The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are there any old films we should look to re-make?

+11
super_realist
Mr Bounce
Stella
Hoggy_Bear
ShahenshahG
Adam D
jimmyinthewell68
The Womble
Galted
rIck_dAgless
bhb001
15 posters

Go down

Are there any old films we should look to re-make? Empty Are there any old films we should look to re-make?

Post by bhb001 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:03 am

We all complain about no new ideas and that too many films are old films re-made. We have Carrie coming out soon, Robo-cop and possibly Escape from New York in the future; all good examples of films which should be left alone! But we also have True Grit, which, by all accounts, is well done. The Thing is a great 50's B movie, but most people prefer the 80's John Carpenter version. So the rule that old films shouldn't be touched is not universal.

Are there films that could be re-visited now, either due to maturity on the subject or just better effects!! Would The Forbidden Planet be a good subject for a re-make? Could an Ang Lee version of Gone with the Wind show new sides to this classic? Should Birth of a Nation be re-done to re-balance the racist aspects of this film? Or should we just leave the oldies alone to stand on their own two feet?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Are there any old films we should look to re-make? Empty Re: Are there any old films we should look to re-make?

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:19 am

Wouldnt mind seeing a re-make of the 1960's film "the league of gentlemen"

Day of the triffids could be done well also

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Are there any old films we should look to re-make? Empty Re: Are there any old films we should look to re-make?

Post by Galted Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:21 am

The Grapes of Wrath - some of the '40s overacting is a bit silly and the cinematography isn't as epic as it could be
The Jungle Book - charming as it is a lot of the animation is poor, for example where Baloo and King Louis fight over Mowgli
Jason and the Argonauts - would like to see a CGI version, the skeletons especially

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:40 am

I'm not overly bothered about old films being re-made. There are plenty of stories, whether they are made up or adapted from real events, out there to make new films.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of War films re-made. I reckon someone could do Full Metal Jacket or The Bridge On The River Kwai quite well.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 11:22 am

well only using the old films i wouldn't mind someone remarking another john Wayne classic big Jake . i always preferred it too true grit

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 11:38 am

I don't know Big Jake, which opens up the possibility of re-making of great old films that aren't well known. Ace in the Hole by Billy Wilder may update well.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 20 Aug 2013, 11:49 am

Tarzan
Treasure Island
Trancers

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 20 Aug 2013, 11:50 am

he man

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Aug 2013, 11:58 am

"The Shootist"

I appreciate Jeff Bridges has already tackled John Wayne's role in True Grit but he's of an age an ability where he could do it justice (just as long as it's not as hammy as his role in R.I.P.D. which in fairness looks like a lot of fun despite being a Men in Black rip off)

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:11 pm

Adam D wrote:Tarzan
Now, I can't really see this working in an updated setting. At worst, he gets shot by a 12 year old child soldier as he trespasses on a mine digging out blood diamonds. I'm a great fan of the Johnny Wisemuller films though, loving them when I was early teens.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:29 pm

There are a number of old sci-fi films that I reckon could be great re-made today. How about Soylent Green or Logan's Run

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:37 pm

Logan's Run is a good shout. It looks very camp now, so could update well. I would like to leave Soylent Green alone The part where he is following the vans with not a word spoke for about five minutes is superb

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:39 pm

Waterworld could have been good. Perhaps they should have another go.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:00 pm

Be interesting what they could do with the Gumball Rally or Cannonball Run these days. With Speed Cameras, computers, Bugatti Veyrons etc.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:05 pm

Ipcress File

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:26 pm

scanners
driller killer
the exterminator

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:31 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:scanners
driller killer
the exterminator
Was gonna suggest Scanners myself.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:37 pm

Escape To Victory - With Messi, Rooney, Terry and some actors taking on ze germans.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:40 pm

Stella wrote:Escape To Victory - With Messi, Rooney, Terry and some act ors taking on ze germans.
if terry was in it i ll be routing for the Germans

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:42 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Stella wrote:Escape To Victory - With Messi, Rooney, Terry and some act ors taking on ze germans.
            if terry was in it    i ll be routing for the Germans
Yeah, I mentioned him, so he could get shot.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:44 pm

Stella wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Laugh  and tortured

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:46 pm

I watched Scanners last week as part of the horror season on Film 4. Not a film that has aged well. Getting some decent actors in it (Michael Ironside a part who I thought was pretty decent gurning away through the film) would definitely help the film

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 21 Aug 2013, 2:37 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Stella wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
                   Laugh       and tortured          

I have heard that Vinnie Jones is supposedly trying to get funding for a re-make of Escape to Victory , i hope no-one helps him !
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:46 pm

Kenny wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Stella wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
                   Laugh       and tortured          
I have heard that Vinnie Jones is supposedly trying to get funding for a re-make of Escape to Victory , i hope no-one helps him !
I heard that even WONGA.COM told him to eff off

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:52 pm

He would no doubt get his old school mate, Jason Statham involved, probably beating up 10 Germans.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed 21 Aug 2013, 5:11 pm

football films dont do well financialy i can't imagine . bet he wants the Michael cane part

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:33 pm

A tv film that i always liked but thought would make a good cinema film is Salem's Lot , given the vampire theme that has gone on for the last few years now could be the time
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:47 pm

Kenny wrote:A tv film that i always liked but thought would make a good cinema film is Salem's Lot , given the vampire theme that has gone on for the last few years now could be the time
Finally watched it a couple of weeks back and it is tragically dated, agree it could do with a revamp (pun originally unintended but now I'm quite proud of it). Don't know why it was made as a tv film and not for cinema.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Aug 2013, 1:52 pm

Day of the Triffids is an excellent shout. I loved the BBC adaptation of that with Eddie Izzard.

Jason and the Argonauts would be good too, with the skeletons.

Dune. That could be crazily good, or Waterworld bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:09 pm

I heard that Salems Lots was being re-made. Probably stuck in pre-production limbo. any, zombies are in and vampires are out!. But I do agree. This could stand another remake.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:12 pm

Think I'd weep if they remade Salem's Lot (again) They've had two cracks at it so (like King Kong) if you haven't got it right by now, leave it alone.

Every ten years Stephen King write a collection of short stories or a story about a stranger who comes to a small town, opens a shop and causes upheavel (Salem's Lot, Needful Things). He needs a smack.

However, they should remake "IT" as it has the potential to be brilliant. They should also remake "THE STAND"

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 22 Aug 2013, 2:44 pm

saloms lot (David soul ) scared the hell out of me when i was young . its went from Christopher lee dracula:roll:  to that . never recovered . never recovered . boy in window scene genius Shocked 

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Thu 22 Aug 2013, 3:00 pm

wishmaster
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 8:56 pm

Deep throat

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Sat 24 Aug 2013, 7:58 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Deep throat
   they just completed a bio film  with deepthroat  star linda lovelace . the gorgeous Cool Amanda seyfried lead role . she is stunning .its properly best that i dont go and see that in pictures . .-Erm

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 26 Aug 2013, 9:02 am

DAVE667 wrote:Think I'd weep if they remade Salem's Lot (again) They've had two cracks at it so (like King Kong) if you haven't got it right by now, leave it alone.

Every ten years Stephen King write a collection of short stories or a story about a stranger who comes to a small town, opens a shop and causes upheavel (Salem's Lot, Needful Things). He needs a smack.

However, they should remake "IT" as it has the potential to be brilliant. They should also remake "THE STAND"
Beat me to it! I was gonna suggest It as they could do a proper job with Pennywise out of clown form.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Aug 2013, 8:38 pm

Citizen Kane with Jim Carrey in the lead role..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down