The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scenes that ruin films

+7
Stella
STC
Rowley
dummy_half
Mr Bounce
Galted
bhb001
11 posters

Go down

Scenes that ruin films Empty Scenes that ruin films

Post by Guest Wed 28 Aug 2013, 9:10 pm

I watched The Lovely Bones recently and was getting into the film until one particular scene: the bit when Susie Salmon (the deceased girl) befriends Holly in purgatory.  My opinion of the film took a bit of a nosedive at this point.  All in all, there are three sequences that lowered my rating of the film but the one I mentioned did the most damage.  

Which scene, or scenes, ruined your enjoyment of a film?

Back to top Go down

Scenes that ruin films Empty Re: Scenes that ruin films

Post by bhb001 Wed 28 Aug 2013, 9:37 pm

For me, it was the ending of Inglorious Basterds when they blew up Hitler. I know people can explain it as Tarantino's universe, but it totally set me against the film.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 29 Aug 2013, 7:58 am

Doesn't quite ruin the film but one scene that really annoys me is in Silence of the Lambs when the cadets are watching Senator Martin pleading on tv for her daughter's return and you have the exchange between Ardelia and Clarice starting with the "smart, real smart" comment followed by an explanation that she's saying Catherine's name so the kidnapper sees her as a person and not an object. Bad enough to assume the viewers are such morons that they need it explained but why risk the insult to viewers when the scene offers absolutely nothing to the film?

Life of Brian - the spaceship scene, it's almost as if they realised how brilliant the film was and deliberately cheapened it with a bit of silliness to remind you it's Monty Python. A bit like painting a masterpiece and spray-painting your name across it.

Christiane F - when she goes to a Bowie concert and the story is pretty much paused while the film turns into a live music video.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 29 Aug 2013, 8:15 am

Terminator 3 (I know, I know; not exactly a great film) but where he goes into the strip club and also where he puts on the silly shades. Just for a cheap belly laugh which doesn't work in either case.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 29 Aug 2013, 8:50 am

Galted wrote:...
Life of Brian - the spaceship scene, it's almost as if they realised how brilliant the film was and deliberately cheapened it with a bit of silliness to remind you it's Monty Python.  A bit like painting a masterpiece and spray-painting your name across it.

Agree entirely - it's still the second best comedy film I've seen, but that sequence is just so random and jarring to the way the rest of the fim runs. Looked a bit like they said to Terry Gilliam 'here's 3 minutes, do your bit'.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 29 Aug 2013, 9:06 am

Any scene with Jar Jar Binks, take your pick.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu 29 Aug 2013, 9:33 am

dummy_half wrote:
Life of Brian - the spaceship scene, it's almost as if they realised how brilliant the film was and deliberately cheapened it with a bit of silliness to remind you it's Monty Python.  A bit like painting a masterpiece and spray-painting your name across it.

Agree entirely - it's still the second best comedy film I've seen, but that sequence is just so random and jarring to the way the rest of the fim runs. Looked a bit like they said to Terry Gilliam 'here's 3 minutes, do your bit'.
But that is Python though, isn't it?

I also think it offers an alternative view into the film. The film is essentially mocking organised religion and pointing out it's many flaws and hypocricies. Throughout the film it offers the viewer alternatives to organised religion. Brian telling his followers to think for themselves, etc. Putting aliens into a religious epic, albeit a spoof one, is just an extension of that. UFOs and aliens were very popular at the time when the film was made.

The film may be better without it but I don't think it's as random as it appears.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 29 Aug 2013, 9:44 am

STC wrote:
dummy_half wrote:

I also think it offers an alternative view into the film. The film is essentially mocking organised religion and pointing out it's many flaws and hypocricies. Throughout the film it offers the viewer alternatives to organised religion. Brian telling his followers to think for themselves, etc. Putting aliens into a religious epic, albeit a spoof one, is just an extension of that. UFOs and aliens were very popular at the time when the film was made.

The film may be better without it but I don't think it's as random as it appears.
It's Python reminding you that it's Python rather than just being Python if that makes any sense.

And no matter how hard I've tried to justify the scene, being a bit of a Python-geek, I just have to admit it's a sh1t scene that detracts greatly from the film.  Belonged in Holy Grail or Meaning of Life.

And now I can't stop using the word "Python".

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:09 am

Any scene in Pulp Fiction where Bruce Willis is talking to his French girlfriend. She irritates the bejesus out of me and he should have left her to be killed or driven her back to Zed's just in time to meet Wallace and his couple o' hard pipe hittin' "fellows" and they could have gone to work on her with a pair of pliers and blowtorch (or just tol her to be very VERY quiet)

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:17 am

Galted wrote:
STC wrote:
dummy_half wrote:

It's Python reminding you that it's Python rather than just being Python if that makes any sense.

