The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Utd's New Man

+29
JPX
compelling and rich
ONETWOFOREVER
RinoGattuso
VDT
MtotheC
Ent
guildfordbat
Dolphin Ziggler
Duty281
lorus59
Good Golly I'm Olly
Colan (niner)
Crimey
The Special Juan
nasisillmatic
Dr Gregory House MD
ncfc_Tooze
westisbest
LivinginItaly
cherriesfna
mystiroakey
TRUSSMAN66
Scrumpy
GSC
kingraf
Kenny
Bull
Stella
33 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Utd's New Man - Page 2 Empty Utd's New Man

Post by Stella Wed 08 May 2013, 8:10 am

First topic message reminder :

IF Sir Alex does finally hang up his hair dryer, who should be the man to replace the legendary Scot?

Jose? - Proven in the EPL and Europe but may jump ship after two - three seasons.

Klopp? - Has formed a very good team at Dortmund but has not managed in the EPL and has a little to prove.

Moyes? - Has made Everton a tough hard working unit, and has Fergie's inner steel qualities but is that enough? Hasn't won a single thing in over 10 years of management.

Anyone else?

Last edited by Stella on Wed 08 May 2013, 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Utd's New Man - Page 2 Empty Re: Utd's New Man

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 08 May 2013, 2:26 pm

Yeah but with Mourinho you're gonna get 2-3 years out of him before he p!sses everybody off and moves on.

If I were a Utd fan I'd want Moyes
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 08 May 2013, 2:29 pm

Olly wrote:Yeah but with Mourinho you're gonna get 2-3 years out of him before he p!sses everybody off and moves on.

If I were a Utd fan I'd want Moyes

You'd want Moyes for hope of long-term security and stability at your club. But what if he's no good? His ability at the top level is untested. If he's no good, whom do you turn to then, with Mourinho probably back at Chelsea?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 08 May 2013, 2:36 pm

The Times are saying Moyes will be named as Ferguson's successor in the next 24 hours.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 May 2013, 2:37 pm

You want 2-3 years of Mourinho where he neglects youth?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 08 May 2013, 2:38 pm

GSC wrote:You want 2-3 years of Mourinho where he neglects youth?

His ability at the top is proven, Moyes' isn't.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 May 2013, 2:39 pm

His ability to burn bridges and **** off saddling you with veterans and no emerging talent is also proven.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 08 May 2013, 2:39 pm

True GSC. Moronho couldn't give a toss about youth (if anyone points out Varane he was in the academy before Moronho arrived I think).

Moyes it is. I'm satisfied.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 May 2013, 2:41 pm

Mourinho only gives a crap about the present because Mourinho won't be around long enough to be in charge of the future.

Varane was good enough to play right away. Anyone who isn't gets buried. Great manager, but I wouldn't hand him the keys to my club if I were United.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Wed 08 May 2013, 2:46 pm

nasisillmatic wrote:
Crimey wrote:I fear for Everton, I think even if Moyes does stay they're facing a tough summer as I can see a lot of clubs swooping around their top players, if Moyes leaves it will only be exasperated.

Who do people think will take the Everton job if Moyes does leave? Mark Hughes? Or has his reputation gone down the pan now? Allardyce maybe?

I think Martinez would be favourite and a good choice, but I wouldn't rule out Neil Lennon & Mackay.

I'm sure Celtic fans would disagree with me, but that would be a horrific appointment IMO.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 08 May 2013, 2:58 pm

Of course, we must remember this happened before:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/1338641.stm

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Wed 08 May 2013, 3:04 pm

I know.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 08 May 2013, 3:26 pm

It'll be Moyes. I'm happy for him too, English clubs used to promote managers through accomplishments within, now they look abroad straight away. I think Moyes will respect a working partnership with Fergie upstairs too. Only other options for me were Klopp or Solskjaer. Both could be future United managers. Interesting to see how United's manager culture changes now. Does one bad season see the new man gone?

Martinez or Redknapp for Everton.

Sad announcement for me. Ever since I've understood football Ferguson's teams have been entertaining and winning. I loved Robson then Ince then Keane and grew up with the kids you'd win nothing with.

Least we might win at Old Trafford now, no way Sam would beat a Fergie side under us

Last edited by chris.wilkerson13 on Wed 08 May 2013, 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 08 May 2013, 3:27 pm

First off - neat title for the thread, Stella. clap

As one of the eldest contributors here, please allow me to flag a problem from United's past which might just resurface next season and say that I hope all are better prepared now.

