The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

+17
dyrewolfe
Luckless Pedestrian
sodhat
The Special Juan
Stella
JDizzle
hornbloweroafc
Galted
Cyril
ChequeredJersey
kingraf
Crimey
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Mind the windows Tino.
Adam D
Rowley
JuliusHMarx
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty. - Page 2 Empty Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:59 am

First topic message reminder :

Apologies for stealing this idea from the Films thread - but it's a good idea.

So come on, get off your high (crazy) horses and out of your (ebony and) ivory towers and own up to the the uncool stuff in your LP/cassette/CD/mp3/Edison cylinder collection. Remember - it's hip to be square.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty. - Page 2 Empty Re: Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:03 am

Stella wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Kings of Leon?
Cheers. I cannot name one of their songs.
Sex on fire.
That's a Kings of Leon song, not a personal announcement on my part.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty. - Page 2 Empty Re: Stop the snobbery and lets have some honesty.

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:08 am

Nothing wrong with liking Damien Rice, he's utterly brilliant. I've unfriended people for disliking him
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:11 am

He done a cracking cover of Radiohead's Creep.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Nothing wrong with liking Damien Rice, he's utterly brilliant. I've unfriended people for disliking him
When you consider my favourite bands are SLAYER, ENTOMBED, MISERY INDEX and MALEVOLENT CREATION you might find it more pertinent that I've listed him in the snobbery article

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 am

Don't know, musically they are fairly different to say the least but in terms of their outlooksminthink there might be similarities
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:12 am

I take it you haven't listened to much in the MALEVOLENT CREATION back catalogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:14 am

Can’t really cope with any of those acoustic whiners, be it Rice or any others of his ilk. The lot of em need to cheer up and plug their guitars in.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:19 am

Rowley wrote:Can’t really cope with any of those acoustic whiners, be it Rice or any others of his ilk. The lot of em need to cheer up and plug their guitars in.
FINALLY!!!!!!!!

Anyway, only really got into Rice after watching that film with Natalie Portman, Jude Law, Julia Roberts and Clive Owen (mind's gone blank and can't be bothered with Google). Anyway, "The Blower's Daughter" plays as Portman walks down the street at the end of the film and she looks mighty fine. I then heard the song somewhere else a while later, it reminded me of her and I picked the CD up for a couple of quid. Stuck it on the CD player one evening and the lady I'd somehow convinced to come back to mine was mightily impressed.

He can do no wrong now as he's responsible for securing those extra notches on my bedpost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:21 am

The Film is called Closer Dave.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:43 am

Rowley wrote:The Film is called Closer Dave.
Cheers...I've even got in on DVD somewhere but I think, like Jack Nicholson, my memory is so bad these days I can remember what I was ........must get that outdoor tap sorted!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:46 am

Was listening to a song called 'Words' by FR David the other night. Played it a few times actually. Think that's being honest.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:49 am

Is that the one that comedians used to take the mick out of by singing "W..w....w..wor...words, d...d....do...d..don't c...c....come e...e....e...e....eeasy...t..t...t..t..to me"?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:52 am

That's the song.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:14 am

DAVE667 wrote:Is that the one that comedians used to take the mick out of by singing "W..w....w..wor...words, d...d....do...d..don't c...c....come e...e....e...e....eeasy...t..t...t..t..to me"?
Do you only get 180 characters on Stutter?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:01 am

Stella wrote:Was listening to a song called 'Words' by FR David the other night. Played it a few times actually. Think that's being honest.
Bloody hell, that's a blast from the past. Might have to get it on iTunes and add to my collection of 80s cheese.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:30 pm

My wife likes Paloma Faith and some woman called Imelda May. On long car journeys we compromise, she puts HER music on and doesn't freak out if I dare suggest we listen to my stuff (we don't in any case - the beauty of compromise "Do as I say and...well, just do as I say") Anyhoo, I don't actually mind some of this stuff. Put it this way, it beats having to listen to Robbie Williams, Boyzone or Westlife.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:47 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Nothing wrong with liking Damien Rice, he's utterly brilliant. I've unfriended people for disliking him
When you consider my favourite bands are SLAYER, ENTOMBED, MISERY INDEX and MALEVOLENT CREATION you might find it more pertinent that I've listed him in the snobbery article
I bet that was your favourite ever post, Dave? You got to write four HEAVY METAL bands and all in CAPITALS.

