn't deluded especially in the HW division where there is one clear class boxer and a division of stiffs.

And much of the anti Fury bile is bigoted. You don't call him a "pikey" and "tarmacer" and then claim to be impartial. Should I just laugh at those "jokes" and condone bigotry?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:32 am

I can't remember calling Fury those things.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:39 am

What annoys the bejesus out of me is kids using silly names when describing fighters.

Pactards, Flomo , Calslappy that sort of thing. I thought the term nuthugger on the old site was bad enough but this takes the biscuit.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:41 am

Rodney wrote:What annoys the bejesus out of me is kids using silly names when describing fighters.

Pactards, Flomo , Calslappy that sort of thing. I thought the term nuthugger on the old site was bad enough but this takes the biscuit.

Cheers Rodders

You can add 'Hayeter' to that list as well, Rodney. Although in fairness, Rowley's 'Furosceptic' quip in reference to Mr Fury wasn't too bad.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:45 am

Ha ! Nice one Chris.

To be fair Jeffs always been down with the kidz.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:52 am

Rodney wrote:Ha ! Nice one Chris.

To be fair Jeffs always been down with the kidz.

Cheers Rodders

lol Whistle

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:54 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:I can't remember calling Fury those things.

Not you personally. Many others have and laughed at his heritage.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:56 am

Rodney wrote:What annoys the bejesus out of me is kids using silly names when describing fighters.

Cheers Rodders

Can't stand that term. Usually used by those losing a debate.

I never use it Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:06 pm

Contentious - A decision that has people arguing over it but can't be construed as a robbery!!!

Trialhorse - More of an Americanism....For a guy just short of world class who can give an up and comer some real quality tuition and LOSE!!!!!!

Spoiler - Someone adept at neutralising his opponents work.........

Stinker - Pertaining to a fight or fighter who has people running for the exits......

Gas man - An American term for someone who can only fight four or so good rounds before he's knackered.......Bruno would have been the perfect candidate...

Crossroads - A stage in your career where you are teetering on the edge of becoming world class or losing the status of being world class.......

Rolled like a drunk - A way of describing a fighter you don't like..when he gets his head kicked in...

10-1-1 - An affectionate way of saying Manny was a little lucky against Marquez.

Dumbass - An American way of slapping down Brits on a 606 thread and maintaining superiority at all times...

LESCARGO - A term for a lovable acquaintance...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:09 pm

purely formed on these boards:

blunkett- making a glaringly obvious mistake

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:12 pm

Nuthugger is a great addition...

I can not stand that term and in fact was recently accused of being a Khan one for the simple reason I refused to criticise the way he has got to the top and felt that he doesn't actually get the credit he deserves from a lot of quarters.

Compelling - Was that invented during the good old days of 'SHEEP'!? I am still completely lost during the day without that game. The inventor of it should be banned from this board for simply introducing us to such a wonderful game only to cruelly rip it away from us! You know who you are!!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:17 pm

"Disgust piece of fith, charlatan and conman" - term attributed by unfathomably bitter little posters to a fighter who failed to live up to his own lofty expectations but suggests that there's a far more insidious reason for the HAYE-tred...ie this guy slept with the poster's sister and didn't stick around to see if the poster fancied a cuddle as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:20 pm

Ducker - A term to infer a fighter who has been at the top fifteen years beaten three top 10 p4pers and won countless titles.....Is a lowly coward with no rocks.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:24 pm

Boxing is a sport of over used cliches...

Heart of a lion... Warrior etc....

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:25 pm

modern P4P great - a fighter I've heard of this week and decided that I like. Don't fully understand the term as the fighter I like has only ever fought/been a major success at one weight but I've decided this is enough to include them in the p4p rankings

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:35 pm

49-0 (43): The mark of perfection, suggesting the most complete and outstanding Heavyweight ever seen on God's green earth and the standard for all other subsequent fighters to aspire to.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm

amen brother.......... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:46 pm

granite chin- very very hard to knock out, not be confused with unknockoutable.

journey man- a fighter with a losing record, who has been knocked out fairly few times and can give prospects a tough fight but not likely to win. guys like zage page, friday etc.

gatekeeper- more talent than a journeyman (maybe even a ex-champ) who loses more than he wins at world level but will expose any prospect not at world level. guys like katdsis, glen johnson etc.

paper champion- a world champion who gets gifted a belt and defends it against sub par opposition to avoid losing it. guys like cleverly.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:53 pm

paper champion - guy who holds a belt has defended it a few times but is beaten by arguably the best fight the division has seen for some years and therefore unworthy of any credit.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:57 pm

Owned: An annoying term aimed at someone who has apparently 'lost' a debate by their supposed conquerer, or by those who have been spectators of the debate (example, Truss has 'owned' me more times than Floyd Mayweather Jr has used the term "the sport of boxing" in interviews).
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm

When have I ever used the term owned..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:03 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Nuthugger is a great addition...

