The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Ascot - Tuesday

2 posters

Go down

Royal Ascot - Tuesday Empty Royal Ascot - Tuesday

Post by sportform Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:06 am

There were a few on here who post during the Cheltenham Festival so I thought I would put up some daily threads for Royal Ascot too for those wanting to discuss their tips, winners and losers or just the racing itself.

GOING: GOOD (GoingStick: Stands' side 8.5, Centre 8.5, Far side 8.6, Round 8.1) (Rail on the round course will be positioned approx 3yds out from 9f to the home straight, adding approx 6yds to old mile, 9yds to 1m2f & 12yds to races of 1m 4f and further). (Showers)

STALLS: Straight course - Centre; Round course - Inside

2.30 QUEEN ANNE STAKES (BRITISH CHAMPIONS SERIES) (GROUP 1) (CLASS 1) (4yo+) Winner £198,485 13 runners 1m Good CH4
There is no Frankel to open Royal Ascot this year but there is a world class horse in ANIMAL KINGDOM running. His trainer H Graham Motion is breaking the mold by bringing his 2011 Kentucky Derby winner over to England to run on the turf. He is following on from his success in the Dubai World Cup and goes for the easier option here. From what I have seen of the horse ten furlongs is his optimum trip and over shorter races in the Preakness Stakes 1m1f and the Breeders Cup Mile 1m, he was staying on at the end. I still expect his class to show though and get the Royal meeting off to an international flavour. The John Gosden filly Elusive Cat has to be the main danger. I wasn't too impressed with A P O'Brien's Declaration Of War in the Lockinge Stakes and he is probably best watched here.

3.05 KING´S STAND STAKES (BRITISH CHAMPIONS SERIES & GLOBAL SPRINT CHALLENGE) (GROUP 1) (CLASS 1) (3yo+) Winner £198,485 19 runners 5f Good CH4
There is another hot international favourite for the second race on the card in the shape of South African sprinter Shea Shea. The Mike de Kock trainer colt has won his last two starts in Dubai including a Group 1 last time out. Reckless Abandon made a fine seasonal debut in the Temple Stakes just going down by half a length to Kingsgate Choice. He should come on for that run and will be hard to beat. The colt also won over course and distance at last year's meeting. The Irish challenge is led by Sole Power who was behind Reckless Abandon at Haydock but won very nicely at Newmarket before that. KINGSGATE CHOICE is always a bit quirky and you never quite know how he will run but on the form of his two runs this year looks good value at around 12/1. Medicean Man beat Shea Shea in Meydan and could offer good each way value at around 25/1.

3.45 ST JAMES´S PALACE STAKES (BRITISH CHAMPIONS SERIES) (GROUP 1) (ENTIRE COLTS) (CLASS 1) (3yo) Winner £198,485 9 runners 1m Good CH4
The third race and third Group 1 of the day sees the top two three year old milers go head-to-head in the shape of DAWN APPROACH and Magician. The latter trained by A P O'Brien looked very impressive over ten furlongs at Chester and even more so in the Irish 2000 Guineas at the end of May and could definitely be the sort to run up a string of Group 1 wins over the summer. However negative reports last week and him drifting in the betting are a concern. Dawn Approach was unbeaten going into the Derby but nothing seemed to go right for him at Epsom. This maybe look to be too early for a return to the racetrack but if all is well with the horse, his 2000 Guineas form should put him head and shoulders above the field. Glory Awaits, second in the Newmarket classic, could have some each way value at 25/1.

4.25 COVENTRY STAKES (GROUP 2) (CLASS 1) (2yo) Winner £68,052 16 runners 6f Good CH4
Two A P O'Brien colts lead the betting for the first two year old event of the meeting. Stubbs has won his last two starts while Sir John Hawkins won his only start at the Curragh in May. Richard Hannon has a number of interesting runners including Championship who won his only start after finding trouble. Wahaab won his maiden well at Goodwood but THUNDER STRIKE could be the best of the bunch. He has won all three of his starts well including an impressive victory in the Woodcote Stakes at Epsom on Derby day. Frankie Dettori comes in for the ride.  Mawfoor and War Command are the best of the rest.

5.00 ASCOT STAKES (HANDICAP) (CLASS 2) (4yo+ 0-95) Winner £37,350 20 runners 2m4f Good CH4
Lady Cecil sends the first Royal Ascot runner out in this race and TIGER CLIFF would be an emotional winner for the stable. The horse stayed on well last time to win over 14 furlongs and should improve. Lieutenant Miller is an interesting runner for Nicky Henderson and Graham Lee is on board while Homeric, ridden by Frankie Dettori, won over two miles at Ascot last time out and is another with decent claims.

