The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the best English player to ever grace the Premier League?

+13
kingraf
Nakatomi Plaza
kwinigolfer
Dolphin Ziggler
VDT
Hero
dummy_half
Stella
Ent
Good Golly I'm Olly
Crimey
Duty281
NickisBHAFC
17 posters

Go down

Who is the best English player to ever grace the Premier League? Empty Who is the best English player to ever grace the Premier League?

Post by Guest Sat 11 May 2013, 6:36 pm

Simple really. Who, in your opinion has been the greatest ever English player to have graced our great league.

Is it Alan Shearer? Record PL goal getter and Newcastle United's record scorer and club legend.

Steven Gerrard perhaps? The driving force behind a Liverpool side for the past decade and arguably the best player not to have won the big one.

Frank Lampard? Now Chelsea's record notcher. Over 200 club goals from midfield is simply staggering. Top, top player who deserves a new contract.

Paul Scholes? A joy to behold on his day who could have lined up in any team in world football during his pomp, Barca included.

Wayne Rooney? Burst onto the scene as a teenager and enjoyed vast success at Man Utd. Scorer of some great goals but possibly peaked already?

Ashley Cole? Possibly the best left back in the game for the best part of a decade and still going strong.

Rio Ferdinand? Fine footballer and England's best centre back since the great Bobby Moore. About to complete another fine season.

I'd say these are the usual suspects though feel free to name anymore. I've probably missed an obvious one knowing me!

Cheers guys.

Back to top Go down

Who is the best English player to ever grace the Premier League? Empty Re: Who is the best English player to ever grace the Premier League?

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 11 May 2013, 6:37 pm

Scholes or Beckham.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Who is the best English player to ever grace the Premier League? Empty Re: Who is the best English player to ever grace the Premier League?

Post by Duty281 Sat 11 May 2013, 7:29 pm

An all-English XI in the Premier League, of all time, in a traditional 4-4-2 shape:

Seaman, Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, ???, Shearer, Cole.

Can't think of a left-winger in truth. Best Englishman of all time in the PL, for my money, is Ashley Cole.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 May 2013, 7:31 pm

Duty281 wrote:An all-English XI in the Premier League, of all time, in a traditional 4-4-2 shape:

Seaman, Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, ???, Shearer, Cole.

Can't think of a left-winger in truth. Best Englishman of all time in the PL, for my money, is Ashley Cole.

Why Cole Duty? Because of his goals tally?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 11 May 2013, 7:44 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Duty281 wrote:An all-English XI in the Premier League, of all time, in a traditional 4-4-2 shape:

Yeah goals tally. Wouldn't say Rooney is better, and Owen's longevity isn't enough.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 May 2013, 7:46 pm

Duty281 wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

Yeah goals tally. Wouldn't say Rooney is better, and Owen's longevity isn't enough.

Interesting one Duty. I'd have put Fowler ahead of Cole myself but maybe I'm biased!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 May 2013, 7:47 pm

I'd go for:

Seaman

Neville
Ferdinand
Campbell
Cole

Beckham
Scholes
Gerrard

Fowler
Shearer
Owen

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 May 2013, 7:53 pm

Okay mine:

Seaman

Neville
Adams
Ferdinand
Cole

Wise
Gerrard
Lampard
Scholes

Fowler
Shearer

BENCH:
Owen
Terry
Woodgate
Beckham
James

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 11 May 2013, 8:10 pm

Grant Holt. No contest Ok!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 May 2013, 8:12 pm

Olly wrote:Grant Holt. No contest Ok!

And Chris Sutton just missed my bench Olly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 11 May 2013, 8:31 pm

Scholes, easy.

Seaman
Neville Ferdinand Adams cole
Beckham scholes ince Rooney
Shearer cole

Left wing is hard to pick, not many great options but Rooney has played well there a good few times for united so I'd pick him, happy to be corrected though.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 13 May 2013, 9:11 am

Seaman

Neville
Rio
Terry
Cole

Beckham
Scholes
Gerrard
Lampard

Shearer
Rooney
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 13 May 2013, 9:31 am

Seriously, probably the best (or at least 'least worst') English left winger in EPL history would be one of:
Lee Sharpe
Stuart Downing
Matthew Etherington

I see most of you here are trying to do what England coaches have been doing since the retirement of Barnes and Waddle - pick a better player out of their preferred position to try and balance the side.