I can not stand that term and in fact was recently accused of being a Khan one for the simple reason I refused to criticise the way he has got to the top and felt that he doesn't actually get the credit he deserves from a lot of quarters.

Compelling - Was that invented during the good old days of 'SHEEP'!? I am still completely lost during the day without that game. The inventor of it should be banned from this board for simply introducing us to such a wonderful game only to cruelly rip it away from us! You know who you are!!!

certainly was owen, named after davidblunkettsuppercut and his uncanny ability to miss the obvious answer, i do miss it, many a good shift at work passed by with sheep. is paperbag still alive?

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

Don't think you have personally Truss, just putting the term in to context for everyone!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:32 pm

Shannen Briggs was a very adept gatekeeper. I also have one.

Knowledgeable boxing fan: Any fan who can tell, face beaming that Ali's victory over a crocked Cleveland Williams was a masterclass, his best perfomance, but scoffs at Martinez for cleaning Macklin, Pacquiao for beating Margarito, Klitsckho for beating anyone.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 29 Apr 2013, 2:48 pm

Humble - A word Jim Watt and Glenn McCrory use to describe fighters who clealy aren't. For Example: "Khan is likeable and humble" & "I've spoken to Carl Froch and he is as humble as they come".

Negative - A term (wrongly) used for an outside fighter (often used by Jim Watt) who is able to avoid come forward fighters. EG: "Ricky should have won, Mayweather was to negative".

Warrior - Definition: Anyone Carl Froch faces.

Trenches - Somewhere Carl Froch likes to drag other "warriors", not to be confused with the ones used in World War 1 & 2.

Out on his shield - When a fighter is losing but wishes to finish on his feet and still somehow act suprised when the scores of 120-108 are called out against him.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 2:53 pm

"Gave a good account of himself" see also "Did himself and the Country proud" - Patronising term for a fighter who is hopelessly outmatched but doesn't get annihilated in quite the humiliating fashion people initially thought he would

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 29 Apr 2013, 2:56 pm

DAVE667 wrote:"Gave a good account of himself" see also "Did himself and the Country proud" - Patronising term for a fighter who is hopelessly outmatched but doesn't get annihilated in quite the humiliating fashion people initially thought he would

Rarely used in realtion to Audley Harrison.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 29 Apr 2013, 3:02 pm

petty boy- A fighter who finishes mtches in the exact same facial condition he started.

Heartless- Given to any fighter who loses match for reasons other than getting KOd or decision.

Slick/smooth black fighter- Im not too sure of what this means, but you havent beaten anybody till you beat a slick black fighter
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 3:05 pm

Redemption: Something a formerly unpopular and much-derided fighter gains in the eyes of the boxing public by either a) winning Prizefighter (again), or b) advancing to the second round of 'Strictly Come Dancing.'
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 3:15 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Redemption: Something a formerly unpopular and much-derided fighter gains in the eyes of the boxing public by either a) winning Prizefighter (again), or b) advancing to the second round of 'Strictly Come Dancing.'
Whereas an appearance on "I'm a Celebrity..." renders them a charlatan who is fooling no-one.

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 29 Apr 2013, 3:50 pm

'On the slide' - someone who who looks like they may be 'shot' but might be able to pull out one last defeat before being actually 'shot'.

'Being shot' - something that has unfortunately only happened once to Frank Warren.

'Destiny' - Something that Audley will one day achieve

'Marketable' - A good looking or mouthy boxer, generally both would make them 'very marketable'

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 5:20 pm

"Loved in America" - General term to describe British fighters like.......

a) A complete idiot who clowns around a lot whilst tasting the canvas off a no-name.

b) A no defence fighter who gets hammered but has a smile on his face while he's being hammered..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next