Anyway, I have three KATE BUSH songs on my ipod.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Wuthering Heights is one of the best songs of all time, imho.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Stella wrote:Wuthering Heights is one of the best songs of all time, imho.
That's one of them, Stella.

thumbsup 

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:36 am

I have 'Love of the Loved' by Cilla Black, 'The Sign' by Ace of Base and 'Boys Boys Boys' by Sabrina on iTunes. Oh, and 'Georgy Girl' by the Seekers.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:14 am

Great.I was going to ask people if anyone else has a penchant for Prog.I know that from time to time, I certainly indulge myself with rolling my sleeve up, tapping my arm and injecting myself with a pure dose of ~Genesis. Unfortunately I keep some pretty bad company here,Patrick Bateman from American Psycho (although he did like the Phil stuff,and I'm firmly in the Peter camp)and ,even worse,Jeremy Clarkson.

I bought something even more embarrassing the other day-"Smash Hits "Rave!" ", a compilation of the only kind of dance music that I can get my head around-the stuff I knew about when I were a lad. Chad Jackson- Hear the drummer(Get Wicked),This Beat is Technotronic, that kind of stuff.Although it does feature De La Soul and they are objectively fantastic.
(I think i'll skip Candy Flip's version of Straberry Fields forever.)

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:16 am

I like new Coldplay a lot more than old Coldplay. And don't really like the Smiths
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:20 am

DAVE667 wrote:
Adam D wrote:I like Bon Jovi.

And Steps.
I'd like to see bon jovi (note the lower case) pushed down a flight of steps

Reminds me of when Jon Bon Jovi played a "secret" gig in Cardiff Castle some fifteen years ago.One lucky punter bagged himself a plum spot on a stairway, overlooking Jovi.There was no security and he shouted "You're 5hit " at him throughout. Rarely have I heard such a satisfying tale of wish fulfilment.Rarely have I so wished that I'd had that idea first.

Last edited by andygf on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:20 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : swear filter)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:24 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:I like new Coldplay a lot more than old Coldplay. And don't really like the Smiths

I like the inference that it is somehow cool to like the old Coldplay. And you don't like The Smiths?You need to go out less.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:27 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I have 'Love of the Loved' by Cilla Black, 'The Sign' by Ace of Base and 'Boys Boys Boys' by Sabrina on iTunes. Oh, and 'Georgy Girl' by the Seekers.

any excuse to promote the Biscuits, -(in reference to Georgy Girl and The Smiths). Rowley, these guys love walking in Yorkshire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQMW_pj5JmA

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:32 am

andygf wrote:Great.I was going to ask people if anyone else has a penchant  for Prog.I know that from time to time, I certainly indulge myself with  rolling my sleeve up, tapping my arm and injecting myself with a pure dose of ~Genesis. Unfortunately I keep some pretty bad company here,Patrick Bateman from American Psycho (although he did like the Phil stuff,and I'm firmly in the Peter camp)and ,even worse,Jeremy Clarkson.

I like my prog too.

huge Marillion fan back in the day.

Quite like a lot of Spocks Beard too.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:50 am

I went to see Genesis live in 1981. Well past their prog days of course, but I still listen to the Gabriel-era stuff.

I bought the recent Agnetha Faltskog CD. (And the fact that I still buy physical CDs will no doubt see me labelled as a dinosaur by some of you young whippersnappers).

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:00 am

Should never need an excuse to promote or post the biscuits Andy, anyone who cannot appreciate Dickie Davies eyes or All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit really does not take enough joy in life.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:18 am

Yes indeed!
"There was one in the gang who had Scaletrix/And because of that he thought he was better than you/Every day after school we'd go round his house,hoping to compete/In some kind of championship/But it always took a million billion hours to set the track up/and even when we did, the thing never seemed to work."

A latter favourite is also "We all knew someone in primary school /Who owned a very powerful magnet"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:27 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:I went to see Genesis live in 1981. Well past their prog days of course, but I still listen to the Gabriel-era stuff.

