The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oldham Athletic Thread

+3
BlueCoverman
The_Enigma
hornbloweroafc
7 posters

Go down

Oldham Athletic Thread Empty Oldham Athletic Thread

Post by hornbloweroafc Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:02 am

A new thread on everyone's favourite second team (from when Joe Royle, Premiership years) the mighty Oldham Athletic FC! Yahoo 

Tipped by many to go down this season with a new young inexperienced manager and team but I think we will hold are own.

New young manager Lee Johnson as added a lot of pace to the side this year and as got them playing some good attacking football. Here's hoping to a season in the play offs, although realistically a top ten finish would be brilliant and we can build on for next season.

Did anyone else watch the OAFC v Preston match last night on sky?

How the hell did we not win that! Dominated possession with pace and always looking to attack but we just couldn't score (apart from consolation at the end).

I believe if we can cut out the silly mistakes (see Preston's to goals) we will give this division a good go and surprise a few this year.

God I hope we can get out of this league, been in the third tier for 17 years years! Sad 
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Oldham Athletic Thread Empty Re: Oldham Athletic Thread

Post by The_Enigma Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:28 pm

Manage to catch spells of last night's game and you were all over them! Preston struggled to get any kind of control of the game, let alone get the ball out of their own half following their first goal, if you hadn't had scored so late, you could of easily snatched a point.

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:58 pm

cheers for feedback.

There has only been one game so far were a team has outplayed us and that was 0-1 to Walsall at our place.

The problem at the moment is we haven't really turned these performances into 3pts too often. I'm not worried for once, I think it will click once the team get used to playing together. It's only a young team but there are some good players in the team.

I don't think Tarkowski (centre half and goalscorer last night) will be with us much longer. He has been outstanding so far this season! Rumours where Huddersfield where looking to buy him before transfer deadline.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:55 pm

Walsall are a very underrated team with a fantastic manager, half of their squad is made up of academy players with the rest coming from divisions down below, who'd probably never get the opportunity to play at the current level but their management always get the best out of them. James Baxendale will turn a few heads this season, they're also a good footballing side who deserve more attention than they get, I'm actually looking forward to their visit on Saturday.

With my local side currently playing in League One, I try to pay as much detail as possible to the teams around us and I'm confident that Oldham will have nothing to worry about this season. Although a young side, they'll have that naivety to have a go against the bigger sides in the league and will cause a few problems. It's still very early, but Johnson will get his luck of the green and these consistent performances will turn into picking up some decent results. Good luck for the rest of the season OK 

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Mon 13 Oct 2014, 12:58 pm

Well a new season and a new team but this time things are looking alot better.

Johnston is still looking for the team to play their way out of this league and so far it has been impressive. Great 2-1 win against Walsall on Saturday sees us sit 7th in the league! We are currently on a 10 game unbeaten run with a tight defence. James Wilson has been outstanding at centre half and unfortunately for us can see him going next transfer window. Brian Wlison at right back has also been a standout who we got from Colchester in the summer.
In midfield Mike Jones is getting better and better every game and got a well deserved goal at the weekend. Excellent box to box player. Carl Winchester has been a revelation for us so far this season. He came through the ranks and has been on the verge last couple of seasons but didn't look like he would make it. But this season he as eventually had a chance and took it! Also Jonathan Forte (from Southampton) has been our best player and biggest threat and top goalscorer. The worry is he has dodgy knees and rumour he doesn't train all the time (a bit like Ledley King). He needs to be fit for us to push play offs place (ill be happy with top 10 the build the following season).

Up front we have been a bit light. We have brought in Poleon from Leeds who has the pace but needs time to settle. Danny Philiskirk has been playing well last couple of games (scoring 2 goals) in the no.10 role and with more goals will be a class player. He was a youth player here before Chelsea bough him so must have something about him.

ANyway things are for once looking up on and off the pitch, new side stand being built (frame work now up) and should be ready for promotion next season Very Happy Very Happy
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 13 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

Not surprised that you have been impressed with Brian Wilson hornblower, he was our club captain and most Col U fans were sorry to see him go when he was out of contract in the summer.

