The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4th Ashes Test - Melbourne

+22
trebellbobaggins
Hood83
SLC v2
kwinigolfer
dyrewolfe
Gerry SA
NickisBHAFC
Born Slippy
JDizzle
guildfordbat
Hoggy_Bear
Mike Selig
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
kingraf
alfie
Duty281
CaledonianCraig
Pal Joey
liverbnz
KP_fan
msp83
Good Golly I'm Olly
26 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

4th Ashes Test - Melbourne - Page 10 Empty 4th Ashes Test - Melbourne

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 25 Dec 2013, 7:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

The Boxing Day test match is upon us people!

There are rumoured to be a few changes to the England side, one of course enforced with the retirement on Graeme Swann. There hasn't been too much about who will replace him, Panesar would be the obvious choice. The other all but confirmed move will be Jonny Bairstow taking Prior's place.

Australia:
CJL Rogers, DA Warner, SR Watson, MJ Clarke*, SPD Smith, GJ Bailey, BJ Haddin†, MG Johnson, PM Siddle, RJ Harris, NM Lyon

England:
AN Cook*, MA Carberry, JE Root, KP Pietersen, IR Bell, BA Stokes, JM Bairstow†, SCJ Broad, TT Bresnan, JM Anderson, MS Panesar

With the series already over, lets hope we just get to see some good cricket. From an English point of view, lets not lose 5-0!!

Now back to the Christmas pudding for me...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

4th Ashes Test - Melbourne - Page 10 Empty Re: 4th Ashes Test - Melbourne

Post by KP_fan Tue 31 Dec 2013, 9:56 pm

Olly wrote:
msp83 wrote:Thought it was a serious overreaction from Hadlee. But I don't know what got into Brett Lee, one of the rare Australian favorites of mine, he's such a decent and nice bloke, not just off the field, but on it as well while remaining a massive cricketing challenge all the way. Why did he jump up for that bit of nonsense?

Nobody should ever pass up the opportunity to try and seriously hurt Piers Morgan.

Yeah.....In the Crown vs Kevin Peter Pietersen-the mercenary case ...Morgan openly and vocally supported the latter hence Nobody should ever pass up the opportunity to try and seriously hurt Piers Morgan  laughing 
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 10:21 pm

If Morgan's supporting you, that doesn't say much.

Piers Morgan - the most hated man in Britain?

And Brett Lee fractured his rib! Yahoo

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 01 Jan 2014, 12:47 am

KP_fan wrote:
Olly wrote:
msp83 wrote:Thought it was a serious overreaction from Hadlee. But I don't know what got into Brett Lee, one of the rare Australian favorites of mine, he's such a decent and nice bloke, not just off the field, but on it as well while remaining a massive cricketing challenge all the way. Why did he jump up for that bit of nonsense?

Nobody should ever pass up the opportunity to try and seriously hurt Piers Morgan.

Yeah.....In the Crown vs Kevin Peter Pietersen-the mercenary  case  ...Morgan openly and vocally supported the latter hence Nobody should ever pass up the opportunity to try and seriously hurt Piers Morgan  laughing 

Yes because everyone should base their opinion of a man on the stance he takes on sporting matters... clap 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 01 Jan 2014, 11:48 am

Shock horror, England are playing badly and greyghost/Glorious pops over.  raspberry 

Anyhoo I digress. I happily concede Eng have been well beaten by a better, motitvated Aus side. Out captained,outbatted,outfielded, out everything! The alarming bit is that we've succumbed so meakly in all 4 tests with only a hint of ever being in the match at some stage and not learned a single lesson on how to handle pace.
Maybe in the long term, the breaking up of the Swann, Prior, Anderson clique will benefit the team?
Shane Warne was right in Nov. Cook just isnt tactically aggressive enough to capt a winning side in Australia...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 01 Jan 2014, 5:35 pm

Monty gone now. Dropping like flies.

I think the lesson that should be learned here by England, is to not get hysterical prematurely. After day two all the talk was that England had solved their problems and were now competitive "what if we'd played like this in the first three tests?" The media started with, as if about to claim a moral series victory if the final two tests could be won. However, as usual, the wheels fell off. A 120 run and ten wicket lead was squandered and a four day loss the result.

I think keeping a lid on emotions either way - not feeling helpless and destroyed after one day and not swaggering with world beating bravado after another is where England need to look.

Mental conditioning to remain focused on the task and not mentally writing newspaper headlines after a few sessions.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jan 2014, 7:41 pm

After the Fourth Test Cook openly admitted the players were going through a crisis of confidence. Surely, then changes are necessary as in playing players with low confidence isn't going to get results.

Who are the players who have displayed the most lack of confidence then?

Well Carberry seems to have gone right into his shell lately. From free (ish) scoring at the start of the series he really has got bogged down in his last few innings. Perhaps a solution would be dropping him and moving Root back into the opener slot with Ballance coming into the side.

Bell has been very sporadic but he seems panicked by the prospect of being left to bat with the tail. Solution? Move Bell to No.3 in the order.

Elsewhere I'd be tempted to drop Bresnan and bring in Finnis and as Panesar is injured let's see what Borthwick can do. Obviously, others are clearly struggling for former but have at least had one or two high scores with the bat (Cook, Pietersen and Stokes).