I actually remember when Sir Matt Busby finally* chose to retire as United's manager more than forty years ago. He was replaced by Leicester City's Frank O'Farell. O'Farell was a decent, hard working manager with a solid but unspectacular record. A little bit like one of the candidates today perhaps.

Anyway, also like Sir Alex Feruson will do very shortly as we are told, Busby didn't walk away from the club when he ceased to be manager but joined the Board. This - or rather Busby's continued presence at Old Trafford - caused O'Farrell considerable problems. The press (miniscule in comparison to today) always wanted Busby's take on things, particularly when they weren't going well. Players left out of the team would seek Busby out to voice their concerns behind the new manager's back. When results started to go against the team, supporters would call for Busby's return.

Cutting a long story short, O'Farrell ended up being sacked after eighteen months with three and a half years left on his contract. That of cause may still have happened if Busby had not been on site but O'Farrell definitely considered it a hindrance.

As for today, it's entirely understandable that the club still want to benefit from Ferguson's experience and reputation. It's also understandable that he still wishes to contribute. However, I do believe all involved (the Board, the new manager and Ferguson himself) will need to give careful thought as to how things are to proceed if the problems of the past are not to be repeated.

* Busby did in fact initially retire two years earlier. He was then replaced by reserve team coach Wilf McGuinness. This proved unsuccessful and Busby returned to manage United until O'Farrell's appointment.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 May 2013, 3:28 pm

I don't think SAF will be very hands on at all really. I think its more ceremonial, he'll know the new managers job will be impossible enough without him treading on his toes.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 08 May 2013, 3:34 pm

I must say I have no interest in moyes, rather have an internal appointment or someone with a link to the club. Would you respect or be keen to sign for a united man with fergie hovering about or moyes on his own?

If fergie has ear marked him then fair enough.

Jose would do for a few years under strict conditions but he'd never take the job under these conditions.

Then you have a guy who can smooth the transition to the next long term manager whilst winning a few things.

We might win some stuff anyway over the next few years but I can see the success tailing off- it's been a great ride.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 May 2013, 3:36 pm

I'm pretty sure Moyes is the guy SAF earmarked to take over.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 08 May 2013, 3:41 pm

GSC wrote:I'm pretty sure Moyes is the guy SAF earmarked to take over.

Then he'll begrudgingly get my support for a few years (minimum 3), but I'd be really very worried.

Just read he hasn't won at a big 4 ground in 11 years or in 44 attempts.

Pretty shocking that, can anyone confirm it.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 May 2013, 3:42 pm

He hasn't. At the same time he hasn't had a better team than those at any point.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 08 May 2013, 3:45 pm

GSC wrote:He hasn't. At the same time he hasn't had a better team than those at any point.

That's the point in having a good manager?

Get big performances out of the team.

We are likely to have a weaker squad than at least 2 local and multiple European rivals next season.

Shall we be happy with 3rd and cl 1/4s - are we going to turn into arsenal...

Fingers crossed this all works out but I don't think it will.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 May 2013, 3:49 pm

Thats an unfair stat to pick out.

What Moyes has done with that team is nothing short of brilliant. Getting them into a champions league position (only to be screwed by the ref) is an acheivement in itself.

I wholeheartedly back this appointment (if it is indeed him). Means we won't have the circus that is Mourinho, he can spot the potential in his youth players (anichebe aside), plus it could likely lead to United getting a man they've persued for the past couple of years - Leighton Baines

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 08 May 2013, 3:53 pm

He's done alright at Everton, came 4th once and got to an fa cup final in 11 years. Had some very good players at times to.

I don't think I'd mention Baines as a plus, everton will want to keep him and avoid losing important players after losing their manager.

I mean anyone could sign Baines for united for the right price.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 08 May 2013, 3:56 pm

Ent man I get that its a sad day for Utd fans but saying you can see you becoming the Arsenal is a bit silly.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 08 May 2013, 3:58 pm

Olly wrote:Ent man I get that its a sad day for Utd fans but saying you can see you becoming the Arsenal is a bit silly.

Just replying to the logic that it is ok to not overachieve in football.

I wouldn't be surprised if we turned into arsenal post fergie, always been worries about it.

