The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Cup Draw

+17
Dolphin Ziggler
Dave.
Hammersmith harrier
mystiroakey
Marky
socal1976
whocares
owen10ozzy
Crimey
super_realist
monty junior
Ent
LastDamnation
Good Golly I'm Olly
compelling and rich
VDT
Duty281
21 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

World Cup Draw - Page 5 Empty World Cup Draw

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Dec 2013, 10:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Live on BBC 2 at 16:30 GMT. Here are the pots:

Pot 1 (top eight seeds): Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Belgium, Colombia, Germany, Switzerland, Uruguay.

Pot 2: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ecuador.

Pot 3: Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia, United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras.

Pot 4: Bosnia-Hercegovina, Croatia, England, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, France.

One team from Pot 4 will move into Pot 2.

England's hardest possible group: Brazil, England, United States, Netherlands (or maybe Italy)...it could happen!
England's easiest possible group: Switzerland, Nigeria, Honduras, England.

I've got my fingers crossed that we get the Argentines!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

World Cup Draw - Page 5 Empty Re: World Cup Draw

Post by Crimey Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:11 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Walcott is a striker end of story.

He has amazing goals to shots ratio.

That is where he will play for arsenal when he comes back I am pretty show of that.
Well apart from a short run last season, he has played almost exclusively on the wing for his entire career.

I think that he should be a striker, but neither of the managers who choose where he plays agrees with us so he's a winger. He's certainly not going to be the starting striker for England at the World Cup.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 08 Dec 2013, 4:21 pm

Problem with walcott as a striker is he's easy to defend against. Sit deep and dont allow space in behind and thats his main weapon gone. He will get alot more space out wide

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 2:07 pm

Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Walcott is a striker end of story.

He has amazing goals to shots ratio.

That is where he will play for arsenal when he comes back I am pretty show of that.
Well apart from a short run last season, he has played almost exclusively on the wing for his entire career.

I think that he should be a striker, but neither of the managers who choose where he plays agrees with us so he's a winger. He's certainly not going to be the starting striker for England at the World Cup.

I agree to an extent however looking at arsenals midfield and strike force- I have a feeling there is massive chance walcott will be playing in 'his' preferred position, and if he does then he will be on the radar to play for England.

Walcott is a much better finisher than the majority of England's strikers

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 2:17 pm

In all competitions last year suarez scored and assited 35 goals(30/5), walcott scored and assisted 36(21/15) goals in less time on the pitch.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:06 pm

I really don't want Walcott to start at the world cup. Always horrific for England.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:11 pm

Walcott for England. Run, run, run, run, head down and then two outcomes. Either runs it out of play or passes to the opposition.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:13 pm

This.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:44 pm

John wrote:Walcott for England. Run, run, run, run, head down and then two outcomes. Either runs it out of play or passes to the opposition.

I disagree, I think you are talking about the Walcott of two years ago. I think Walcott has become an underrated crosser of the ball. He assisted a large number of Giroud's goals last year, and in two substitute appearances this year in the last two games he has assisted both Arsenal goals. I think Arsenal would be smart to play him not just because I am an Arsenal fan. His speed unsettles teams and you don't spend a few years at Arsenal and not become a decent passer, we aren't United or Liverpool we don't hoof the ball around in our games or training sessions. I also would like to see England use Barkley.

I tell you what playing Walcott on the right is a lot better than Lennon, now there is a player who can neither shoot nor pass. Walcott made a lot of good crosses last year I watched the kid play as often as I could. If you play him he will get you goals and get behind a defense.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:46 pm

Walcott is the most underrated English player IMO.

The odd thing is abroad he is one of the highest rated.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 7:18 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Walcott is the most underrated English player IMO.

As a neutral if I was England I would find away to play Barkley, Walcott, and Wilshere each player has the ability to unlock defenses. Enough with the retreads. And as for Walcott specifically, I think they have the failings of the teenage or younger Walcott in mind. He was a huge player for Arsenal last season at times at the end of the year he was carrying out attack. I would not play Wellbeck, Lennon, or Lampard. Those guys are not up to high international standards currently.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 09 Dec 2013, 8:59 pm

Since Sweden in the Euro 2012 Walcott has been utter rubbish for England. Prime example is Ukraine a few months ago, up against an average right back and he had Walcott in his back pocket. Like John said, he gets the ball, runs into a player, or runs the ball out of play all together.

For Arsenal last season though he was superb and evidently is a world class player. Just rarely see him do anything for England.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:02 pm

Apart from being utterly cute, Theo is also utterly talented.

