The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the most challenging position to play?

+14
Hydroxymoron
D24tress
The Phoenix
Ozzy3213
eirebilly
MR. scotland27
Glas a du
Cari
greybeard
kiakahaaotearoa
Mad for Chelsea
Adam D
mckay1402
Schrodinger's Cat
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is the most challenging position to play in rugby?

What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_lcap23%What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 7 ]
What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_lcap10%What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_lcap16%What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_lcap6%What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_lcap6%What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_lcap13%What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_lcap16%What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_lcap3%What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_lcap0%What is the most challenging position to play? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 31

What is the most challenging position to play? Empty What is the most challenging position to play?

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 10 May 2011, 11:27 am

What in your opinion is the most difficult position to play on a rugby field? Each position has difficult technical challenges and requires different abilities. For example the pressure on the out half and the required game managing skill are a world apart from the dark arts of the front row, where technique and power are vital.

I have separated the three different front row players because of the major differences in tighthead and loosehead scrummaging.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

What is the most challenging position to play? Empty Re: What is the most challenging position to play?

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 11:32 am

I've gone for Out Half myself. I think it's such a key position to a team. Not only does your kicking out of hand have to be good, but also usually kicking at goal etc. Add to that you have to marshal the entire back line, deal with whatever type of ball your forwards and scrum half give you, and on top of that you generally have to be very solid defensively!

It's a very difficult position to become the master of I reckon, and they are usually the fall guy of a team that aren't playing well.

That said I think scrum half and anywhere in the front row are also very challanging positions to play in.

Back to top Go down

What is the most challenging position to play? Empty Re: What is the most challenging position to play?

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 10 May 2011, 11:49 am

I was thinking most likely out half or one the props, but hadn't entirely made up my mind. I agree with you about the multi-tasking required by the out half along with often taking the flak. Plus they often have to take those pressure kicks that win or lose the game in the dying moments.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 10 May 2011, 12:10 pm

Personally I have played most positions from hooker to fullback and I can confirm that Hooker is definitely the most difficult position I have played.

You have to combine raw aggression, controlled fury and then be able to keep calm enough to hit your jumper in the lineout. Not to mention the fact that almost the entire pressure of the scrum is channelled down your neck and back.

yes there is pressure on outside half but it's nowhere near is much pressure as on a hooker. Hooker is my first position by the way...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 10 May 2011, 1:27 pm

mckay - A similar argument could be made that the out half has to keep calm to score points. I would say that the range of skills that a hooker requires is less than for an out half, but I take it you regard the physical prowess required and the ability to keep a lid on your emotions as more challenging than learning a skill set?

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 10 May 2011, 1:35 pm

I went for Centre as it is often a unglamorous role but very physically challenging.

They always seem to be the ones who have to take the tackle to open up the game with quick passing etc.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 10 May 2011, 1:35 pm

Well I wouldn't put it exactly like that. I find that the outside half position doesn't really change in intensity and focus required (not withstanding opponents and weather conditions) whereas a hooker can conceivably go directly from having an 8th of a ton on his back (apparently this is roughly what a top class hooker will experience.) to having to make a precision throw. I think that change in role is extremely challenging.

I totally hear what you're saying about the kicks though. It is extremely hard to calom yourself to make kicks but it's not always the OH who kicks so I wouldn't put that exclusively as an OH function
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 10 May 2011, 1:37 pm

well maybe one of the great things about rugby is that all the positions are key and each one is challenging in its own way. fullback is a swine as well because you're always expected to take the high ball and if you miss the tackle it's try time. wingers are useless if they're not scoring etc etc...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 10 May 2011, 1:47 pm

Hobo - If you are going for physically challenging and unglamorous, how about the second row?

mckay - Have to agree with you about all positions being difficult, which is why I posted the article in the first place. I assigned kicking to the out half because it is his job in most teams. I could counter that the hooker doesn't always throw and in the past often didn't.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 10 May 2011, 1:50 pm

Schrodinger's Cat wrote:Hobo - If you are going for physically challenging and unglamorous, how about the second row?