You don't know what you have until it's gone, I think results will reflect that.

Hope I'm wrong.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 08 May 2013, 3:59 pm

Can i ask a serious question to everyone but mostly to Man Utd fans ( and this is not a wum just question about the state of football in general )

Do you think whoever takes over at Man Utd will in this modern era be given time to get things right if they don't come in and win the league or a cup straight away ?

I know Utd aren't usually that type of club but football has changed in the past 5 - 10 years with more owners wanting instant success .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Wed 08 May 2013, 4:01 pm

No we need Klop not Moyes though would take him over Mournego

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 08 May 2013, 4:03 pm

Yes he will get 3-5 years as long as there no disasterous seasons where we miss out on cl etc.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 08 May 2013, 4:05 pm

[quote="Ent"]He's done alright at Everton, came 4th once and got to an fa cup final in 11 years. Had some very good players at times to.

I don't think I'd mention Baines as a plus, everton will want to keep him and avoid losing important players after losing their manager.

I mean anyone could sign Baines for united for the right price.[/quote]

We could do with Baines(not that he would come to us, even for the 'right price').

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 08 May 2013, 4:07 pm

[quote="westisbest"]
Ent wrote:He's done alright at Everton, came 4th once and got to an fa cup final in 11 years. Had some very good players at times to.

I mean anyone could sign Baines for united for the right price.[/quote]

We could do with Baines(not that he would come to us, even for the 'right price').

That's why I said to united for the right price.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 May 2013, 4:18 pm

Kenny wrote:Can i ask a serious question to everyone but mostly to Man Utd fans ( and this is not a wum just question about the state of football in general )

Do you think whoever takes over at Man Utd will in this modern era be given time to get things right if they don't come in and win the league or a cup straight away ?

I know Utd aren't usually that type of club but football has changed in the past 5 - 10 years with more owners wanting instant success .

Agree with Ent. I think whoever comes in will be given the time and would only face sack if it went disastrous one season and like Ent said we missed out on Europe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 08 May 2013, 4:22 pm

United will demand instant success, unfortunately. Ferguson had time when he first went to Man United as they hadn't won a trophy since the 70s and there was little pressure to immediately win trophies. For his successor, he'll have a legion of glory hunters to satisfy, the eyes of the world's media, and have to follow up the greatest British football manager in history. Tough ask.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Wed 08 May 2013, 4:23 pm

Moyes would be a good choice, is he best choice no. Moyes has worked wonders at Everton on a limited budget and playing squad but surely the next manager of Manchester United needs to have a superior CV than Moyes? This is utd we are talking about and times have changed significantly in football since the era of when ferguson was appointed. City are the most legitimate threat Utd have ever faced to their long term dominance and they can't afford to get this appointment wrong, that's why I believe Jose will get the nod, is it coincidence that Jose is becoming available in the summer and at the same time ferguson calls time on his utd tenure? I think not.

I understand utd fans worries about Jose's ability to stick around longer than a few years or concentrate more on the present than the future but IMO he's exactly what utd need right now, the right man at the right time, football isn't the same anymore and there will never be another Fergie or 26 year management reign. Maybe Moyes is the next but one manager of utd.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 08 May 2013, 4:25 pm

Doesn't 'Arry Redknapp have a superior CV to Moyes, and greater experience in the Champions League as a manager? #redknappforunited Whistle

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 08 May 2013, 4:31 pm

lets be honest fergie has probally picked his own replacement!

make no mistake. Fergie will still be heavily involved in united..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 08 May 2013, 4:34 pm

I think Fergie will "remind" the club that he was given plenty of time to get things running smoothly but then again Utd were in a worse state then than they are now. I think Fergie will have a very backseat role; he knows what he's doing and won't want to ruin it for Moyes at all.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 08 May 2013, 4:38 pm

so you dont think fergie has a say in his replacement??

i would put money on the fact that he picked him.

He wont undermine moyes in his role- but he will be involved in players coming in and maybe explaining a bit about his pet love- squad rotation!! he plans these things months in advance about who will play when!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 08 May 2013, 4:42 pm

The thing that worries me for who ever takes over is that it's not the same ownership now as to when Sir Alex started .