He'll fill out his potential for England soon enough.

And if not Theo then who? Townsend doesn't have much experience, Milner is a bit negative, Zaha doesn't get game time, Lennon is too inconsistent.

Has to be Theo.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:04 pm

He has stepped up against top sides in the CL, so He isn't a flat track bully. He was also key to Arsernal getting that top 4 when the pressure was on

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:07 pm

Townsend has been brilliant for England, but standard for club. Just needs to calm down on the amount of times he shoots, because he isn't Gareth Bale. But the way he beats his full back and his crossing is a lot better than Walcott (for England anyway)

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:10 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Townsend has been brilliant for England, but standard for club. Just needs to calm down on the amount of times he shoots, because he isn't Gareth Bale. But the way he beats his full back and his crossing is a lot better than Walcott (for England anyway)

Well brilliant for England...just the once though.
And maybe for half the game against Poland.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:13 pm

Townsend has caused the manager head aches.

Was it just a purple patch,

Is he a rare player that can play better at international level,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:14 pm

Hmm i thought he was great against Montenegro, Poland and Germany myself.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:18 pm

Well if we're counting friendlies I thought Theo was great against Brazil (the home game).

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:44 pm

He was ok, wouldn't use the word great at all. Think the spotlight was mainly on Jack Whilshere for that game as he was superb and bossed the game.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:52 pm

Not sure how Townsend has shown he is any better than Walcott. Not a chance yet. If you're gonna say Walcott doesnt have a final ball then neither does Townsend. Walcott is faster, has a better eye for goal, has experience and could cover as a striker

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:57 pm

Walcott does indeed have all those things. But he simply never shows it for England. For Arsenal he is amazing.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:17 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Not sure how Townsend has shown he is any better than Walcott. Not a chance yet. If you're gonna say Walcott doesnt have a final ball then neither does Townsend. Walcott is faster, has a better eye for goal, has experience and could cover as a striker

I agree, Walcott has been playing at a high level for quite some time, since he was a teenager. Townsend has had a few good performances for Spurs and England in his whole career. A player who has a good month or two of football and has never done that much and he has been found out a bit in the premier league as well. Theo is a much more experienced and is just a better player. Theo has made a great leap as well in the last season or two in terms of the quality of his final ball. He simply is not this dead end for possession that he is being made out to be. Maybe for England he has not quite performed as well as he could but I think he is still pretty young and can do some work at striker as well.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:27 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Not sure how Townsend has shown he is any better than Walcott. Not a chance yet. If you're gonna say Walcott doesnt have a final ball then neither does Townsend. Walcott is faster, has a better eye for goal, has experience and could cover as a striker

Townsend is a much much worse version of Bale. Lennon has pretty much taken his spot in the spurs side in no time. Had a purple patch, but players like Redmond are doing more week in week out.

Personally would go with Theo
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:43 pm

Agree. It was embarrassing seeing some people cream themselves over Townsend when he took apart Montenegro & an already out Poland. Yeah, he's got ability but I'd still go with Theo, in terms of counter-attacking threat, which Roy will use.

Townsend has been found out. Happens to every player who emerges & has the spotlight put on them. It's whether or not your a genuine class player, that you can overcome that spotlight, added pressure & direct marking. It started off with Newcastle actually, doubling up on Townsend with pacy Santon & Gouffran, showing him continuously onto his right foot. He was anonymous. Losing your place to Lennon is quite worrying really.

Although Walcott has improved dramatically, he still has issues, not the great footballing brain & sometime the touch of a *****, however, I'd still just side with him for Brazil.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:24 pm

John wrote:It started off with Newcastle actually, doubling up on Townsend with pacy Santon & Gouffran, showing him continuously onto his right foot. He was anonymous.

I think Townsend could be pretty dangerous in Rio since he is an unknown entity for most opposition. They don't know enough about him so could be unaware of how to deal with him.
Once they start to figure him out though, he would need to become less predicatable otherwise he is at risk of becoming just another Young or SWP.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:46 pm

Engalnd have so many right sided players with pace and a half decent delivery.

Zaha is t he future- More tricks than darren brown and a real eye for the game.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:43 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Walcott is the most underrated English player IMO.

Now you're making him sound like Paul Scholes!

Jeez, he's good but he ain't that special!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:45 pm

who said he was special(he is a very special boy but that wasn't what was said), and he is nothing like scholes- scholes was rated high by us english.

But your comment does prove my point- you underrate him

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:46 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Engalnd have so many right sided players with pace and a half decent delivery.