I bought the recent Agnetha Faltskog CD. (And the fact that I still buy physical CDs will no doubt see me labelled as a dinosaur by some of you young whippersnappers).

I knew that some proggers would get smoked out! Marillion must have loved the "Selling England by the Pound" album as they always reminded me of that album.

I watched a feature on Sky called "The Genesis Songbook" and was actually piqued to hear their "Calling All Station", which by the law of diminishing returns, by rights has to be their biggest stinker as it featured the singer from Stilskin after Collins left.I did feel fairly ashamed with myself(having this thought) though in my defence.

A friend once saw Marillion live and Fish grabbed someone in the front row by the shirt, held him by one hand in mid-air and sang a song right in his face.That's my idea of an awful nightmare.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:40 am

Top five Genesis albums.
1. selling England by the pound.
2.nursery cryme.
3.foxtrot.
4. the lamb lies down on broadway.
5.trick of the tail.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:44 am

Think I've mentioned this on another, similar thread but here are my "guilty pleasures".

Watermark - Enya
2112 - Rush
Savage Garden - Savage Garden
Look Sharp & Joyride - Roxette
Momentary Lapse of Reason & The Division Bell - Pink Floyd
Pyromania & Hysteria - Def Leppard
Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette
Pocket Full of Kryptonite - The Spin Doctors
Big Ones - Aerosmith

Actually, come to think of it, about 75% of my music collection would probably be considered "uncool".  Broken Record Quite a bit of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Iron Maiden in there too.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:43 am

Those bands are never uncool to a South Welshman, dyrewolfe.Indeed that's the most recent era that's allowed.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:21 am

I forgot to mention I also own Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby and Arnee and the Terminators I'll Be Back on vinyl.  Shocked 

If that doesn't send my "Cool Factor" into negative figures, I don't know what will...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:18 am

[quote="andygf"]
JuliusHMarx wrote:A friend once saw Marillion live and Fish grabbed someone in the front row by the shirt, held him by one hand in mid-air and sang a song right in his face.That's my idea of an awful nightmare.

He was much nicer when I met him - he made me a cup of tea!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:50 pm

I still like a few Backstreet Boys tracks. Only from the 'Millenium' album onwards.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:32 am

I feel ashamed about being ashamed for liking "Simon and Garfunkel".Great lyrics, everything top notch, and yet when I think of their pious faces and naff polo neck jumpers and rubbish hair, I kind of wish they looked cool.Or that I didn't like them.

I have never "got" arctic Monkeys and, although I took pride in despising Suede for twenty years on the basis of being southern jessies and high camp,I now think they're a classic band.But I wouldn't dream of telling anyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:38 am

Adam D wrote:
andygf wrote:Great.I was going to ask people if anyone else has a penchant  for Prog.I know that from time to time, I certainly indulge myself with  rolling my sleeve up, tapping my arm and injecting myself with a pure dose of ~Genesis. Unfortunately I keep some pretty bad company here,Patrick Bateman from American Psycho (although he did like the Phil stuff,and I'm firmly in the Peter camp)and ,even worse,Jeremy Clarkson.

I like my prog too.

huge Marillion fan back in the day.

Quite like a lot of Spocks Beard too.

Adam , I don't know that band,having only heard King Crimson Yes and not much else prog, but I did see Porcupine Tree in 96 in Hull, they were terrific, they knock Muse into a cocked hat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun May 11, 2014 6:30 pm

Super idea for a thread, and I've probably got loads of uncool stuff.  I blame being part of the generation I am ('80s child).

I've got loads of '80s pop stuff - Wham!, Duran, Madonna, T'Pau, Deacon Blue, Billy Idol, Adam Ant and the '80s poodle rock - Bon Jovi, Poison, Cinderella etc  I also own some Kylie although I actually liked her "indie" album....in fact I'm not really sure what I have that IS cool...ah, who wants to be with the In-crowd anyway?  Laugh

I do have "Wig" by the B-52s on 7" picture disc...that was a novelty record.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:04 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11961689/Phil-Collins-comeback-Singer-says-he-is-no-longer-retired.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:20 am

McFly - Now that band rocks! They're my guilty pleasure.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:48 am

Stella wrote:Wuthering Heights is one of the best songs of all time, imho.

You utter b*stard. That should come with warning label.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2