Mayweather Finally Admits to Cherry Picking

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mayweather Finally Admits to Cherry Picking

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 1:53 am

Article from Yahoo Sport with nailed on quotes from Floyd admitting to cherry picking.

It's official now so the Flamos .i.e. Truss can now stop defending the indefensible.

Mayweather admits cashing in on 'handpicked' opponents

Floyd Mayweather says his undefeated record has been partly built on the backs of handpicked opponents who didn't always provide the toughest fights but did help him become the world's best paid athlete.

"Sometimes they say, 'Well, Floyd Mayweather's opponents was handpicked.' That's a good thing," Mayweather said during a conference call with reporters to hype Saturday's world title fight against Mexico's Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.
"I commend my team ... when I sit back and I think about my career, I say 'you know what? I had a cool career. I didn't take any punishment'.

"If they say these guys were handpicked, they was handpicked to make $40 and $50 and $60 million, then you know what? Keep handpicking them. If they're going to keep paying, keep handpicking them."

Mayweather, who Forbes magazine lists as the world's highest paid athlete, has been criticized for dodging a potential mega fight with Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao. The two have tried several times over the past few years to get the deal done for what would likely be the most lucrative fight in boxing history. But each time negotiations broke down when they couldn't come to terms on a variety of issues, including drug testing and share of the revenue and purses. Pacquiao's camp blames Mayweather for the holdup, saying even when they agreed to all his demands -- including drug testing -- the American would come up with new increased demands to scuttle the blockbuster fight.

"Floyd's statement speaks for itself. Now we know why he won't give the fans the fight they want most," Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach told AFP on Tuesday.

The fight with Alvarez is the second in Mayweather's six-bout, 30-month contract with American cable network Showtime that could pay him more than $200 million. After Mayweather beat Robert Guerrero in May, he said he wanted to fight again in September - marking the first time since 2007 he will be in the ring twice in a calendar year.

Mayweather's guaranteed purse for the Alvarez fight is reported to be a record $41 million which would surpass the previous record of $32 million he received for fighting Guerrero. Organizers are also hoping that this fight will eclipse the 2.44 million record pay-per-view sales and sales of more than $130 million racked up by the Mayweather and Oscar de la Hoya fight in 2007. Mayweather will also get a cut of the pay-per-view money on top of his guaranteed purse.

Mayweather, who is undefeated in 44 fights, says he will take nothing for granted when he faces World Boxing Council and World Boxing Association super welterweight champ Alvarez in a 12-round showdown of unbeaten fighters at the MGM Grand Hotel.

"I am not overlooking this guy," said Mayweather. "In Mexico he is a young rock star and everybody that they put in front of him he was able to go out there and do his job."

"I am pushing myself to the limit right now."

The last time Mayweather stopped an opponent inside the distance was two years ago and that came when Victor Ortiz lowered both his hands and was looking at the referee for a ruling. Mayweather seized the moment and hit Ortiz with a combination of punches that floored Ortiz.

Since then, Mayweather has won 12-round decisions over Miguel Cotto in May 2012 and Guerrero.
Saturday's fight will be contested at 152 pounds with Alvarez's super welterweight titles on the line. Alvarez (42-0-1) is a 154-pound champion and Mayweather usually fights at 147 pounds.

The 23-year-old Alvarez says he believes he has the perfect fight plan to register one of the biggest upsets in boxing history.
"I am going to follow my game plan and I am going to fight my fight," he said. "I am not going to allow him to fight his fight. I have a game plan."

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Re: Mayweather Finally Admits to Cherry Picking

Post by Union Cane on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 7:03 am

The way I read it he is saying "If people say opponents are handpicked let them say it", which is not the same as admitting it. Pactard.

Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 7:21 am

"Sometimes they say, 'Well, Floyd Mayweather's opponents was handpicked.' That's a good thing,"

The journalist is very clear in his interpretation of Floyd's words.

BTW you can't just write any old thing, put it in inverted commas and then attribute it to Mayweather as a quote.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 7:41 am

Mayweather has admitted numerous times he hand picks his opponents. These are not the first quotes to come from him to confirm that.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 7:42 am

I'm sorry mate, I thought I had made it quite clear that the part in inverted commas was my interpretation of what FM was saying, I obviously didn't make it clear enough.

"If they say these guys were handpicked, they was handpicked to make $40 and $50 and $60 million, then you know what? Keep handpicking them. If they're going to keep paying, keep handpicking them."

That was a direct quote, in which he appears to be saying (my interpretation this time) "Call them handpicked if you like, I will count the money".

Good of impartial old Freddie Roach to chip in with a comment, although he is careful to not actually say anything with any meaning to be inferred by the reader.

I suppose the way you interpret the interview is dependant on your agenda. I have no axe to grind, so took it at face value.

Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 7:49 am

I am with Union on this my own interpretation is it is a fighter exasperated with the constant accusations just kind of saying, if this is cherry picking it can't be all bad if people are still willing to pay me $50m a pop for it.

Got to say Freddie Roach's comment about not giving the fans the fights they want to see are odd in a week where to my eyes Floyd is doing just that.

Rowley

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 7:55 am

Union Cane wrote:I'm sorry mate, I thought I had made it quite clear that the part in inverted commas was my interpretation of what FM was saying, I obviously didn't make it clear enough.

That was a direct quote, in which he appears to be saying (my interpretation this time) "Call them handpicked if you like, I will count the money".

Good of impartial old Freddie Roach to chip in with a comment, although he is careful to not actually say anything with any meaning to be inferred by the reader.

I suppose the way you interpret the interview is dependant on your agenda. I have no axe to grind, so took it at face value.

If it's not an exact quote or paraphrasing I would use single inverted commas.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 7:57 am

I'm bored of this now.

Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 7:57 am

Good comeback though, well done.

Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:00 am

Rowley wrote:I am with Union on this my own interpretation is it is a fighter exasperated with the constant accusations just kind of saying, if this is cherry picking it can't be all bad if people are still willing to pay me $50m a pop for it.

Got to say Freddie Roach's comment about not giving the fans the fights they want to see are odd in a week where to my eyes Floyd is doing just that.
My interpretation is, why would Floyd take on legacy fights when he can earn almost as much money not having to take any punishment in fights stacked in his favour.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:02 am

Union Cane wrote:Good comeback though, well done.

I thought the pedantry of the response would appeal to you.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:04 am

My interpretation is that he is just saying he is making money and lots of it by facing fighters the fans deem unworthy.

Obviously De La Hoya, Hatton, Corrales, Hernandez, Alvarez were simply handpicked because their not good or never were.

Yeh okay.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:21 am

If he is saying that then he is not telling us something we didn't already know, but if i am honest he would be an idiot not take the line of least resistance to a huge fortune. Its easy to say he has dodged the toughest fights but its his health and future on the line and to have had 44 possibly easier fights than others would have liked without taking much of a beating in any of them will be much better for him compared to being in his 60s slurring or shaking while struggling to tell stories of the wars he had with other great fighters.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:26 am

To my mind, Union is spot on. He is just saying that if you call picking the fight that will make him the most money as handpicked, then he hand picks them. It is not like he is trying to knock out tin cans while waiting for world champions to retire so that he can get gifted a title. The only place it falls down is that fighting Pac Man three years ago would have more than fulfilled that criterion.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:35 am

bhb001 wrote:To my mind, Union is spot on. He is just saying that if you call picking the fight that will make him the most money as handpicked, then he hand picks them. It is not like he is trying to knock out tin cans while waiting for world champions to retire so that he can get gifted a title. The only place it falls down is that fighting Pac Man three years ago would have more than fulfilled that criterion.

The fights he took didn't make him the most money. He could have made more . More risk = more reward in business.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:44 am

Personally I thought the first quote meant "I keep beating these guys so easily everyone thinks they're handpicked LOL".

The second bit fairly obviously means they are handpicking whoever will make them the most money.

Seen as I'm defending Mayweather I thought I may as well throw a lol in there.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:06 am

Mayweather's never hidden from this fact -- which makes it even more baffling when posters defend him.

Floyd is in boxing to take as few punches as possible for as much money as he can make. Those are admirable and intelligent objectives; he sees his uncle and father -- both of whom wound up broke and affected from the punches they took -- and has chosen a different path. Since the Castillo rematch, he's targeted names that will allow him to fight on PPV. He isn't looking to take on the toughest challenges -- his main criteria when selecting an opponent is: who is the lowest risk for the highest reward.

This is the reason he's fought marquee names on the downside (Cotto, Mosley) or fighters campaiging above their best weight (Marquez, Hatton). Failing that, he'll take a guy with an unbeaten record (who is marketable). The De la Hoya fight can't be held against him -- Oscar was in the box seat for that one (he thought Floyd would be too small for him -- a mistake he repeated with Pacquiao).

Mayweather hasn't selected Alvarez because he's looking for a challenge. PPV buys from the Guerrero fight were poor and so he needed a marketable opponent.

This method does, however, preclude him from being rated with the greatest fighters of all time (we're talking top 10). He's one of the most talented and successful fighters in history, no doubt, especially when you consider how relatively undamaged (physically) he is, but you can't have it both ways.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:16 am

This thread isn't going to end well when the beefster sees it.

Anyway, if you want to take this as an admission of cherry picking, then fine, but you've twisted his words and taken them a wee bit out of context in order to do so, in my eyes.