And no matter how hard I've tried to justify the scene, being a bit of a Python-geek, I just have to admit it's a sh1t scene that detracts greatly from the film.  Belonged in Holy Grail or Meaning of Life.

Yes, it's a fair Python....I mean, point.

It's one of those 'like it or not' things I suppose. I quite like it but I understand that a lot of people don't.

I do actually agree that it would be a better film without it though, if that makes any sense?
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:19 am

DAVE667 wrote:Any scene in Pulp Fiction where Bruce Willis is talking to his French girlfriend. She irritates the bejesus out of me and he should have left her to be killed or driven her back to Zed's just in time to meet Wallace and his couple o' hard pipe hittin' "fellows" and they could have gone to work on her with a pair of pliers and blowtorch (or just tol her to be very VERY quiet)
Yes, she is very annoying.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:24 am

The 'diplomatic' Rocky speech at the end of Rocky IV. Rocky films are a bit cheesy, although great, but that was gay.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:29 am

Stella wrote:The 'diplomatic' Rocky speech at the end of Rocky IV. Rocky films are a bit cheesy, although great, but that was gay.
That speech helped end The Cold War. We could be living in a nuclear wasteland if it wan't for that speech.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:40 am

STC wrote:
Galted wrote:
STC wrote:
dummy_half wrote:

It's one of those 'like it or not' things I suppose. I quite like it but I understand that a lot of people don't.

I do actually agree that it would be a better film without it though, if that makes any sense?
It does.  Are you aware that if you add a "y" to Scunthorpe it becomes an anagram of "Python Curse"?  Another "e" and an "x" and it becomes, appropriately, "Python Excuser".  Makes me wish I lived in Scunthorpe.

This debate has got me going "ni" repeatedly which is really f*****g off a couple of my colleagues.  They joined in at first but I've worn them down by doing it to death.  Tw*ts.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:42 am

STC wrote:
Stella wrote:The 'diplomatic' Rocky speech at the end of Rocky IV. Rocky films are a bit cheesy, although great, but that was gay.
That speech helped end The Cold War. We could be living in a nuclear wasteland if it wan't for that speech.
Yeah, we'd all bew speaking Russian by now if it wasn't for the Americans. They also prevented us from speaking German and now they seem determined to stop us speaking English properly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:44 am

Speeches are a good way of c0cking up a film, the speech-off between Clint and Ten Bears in Outlaw Josey Wales is particularly scrotum-wrinkling.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:47 am

Galted wrote:
STC wrote:
Galted wrote:
STC wrote:
dummy_half wrote:

It does.  Are you aware that if you add a "y" to Scunthorpe it becomes an anagram of "Python Curse"?  Another "e" and an "x" and it becomes, appropriately, "Python Excuser".  Makes me wish I lived in Scunthorpe.

This debate has got me going "ni" repeatedly which is really f*****g off a couple of my colleagues.  They joined in at first but I've worn them down by doing it to death.  Tw*ts.
Haha.

That's genuinely the first time anybody has ever said that to me.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:49 am

DAVE667 wrote:
STC wrote:
Yeah, we'd all bew speaking Russian by now if it wasn't for the Americans. They also prevented us from speaking German and now they seem determined to stop us speaking English properly.
Gee whiz, Dave, they sure do.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Aug 2013, 11:08 am

STC wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
STC wrote:
Like, totally or something?

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 11:24 am

DAVE667 wrote:
STC wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
STC wrote:
Like, totally or something?
Whatever

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 29 Aug 2013, 11:31 am

You guys, stop it.

If you can change, we can all change.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 29 Aug 2013, 1:05 pm

Once read something on the making of Life of Brian and the whole spaceship scene was apparently a pain in the arse to film and a logistical nightmare (they had to cram the filming into a couple of hours because Graham Chapman was a tax exile at the time and couldn't work in the UK for more than a few hours before he'd be liable for a hefty tax bill).

They really needn't have bothered!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 29 Aug 2013, 1:06 pm

The Jazz Bar scene in Spiderman 3 when Maguire was acting like a total s*unk trumpet!

The San Diego scene in The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

Those scenes are like, totally, you know, rad or something. Not 'sick' at all.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 29 Aug 2013, 1:32 pm

The Womble wrote:The Jazz Bar scene in Spiderman 3 when Maguire was acting like a total s*unk trumpet!

