Congratulations to the over 25/30 yeear olds haha

Go down

Congratulations to the over 25/30 yeear olds haha Empty Congratulations to the over 25/30 yeear olds haha

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 12:53 pm

Read this on another site and thought it was worth sharing.

Never truer words spoken:

"CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and Early 80's !!! First, you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints. You had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes, you had no helmets, not to mention, the risks you took hitchhiking .. As children, you would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun. You drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle. You shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this. You ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but you weren't overweight because...... YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!! You would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach you all day. And you were OK. You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out you forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, you learned to solve the problem . You did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them! You fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents you played with worms(well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen, you did not poke out any eyes. You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them! Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. You had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were."
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Congratulations to the over 25/30 yeear olds haha Empty Re: Congratulations to the over 25/30 yeear olds haha

Post by kingraf on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 1:59 pm

Don't want to turn this into a political statement... but a white kid... probably a girl wrote this - coz I can guarantee a black one would read:
"Congratulations to the homies born in the 1930s, 40, 50s, 60, 70, and 80s still kickin' it. You'z is OG's. Firstly, we survived, crackpot moms, dads who weren't around, moms on dope, dads who sold dope, single moms, dads in prison, moms dating men who just got out of prison. We was emotionally damaged, and couldn't finish school because momz spent the money on dope. But we survived! we drank coke ate cakes, and lived on koolaid but we didn't gain weight mainly because momma's new boyfriend introduced me to the Jenny Crack diet. We survived unnecessary searches from the police and even a night in jail because we resembled that homie who mugged that one white family down the road. We watched all our favorite artist die in mysterious circumstances, saw Mandela get thrown in jail, and bought a gun at fifteen to protect the blood. Never had no time for PlayStation or Nintendo because half the time moms crack expenses meant we couldn't okay W & L. But we survived, with a criminal record for a misdemeanor, instead of the drug charge I would have gotten had the cops thoroughly searched my car the time they stopped me doin' 55 in a 54. Share this with all the OG's who were harassed, and had broken families before the lawyers stepped in and ruined our lives"
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Congratulations to the over 25/30 yeear olds haha Empty Re: Congratulations to the over 25/30 yeear olds haha

Post by ONETWOFOREVER on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 8:43 pm

I am a 70's baby and can relate with a lot reborn. Especially the part that talks about growing up as kids.

Yes I can remember the days when there was NO mobile phones and the phone in the house was the type you would have to wind with you're finger each time you dialled a number. No touch screen or texts.

We had an old Granada television, in those days you could only watch your standerd 4 CHANNELS, there was no remote if you wanted to change the channel you had to GET UP and walk to the tele.

I had many friends who lived around me, and I was 1 of those who would knock on doors or shout from the pavement. Football was a jumpers for goal posts type deal and does anyone remember GOAL TO GOAL?

I had a chopper bicycle which had 3 gears, wore arrow trainers or Adidas 3 stripe barstewards as they were reffered to, sherbert was like crack to kids back then and we would only go home if we felt peckish man we lived like kings.

I used to own a Amstrad CPC 464 computer which took half an hour to laod each game. These games I used to buy in the corner shop around the corner for max £3.99p. Dan dare, Renagade, Barbarian etc.

Des Lynam presented Match of the day and Saint and Grievesy would host a show on ITV for the lower leagues like the old division 2 3 and 4 as if it were important.

great times

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 9:17 pm

They were ONETWO. I remember (countless times as a child) walking miles to call for my mate only to find that he'd gone out and have to walk all the way back home. More meat on a butchers dog than little old me. Only now I fully appreciate that kind of exercise.

I had a Raleigh Grifter and later on a Wild Cat (a bike that had 3 sound buttons on the handlebars that made a spaceship like sound.)

Summer holidays I'd leave my house armed only with a football only to return 10 hours later to a cold dinner.

Bliss. They really were the days. Simple but bloody marvellous. These kids today don't know their born.

I cried when I got a ZX Spectrum for Christmas in 1988 when I wanted a Commodore 64. I don't cry now. I think back and feel warm.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 10:10 pm

FreekShow wrote:They were ONETWO. I remember (countless times as a child) walking miles to call for my mate only to find that he'd gone out and have to walk all the way back home. More meat on a butchers dog than little old me. Only now I fully appreciate that kind of exercise.

I had a Raleigh Grifter and later on a Wild Cat (a bike that had 3 sound buttons on the handlebars that made a spaceship like sound.)

Summer holidays I'd leave my house armed only with a football only to return 10 hours later to a cold dinner.

Bliss. They really were the days. Simple but bloody marvellous. These kids today don't know their born.

I cried when I got a ZX Spectrum for Christmas in 1988 when I wanted a Commodore 64. I don't cry now. I think back and feel warm.

Ah the Spectrum and the Commodore. I remember the Atari also but for me Amstrad was the daddy of computer gaming back then. I would never had guessed that the gaming industry would blow up like it has today. Back then the games were great but not great enough to keep me in doors all blooming day like kids today who can play playstaion and xbox until thier balls drop off.

Technology never had such a effect on us back then. It seems like it has invaded and taken away the human interaction today. Everyone is just focased on their i-pads and i-phones its sad for them really.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 10:38 pm

OneTwo did you ever play "one a touch" football were everyone was allowed one touch per person. Good times. Making the go carts is a good one, normally with wheels from an old pram haha. Used to leave the house in the morning and didn't come home until 8pm and the cops my folks never had a worry. Used to play "stone wars" in this old abandoned factory. 10 on 10 literally chucking bricks at each other until one of us got hit then "CEASEFIRE" would get screamed. All sorts of scars from playing that game.