I'd say Shearer was the best - before his injuries had pace and mobility and the ability to score from outside the area, and after injuries robbed him of his pace he got stronger and became a very effective power centre forward. The big thing though was than he scored goals throughout his career playing in a variety of teams and while the focal point for opposing defenders.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 13 May 2013, 9:40 am

This is fictional though :-))))
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 13 May 2013, 11:03 am

If you had to pick one of Scholes/Lampard/Gerrard who would you go for?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 13 May 2013, 11:10 am

Gerrard for me was/is the better allround player, as he can tackle, score, pass, and did have a great engine.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 13 May 2013, 12:10 pm

Stella wrote:Seaman

Neville
Rio
Terry
Cole

Beckham
Scholes
Gerrard
Lampard

Shearer
Rooney

The funny thing is, 8 of that XI played at Euro 2004, and we still couldn't win it!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 13 May 2013, 12:11 pm

Duty281 wrote:

Neville
Rio
Terry
Cole

Beckham
Scholes
Gerrard
Lampard

Shearer
Rooney

The funny thing is, 8 of that XI played at Euro 2004, and we still couldn't win it!

James was in goal though Wink
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 13 May 2013, 12:12 pm

Stella wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Neville
Rio
Terry
Cole

Beckham
Scholes
Gerrard
Lampard

Shearer
Rooney

And Urs Meier was the ref!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Mon 13 May 2013, 12:14 pm

dummy_half wrote:Seriously, probably the best (or at least 'least worst') English left winger in EPL history would be one of:
Lee Sharpe
Stuart Downing
Matthew Etherington

I see most of you here are trying to do what England coaches have been doing since the retirement of Barnes and Waddle - pick a better player out of their preferred position to try and balance the side.

I'd say Shearer was the best - before his injuries had pace and mobility and the ability to score from outside the area, and after injuries robbed him of his pace he got stronger and became a very effective power centre forward. The big thing though was than he scored goals throughout his career playing in a variety of teams and while the focal point for opposing defenders.

Jason Wilcox thumbsup not many english left winger who've won the premiership

Steve McManamanamanaman played left winger sometimes
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 13 May 2013, 12:15 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Stella wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Neville
Rio
Terry
Cole

Beckham
Scholes
Gerrard
Lampard

Shearer
Rooney

And Urs Meier was the ref!

Rooney breaking a bone in his foot didn't help. I reckon we may have won the tournament if he had stayed fit.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 13 May 2013, 12:42 pm

VDT wrote:
dummy_half wrote:Seriously, probably the best (or at least 'least worst') English left winger in EPL history would be one of:
Lee Sharpe
Stuart Downing
Matthew Etherington

Jason Wilcox thumbsup not many english left winger who've won the premiership

Steve McManamanamanaman played left winger sometimes

Wilcox would be another at the same sort of level as Downing or Etherington - good club pro but not someone who really struck fear into the heart of opposing fullbacks. Sharpe was more a case of unfulfilled potential, because of injuries and off-field issues.

Shaggy Mcmanamanamanaman playing on the left is another example of a square peg in a round hole, although he was quite effective coming back inside on his right foot. Always preferred him on the right though.

Pity that England schoolboys captain Ryan Wilson had such a strong affinity for his Welsh birthplace, parents and grandparents despite living around Manchester from being 6 years old that he changed his name back to Giggs. It is usually stated that he was not elligible to play for England, which is factually correct with regard to birthplace and nationality, but in theory he could have qualified by residency (although interestingly the FIFA qualifications require 5 years residency after the age of 18 and do not take into account that by that time he'd spent twice as long in England as in Wales - would have made him elligible for England on his 23rd birthday if he had not played for Wales in the interim).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 13 May 2013, 12:47 pm

Joe Cole was as good as anybody on the left for England, since 1992.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 13 May 2013, 12:52 pm

Lee Sharpe
Stuart Downing
Matthew Etherington

Joe Cole possibly?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 13 May 2013, 3:22 pm

The thing with Joey is that defining his position is difficult.