I see people think whoever will be given 3 - 5 years , but what happens if Utd finish 2nd 3rd or 4th for the next couple of seasons and don't win a cup ? after all the success will Champions league qualification be enough ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 08 May 2013, 4:44 pm

Just taken a visit to redcafe, the most popular Man United forum I believe. Amongst them, Moyes is 3rd choice, Klopp is 2nd, and Mourinho is the most desired.

http://www.redcafe.net/f6/your-preference-next-manager-370323/

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Wed 08 May 2013, 4:44 pm

First Thatcher dies, then Ferguson retires.

Somewhere, there is a Scouser with a lamp and one wish left
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 08 May 2013, 4:46 pm

Not suprised by that at all duty.

i honestly think moyes is coming in due to the fact that fergie will be able to step in and give advice sometimes. the other two managers wouldnt want him anywhere near him as they have two much pride..

anyway its tuff isnt it. because moyes has the job!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 08 May 2013, 4:49 pm

VDT good one but the 3rd wish is granted.,

Everton lose there manager!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 08 May 2013, 4:49 pm

Duty281 wrote:Doesn't 'Arry Redknapp have a superior CV to Moyes, and greater experience in the Champions League as a manager? #redknappforunited Whistle

On a game of Football Manager 2010, Fergie retired after a year, Redknapp took over and retired after a year. Could fantasy become reality? idea

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Wed 08 May 2013, 4:52 pm

VDT wrote:First Thatcher dies, then Ferguson retires.

Laugh

That's going to be my Facebook status!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 08 May 2013, 4:53 pm

Kenny wrote:The thing that worries me for who ever takes over is that it's not the same ownership now as to when Sir Alex started .

I see people think whoever will be given 3 - 5 years , but what happens if Utd finish 2nd 3rd or 4th for the next couple of seasons and don't win a cup ? after all the success will Champions league qualification be enough ?

Providing there are signs of progress, if the club is dropping slowly, not playing well and the squad is diminishing in quality he would go.

All depends on circumstances.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 08 May 2013, 5:03 pm

VDT wrote:First Thatcher dies, then Ferguson retires.

And a wife who thinks her new shell suit is the reason their sex life has suddenly improved

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Wed 08 May 2013, 5:24 pm

Give the job to Giggs & Scholes.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 08 May 2013, 6:20 pm

First Maggie Thatcher dying and now Fergie retiring????

Theres a scouser with a brass lamp somewhere with 1 wish left.

I like that 1.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 08 May 2013, 6:27 pm

Just want to add a personal tribute as MUFC fan.

SAF has been in charge since I started supporting United in the 80's. I can't remember much back then but remember the likes of Hughes, Mclair, Wallace, Parker, Robson, and many more. Great memories of going to school and defending my team when I was surrounded by glory hunting Liverpool fans and Arsnal fans.

Over the years I have been lucky to witness my team win everything to be won and I mean lucky some supporters will never see their team win anything in their lifetime and I am no glory hunter.

Thanks SAF and all the best but I have a feeling that if the new manager does not produce then Fergie will again take over.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 08 May 2013, 6:47 pm

Nice tribute Smile The Guardian have a good one up too.

I don't think it will really hit me until either Sunday when he makes a speech or the first match of the season.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 08 May 2013, 6:49 pm

not really interested in moyes, he hasn't won anything in his career, never managed a club the size of united, doubt his personality is going to attract any super stars (anybody see ronaldo coming back to united while he's in charge), no European pedigree. just think its united board thinking moyes is like Ferguson (scottish, hard working etc etc) lets hire him when really were never going to get a manger like fergie ever again.

if he's hired i will back him and support him, im fairly rational and understand that this team isnt the best we've had, more fergie getting the best out of an average squad (swap united and citys managers around and who would have won the league this season??) but will other fans see it as such?? as soon as we hit any rocky patch moyes doesn't have the cv to back him up and all the above questions will get aired by a large majority of fans who have been used to being so successful. at least mourinho had the cv and attitude to take the job on, if not ex united player like ole would get more time and backing if we go through a poor patch (he's also won more than moyes already!!!)

the one good thing is that moyes might get the ridiculously over paid average rooney out of the club!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 08 May 2013, 6:51 pm

Kenny wrote:The thing that worries me for who ever takes over is that it's not the same ownership now as to when Sir Alex started .

no, any half decent manager with the backing of united resources and squad should challenge for the title, anything less and they are not good enough for the role.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next