The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

+30
The Saint
Breadvan
goldwolf
jimmyinthewell68
Stella
The Boss
TRUSSMAN66
Mike Selig
SirJohnnyEnglish
Cyril
Nakatomi Plaza
kingraf
hampo17
JDizzle
kingjohn7
seanmichaels
rIck_dAgless
superflyweight
Mind the windows Tino.
sodhat
ONETWOFOREVER
Mad for Chelsea
Galted
JuliusHMarx
Hero
Rowley
STC
bhb001
Adam D
Phileas
34 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty. - Page 3 Empty Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

Post by Phileas Tue 03 Sep 2013, 6:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

I am new to the forum but have read through a lot of the topics and I have to believe there are a lot of people on here telling porky pies. The amount of slating of top actors and actresses and classic films is unbelievable. Is it like the classic thing where if a film or actor becomes universally popular it is then uncool to like them?
So please feel free to use this post as your confessional.
If you still love the big movie star despite a couple of stinkers lets hear it? If you have that favourite classic movie but are afraid to admit to it scream it out? If you have sang the praises of some obscure foreign arthouse flick to keep up with the cool kids but actually think it is a bag of Poopie then now is the time to let it off your chest?

Phileas

Back to top Go down

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty. - Page 3 Empty Re: Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

Post by STC Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:16 pm

12 Angry Men is a fantastic film.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty. - Page 3 Empty Re: Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

Post by Guest Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:34 pm

Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Just started watching 12 Angry Men and have to admit I'm enjoying it thoroughly.
It is a brilliant film, currently occupies position number 6 in the Galted Top 16.  Goes to show what a solid script and good acting & directing can accomplish, no need for CGI or Heath Ledger.
THANKS, I didn't say I'd finished watching it did I?

Ending's bloody ruined now. steam 

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:49 pm

Love actually is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's terrible of course but makes me feel quite warm and fuzzy.

I quite like Music and Lyrics, which I really shouldn't (I'm meant to have decent taste in music at least...).

RotJ used to be my favourite of the original trilogy, and maybe still is.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 4:22 pm

I cried when Bambi's mother got shot..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Sep 2013, 4:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I cried when Bambi's mother got shot..
I came.....I may have been watching a slightly different version...one with naked ladies "wrestling" and it wasn't in cartoon form.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 05 Sep 2013, 4:44 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I cried when Bambi's mother got shot..
I came.....I may have been watching a slightly different version...one with naked ladies "wrestling" and it wasn't in cartoon form.
You're thinking of Bumbi

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 05 Sep 2013, 6:49 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Just started watching 12 Angry Men and have to admit I'm enjoying it thoroughly.
It is a brilliant film, currently occupies position number 6 in the Galted Top 16.  Goes to show what a solid script and good acting & directing can accomplish, no need for CGI or Heath Ledger.
THANKS, I didn't say I'd finished watching it did I?

Ending's bloody ruined now. steam 

Laugh 

Sorry, a bit clumsy of me - I remember spending most of the film expecting The Joker and a velociraptor to burst into the room, was quite a twist when it never happened.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu 05 Sep 2013, 6:56 pm

sodhat wrote:I defy anyone to watch Welcome To The Jungle starring The Rock and Johnny Knoxville to tell me that they didn't enjoy it, even a little bit.
Welcome to the jungle is the Rock and Sean William Scott. Can't remember the 1 with Knoxville in it's name. Both are great though aside from me being a pedantic D1ckhead.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 06 Sep 2013, 8:58 am

I'm no snob.

Love a 'switch your brain off' film just as much as a 'foreign' one. Just depends what mood I'm in. Started watching Taken 2 this morning. Perfect Friday morning stuff.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:21 am

i love AI and nearly cried at the end . there i said it and now its out there Sad 

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:27 am

I cried at the end of Seven Pounds.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:38 am

I cried a little at the end of Billy Elliott and The Champ (I was young).
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:48 am

I cried during "Boyz in the Hood" and "Phenomenon" with John Travolta

BOSS - You're thinking of "Walking Tall". I find The Rock to be quite a charismatic sort of fella. He knows his limitations and doesn't take himself too seriously

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:47 pm

WWWWHHHHHHHHAAATTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:17 pm

That's the 1 Dave. Cheers. 2 good shows and I do like The Rock in most movies.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:33 pm