But the centre also has to try and break through the line at times and make long runs - something the second row doesnt. Hey its all opinion - I just think that the centre has the taking tackles element, as well as the creativity part on his shoulders.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 10 May 2011, 2:02 pm

I'm afraid I'm not going to vote on this one. Each position is IMO equally challenging and key in its own way. For instance, out of those not mentioned by previous posters there's the back row, who need to control the breakdown which is often where games are won and lost (make sure your team has good clean ball and the opponents slow ball). Or the scrum half, needs to decide when to go with the backs, when to go with the forwards, when to kick, when to slow things down, etc. decision maker, he has a lot of responsibility too.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 10 May 2011, 2:06 pm

Mad for Chelsea - I think that the best way to look at it is the first among equals rather than one position being significantly harder than the others. As Hobo said though, it's all opinion.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 2:16 pm

MfC - I found it really hard to pick. I agree that all positions are very challenging, just thought Out Half was just that little bit more than the others. Although the more I think about it, the closer I am to changing my mind!

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 10 May 2011, 2:49 pm

You could counter that the hooker doesn't always throw in but I challenge you to name me one top flight team who doesn't use the hooker to throw in...I am aware that it used to be the winger but certainly since I started playing it has always been the hooker.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 10 May 2011, 2:51 pm

That's just it RD, my first thought was out half, as he's the one controlling the game basically, then I thought about it and thought maybe back row, as they battle for the key of the breakdown. Then I read other people's opinions, and that basically messed me up completely.

It's one of the great things about rugby, the diversity of the roles, and the equal importance of all of them. Just couldn't make my mind up in the end...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 10 May 2011, 3:00 pm

To be fair to you mckay, it has to be the modern roles because the game has changed so much. Under that premise, the hooker would almost certainly be throwing.

It's good to see that there are so many different opinions. It just goes to show why it is so important to have 15 good players on the field.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 3:04 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:

It's one of the great things about rugby, the diversity of the roles, and the equal importance of all of them.

I 100% agree with that! thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 10 May 2011, 3:07 pm

Can I just say that this has been one of my favourite rugby threads on 606v2 so far.

Its good to see so many different views.

(I know that some people on 606 might be getting fed up with ads on 606 but I think that this is an excellent article to post over (with link of course!))

I will leave it in your hands to decide.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 10 May 2011, 3:12 pm

Cheers Hobo. I deleted my (short-lived) 606 account ages ago, so I can't put a link there. Feel free to do it yourself or ask someone else to though.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 10 May 2011, 3:14 pm

I think if we ever put a poll up to ask the least challenging, it would be a much easier choice.

It would be the ...........

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 10 May 2011, 3:30 pm

Now that would be controversial!

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 10 May 2011, 3:33 pm

The most innefective player I have ever had the misfortune to watch (albeit on the TV) was Nigel Walker for Wales on the wing.

It could be heaving it down, the field would be like a bog, and Nige would walk in with a pristine uniform at half time, whilst everyone else was caked in mud!

So my answer would have been winger.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 10 May 2011, 3:35 pm

I think it's hard to argue with that Hobo. Although wingers do tend to come into the game more these days looking for the ball, in theory they can stand out on the wing and not do anything unless they happen to get the ball or someone runs or kicks at them.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 10 May 2011, 5:55 pm

Even though I was a back, I'm inclined to think loosehead prop is the hardest position to play. Flyhalf is probably the most scrutinised position as they're in play so much and can influence a game so much.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 10 May 2011, 6:00 pm

What's your reasoning kia? I would have thought that tighthead is harder than loosehead as it the tighthead that is the rock on which the scrum is built.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 10 May 2011, 6:36 pm

Referee

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 10 May 2011, 7:41 pm

greybeard wrote:Referee

boxing True that!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 10 May 2011, 8:59 pm

But I don't think you can say the "referee" plays the game, which after all was the question...unless of course you think he is playing for the opposition. Whistle

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 10 May 2011, 10:44 pm

"Whose put in is it ref?"