The San Diego scene in The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

Those scenes are like, totally, you know, rad or something. Not 'sick' at all.
thumbsup 
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 29 Aug 2013, 1:43 pm

Terminator 2 - the scene where John Connor doesn't get killed

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 29 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

Galted wrote:Terminator 2 - the scene where John Connor doesn't get killed
agree, trouble is it happens a lot through this movie as well. There are also too many times in the film whereby a scene goes by without him being punched in the face

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Aug 2013, 1:53 pm

rick_dagless wrote:
Galted wrote:Terminator 2 - the scene where John Connor doesn't get killed
agree, trouble is it happens a lot through this movie as well.  There are also too many times in the film whereby a scene goes by without him being punched in the face
I feel the same about the kid in the Rutger Hauer film "Blind Fury"

C'mon man, you have a sword, he doesn't...take 'im out!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 4:38 pm

Sharknado when he jumps down the throat of a twenty foot shark with a chain saw. It was such a balanced, scientifically well-researched composition before that, but ruined by this silliness.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Aug 2013, 4:49 pm

Four Weddings and a Funeral - Where they're stood in the rain and Grant is stuttering like Porky Pig and then's there's Andi McDowell's now legendary "is it raining, I hadn't noticed" line (What? The raindrops are bigger than your head you dippy bint) Anyway the whole thing was balls and a ruined a perfectly good film for me (I'd been watching "Terminator" and then switched over to catch the end of this cack)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 30 Aug 2013, 2:14 pm

Dave you should have combined the two.

"Hugh Grant?"

"Yes?"

BLAM! Splutch.

End.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 30 Aug 2013, 2:28 pm

The part in the Bourne Identity where Jason jumped about 40 feet down a spiral staircase using one of the baddies to cushion his fall. Was going great up to that point, and that just seemed like a cop out to get him out of trouble.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri 30 Aug 2013, 2:57 pm

The scene in Leon: The Professional when Leon (The Professional) starts doing John Wayne and Charlie Chaplin impressions to Mathilda. I don't know why but it just makes me want to shoot him. It doesn't ruin the film because it's an almost perfect film. It would be even more almost perfect without that scene though.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 3:44 pm

@STC

I thought it was a great scene as it demonstrated Leon's own child like qualities. He knew little or nothing of the outside world apart from a few cinema characters (the irony being that he didn't know one of the most iconic in Chaplin). I loved the look of horror when Matilda was pouting at him dressed up as Monroe, the look of joy on his face when he got Gene Kelly that turned back to horror when she said it was his turn followed by the look of disappointment when she didn't know John Wayne.

Don't like the white rasta sidekick of Stansfield though. He annoys me

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri 30 Aug 2013, 3:53 pm

DAVE667 wrote:@STC

I thought it was a great scene as it demonstrated Leon's own child like qualities. He knew little or nothing of the outside world apart from a few cinema characters (the irony being that he didn't know one of the most iconic in Chaplin). I loved the look of horror when Matilda was pouting at him dressed up as Monroe, the look of joy on his face when he got Gene Kelly that turned back to horror when she said it was his turn followed by the look of disappointment when she didn't know John Wayne.

Yeah I appreciate the scene has a point to it, it's just annoying, if you know what I mean. Actually, it doesn't annoy me as much as it used to. When I watched the film recently it wasn't too bad. Mind you, that was the 'Extended Version' which made me see the film in a slightly different way.

Stansfield still creeps me out a bit now. The scene where he corners Mathilda in the toilet is quite frightening, even if his accent does slip a bit when he's screaming at her. I'll let him off though because he does a great turn in that film.

I love the ending too. When Leon gives him the pin and smiles. Brilliant.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2013, 4:03 pm

STC wrote:

Yeah I appreciate the scene has a point to it, it's just annoying, if you know what I mean. Actually, it doesn't annoy me as much as it used to. When I watched the film recently it wasn't too bad. Mind you, that was the 'Extended Version' which made me see the film in a slightly different way.

Stansfield still creeps me out a bit now. The scene where he corners Mathilda in the toilet is quite frightening, even if his accent does slip a bit when he's screaming at her. I'll let him off though because he does a great turn in that film.

Doesn't he lose it again when talking to Internal Affairs..."I haven't got time for this Mickey Mouse bullsh!t"
Outside of that, it's one of my favourites of all time
"You free Tuesday?"
"Yeah, I'm free Tuesday"

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri 30 Aug 2013, 4:09 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
STC wrote:

Doesn't he lose it again when talking to Internal Affairs..."I haven't got time for this Mickey Mouse bullsh!t"
Outside of that, it's one of my favourites of all time
"You free Tuesday?"
"Yeah, I'm free Tuesday"
Yeah I think it might, it seems to be when he gets really intense. I've noticed that before in actors doing accents. I suppose it's hard to draw that emotion out from a real place but maintain the charade of an accent?

Listen to me, like I know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, great film, one of my favourites too.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down