88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:17 am

Oscar was on the slide too when he fought Mayweather. If he still had 12 rounds in him he could have won that fight.

Last edited by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:17 am

The guy is a 5hitbag. This is a link from Ben Dirs' piece on him on the BBC website:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130304/OPINION03/303040334

seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:24 am

88Chris05 wrote:This thread isn't going to end well when the beefster sees it.

Anyway, if you want to take this as an admission of cherry picking, then fine, but you've twisted his words and taken them a wee bit out of context in order to do so, in my eyes.

All I have done is post the article that is doing the rounds in the major news agencies. The same article is in the Telegraph with the headline.

"Floyd Mayweather admits to cashing in on 'handpicked' opponents ahead of world title fight against Saul Alvarez"

What 'the beefster' thinks amuses me kind of like a clown.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:31 am

Isn't it odd that people defend a man that doesn't defend his own actions?

It's like a cult mentality. Mayweather is David Koresh.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:39 am

seanmichaels wrote:The guy is a 5hitbag. This is a link from Ben Dirs' piece on him on the BBC website:

That doesn't surprise me, look what he went to jail for.

I can never separate the man from fighter who is only judged by what happens inside four posts. I want my heroes to have character, human qualities, insight and basic manners. I don't like fighters that beat up and murder women. I don't like fighters who have no respect for their opponents.

Floyd will no doubt be in the square again that is surrounded by iron bars.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:41 am

Strongback wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:The guy is a 5hitbag. This is a link from Ben Dirs' piece on him on the BBC website:

I can never separate the man from fighter who is only judged by what happens inside four posts.  I want my heroes to have character, human qualities, insight and basic manners.  I don't like fighters that beat up and murder women.  I don't like fighters who have no respect for their opponents.

How do you feel about people refusing to represent their country in a war?

(slowly backs away from the thread......)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:47 am

Adam D wrote:
Strongback wrote:

I can never separate the man from fighter who is only judged by what happens inside four posts.  I want my heroes to have character, human qualities, insight and basic manners.  I don't like fighters that beat up and murder women.  I don't like fighters who have no respect for their opponents.

How do you feel about people refusing to represent their country in a war?

(slowly backs away from the thread......)

Depends on the war. If it's a commercial raid on a country like Tony Blairs efforts or like Vietnam I think it's fair that there will conscientious objectors. If there is an evil dictator on my doorstep then I would fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:53 am

None of that surprises me in the least he comes across as a despicable man who lacks any sort of class or respect for anyone. When the fighting stops and the huge fortune disappears all the hangers on will drop him like a bad habit and he will be a lonely man.
Doesn't change the fact he is a great fighter though.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:59 am

Of course they are handpicked, as any boxers opposition. Is he supposed to draw them from a hat?

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by huw on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:01 am

Strongback wrote:

In all fairness you are probably watching the wrong sport.

Mayweather may be more of a dick than most but there are very few boxers that aren't dicks.

Maybe we should try a top ten of fighters that were respectful to their oponents and lived a good life out of it. I would struggle to get 10, even more so to get 10 that have bee n active since the 70's.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:07 am

Archie Moore would be in there Huw, as would Burley, Jim Driscoll was a gent as well, blew a potential world title shot out to keep a charity commitment.

Rowley

Back to top Go down

Post by STC on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:12 am

Scottrff wrote:Of course they are handpicked, as any boxers opposition. Is he supposed to draw them from a hat?
What if you draw them from a hat with your hand?

STC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:13 am

Archie Moore became a gent but Burley in particular couldn't stand the man in his younger days.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:14 am

Archie Moore became a gent but Burley in particular couldn't stand the man in his younger days.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:14 am

huw wrote:
Strongback wrote:

In all fairness you are probably watching the wrong sport.

Mayweather may be more of a dick than most but there are very few boxers that aren't dicks.

Maybe we should try a top ten of fighters that were respectful to their oponents and lived a good life out of it. I would struggle to get 10, even more so to get 10 that have bee n active since the 70's.
I can see the character of a fighter. I would have no problem picking 10 good guys if I had the time to sit-down and think about it for a few moments.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:15 am

STC wrote:
Scottrff wrote:Of course they are handpicked, as any boxers opposition. Is he supposed to draw them from a hat?
What if you draw them from a hat with your hand?

The word handpicked is pregnant with meaning Scott. Don't be going autistic on me.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by DAVE667 on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:32 am

Can we call Rolf Harris (he's not busy is he?) as STRONGY seems to be trying to beat this particular horse to death.

