The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bradley Wiggins ruled out of the Tour de France

4 posters

Go down

Bradley Wiggins ruled out of the Tour de France Empty Bradley Wiggins ruled out of the Tour de France

Post by Guest Fri 31 May 2013, 4:37 pm

From BBC Sport:
Team Sky announces that defending champion Sir Bradley Wiggins has been ruled out of this year's Tour de France due to illness and injury.

A statement from Team Sky on Bradley Wiggins said: "Two weeks ago, a worsening chest infection caused his withdrawal from the Giro d'Italia and he returned home for treatment, rest, and further assessment of an ongoing knee condition.

"During his period of treatment and recovery he has been unable to train with any intensity and he will not be able to race at this month's Criterium du Dauphine or Tour de Suisse."

Team Principal of Team Sky, Sir Dave Brailsford, said: "With illness, injury and treatment Brad has gone past the point where he can be ready for the Tour. It's a big loss but, given these circumstances, we won't consider him for selection."

"It's incredibly sad to have the reigning champion at Team Sky but not lining up at the Tour. But he's a champion, a formidable athlete and will come back winning as he has before."

Sir Bradley Wiggins added: "It's a huge disappointment not to make the Tour. I desperately wanted be there, for the team and for all the fans along the way - but It's not going to happen.

"This team has so many riders in great shape, ready for selection and we set incredible standards for performance which shouldn't be compromised. We need to have the best chance to win."

Back to top Go down

Bradley Wiggins ruled out of the Tour de France Empty Re: Bradley Wiggins ruled out of the Tour de France

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Fri 31 May 2013, 4:49 pm

Rolling Eyes Some champion. Lance Armstrong won it recovering from cancer

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Bradley Wiggins ruled out of the Tour de France Empty Re: Bradley Wiggins ruled out of the Tour de France

Post by alfie Fri 31 May 2013, 6:18 pm

A pity Wiggins won't have a chance to defend...at least it clears up any doubt about Sky's plans now , Froome is their undisputed leader.

I was afraid after he was forced out of the Giro that this might happen , and it will be a big disappointment for both Wiggins and the Tour.
But no sense in killing himself if he's not fit.

Always next year...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 31 May 2013, 7:22 pm

Shame. Always like to see the champion defend his crown and it takes away a little bit from the 100th Tour that the defending champion won't be there. Right decision though, if he can get to full fitness for the Vuelta.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 31 May 2013, 7:46 pm

No point turning up if he ain't gonna be fit, might not even get over the knee stuff before it!

As JDizzle says will probably do the Vuelta now all being well
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down