5.35 WINDSOR CASTLE STAKES (LISTED RACE) (CLASS 1) (2yo) Winner £34,026 28 runners 5f Good CH4
The final race of the day is another two year old event and American Wesley Ward runs an interesting prospect in Ogermeister who coasted home over five furlongs on his only start. Anticipated, trained by Richard Hannon, is likely to go off favourite for this race while A P O'Brien runs Fountain Of Youth and Wilshire Boulevard. My Catch has been backed down to add to his Beverley second but DER BLAUE REITER could be one to take a chance on at 40/1.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Royal Ascot - Tuesday Empty Re: Royal Ascot - Tuesday

Post by racingnut Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:05 am

2.30 Farhhs defection leaves this renewal very thin on real Group one quality.Animal Kingdom will be a warm order and whilst he does boast the best form in the book,this is a very different test from the ones that hes been tackling at home and in Dubai.Drawn on the outside,he might get lit up and free running at this venue only ends in tears.He is easy to swerve at 11/10.Elusive Kate would be interesting if she had had a run but coming here first up is a massive ask but she might get a soft lead,if she does then she could take some passing.ALJAMAHEER is one that interests me,solid Group two and three form from last year,he ran with a deal of promise at Newbury behind Farhh,with nothing of that calibre in here aside form the American visitor then at 14s i think hes a belting ew proposition.

3.05 Usual cavalry charge but to my mind it only involves three runners,Shea Shea,Sole Power and Reckless Abandon.The last named was a top two year old,ran a screamer under a penalty at Haydock and strangely for this race,might end up getting an easy time on the front end.However its hard for 3yos to compete against seasoned older horses this early in the year.Overlooked here but one to bear in mind for the big pots towards the latter part of the campaign.SHEA SHEA and Sole Power are fairly closely matched on Dubai form,you can argue the case for both,Sole Power may have been drawn away from the pace in the UAE but the South African charge won comfortably and without been strongly ridden.Both love racing at a strong pace,which they might not get here but i think Mick De Kocks speedball has more tactical slack in his armoury than the Irish challenger and i think he has the class to overcome any negatives.Form wise at 5/2 or bigger he represents a much better VFM bet than Animal Kngdom in the first.

3.45 Cracking renewal but plenty of questions to be answered by the front three in the market.Dawn Approach won the Guineas in fine style,was hailed as yet another "Second coming" only to blow his stack at Epsom and finish rank last in the Blue Riband.Connections wouldnt come here unless the right signs were being shown but at 11/8 hes easy to pass over.Toronado was the big UK hope at Newmarket and two out it looked game on but he supposedly slipped his tongue over the bit and/or dislocated his palate,whatever the prognosis he finished out on his feet and it would take a leap of faith to get involved with him again until he actually shows that this isnt going to be an ongoing problem.Magician has had a strange campaign,winner over 10 at Chester,was going to Epsom but then re routed to the Irish 2000 where he won in taking style.Strange race at the Curragh,only two horse ever really looked like getting involved and to be honest the actual form,like that from the Newmarket Guineas isnt anything to get excited about.The one thats slipped under the radar is without doubt DUNDONNELL.Nothing between him and Toronado on last years form,i backed him at massive antepost prices for the 2000 but an interrupted preparation and him not coming to himself scuppered his chance even though he ran a fairly respectable race in the Craven.Nice win back over the Rowley course under a 7lb penalty has hopefully got him back on track and 20s is just way to big to ignore.

4.25 Cant say that ive followed any 2yo form this term,i rarely do but i did see STUBBS win two of his starts the second of which i thought was very taking.Connections love to target this race with one of their better juveniles and although its not an original selection i take the Ballydoyle raider to bring home the bacon.

5.00 Cracking heat with loads of chances.Plenty of "jumpers" back on the level and a few un exposed flat types to throw into the mix.Tiger Cliff will be a warm order and would be a very poignant winner,solid Newmarket victory bodes for his chances but its one of the vanquished from the heat that interests me,MUBARAZA shaped with a deal of promise,doing all of his best work at the death,that was over 1m6 and on visual evidence you have to say this extra 6f will be a massive plus for him.Host of dangers in Big Easy who looks very nicely treated,Lieutenant Miller who will stay this and more and Suraj,if he came back to his best then he might be the proverbial handicap blot.Not one to get too involved in but the Hamdan owned stayer for me to small stakes.

5.35 Another 2yo that  so im struggling slightly but over this 5f races can be won and lost in the first 200 yds.OGERMEISTER will be away and gone from the boxes and it might be that by the time the domestic challengers have got rolling the American fella has gone beyond recall.Wesley Ward knows what is needed here and 7s is solid bet material.

racingnut

Back to top Go down