"Ours"

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Wed 11 May 2011, 9:17 am

I think it's fair to say the referee is the only person who is able to play for both teams simultaneously, or at least that's what both sets of supporters think. From that point of view, his is definitely the hardest position - potentially different positions on each team!

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 11 May 2011, 9:23 am

any of you guys twitter followers - we have just set up a rugby twitter account @606v2rugby

Dont forget to follow!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 11 May 2011, 3:14 pm

just to let you know Shane Williams has tweeted 606v2rugby with his response..,...."ref"!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 11 May 2011, 4:48 pm

Cai Griffiths has just commented as well saying he thinks wing is the easiest!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 May 2011, 4:53 pm

Ha brilliant Hobo! It's great that they're actually responding thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 11 May 2011, 5:05 pm

Hooker. I've played 1-6 at various points of my career. It may be easier now that boring in is outlawed.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed 11 May 2011, 7:15 pm

Hobo wrote:just to let you know Shane Williams has tweeted 606v2rugby with his response..,...."ref"!

Just for the record, I'm not Shane Williams.

But he's obviously a man of taste and discernment.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 12 May 2011, 9:37 am

Glas

it may not be allowed but it doesn't stop it happening. makes for an extremely uncomfortable day if your loosehead isn't up to the job...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Thu 12 May 2011, 12:13 pm

Oh dear. Some one put a sister article on 606 with a link to this one, but forgot "to play" in the title and now there's all sorts of innuendo going on which is sullying my reputation. mad

But if it gets more posters to transfer here sooner, then I'm happy. thumbsup

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Thu 12 May 2011, 8:25 pm

I had to go for Hooker because even though I play there my self, it is the most difficult because you need to balance the technicality of the front rowand the lineout with being an extra back row around the pitch. that is why it is the most difficult position to play, however I do have sympathy for a fly half, or a full back.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Thu 12 May 2011, 9:31 pm

There are a lot of hookers insisting that their position is the hardest. Do all players think their position is the hardest, or do hookers have an inferiority complex? laughing

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 13 May 2011, 9:40 am

I don't think it's that. It's that Hookers tend to play other postions in an effort to escape from the front row and this is how they know that it's the hardest. Also try getting some other position to play hooker...virtually impossible. Once you're labelled as a hooker it's very difficult to get a game in a different position
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 13 May 2011, 9:44 am

I am an old IC but i always thought that scrum half was the hardest position. They run the game, moreso than the 10. Joost v/d Westhuizen was the best SH i have ever seen play.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Fri 13 May 2011, 12:29 pm

Fair enough mckay, although I can't imagine many hookers successfully playing in the half-backs. So at the very least hooker is the position that is the least favourite to play in.

eirebilly - I would have thought that a scrum half has a smaller repertoire of skills than an out half though.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 13 May 2011, 12:51 pm

You'd be susprised actually. Not to be too argumentative but I played against a team this season who had their reserve hooker at scrum half and he was bloody good. hard to put down and pretty decent service too. Syelby town in case you wondered
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Fri 13 May 2011, 1:35 pm

Surely that guy was the exception rather than the rule though. Although I have seen a few hookers at international level with surprisingly good passing and football skills.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 13 May 2011, 1:47 pm

Exactly. I reckon the likes of Fitzpatrick, Wood and smit would have made pretty good scrum halfs.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Fri 13 May 2011, 1:57 pm

But can you imagine Steve Thompson at scrum half?

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 13 May 2011, 2:04 pm

Ha ha. No probably not. You win this one cat, you win this one!
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 13 May 2011, 4:52 pm

Schrodinger's Cat;

I actually feel that a SH has a more difficult job that an OH in that he is the player that dictates the speed of play. Just look how good SA were when they had Joost playing, how good the Aussies were when Gregan was playing and how good England were when Dawson was playing.

A very underated position but 1 that definately requires alot of skill. Just my thoughts though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 14 May 2011, 8:31 am

Just had Adam Jones (yes the Adam Jones of the Wales International team) Tweet me with his answer - tight head prop.

No surprises there!

Thanks Adam.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next