Zaha is t he future- More tricks than darren brown and a real eye for the game.

Pity one of those tricks is, quite literally, screwing his way out the United set-up!

Tragic to see dross like Young get played ahead of him...... Sad

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:48 pm

Young will go to another club in the window..

Palace should maybe consider getting the odd man u reject

Last edited by mystiroakey on Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:48 pm

mystiroakey wrote:who said he was special(he is a very special boy but that wasn't what was said), and he is nothing like scholes- scholes was rated high by us english.

But your comment does prove my point- you underrate him

Just because I rate him less than you do does not mean I under-rate him.

He's good, very good at times, but not as exceptional as you seem to be trying to make out.

As for Scholes, he was often criminally under-rated in this country whereas some of the best players from the continent considered him the best player post-Gazza England have ever produced.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:49 pm

Most 'fans' -ie the majority of posters on here or half knowledgeable fans allways rated scholes.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:50 pm

If there was a poll and people were asked to order Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard, I wouldn't be surprised to see Scholes come third.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:52 pm

Maybe.

But we know why- He isnt as eye catching- You have to understand the game a bit to notice a scholes or xavi type player

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 4:05 am

mystiroakey wrote:Maybe.

But we know why- He isnt as eye catching- You have to understand the game a bit to notice a scholes or xavi type player

Scholes is not a Xavi type player he is more like a goal scoring midfielder at least for most of his career than an out and out playmaker. Xavi plays much deeper I don't see the correlation. I would rate Scholes behind Gerrard, at his best Gerrard took a very ordinary Liverpool to the Champion's league title. He is old and past it now but Gerrard at his peak could do it all in the midfield; score, pass, and tackle. I would rate Scholes as better than Lampard despite Frank's admirable goal scoring record.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 11 Dec 2013, 6:57 am

Gerard is the different player. A player that has allways bee more direct in his play. Forward balls and forward runs from a deeper starting point.

Lamps and scholes at an earlier stage in there career played more in the hole, getting the ball in more advanced positions and making intricate passes. Both similar to Xavi but not up to his standard.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 10:35 am

The BBC will have England's first group game, ITV will have 2 and 3. Then the BBC will have first pick of the last 16 and the semis, while ITV have the first choice of the quarter-final.

Makes a nice change as usually ITV have had England's first game at a major tournament, and send the hype machine into overdrive, while the BBC broadcast the glum quarter-final exit. Over way round in 2014!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:18 pm

Duty281 wrote:The BBC will have England's first group game, ITV will have 2 and 3. Then the BBC will have first pick of the last 16 and the semis, while ITV have the first choice of the quarter-final.

Good Luck ITV with that England QF

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:20 pm

John wrote:
Duty281 wrote:The BBC will have England's first group game, ITV will have 2 and 3. Then the BBC will have first pick of the last 16 and the semis, while ITV have the first choice of the quarter-final.

Good Luck ITV with that England QF

Fingers crossed it'll be a corker. England against either Spain or Brazil.

No need to fret, we've got Zidane (Wilshere), Gascoigne (Barkley), and the White Pele (Rooney).

Well that's what the media will tell me anyway!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 11 Dec 2013, 5:57 pm

BBC should just get all the England games.

ITV sucks.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 13 Dec 2013, 11:58 am

You've just got to love Clive Tyldesley and that nasally affected voice of his.

Besides which, ITV are proper pro-England, unlike the moaning Mark Lawrenson and the hyprocritical Alan Shearer.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 13 Dec 2013, 12:47 pm

Everything about ITV is rubbish. Also there are add breaks.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 13 Dec 2013, 12:50 pm

Adrian Chiles set the mood, then I remember Clive Tyldesley single-handedly capturing the spirit of a nation before the France-England game at Euro 2012, before Andy Townsend increased the patriotic fervour - on the other hand, the BBC had a rap song and a montage set to the words of Shakespeare before England-Italy, and a corking end montage set to an excellent song at the end.

Mmm...tough one.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 13 Dec 2013, 12:59 pm

Adrian Chiles  picard How the bloke is still employed is beyond me

Andy Townsend is a rubbish commentator. Whilst i do agree with you about Tyldesley and Lawrenson. BBC just is a lot lot lot better than rubbish ITV.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 13 Dec 2013, 1:28 pm

Adrian Chiles is a joke. But a worthwhile one for me.

The bumbling happy brit that knows little about football

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Dec 2013, 7:44 pm

It's laughable that ITV binned the excellent Steve Ryder to accommodate Chiles.

Whoever told the guy that he's funny needs locking in the special bus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5