DAVE667 wrote:I find The Rock to be quite a charismatic sort of fella. He knows his limitations and doesn't take himself too seriously
Sounds a bit like Steven Seagal apart from the bit about being charismatic, knowing his limitations and not taking himself too seriously.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Sep 2013, 1:59 pm

Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:I find The Rock to be quite a charismatic sort of fella. He knows his limitations and doesn't take himself too seriously
Sounds a bit like Steven Seagal apart from the bit about being charismatic, knowing his limitations and not taking himself too seriously.
Can't imagine Seagal dressed in pale blue tights playing the Tooth Fairy though. Then again, I'm blessed/cursed with a vivid imagination and the thought's made me want to claw my own mind out now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:51 am

I love the National treasure films
Never seen Goodfella's or any of the God fathers, nor want too either..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 08 Sep 2013, 2:02 pm

Breadvan wrote:I love the National treasure films
Never seen Goodfella's or any of the God fathers, nor want too either..
Goodfellas is the best film ever made. Godfather is worth a watch to anyone who has never watched... It's nowhere near as good as it's made out to be though, and can be long and dull at times.

I like the old Judge Dredd with Sylvester Stallone. That seems to be snarled at on here though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sun 08 Sep 2013, 2:25 pm

I think the old judge dredd is considered too 90s cheese. The sidekick in it is annoying but its ok. The new one is good, more rougher and not as many gimmicks as the old one.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 12:59 am

I love robin hood: men in tights and starship troopers

I think tom cruise is a good actor and aside from his beliefs i think he seems like a decent bloke.

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:22 am

I'm quite happy to watch The Shadow with Alec Baldwin when it's on TV, if there's nothing else good on.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:37 am

Starship troopers is an awesome movie.

I have one: I didn't hate Indiana Jone IV. I know you're meant to, I know the Alien ants are ridiculous and you're meant to say things like "George Lucas raped my childhood", and I know Shia Leboeuf is at his most annoying in it (although to be fair to him, I think he's been decent in a few things since), but... personally I thought it was light-hearted fun entertainment. Not great of course, but then I doubt even the first one stands up as a "great" film if you remove the nostalgia of when you first saw it... Anyway I enjoyed it well enough.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:05 am

Mike Selig wrote:I have one: I didn't hate Indiana Jone IV. I know you're meant to, I know the Alien ants are ridiculous and you're meant to say things like "George Lucas raped my childhood", and I know Shia Leboeuf is at his most annoying in it (although to be fair to him, I think he's been decent in a few things since), but... personally I thought it was light-hearted fun entertainment. Not great of course, but then I doubt even the first one stands up as a "great" film if you remove the nostalgia of when you first saw it... Anyway I enjoyed it well enough.
Agree with you, as usual, Mike, all of the Indiana Jones films were a bit of silly fun, I quite enjoyed the 4th. You're right about the early ones though, they do benefit from a massive dose of nostalgia.  Also not sure why all the hatred for Shia Leboeuf exists, admittedly I've only seen him in 3 films apart from this one (A Guide To Recogising Your Saints, Lawless and the second Wall Street being the other three) and can't say I really noticed him which is a probably a good thing for an actor. Certainly didn't get on my nerves in any.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 09 Sep 2013, 11:58 am

After we did the personal top 10 lists a year or so ago (Galted, you are underrating '12 Angry Men' - there are NOT 5 better films boxing ), we also had a bit of a thread about favourite 'popcorn' movies (i.e. those you can watch and enjoy lots of times). Can't remember all 10 I listed, but pretty sure I included the following :
Top Gun
Notting Hill
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

Not exacly cool films but all good fun in their different ways.

I also don't dislike 'Pretty Woman', mainly because Julia Roberts was HOT.