I see that you have not included Jabo Ibehre in your list of players up front! Oldham have just taken him from us on a three month loan, most league 1 fans will know what he brings to a team as he has been around at this level for ages. Never been a prolific goalscorer but very strong, holds the ball up well and works tirelessly. I hope he does well for you, I don't think we will see him back in a Col U shirt again as he asked to be released when we had a change of manager earlier in the season.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Mon 13 Oct 2014, 4:48 pm

I was surprised you let him go (or did he want a to leave?) with him being your club captain and I have always been impressed with him. I as many latics fans were pleased we got him and he hasn't disappointed. He's been part of a solid defence this season.

I was going to mention him but I missed our game on Saturday so didn't see him play. Apparently he did ok when he came on and as you said very strong and held the ball up well. I was surprised he wasn't catching at yours as everytime he's played against us he always looked dangerous and caused problems. I hope he does well for us and turns into the 20 goal a season striker we all need in this god forsaken league!

Good luck to you guys, you seem to have got a couple of wins recently.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 13 Oct 2014, 5:58 pm

No we absolutely did not want to let him go but his contract was up for renewal and you offered him a much more lucrative deal than we did and one that we could not compete with. So fair play to Brian he took the better offer, as would most people in whatever walk of life they are in.

Actually Jabo was a big favourite at Col U with pretty much everybody. Tony Humes the current Colchester manager said on BBC Essex on Saturday that after Joe Dunne left the manager's position some six games into this season, Jabo came to see him and said that he wanted a new club and a new challenge. There is always two sides to every story though, Jabo may well have a different version! He will never score you 20 goals in a season I'm afraid, I think the best he has ever done in his career is 11 with Leyton Orient, but he will cause problems for opposition defences as you know and he will create space and chances for other players.

Thanks, we came from behind to win 2-1 at home against Fleetwood on Saturday which has enabled us to sneak out of the bottom four where I hope we will stay! Good luck to you too.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 13 Oct 2014, 10:59 pm

I was gutted when we (Crawley) let Mike Jones leave in the summer. Seems like he's made a real impact for you. His shots seem to be attracted to the crossbar but he was one of our best players last season!

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:54 pm

An impressive win for Oldham last night and Jabo on the scoresheet as well!

A good win for us as well after going 1-0 down to Chesterfield after 55 seconds! Two goals in the second half earned us all 3 points with a brilliant winner from Freddie Sears in the 87th minute.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:57 am

Mike Jones as an good engine on him and is a decent footballer. Settled in quickly and looks to be a very good player.

Great result for us which now makes it 12 games unbeaten and sneaking up the league under the radar. Must admit though Coventry were poor or maybe we made them look poor Very Happy

Jabo scored a good heard for the 4th and maybe this is one of many for him!

Another good result for you. Chesterfield are no mugs and looked good last weekend when we drew 1-1 at theirs.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 29 Oct 2014, 12:45 pm

Another good win for you at the weekend and Jabo with an assist for the first goal!

A very decent point for us at Swindon stretching our unbeaten run to 4 games and moving us up to 14th in the table.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Tue 05 May 2015, 4:38 pm

Well another season as fizzled out after looking good upto Xmas.

Its been a strange season, from looking at Play offs to relegation, losing our Manager to Barnsley, having a new stand built (should be ready for start of new season) and now employing Darren Kelly (who?) as our new manager.
We was told we have had 120+ applicants, the best ever and a guy who coached the U9-16 for York and Sunderland (for 3 months!) is who we get as manager! This was done a week after season tickets went on sale for the new stand. It hasn't gone down well with most of the fans, even some cancelling their ST's for the new stand and some not renewing at all.
And to top if off he apparently posted a picture on is Twitter Feed of his mum and Michael McGuinness (Irish republican Sinn Féin politician) calling him a #Legend!

Roll on our 19th consecutive season in League 1 come August! At least next season will be mainly Northern for once!

hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 20 Jul 2016, 7:16 pm

dark times ahead for lactic fans i fear. big favorites for going down for me and most fans ive spoke with have now boycotted the home games until corny sells up (by which time the damage has probably been done)

hope you lot stay up but cant see it, for those who dont know up untill a week ago or so they didnt have a manager and only had 5 senior players on the books

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Fri 22 Jul 2016, 4:24 pm

I was fearing the worst at the end of the season especially when Shez left but now feel a little bit optimistic we may stay up.  New manager in Robinson who is highly regarded as a good coach (was with Northern Ireland at the Euros), just hope his man management skills are up to it.  He as brought in a few players now but I worry that with them on loan or 1 year contract we will have to do the same again next season (2017/18).  Doesn't give much optimism for the future.
We got Peter Clarke from Bury who I hated as an opposition player but always wanted him in our team.  Bury fans not too happy he as gone either as he was Player of the year for them).  Still think we need a Striker, winger and midfielder to make a decent team but from what I've seen/heard signs look good.  Players so far seem happy with the training although we have had less time to gel as a team.