The team I'd opt for:-

Cook (Captain)
Root
Bell
Pietersen
Ballance
Stokes
Bairstow (wk)
Broad
Borthwick
Finn
Anderson

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 02 Jan 2014, 9:22 am

That's pretty much looks like the team they'll be plumping for, Craig.
You and I and a few others have been saying Bell should be at 3 for a while now. It would be a  bit harsh on Carbs (if he does get dropped) but the selectors will most likely give Ballance and Bortwick their debuts and move Root up to opener for the SCG Test. Things could get ugly... or not!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 02 Jan 2014, 9:29 am

My issues with that :

If Root is struggling at 3 doesnt moving him up to open make any issues with Carberry even worse?
Bell at 3 ... hes had several stints there only one of which was successful, the form hes in at the moment is reminiscent of his Ashes debut. Again dropping Carberry because he got a bit bogged down to promote a guy who got himself out in the most ridiculous fashion to a non ball doesnt strike me as the way to shore up the top order.
Id actually be more tempted to bump KP up if anyone, hes the one player who just about seems to have his brain screwed on for batting at the moment.

Picking Borthwick is a massive gamble, although a five man attack and root does afford him some protection ...but will England be too scared to bowl him negating any point to him being there in the first place. Tredwell was called up as injury cover for Panessar, so dont be amazed if he gets the spot. That said though Borthwick is more likely to be a long term option and offers cover for the loss in batting depth if Bresnan is dropped.
The talk in the press is of Rankin, not Finn, for Bresnan.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 02 Jan 2014, 9:44 am

Yeah, the timing is wrong for moving both Root and Bell now. The horse has bolted and is calmly grazing on the other side of the range now. He's got a good supply of water too... in the form of the Murrumbidgee River.

I was going to ask about Tredwell... thought he would be more experienced than Borthwick but then again I haven't seen much of the young Yorkshire bloke. Saw him on TV for the first time yesterday... he seems to have some x-factor about him... or am I just being generous after New Year?

It's easy to say now (but some of us dabbled with the idea before Perth) - Rankin may have had an impact earlier in the series but the selectors opted for Bresnan instead - again they played the safe option and we are where we are now.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 02 Jan 2014, 9:56 am

Borthwicks x factor is that hes a leg spinner. His county record is nothing special, but like Stokes/Woakes hes primarily come into contention as a player that allows a 5 man attack because he can bat a bit and offers genuine variation.

Anyone remember Ian Salisbury?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 02 Jan 2014, 10:10 am

a leg spinner unless of the class of Mustaq ahmed or Warne is not likely to make any impact. Even Kaneria quality is barely passable in Australia.

and leggies are by the inherent nature of their craft are profligate...so playing a medicore county level Leggie is juts not going to help.......expecting your lead bullet to act like a "magic silver bullet" is desperation.

the steady tight off-spinner that Eng have will do a much better holding job
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 02 Jan 2014, 12:15 pm

KP_fan wrote:a leg spinner unless of the class of Mustaq ahmed or Warne is not likely to make any impact. Even Kaneria quality is barely passable in Australia.

and leggies are by the inherent nature of their craft are profligate...so playing a medicore county level Leggie is juts not going to help.......expecting your lead bullet to act like a "magic silver bullet" is desperation.

the steady tight off-spinner that Eng have will do a much better holding job

Yeah Tredwell whos international record is better than his bowling would perhaps be the safer pick in terms of this game or like for like on Swann.. But I really dont see this selection as about the result of this game any more than Woakes Kerigan was about the 5th test of the last series.
Its about the shape of things to come. England dont have a real wicket taking spinner to call on. They obviously believe that Borthwick could be one, and more importantly see him as a player who can play in a 5 man attack whether 2 spinners or 4 seamers ...something theyve wanted since Flintoff.
The Flower plan for the future appears to be a batting "keeper", 1 or 2 bits and pieces players and 3 medium fats seamers.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 02 Jan 2014, 2:00 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

The Flower plan for the future appears to be a batting "keeper", 1 or 2 bits and pieces players and 3 medium fats seamers.

Medium fat seamers?
I thought they were dropping Bresnan?  Wink 

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jan 2014, 2:16 pm

This match is more about the future for England. Carberry is NOT one for the future at the age of 33 whereas Root is. Okay Root may not be in great for but dropping Carberry allows England to look at Ballance which is my thinking here. Look at a couple (maybe three of Bell's dismissals in this series) and they smack of a desperate urge to score quickly knowing what for the tail is in. Moving him up the order takes that mentality away. Borthwick is another possible for the future worth looking at now.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 02 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:This match is more about the future for England. Carberry is NOT one for the future at the age of 33 whereas Root is. Okay Root may not be in great for but dropping Carberry allows England to look at Ballance which is my thinking here. Look at a couple (maybe three of Bell's dismissals in this series) and they smack of a desperate urge to score quickly knowing what for the tail is in. Moving him up the order takes that mentality away. Borthwick is another possible for the future worth looking at now.

I simply couldn't fathom why Carberry got the nod over Root for that very reason.

What were the selectors thinking? And now it appears that England are going to come full circle again.

A waste of four tests for Root as the selectors (seemingly) strive to ruin his career. 6, then 2, then 3, now 1 again. Poor lad, he's got fantastic potential and is being messed around by the very people supposed to help him. Much like Finn, it would appear.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10