Scholes wins this. What a player. Are you basing your teams on how they performed in the premier or did they just have to play Prem football? Bryan Robson did win 2 prem medals.

Trevor Sinclair is better than most of the left wingers listed so far too! Sheringham deserves a place in any of these selections.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 13 May 2013, 4:10 pm

Darren Anderton on the left? He was an excellent crosser.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 13 May 2013, 4:38 pm

Best left-sided player in England the past 20 years is Leighton Baines.
Pick him at left-back (Cole only any good when he tries which is nowhere near often enough); he's the best English-born crosser of the ball since Beckham, is a threat from free-kicks, etc etc.

Seaman
Neville
Ferdinand
Campbell
Baines
Beckham
Gerrard
Lampard
Rooney
Owen
Shearer

subs: Glen Johnson, Jagielka (fill-in goalie if necessary), Adams, Barry (the AV version), Scholes, Fowler.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 13 May 2013, 5:27 pm

Im going to have to argue with Johnson, Jagielka, Barry and Baines.

Baines - Not better than Cole and has not stood up to any similar tests. I'd also have Winterburn over him currently. Needs to prove more, however good he is. There are few English players who will make it as the best in the world in their position during their careers but Ashley Cole may well have.

Johnson - A player who necessitates England play Milner on the right to cover for Glen's defensive deficiencies. Another Arsenal stalwart, Dixon, is a far better choice.

Jagielka - Limited defender. Bruce, Pallister, Terry, Keown, King, Carrager even Southgate all better.

Barry - Carrick, Butt, Ince are just three quick names who are offended by that notion

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 May 2013, 6:19 pm

chris.wilkerson13 wrote:

Barry - Carrick, Butt, Ince are just three quick names who are offended by that notion

And Tim Sherwood. Excellent player in his day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Mon 13 May 2013, 6:23 pm

My best XI would be

Seaman
G Neville
Adams
Ferdinand
Cole
Beckham
Scholes
Gerrard
Waddle
Shearer
Le Tissier

Cheating a little bit, having Waddle on the left wing, but he was class for Wednesday in the early 90's

Just for fun, my second choice XI would be

Hart
Dixon
Terry
Campbell
Pearce
Anderton
Lampard
Ince
McManaman
Rooney
Wright

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 May 2013, 6:26 pm

I'm sure Waddle was Player of the Year in 93?

Great shout.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 13 May 2013, 6:56 pm

I rate Lampard above Gerrard. He was once second in Fifa POTY. His 2009/2010 was as dominant as any English player has played 22 goals 17 assists. As I said on a different thread the goals he set up vs Barcelona were brilliant, showed incredible speed of thought as well as the skill to actually do it.

His created more goals, and scored more goals than Gerrard. Even this season, with limited appearances he has out shone him (though I accept SG had inferior help) . Lamps is Chelseas top scorer for the season 15 goals in 28 appearances, says it all for me.

The Scholes comparison is a little different, because they are very different footballers. Lamoard is all driving runs and freaky timing and placement. Scholes is "pass 50-yards to a penny". A bit of a Xavi vs Iniesta debate.

Joe Cole may have been the most talented Englishman to grace the EPL, pace, skill, two-footed. Relatively strong. Its a pity Chelsea had no actual use for him.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 May 2013, 7:02 pm

I always wondered what would have become of Joe Cole had he joined Man Utd as a youngster.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 13 May 2013, 7:10 pm

I don't think Lampard has outshone Gerrard for this year at all, I think Gerrard has had a fantastic year and Lampard closing in on the record and contract running out has put a lot of attention on him this season, but he hasn't been that great, he's scored goals, but quite a few have been penalties. I think Gerrard has been one of the best central midfielders over this year, he's developed his game in a way Lampard has failed to do by becoming a deeper midfielder. Lampard plays deeper, but is too eager to always get forward, Gerrard surprisingly has become quite a disciplined player.

Overall I'd say it's been closer over the years, but Gerrard has edged it for me. The things he has done for Liverpool I don't think Lampard ever would be able to. Lampard during his peak years was surrounding by world class talent, Gerrard hasn't always had that luxury and yet has looked world class nonetheless. I think he's been a better player for England as well. Lampard is a good player, but Gerrard is a player that we'll struggle to ever see any like again.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 May 2013, 7:15 pm

I don't think either Gerrard or Lampard have pulled up any trees playing for England.