I would say it split at the moment between fans.  A protest group as appeared but is badly run.  One of the reasons they are unhappy with the club is lack of communication, yet the protest group is now the same (lack of communication on what they want). laughing I think we all agree the club is badly run and something needs to be done, but not sure what apart from selling up to an oil rich billionaire Very Happy

I just hope by the time the squad is settled and fit it isn't too far into the season.

OH WHEN THE BLUES.......................................
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Mon 31 Oct 2016, 12:40 pm

After god knows how many years looks like we are going to leave League 1. Unfortunately it will be relegation! IF we do go down expect us to carry on dropping like Tranmere and Stockport.

Although we lost again on Sat against Rochdale in the "El Crappio" derby the only enjoyment we OAFC fans had was with a Boris Johnson steward:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/boris-johnson-lookalike-rochdale-steward-12100504

hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 31 Oct 2016, 8:19 pm

Good stuff.
Gotta have a laugh.

Be a shame to see Oldham go down.

Always remember Oldham beating us at Villa Park to end our hopes of the league.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Mon 07 Nov 2016, 1:40 pm

Apologies for that but we needed to win our last 3 games to have a chance of staying up. We beat you, Liverpool and Southampton last game of season with Palace failing to beat Arsenal. Very Happy

The downside was giving the title to united mad

Anyway we're in the hat for the FA cup 2nd round tonight. Hoping for a local non league team at home and then Utd or City in 3rd round for the much need cash! We could always draw Liverpool again and beat them laughing
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 07 Nov 2016, 7:29 pm

you got non league, lincon not too far away aswell. but you are away. should still get through to 3rd round

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Tue 08 Nov 2016, 9:58 am

Yeah decent draw, should be a good atmosphere.

Hoping it may be on Tele for extra income but think there is a couple of other ties that will be picked.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 08 Nov 2016, 10:13 am

hornbloweroafc wrote:Yeah decent draw, should be a good atmosphere.

Hoping it may be on Tele for extra income but think there is a couple of other ties that will be picked.

yeah it i were to guess itd be bolton v shef united as the "big" game of the second round, then it be giant killing ties like westfields/curzon v bury/wimbledon and stourbridge/whitehawk v Northampton

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Thu 12 Jan 2017, 4:19 pm

Well after the worse first half to a season we have sacked Robinson and gone back to John Sheridan again! He saved us from relegation last season when we was 8 pts adrift before moving to Notts County (for more money I believe).

Hoping he can achieve the same as last year and save us but the squad is worse than last years.

Onwards and upwards..........In Shez we trust (as long as he stays longer this time).
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Fri 08 Sep 2017, 4:21 pm

Well Shezza did it again last year saving us from relegation to enjoy 20 years in league one!

Back to the now and what a disaster!!!!!!!!! played 6 (including league cup), lost 6. I'm ignoring the EFL Checkatrade crap as it s not even worth it anymore with U23 teams in it. Thats another story!

Only named 3 subs in the 2-1 loss at Blackpool (I actually left early for the first time ever after 16mins, 2-0 and went back to the bars). We have Ollie Banks or W A NK Sas he should be called doing nothing in midfield, an aging defence with no legs, no decent keeper and strikers who couldn't score if their life depended on it.

All sounds doom and gloom until our "Glorious" chairman, Simon Corney, announces a potential investor, Abdallah Lemsagam, Dubai based Football agent.
Next minute, Sheridan signs 3 players on deadline day and then we announce 3 foriegn players (Believe its Addallah's owned players all in the squad for Saturday (Fleetwood away). we also now have a reserve team again, which believe is to trial more of his players.

It's never a dull day as an OAFC........Actually it is, 21 years now in this league!!!
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 14 Mar 2019, 5:20 pm

Well Scholes lasted a long time.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 18 Mar 2019, 5:50 pm

Duty281 wrote:Well Scholes lasted a long time.

from everything im hearing the new owner is a bit of a crank. ive even heard that for one game he was letting his son pick the team. scholes went in thinking he'd have control but quickly learnt this wasn't going to be the case. protests are organised this weekend against the owner

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down