The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commercial Bank Qatar Masters - Doha

+2
McLaren
Davie
6 posters

Go down

Commercial Bank Qatar Masters - Doha Empty Commercial Bank Qatar Masters - Doha

Post by Davie Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:35 am

Waiting for the Sky coverage to start but looking at the early leaderboard, it seems like the course is playing tough.

At the moment, 5 players leading on -2 though it's still early days yet.

Early strugglers seem to be Westwood on +2 and Poulter and Stricker on +3.

Long way to go yet though

Last edited by Davie on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

Davie

Back to top Go down

Commercial Bank Qatar Masters - Doha Empty Re: Commercial Bank Qatar Masters - Doha

Post by Davie Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:24 am

Coverage started now and it's very windy which probably goes to explain the scoring. Windy enough to disrupt the TV coverage

Davie

Back to top Go down

Commercial Bank Qatar Masters - Doha Empty Re: Commercial Bank Qatar Masters - Doha

Post by Davie Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:28 pm

The later starters are out there now and seem to be really struggling.

Of the early starters, Goosen is sitting pretty in the clubhouse at -3 with a handful on -2. Poults made it back to level by the end of his round and the likes of Westwood, Garcia in at +1

Of the later starters, only Seve Benson and Thomas Aitken showing any sort of score at the moment; Kaymer and MA-J down at +1 and Casey at +4

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Anyway this thread could be moved to the main topic, but as a sticky. Then get rid of tournament sub section and make the two events each week a sticky. or more if we want to include seniors and lpga?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Yeah I'd be happier with it that way too. When we went back to a "flat" forum with only one subcategory, I don't know why this one was left. I can move the tourney threads up to the top level and "stick" the current ones. One of the admins will have to delete the empty subforum though

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Good stuff davie, i think we need to keep this place as simple as possible. That seems to be what people liked about 606.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:49 pm

Anyone got a link to a stream for this. Nothing working on myp2p.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:05 pm

all rounds finished maybe thats why.

Not to sound bitter or unkind but i was happy to see a kayner 77 today. Would much prefer to see Westwood stay number one.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:18 pm

More importantly it doesn't look like Mr W is going to get a W anytime in the near future so the other Mr W has a good chance to remain number 1 and consolidate his positions with a good few W's.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 am

The field was really blown away yesterday and it seemed most were struggling at certain times. Although the scoring was moderate and the likes of MK/LW posted less than average scores, I suspect many of us playing in that wind would have been massacred out there, so fair play. It seems today is going to be another struggle for some although not due to be as bad. Was it a 2 or 3 club wind ??

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 am

Doc, someone yesterday (I think it was Goosen) was quoted as saying it was a FOUR club wind!

Still windy today but much more manageable it seems. The Sky commentators this morning were saying this was a wind the players could work with rather than battle against. Scoring seems to be 3 or 4 shots better today on average.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:57 am

Been watching a Lot of the golf this morning both before and whilst at work thumbsup

The fact the wind is no longer a 4 club wind is having huge impact on the cut line and scores today, they reckon will be around the +4mark.

Scores look on averag between 3-6 shots better for most players today e.g Quiros 75-69, Paul Lawrie even better 74-66

But pick of the day so far improvement wise on his first round score, an imporvement of 11 shots Felip Aguilar 77-66!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:29 am

While Aguilars round is impressive of being 11 shots better in that his first was +5 and his 2nd -6

Johan Edfors has the biggest stroke difference in his 2 rounds of 13: 80-67
Just enough to make it inside the cutline, how he must rue that opening day wind

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:49 am

Looks like LW is going to have the weekend off. Not been in great form this year, hope he picks up soon.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:02 pm

SmithersJones wrote:Looks like LW is going to have the weekend off. Not been in great form this year, hope he picks up soon.

Yes absolutely - otherwise it will give fuel to those who said he wasn't a worthy no. 1 - when clearly he was!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Big swing a few moments ago when Poulter who was starting to look threatening taking double bogey at the 12th while Goosen parred it to take outright lead on -7

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Higly possible all the worlds top 10 players that are in Doha this week could miss the cut:

Cutline currently predicted at +3 yet may move upto +2 depending on the late starters and fact lead could be at -8 by end of the day there saying due to more sedate conditions and imporved scorng as the day progresses:

So at the moment at +3 Kaymer is borderline

Stricker +4 with 9 to play
Westwood +5 with 9 to play

Casey has missed the cutline already at +5 and in the clubhouse

so i think anyone questioning Lee's integrity as Number 1 needs to seriously look at the players contending top 10 OGWR spots and realise he isn't doing as bad as they may they are making out

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:39 pm

I feel I ought to qualify my last post by stressing that I've never questioned the validity of Lee's No.1 ranking. I desperately want him to retain that and kick on to win a few majors to silence the muppets - hence the concern over his current form.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:03 pm

SJ

No need for clarity, I understood your point and that is why I too stuck up for Lee as like you I feel he can solidfy his position at the top this year

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:12 pm

Maverick wrote:SJ

No need for clarity, I understood your point and that is why I too stuck up for Lee as like you I feel he can solidfy his position at the top this year

Cheers Mav thumbsup
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:24 pm

For most players world number one may be a peak. For lee to get there and still have another level to reach shows how good he could become.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Ok so the axe has fallen and the CUT has happend.

Those that made it: OF the top 10 OGWR players: Kaymer solid 2nd round gets him in right on the cutline. Stricker rallies late and scrapes in on the cutline, but is looking his solid self.

Casey failed to do much, after last weeks win. World Number 1 LW seems to be struggling in the desert swing so far but from memory he usually starts getting hot around the Emirates course at the Desert Classic.

Karlsson starting to pick up where he left off last year and looking Dangerous this year, does he have a major in him. Stenson was solid today, Goosen continues to appear near the top of the leader boards. But tomorrow is moving day who's your money on

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:40 am

No live TV coverage yet but the conditions must be improving. Some low scores being put together out there with a handful of -4 and -5 rounds out on the course.

Leaders starting to go out over the next 90 minutes. Could be some good entertainment today!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down