Have to though disagree with Mike on two points:
1 - Return of the Jedi is clearly the weakest of the three first Star Wars films. How could the Empire's immense, planet-destroying technology be beaten by a load of teddy bears armed with logs and ropes?
2 - The Curse of the Crystal Skulls was embarrassingly bad. Yes, the other Indiana Jones films are primarily a bit of fun, but they (at least ROTLA and The Last Crusade) are also good examples of adventure movies, whereas Crystal Skulls is a mess.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:24 pm

dummy_half wrote:

Have to though disagree with Mike on two points:
Good. All this agreeing with me is boring.

dummy_half wrote:
1 - Return of the Jedi is clearly the weakest of the three first Star Wars films. How could the Empire's immense, planet-destroying technology be beaten by a load of teddy bears armed with logs and ropes?
I agree objectively it's the weakest of the originals. I said it was my favourite, not the best movie, which are two entirely different things. I like Luke once he's stopped being whiny, and I don't seem to hate the teddy bears as much as most.

dummy_half wrote:
2 - The Curse of the Crystal Skulls was embarrassingly bad. Yes, the other Indiana Jones films are primarily a bit of fun, but they (at least ROTLA and The Last Crusade) are also good examples of adventure movies, whereas Crystal Skulls is a mess.
It's a fun adventure movie. Someone gets eaten alive by ants. At the end they escape a nuclear blast thanks to a fridge.
It's surely no more of a mess than Temple of Doom?
I maintain many people (not your good self) don't like it because it's a delayed sequel, clearly made just to make some money, and not a movie in the serious vein of what people are expected to enjoy nowadays.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 09 Sep 2013, 2:31 pm

Crystal Skull was OK, but not as good as the others. Amongst other things, the opening sequence is the weakest of the 4.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 09 Sep 2013, 11:05 pm

Mike

I think you actually touch on one of the weaknesses of Crystal Skulls - not that it was delayed too long, but that Harrison Ford just looks far too old...

My biggest problem with it though was that it didn't know whether it was Indiana Jones or Fox Mulder...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:05 pm

Nicolas Cage is one of my favourite actors and I like Will Smith too.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:23 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Nicolas Cage is one of my favourite actors and I like Will Smith too.
Careful, LC, I think this thread is for embarrassing admissions not for provoking other posters into violent acts.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:59 pm

Nicolas Cage and Will Smith would improve Citizen Kane greatly.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 10 Sep 2013, 2:10 pm

Very Happy 

I think that's the 606 v2 equivalent of a US postal worker going nuts and shooting people from the top of a water tower.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:20 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Nicolas Cage and Will Smith would improve Citizen Kane greatly.
To be honest, the old BBC test card would be an improvement on Citizen Kane...

Surely now all we need is for someone to defend Keanu Reeves* acting ability and we have reached the limit of this thread.

* He's been in some decent films, but his best performances are those that require him to stretch his acting range all the way from A about half way to B...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:18 pm

Speaking of Mr Keanu Reeves I still love watching both Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and their Bogus Journey.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:24 pm

Hibbz

That was my point really - KR was good enough in the Bill and Ted films, the first Matrix and Johnny Mnemonic, but none of them required him to really act.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:39 pm

I thought he did okay as the drunken abusive redkneck in The Gift...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:49 pm

My ex thought he was a good actor. When I asked for examples she was stuck for words and blurted out "Well, he's fit!"

Not doubting his appeal to the opposite sex but that's hardly a ringing endorsement for any possible Oscar nominations.

I may have to rewatch Twelve Monkeys and see why Brad Pitt bagged himself an Oscar nomination. Personally, the film bored me to tears...as does most of Gilliam's work

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:57 pm

I liked him in Point Break.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Sep 2013, 5:50 pm

"I am an F...B....I... agent!"

Possible one of the worst delivered lines in any film, the only thing to rival it would be Dolph Lundgren's "Skeletor" or "Let her go" in Masters of the Universe

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:01 pm

I enjoyed The Goonies..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:52 pm

Keanu Reeves is perfect in any film which requires his emotional range to be nothing else but moody (with the occasional bored thrown in) - such as the matrix. That is as good an endorsement I can make of his acting ability...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 10 Sep 2013, 7:02 pm

Mike Selig wrote:Keanu Reeves is perfect in any film which requires his emotional range to be nothing else but moody (with the occasional bored thrown in) - such as the matrix. That is as good an endorsement I can make of his acting ability...

Well, sir, I shall have to offer a differing opinion for once - he can do slow-witted and stoned (as in River's Edge) as well.  Not an emotion, I grant you, but it does form part of a range.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:16 pm

So when you guys all rave about this 12 Angry Men are you talking about the 1957 version or the 1997 remake?

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 11 Sep 2013, 12:21 pm

1957 version

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 11 Sep 2013, 1:03 pm

STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3