Paul Scholes 1997-2002 outshone both players in an England shirt.

The best and most consistent player for England for the last decade has been Ashley Cole. By some margin too in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 13 May 2013, 7:20 pm

While it isn't that huge of an achievement, I think Gerrard has been England's best player at the last two major tournaments.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 13 May 2013, 7:32 pm

Can't understand the love for Ashley Cole, especially for England. He's had a few very good games, but looks like he's sleepwalking through many others.
Often an attacking threat, but never an attacking force, final delivery usually poor.
Immense talent, wasted on an even bigger ego.

Ray Wilson clearly the best England left back of the past fifty years. (Which I know this is not about.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 13 May 2013, 8:20 pm

Steve McManaman for me. Reason is simple, he was just the sort of player I love to watch, he could do it all; mazy runs, killer balls, score any kind of goal, just top in all aspects of the game. Very similar to Giggs.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 13 May 2013, 8:23 pm

But terribly inconsistent. Very talented though.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 13 May 2013, 8:27 pm

Stella wrote:But terribly inconsistent. Very talented though.
Really? I thought he was one of the most consistent players around at the time.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 13 May 2013, 8:31 pm

Very perceptive commentator for ESPN also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 13 May 2013, 8:34 pm

I wondered what he was doing with himself now!

BTW, I note a lot of rave reviews about his 'distant relative' Callum.......not half as talented as Steve, which speaks volumes.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 13 May 2013, 9:27 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Can't understand the love for Ashley Cole, especially for England. He's had a few very good games, but looks like he's sleepwalking through many others.
Often an attacking threat, but never an attacking force, final delivery usually poor.
Immense talent, wasted on an even bigger ego.

Ray Wilson clearly the best England left back of the past fifty years. (Which I know this is not about.)

Are we forgetting he's a defender, first and foremost? Ronaldo in his back pocket for 240 minutes in 2004 and 2006.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 13 May 2013, 11:00 pm

I'm not, you might be.
But my comments were in the context of saying Leighton Baines is the best English LB of the Prem era.
Yes he might need cover, but what do you think Terry has been offering Cole all these years?
And you don't get anything extra from Cole, just a whiny, surly, entitled pr1ck.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 13 May 2013, 11:06 pm

Ashley Cole has been England's best defender for the past 10 years.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 May 2013, 11:12 pm

He may be an utter twonk of the highest order.

But Cole is one hell of a footballer. The only consistently world class one we've had for 10 years
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 14 May 2013, 7:18 pm

best english player ever is scholes, my team would be

seaman
g.neville
rio
terry
ashley cole
beckham
scholes
gerrard
baines
shearer
owen

bench
hart
adams
sol campbell
lampard
j.cole (simply for his ability to play few postions)
teddy
rooney

bit cheating but think a combo of ashley cole and baines exchanging positions to get forward gives more balance than forcing someone like gerrard out wide. both at least natural left footers

owen may have peaked early but was awesome at his peak. world player of the year

think its abit cheating to put players who only just made the prem or was past there best, if that was the case i could put a gazza in and it would look a good pick untill you see the only gazza that played in the prem was the boro and everton version

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 14 May 2013, 9:18 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I'm not, you might be.
But my comments were in the context of saying Leighton Baines is the best English LB of the Prem era.
Yes he might need cover, but what do you think Terry has been offering Cole all these years?
And you don't get anything extra from Cole, just a whiny, surly, entitled pr1ck.

Best LB in the World since 2004. Not sure why anyone would care about his attacking ability, it's just a bonus at the end of the day.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 14 May 2013, 9:22 pm

Tempted to say Cole, best lb in the world year after year

But I'd have to say Lamps

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 14 May 2013, 9:28 pm

Shearer, although I am a Newcastle fan.

He has a record which is not going to be beaten anytime soon and he played for a mediocre Newcastle team for many of his years here. If he had joined man utd when offered he'd probably be one of the most decorated English players in the modern game.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down