The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 6

+19
superflyweight
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Stella
ChequeredJersey
The Womble
Dolphin Ziggler
The Boss
compelling and rich
Hero
Il Gialloblu
Galted
JuliusHMarx
TopHat24/7
bhb001
Union Cane
Rowley
Scottrf
Adam D
Mind the windows Tino.
23 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The best song ever with 3 or more words in the title.

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 10 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 6 ]
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 7 ]
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 76

Poll closed

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Empty The Culture Cup round 6

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Oct 2013, 11:17 am

First topic message reminder :

I said it would be Monday morning and, like my milkman, I always deliver.  So here is round 6 of quite possibly the most exciting tournament ever.  Before we move on to round 6 and the poll for 'The best song ever with 3 or more words in the title' lets have a look at what you could have won in round 5.

Round 5 saw the poll for 'Best piece of literature with a name in the title' and threw up some classic works of literature and no small measure of controversy with the 'missing' and 'reappearing' votes scandal throwing the integrity of the whole competition into doubt.  With the mystery still unsolved and the 'missing' votes no closer to being found, I have made the decision to move on, forget the past and continue the competition.  At least I am a man of extremely high integrity and moral fibre so we can proceed safe in the knowledge that the Culture Cup is still on the level.  I have my finest man (Wingrove) on the case to try and find out what happened but until then, lets move forward in peace.

Round 5 was an interesting one with the votes being split across the board resulting in many posters claiming a decent points haul.  Using my complicated results algorithm, you would have only needed to get 1 vote in this round to get 7 points.  Sot its bad luck to Union who received no votes, no points and has subsequently seen his already slim chance of winning almost certainly disappear for good.  What makes it worse it that he had some votes before 'votegate'.  Life can be so cruel.  Hero continues to be Mr Consistent and remains on top of the Christmas tree, just as a fairy should be.  Julius had a stunning reversal in fortune with his pick of Macbeth claiming top spot for this round.  A fair few posters picked up 10 points and at the half way point, the league is still within grasp for a fair few posters.  Here are the runners and riders;

Hero (A Streetcar Named Desire): (10) 46
compelling & rich (Schindler's List): (9): 42
seanmichaels (Oliver Twist): (9) 38
Adam (A Christmas Carol): (10) 37
Azzy (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes): (10) 33
onlytreblewinners (Frankenstein): (10) 32
TopHat (Romeo and Juliet): (10) 32
Galted (The World According to Garp): (7) 30
The Womble (Matilda): (10) 31
Rowley (The Picture of Dorian Grey): (10) 29
superflyweight (The Great Gatsby): (9) 29
Dolphin (Winnie the Pooh): (9) 26
The Boss (Gulliver's Travels): (10) 26
bhb (Hamlet): (7) 25
ChequeredJersey (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn): (8) 24
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Count of Monte Cristo): (8) 23
Julius ( Macbeth): (12) 22
Union (Horace) (0) 19

Round 7 is back to films and the question is this: Name the greatest film actor or actress born in the same year as you Best film originally released in the decade of your birth.  You can, of course, lie if you want to but I doubt any of you are that precious.  I will leave it up to your conscience but please PM a couple of choices.

Here is the poll for round 6 and remember, it is open for the whole forum to vote!

PLEASE ONLY VOTE FOR 2 NOMINATIONS
 I don't think it will survive another voting scandal.

PLEASE SEE EDITED QUESTION FOR THE NEXT ROUND

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Mon 07 Oct 2013, 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 6

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:10 pm

In the year I was born?! Come on man, I'm 24! I may as well put my own name down. You've let the old gits on this forum moan you into this, Tino; I am not proud of either you or them. For shame!!!!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:11 pm

it would appear half the cast of frigging twilight is the same age, which is rather depressing if im honest

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:12 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:In the year I was born?! Come on man, I'm 24! I may as well put my own name down. You've let the old gits on this forum moan you into this, Tino; I am not proud of either you or them. For shame!!!!
certainly a round for the oldies this one

how old is hero by the way? got a competition to try and win here!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:14 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Rowley wrote:Who nominated Bryan Adams? Come on Tina you owe it to us to out them so they can be subject to ridicule.
I couldn't possibly say, but I imagine the person who did, hates (in the following order):

Immigrants
The unemployed
Azania
The Smiths

Over to you.
Ha!