DAVE667

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 12:42 pm

always said mayweather handpicks his opponenets on who will earn him the most money. so basically he does what any other fighter/promoter aspires to do. flloyd is not scared of a challenge, and he has never ducked anybody because he thought they would beat him, but basically if there is a lesser fighter who earns him much more, then he will take them on instead.

despite what many people believed the pacman fight was never gonna be his best earner. the gross earnings were higher but he would have had to given a far higher percentage to manny than he would have mosley or marquez, and it would have actually left him with less money.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by sohotnot on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 1:00 pm

I think its fair to say many champions do the same its just that Floyd is the most high profile fighter out there as well as p4p no1 so no surprise people go over his opponents/career with a fine comb. He makes no secret that he's about the money first and why not. As was mentioned on another thread regarding him this week there were fights that could've been made earlier or indeed made, Margarito & Manny for example but for whatever reason weren't. I have always thought the first half of his career title wise were the best, the best wins against the best opponents, SFW & LW but when you look at the last couple of years there hasn't been that many potential greats for him to fight, Alvarez made be the first.

sohotnot

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 4:40 pm

I always find it hard to believe he hand picks opponents it's not like he's fighting nobody's he's fighting world champions! Considering he and manny have had a lot of the same opponents could you say that manny has hand picked his opponents aswell since 2008

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by sohotnot on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:06 pm

You could say Manny has also hand picked his opponents likewise you could say it about a large percentage of fighters at some point in their careers, maximum money for minimum risk, why not its how businesses run in the world and boxing is a business.

sohotnot

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:19 pm

Everybody handpicks their opponents! Duh.

There are one or two questions over Floyd's CV but not many. Cotto a few years earlier would have been better, likewise Mosely. Prime Margarito, P-Will, Manny....

But he's hardly fought bums even if he made a few look that way. Guerrero and Ortiz will be looked back on as easy defences, cherry picked. But you tell anyone else to get in there with those two and you've got a serious fight on your hands.

That's why a lot of credit has to go to Floyd for The One. Amazing fight, cannot wait.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:24 pm

Look at Rocky Balboa even his trainer Mickey told him they were handpicked and his a HOF.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:31 pm

Think there are two issues with Floyd’s opponents, one which is largely beyond his control and one which is very much within his control. The first issue is due to the fragmented nature of the world title picture it is rare there is ever a fighter who stands out head and shoulders within his division as a must fight (Manny issue aside) Have seen the names of Cotto, Williams and others bandied about but there were never really occasions these guys had established themselves as clearly the best of the rest within their weight classes and so it is eminently possible had he fought these guys the names of other guys he actually did fight instead would be being used as the stick to beat him with.

The other issue ties in with the first and is the infrequency that Floyd has chosen to fight in recent years, when you are only having one fight a year it is perhaps inevitable you cannot fight everyone fans would like you to fight and by the time you get round to fighting again other must fight opponents have emerged or the previous must fight has lost so the moment has passed.

Am by no means arguing Floyd has fought everyone we would have wanted him to in recent years but the circumstances, both unavoidable and self inflicted do to some extent make it inevitable.

Rowley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:43 pm

His words can be taken either way, depending on which side of the fence you sit.

For me Mayweather took on the toughest challenges, Corrales, Castillo etc. culminating in stepping up to 154 to defeat Oscar. This fight established him as a world PPV star, and there's little doubt he's been more selective ever since in order to preserve that lucrative status.

I don't see Hatton as handpicked. Hatton was an undefeated champ at 140 & 147 and he called Floyd out. Yes we all agree his best weight was 140, but he was challenging Floyds crown, historically the man that does that always moves up in weight - do we give SRL grief for taking on lightweight Roberto Duran?

Yes he's had a few gimmes, old man Mosley, JMM for sure, and Ortiz & Guererro were big underdogs. But now at age 36 he's taking on probably the toughest challenge available to him. He's certainly not immune from criticism, far from it, the Pacquiao debacle was a disgrace to the sport on all sides and Floyds legacy suffers immensely from it. But where there is a willingness to criticise there has to be one to give kudos as well, and he deserves some of that too.

To me, here, he is simply saying 'if people say they're handpicked then sure they're handpicked, what do I care I'm making $40m dollars a fight'. Not so much an admission as an indifference to the subject.

Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 7:15 pm

"DAVID HAYE ADMITS TO CHERRYPICKING".......... COMING SOON"

Get that chip off your shoulder Mate...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Champagne_Socialist on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:56 am

just watched mayweather v canelo access all areas 4 and mayweather says that he puts fighters on the undercard keeps building them up and building them up into something they are not and then beat them. Seems he is suggesting that he creates a hype hob through building ip a fighter on his undercards so that he can beat them easily for a lot of money.

Champagne_Socialist

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 8:35 am

Alvarez is the ultimate hype job. This is a fantastic read (if you have time):

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9638795/canelo-alvarez-search-next-oscar-de-la-hoya

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum