The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues install artificial pitch

+7
wales606
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
LordDowlais
XR
Cardiff Dave
Adam D
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cardiff Blues install artificial pitch - Page 2 Empty Cardiff Blues install artificial pitch

Post by Adam D Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:53 am

First topic message reminder :

Cardiff Blues and Cardiff RFC can confirm that they will go ahead with installing an artificial pitch at the Arms Park ahead of the 2013/14 season
 It is hoped that the artificial pitch will provide a more entertaining game of rugby. Blues supporters are sure to remember the last Boxing Day match against the Dragons, when heavy rainfall meant the Arms Park pitch took a battering, with the ground heavy underfoot and only one try scored in the 12-10 win.
 The new surface is designed to allow rainfall to drain straight through the system and will see an end to a heavy sodden pitch which is not conducive to the style of rugby our players and fans alike want to see; even snow will not present the difficulties we had previously.
 Launched in 2011, the FieldTurf Optimum fibre, which will be used at the Arms Park, is the result of innovative science, engineering and technology. It will provide a fit for purpose rugby surface, which is soft and strong with extraordinary durability and longevity for both Cardiff RFC and Cardiff Blues players, but also for those in the wider community. The Fieldturf Optimum fibrehas been tested to 5 times the requirement of the IRB regulations in terms of its durability and represents the cutting edge in sports fibre technology.
 Not only can supporters look forward to a faster and more entertaining game but the Blues also will aim to host a number of other events at the ground all year round. Something that is not possible currently at the Arms Park.
 The safety of players is of paramount importance and with plenty of give in the pitch, because of the combined shock pad and carpet system, both teams can challenge for the ball in the air and from line outs with no more risk than playing on grass.
 Cardiff Blues Chief Executive Richard Holland said,
“This is very exciting news for all Cardiff Blues supporters and indeed Cardiff Blues and Cardiff RFCplayers in the region.
“The new surface will allow games to go ahead no matter the weather and hopefully enable us to play a more expansive and attractive game for supporters to enjoy.
 “There is also the wider community to consider and our aim is to make the pitch available for teams in the Blues region to play and train on.
 “We’ve put a great amount of effort into researching the different surfaces available and I have no doubt that the new artificial pitch will be a hit with players and supporters alike.
 “There are many benefits of having the artificial pitch which will also be available to host a number of national events such as the National 7’s tournament and potentially Women’s and age grade rugby internationals.
 WRU Group Chief Executive, Roger Lewis said:
“I congratulate and applaud the Cardiff Blues on this initiative.
“It is a positive step forward for rugby both in the Blues Region and in our Capital City, Cardiff.
“The WRU has received a grant application from the Blues for financial assistance, which I support.
“The focus of the WRU is based upon creating long term sustainable rugby both on and off the field, and our planning is based upon clear, thought through, strategic decisions.
“The Blues have met all of the criteria and IRB regulations, and it is with great pleasure that the WRU endorses this project"
Cardiff Blues Director of Rugby Phil Davies added,
 “Having a new artificial pitch installed at the Arms Park is fantastic news.”
 “It will allow us to play the expansive game that we want which will hopefully be attractive to the supporters to watch.”
 “This wasn’t always possible last season due to the playing surface and dreadful weather conditions we suffered last season.”
 “I know all the players are looking forward to playing on it for our friendly match against Sale Sharks.”
 Gavin Evans, who captained the Cardiff Blues against Saracens at Allianz Park in late January, when the first professional rugby match was played on their artificial pitch said,
 “The surface up at Saracens was similar to the 3G pitch we train on at the Vale Resort but it was much better.
 “The players didn’t suffer many burns - no more than you would playing on grass on a sunny day.
 “It was good underfoot and the players will soon get used to playing on it.
 “For me it’s certainly a big thumbs up and I’d rather play on a 3G pitch like the Saracens’ than the type of surface we played the Dragons on during the Christmas period.”
 Sam Hobbs who started in the front row for the Blues against Saracens said,
 “I found very little difference and thought the footing in the scrum was a lot better especially compared to scrummaging on wet surfaces.
 “I was really impressed and can’t remember many scrums going down.
 “The tempo of the match was a lot easier because the ball wasn’t covered in mud and it felt a lot cleaner. It was certainly a lot cleaner in the changing rooms after.”
 “I think it’s great for the region that we are going ahead with the artificial pitch and I’m looking forward to playing on it next season.”
 The artificial carpet being installed is FieldTurf, which is one of the most established and well-known brands in the artificial turf industry.  They have already developed a wide range of systems for artifical pitches and recently installed a number of new surfaces at Munster’s training centre at the University of Limerick.
 Manchester City, Arsenal, FC Barcelona, Real Madrid CF, Juventus Turin, Inter Milan, Ajax Amsterdam and Paris Saint-Germain are amongst their impressive list of clients who already benefit from Fieldturf pitches.
 Selected as one of the IRB’s preferred producers, the surface is designed to meet the most stringent requirements both of rugby and of the current International Rugby Board regulations.
 Work on installing the new pitch will begin in June ahead of Cardiff Blues playing their first match on the new surface against Sale Sharks on Friday 23 August 7.30pm kick off.
 Cardiff Blues supporters can view the progress on the pitch by signing up to the Cardiff Blues facebook and twitter accounts

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues install artificial pitch - Page 2 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues install artificial pitch

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:20 pm

Latest pics.
Like a building site before any building work, so not interesting at all really.
http://www.cardiffrfc.com/News/Article/29838

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues install artificial pitch - Page 2 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues install artificial pitch

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Jul 2013, 1:43 pm

Great news that the Amlin final will be played at the Arms Park, that will be a very good show case for the new pitch too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 2:20 pm

I think that's good news, but they want to hold more than one event to 'make up' for the cost of the pitch. A potential profit of £50,000-£100,000 for the Blues by hosting the 2014 Amlin Challenge Cup Final will not 'make up' for a £400,000 pitch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23308113 wrote:That has been addressed by installing a state-of-the-art artificial playing surface at an estimated cost of £400,000 and hosting the Amlin would put the pitch in the shop window, as well as generating potential profits of £50,000-£100,000.