If your memory was half as good as your celebratory schmoozing you'd remember a) that Ain't No Mountain High Enough is my favourite song which I've now pitched twice into this competition; and b) I've already stated which two songs I've voted for raspberry

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:15 pm

they may not be very many decent actresses in my year but there's some bloody fit ones, trying not to get caught looking at all these fit women in work

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:15 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:any fans of the newsroom on here, its brilliant if not and one of the actresses is same age!

although i could sell out and put the bird out of mama mia on it, having seen some of the choices in this should get a couple of votes from the moulin rouge lovers
Love The Newsroom.  The one that plays Sloane is ridiculously good looking.
unfortunately wasn't her, its the one now with pink hair!! good actress just not as fit
Agreed. Alison Pill her name is. She's the one who accidentally sent a photo of her baps out to all her Twitter followers.

I'm not even on Twitter but I managed to find a picture.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:15 pm

Walter Matthau or Mickey Rooney?

Tough choice for Rowley in the next round.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:17 pm

There's Charlie Chaplin, Christopher Lee and Groucho Marx surely too?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:18 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:a) that Ain't No Mountain High Enough is my favourite song
You like the DJ Griffin re-mix 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough (to keep out all the workshy immigrants)'

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:20 pm

Hero wrote:There's Charlie Chaplin, Christopher Lee and Groucho Marx surely too?
Why Hero, that's the most absoid thing I've ever hoid.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:23 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:In the year I was born?! Come on man, I'm 24! I may as well put my own name down. You've let the old gits on this forum moan you into this, Tino; I am not proud of either you or them. For shame!!!!
So Dolphin, I assumed you were much older than that......

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:30 pm

I agree with Dolphin. Jamie Lynn Spears is my leading contender for the next round.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:33 pm

Went for Joy Division and Procul Harem. Love Will Tear Us Apart reminds me of my childhood and my brother playing their records in the mid 80's, and White Shade is one my favourite songs ever.

Wish I'd nominated INXS now, Never Tear Us Apart. I love that song, can't believe I forgot it!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:34 pm

So Dolphin, I assumed you were much older than that......

You wouldnt say that if you saw my body, dahhhling!

I cant even pick Emma Stone and make jokes about rutting her, shes a damn year older than me.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:40 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:a) that Ain't No Mountain High Enough is my favourite song
You like the DJ Griffin re-mix 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough (to keep out all the workshy immigrants)'

Haha, in fairness, you do do me a disservice with that particular part of your critique. The issue is with the workshy, not the immigrants.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:18 pm

I cannot believe Joy Division has 9 times as many votes as Ray Charles. That fact makes me physically sick
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:23 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I cannot believe Joy Division has 9 times as many votes as Ray Charles. That fact makes me physically sick
It gets worse, Bryan Adams has twice as many votes.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:24 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I cannot believe Joy Division has 9 times as many votes as Ray Charles. That fact makes me physically sick
Hit the road, Cheq

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:33 pm

Bryan Adams currently has as many votes as The Smiths, this would seem far more worthy of your ire.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:34 pm

4 votes for Force & Styles!

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 3933776953
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:35 pm

Rowley wrote:
Bryan Adams currently has as many votes as The Smiths, this would seem far more worthy of your ire.
I'm not the biggest fan of the Smiths but Bryan Adams having votes is upsetting
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:35 pm

Union Cane wrote:4 votes for Force & Styles!

