The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will England be brave enough to pick the in form team for the World Cup ?

4 posters

Go down

Will England be brave enough to pick the in form team for the World Cup ? Empty Will England be brave enough to pick the in form team for the World Cup ?

Post by Kenny Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:04 pm

Simple question really , do you think England coach Steve McNamarra will be brave enough to pick the in form players for the up coming World Cup or will we get the usual faces in the squad ?

I ask because for me one of our best players over the last few years Gareth Ellis has imo had a very average season as has Gareth Hock and they don't deserve to be picked ahead of say Danny Kirmond of Wakefield or Brett Ferres of Huddersfield ...i think Wigans Liam Farrell should get one of the starting second row places also then there are the Burgess brothers who are tearing things up down under .

We have lost the best player in this seasons Superleague in Danny Brough because the coach wont pick him as well , so we have basically told Rangi Chase ' your playing ' which imo isn't the way to get the best out of him .

Who should be picked ? Will the NRL guys get in ? How many Burgess brothers will be picked ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Will England be brave enough to pick the in form team for the World Cup ? Empty Re: Will England be brave enough to pick the in form team for the World Cup ?

Post by The Beast Fri 13 Sep 2013, 9:03 pm

The short answer to the initial question I think is no but not so much through a lack of bravery but IMO McNamara has been trying to use a core of players to build a team with consistent selection, Chase I think is an example of this. Gutted about Brough he has been outstanding this last 2-3 years, kicking superb underated passing the running skills. 

I agree with your comments on the second row Hock for me is a massive talent but concedes needless penalties, like you Farrell would be my first choice, I'd pick Ellis he is a class act.

I do not want to see Sinfield at half-back great player but does not threaten the defence with ball in hand at International level IMO. That said assuming Chase plays I am really not sure who would partner him?? Widdop?? not convinced but not sure who else, an organiser with a great kicking game (back to Sinfield!!).

Sam Burgess for me would be nailed on, perhaps Luke, too early for George & Tom. I would have James Graham in my team and if he was fit Jack Reed.

What a boost if they could win the World Cup I can understand what McNamara is trying to do but in honesty do we have the world class half backs, centres or the depth of NZ or particulary Aus?  I hope I am wrong but I can see us winning.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Will England be brave enough to pick the in form team for the World Cup ? Empty Re: Will England be brave enough to pick the in form team for the World Cup ?

Post by Luke Sat 14 Sep 2013, 2:47 am

No.

Tend to agree with Beast's comments, and to be fair McNamara is damnded either way, if he picks form players then it would be why are you picking players that haven't played together, if he picks core than its why aren't you picking form.

I've never wanted Chase in the side, but he while stick with it now, and who else is there? Myler I don't think is ready or good enough yet against the top teams., McGuire been injured for a while and just got back, after that there's no one really. Think Sinfield should be played at LF, O'Loughlin SR, Widdop not sure and to be honest I'd put Tomkins at SO if Chase wasn't in the team and Myler or McGuire are, Yeaman,Ellis should not be in the squad. Sam & Luke Burgess should be in, Reed yes. So my back 3 would be SR O'Loughlin. & Farrell, LF Sinfield. Burgess, Houghton Crabtree front row, Myler & Tomkins half back, Charnley, Watkins Reed Hall 3/4's Widdop FB.
But that is not any where near the side that's picked.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat 14 Sep 2013, 10:17 am

The starting 13 i expect to be picked is

S Tomkins

Charnley Cudjoe Atkins Hall

Sinfield Chase

S Burgess Roby Graham
Ellis Farrell
Westwood

but for me Kirmond instead of Ellis, Houghton instead of Roby ,O'loughlin (if fit) instead of Westwood
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:46 pm

Kenny wrote:The starting 13 i expect to be picked is

S Tomkins

Charnley Cudjoe Atkins Hall

Sinfield Chase

S Burgess Roby Graham
Ellis Farrell
Westwood

but for me Kirmond instead of Ellis, Houghton instead of Roby ,O'loughlin (if fit) instead of Westwood
I would go with Matt Smith and Widdop as the half backs. My 3/4 line would be Charnley, Watkins, Cudjoe and Hall. I would be tempted to have Zack Hardaker over Tomkins at full back, as his defence is a lot better in my opinion i would have a starting front row of Mossop, Roby, and Graham. Second row Westwood and Sam Burgess and Sean O'loughlin at loose forward.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down