I think they should try to host international Welsh football matches as well, I want them to talk to the FAW and come to an arrangement with them because I think CAP is in a much better location than CCS to host international football matches.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 5:03 pm

international197 wrote:I think that's good news, but they want to hold more than one event to 'make up' for the cost of the pitch. A potential profit of £50,000-£100,000 for the Blues by hosting the 2014 Amlin Challenge Cup Final will not 'make up' for a £400,000 pitch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23308113 wrote:That has been addressed by installing a state-of-the-art artificial playing surface at an estimated cost of £400,000 and hosting the Amlin would put the pitch in the shop window, as well as generating potential profits of £50,000-£100,000.

I think they should try to host international Welsh football matches as well, I want them to talk to the FAW and come to an arrangement with them because I think CAP is in a much better location than CCS to host international football matches.

Your aware that the pitch lasts more than 1 season right?

As I have said, the new pitch is the best investment the Blues could make and it looks like it has already started to pay for itself.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Jul 2013, 7:44 pm

It will no doubtedly be a good advert for the pitch having the Amlin final there. Won't it be the first rugby final played on an artificial pitch?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 18 Jul 2013, 8:19 am

Football won't go there because of the terraces and, quite frankly, i don't want them there. We'll make more money by holding events like wedding fayres and that now they don't have to worry about the turf.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Jul 2013, 10:07 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:It will no doubtedly be a good advert for the pitch having the Amlin final there.  Won't it be the first rugby final played on an artificial pitch?

The way the pitch looked most of last season it will be a massive relief to the grounds staff to have something more manageable.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 18 Jul 2013, 10:23 am

I know it is a rugby ground but from the point of view of the Blues or CAC coffers i wouldnt rule anything out. If we can get footy in there to make some money, do it. Maybe we could have RL games on it in the summer. We've shelled out 500k on it, lets get it back and make this sustainable buisness in the long term.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 18 Jul 2013, 10:43 am

As said, there wouldn't be any football happening there due to their being terracing. The level of football which don't require fully seated stadiums isn't worth bringing it. I could see RL games being staged there by the South Wales Scorpions and maybe one off games.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jul 2013, 10:49 am

maestegmafia wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:It will no doubtedly be a good advert for the pitch having the Amlin final there.  Won't it be the first rugby final played on an artificial pitch?

The way the pitch looked most of last season it will be a massive relief to the grounds staff to have something more manageable.

Would they even need ground staff now? Not sure what the management process/need is like with a 4G pitch, but I reckon the Blues may be able to trim their ground staff bill to almost £0 too.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 18 Jul 2013, 11:53 am

Griff wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Would they even need ground staff now?  Not sure what the management process/need is like with a 4G pitch, but I reckon the Blues may be able to trim their ground staff bill to almost £0 too.

I suppose they will still need to maintain it to some extent, I play 5 a side on a 4g pitch and it has these little tiny black silicone grains in it, they will need to be dispurst and then you have to look at things like running repairs and the what not.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Thu 18 Jul 2013, 12:51 pm

Also, if the pitch is snow covered, maybe ground staff are wanted to clear the pitch of snow. But, I would imagine that the ground staff will have much less pitch work to do for next season, in that way the Blues and Cardiff RFC could save a lot of money.

Maybe they could give them paintbrushes instead and ask them to paint the terraces and stuff and make the stands look nice.

It's a shame if people are losing their jobs because of an expensive artificial pitch that may not pay itself back anyway.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 19 Jul 2013, 5:34 pm

international197 wrote:Also, if the pitch is snow covered, maybe ground staff are wanted to clear the pitch of snow. But, I would imagine that the ground staff will have much less pitch work to do for next season, in that way the Blues and Cardiff RFC could save a lot of money.

Maybe they could give them paintbrushes instead and ask them to paint the terraces and stuff and make the stands look nice.

It's a shame if people are losing their jobs because of an expensive artificial pitch that may not pay itself back anyway.

Some hanging baskets with pansies and begonias possibly?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon 22 Jul 2013, 8:27 am

Went down CAP on saturday for a little nose, the pitch level has been raised due to the extra layers needed for the pitch so the viewpoint for terrace fans should be better.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sat 27 Jul 2013, 8:54 am

Was down there after the cricket last night.

Cardiff Blues install artificial pitch - Page 2 2133if4

Cardiff Blues install artificial pitch - Page 2 2e5l0ts

The pitch hadn’t been glued down or whatever they do to it. So it was loose off of the ground. The "grass blades" are very long compared to those they used for the 5-a-side pitches and the little rubber pellets hadn’t been put on yet. The pitch was also very narrow compared to the CAP pitch last season. From the North Terrace I’d say that the touchline was about 2.5M further in field from where it was, the in goal was pretty small aswell. But like i said, they still haven’t finished it.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2