Are they all yours?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:36 pm

OASIS have loads of votes! Worst of all, though at least it isn't Wonderwall
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:37 pm

Rowley wrote:
Neck and neck with superfly, Jeff.

In the table and this round.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:38 pm

Okay, I have to re-state my utter disgust at people's musical 'taste' on this forum. This is why I pulled out of the music cup, the voting makes me sick vomit

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:38 pm

I am doing surprisingly well this round!

Bearing in mind my first 3 choices were all taken, I am very pleased!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:40 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Okay, I have to re-state my utter disgust at people's musical 'taste' on this forum. This is why I pulled out of the music cup, the voting makes me sick vomit
Yeah! People having different preferences and opinions is disgusting!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:40 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Okay, I have to re-state my utter disgust at people's musical 'taste' on this forum. This is why I pulled out of the music cup, the voting makes me sick vomit
Not like you not to approve of people's nominations Azzy, can only assume you are a little tired after the weekend.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:41 pm

Are they all yours?
One of them is. The other three will probably vanish by the time votes are counted.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:41 pm

I nearly nominated Captain Beefheart if that helps?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:44 pm

Union Cane wrote:

Are they all yours?
One of them is. The other three will probably vanish by the time votes are counted.
You said in one of the previous rounds that voting for your own choice was

Union Cane wrote: akin to masturbation
That makes you a w*nker.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:46 pm

Everything makes you sick. You're just a joyless individual.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:46 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Everything makes you sick.  You're just a joyless individual.....
You wait till he logs on as Bull.

Then you'll see joyless.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:47 pm

Bull has the unique quality of being one of the only people more in need of a slap than Az. Or C_S.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:48 pm

Don't Look Back In Anger OK 
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:49 pm

I can't help it if most people on here don't like decent music. At least there are no votes for Beatles or U2 songs, that did at least make me think you can be redeemed The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 2 3559488474

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:52 pm

Did you vote, Azzy?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:53 pm

If only Logical Song by Scooter had been prefixed with an "the", you could have had that Azzy!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:53 pm

You could have had Fast Food Song.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:56 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Did you vote, Azzy?
Yup, Bryan Adams and Otis Reading.

If only I'd remembered Scooter. It's actually called Ramp! (The Logical Song) Doh 

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:58 pm

Is happening to be born in the same year as an actor a sign of culture? My birth year is a who's who of who.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:58 pm

Azzy, didn't I hear you say previoulsy that you like Steps?? Or were you being trenchant?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:59 pm

You mock the beatles but vote off everything I do tomato 
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 07 Oct 2013, 4:01 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:Is happening to be born in the same year as an actor a sign of culture?
No, not really. I wish I had picked a different question to be honest. Too late now though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 07 Oct 2013, 4:03 pm

Stella wrote:You mock the beatles but vote off everything I do tomato 
I am by no means the biggest fan of the Beatles but would sooner listen to the Frog Chorus than Bryan Bleeding Adams.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Oct 2013, 4:19 pm

I'd rather listen to me being tortured than 90% of the list above, but hey ho, each to their own.

I do like Steps, who doesn't? I used to like them when I was 5,6,7,8...

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 07 Oct 2013, 4:27 pm

You picked Bryan Adams over Ray Charles, arguably the greatest artist in any genre of the last 100 years, though at least you picked the equally brilliant Otis Redding (with an admittedly better song than mine). Hard to take your bitching about other people's tastes seriously Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Oct 2013, 4:30 pm

My mum's from Vancouver, I'm half Canadian. Bryan is my hero. I'd vote for him over Steps, Kylie or even S Club.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 07 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:Is happening to be born in the same year as an actor a sign of culture?
No, not really.  I wish I had picked a different question to be honest.  Too late now though.
No it's not! Really, it's never too late to change!!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 07 Oct 2013, 4:32 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I'd rather listen to me being tortured than 90% of the list above, but hey ho, each to their own.

I do like Steps, who doesn't? I used to like them when I was 5,6,7,8...
Last year?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next