Ahhhh the days
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 10:39 pm

Was it the commodore that took tapes as games or was that the spectrum. Made a crazy noise with colours on the screen when the game started up haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Was it the commodore that took tapes as games or was that the spectrum. Made a crazy noise with colours on the screen when the game started up haha

I know for sure that the Amstrad used tapes. You are right about the noise it was like a screetching sound. I used to load the tapes in and go off and make me a sandwich, come back and the blooming thing was still loading.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:OneTwo did you ever play "one a touch" football were everyone was allowed one touch per person. Good times. Making the go carts is a good one, normally with wheels from an old pram haha. Used to leave the house in the morning and didn't come home until 8pm and the cops my folks never had a worry. Used to play "stone wars" in this old abandoned factory. 10 on 10 literally chucking bricks at each other until one of us got hit then "CEASEFIRE" would get screamed. All sorts of scars from playing that game.

Ahhhh the days

One a touch sounds a lot like a game we used to play but maybe by a different name.

I do remember playing ''World cup'' where 5 or 6 of us would pick a national team and whoever scored against the 1 keeper in goal would progress, the last one would be eliminated.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 11:09 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Was it the commodore that took tapes as games or was that the spectrum. Made a crazy noise with colours on the screen when the game started up haha

Speccy and Commodore games both ran tape loads but the Speccy gave you massive head and earaches  Laugh 

If you looked at the Speccy loading screen for too long you had an eppy fit and saw dead people!

Commodore won the graphics war but the Speccy carries the nostalgia.

I admire your memory Reborn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 11:10 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

I know for sure that the Amstrad used tapes. You are right about the noise it was like a screetching sound. I used to load the tapes in and go off and make me a sandwich, come back and the blooming thing was still loading.

I'd cry after 15 minutes of loading when they crashed!

Load "" was the command if I remember correctly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn on Sun 05 Jan 2014, 9:59 am

Remember about 20 of us all playing handball with an old tennis ball up the side of some bodies house (end terrace house) then the oul fella who lived there comin out with his walkin stick and chasin us all away haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
V2 Journal
V2 Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half on Mon 06 Jan 2014, 12:41 pm

Sounds like we are all of much the same age - late 30s and early 40s. Old enough to remember Spectrums and C64s. Maybe I'm slightly older as I can remember the Vic 20 and ZX81 and the Atari games console. Imagine when only one of your friends had a games console and you had to actually go round to their house (a few streets away) to play a computer game.

I don't remember ever building a go cart, although I was always a mad keen cyclist - first bike was a yellow Raleigh Chipper (my brother, one year older, got a Tomahawk, the one that looked like the Chopper but was smaller), replaced a couple of years later by a 'droppy' Raleigh Arena. Even at about 12 or 13 I was allowed to head off pretty much wherever I wanted, and I always came back safely (I have had a couple of crashes with vehicles, but when I was in my late teens and had left home - both times the driver basically said 'whoops, didn't see you').

Anyway, I'm going to take exception to one of the comments in the lead thread - we weren't the sorts of wusses to let a little darkness get in the way of continued football, we just played under the streetlight...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulHv2 on Thu 09 Jan 2014, 3:38 pm

I remember all of that! The wildcat bike was superb fun when I was younger. Playing footy down the park, heads and volleys, we used to play World Cup as well Onetwo.

To be honest my daughter is exactly like that now, we bought her a Wii for christmas and she has barely touched it, she'd much rather be out on her bike or on the field playing with our dogs. Sadly I can't quite give her the freedom my parents were able to give me.
PaulHv2
PaulHv2
Admin
Admin

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Thu 09 Jan 2014, 4:02 pm

I remember the commodore 64.

Was a classic back in the day

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest on Thu 09 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm

If I remember correctly there was a game called Bubble Bobble me and my brother used to play alot.

Also remeber the game Chucky Egg.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 09 Jan 2014, 4:54 pm

hampo171 wrote:I remember all of that! The wildcat bike was superb fun when I was younger. Playing footy down the park, heads and volleys, we used to play World Cup as well Onetwo.

Headers and Volleys was great. You volleyed it wide and you went in goal. Couldn't beat diving about in a sand trap mud patch!

Remember finals and pair finals Hampo? I always got paired with the worst player who would toe punt my Adidas Tango and put it out of shape  Laugh 

Brilliant days.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion on Fri 10 Jan 2014, 5:33 am

I was a post-war 'baby boomer' child. I lived my early years in a little cottage in a small, rural village on IOW in a rapidly expanding family (eventually four sisters and two brothers) after dad came home from the war and was demobbed from the army.  We all shared everything because there was no way in the world anything could be private.  We were packed in too close together.  But it was good.

Hand me down clothes.... How my poor little brother hated getting everything third hand.  But that was how it was.  All families were the same.  Food and clothing were still rationed well into the 1950's.  We made do with what we had.

Everybody in the village left their doors unlocked because the thought that anybody would come in and steal from you didn't occur to any of us.  Not that anybody had anything to steal anyway.  But you could go into the village shop, and if nobody was there, take what you needed and leave the money on the counter (or a note if you were getting something on tick)

Our garden was one big vegetable patch because "dig for victory" was still a common buzz word.  We played on the green with all the other kids, or we went out into the countryside to explore, or if we had the tuppence for the fare, we'd get the bus to Ryde and play on the beach.  The beach at Ryde seemed like an endless expanse of golden sand, shimmering in the sunshine.  The Solent seemed bluer than it does today.

What a culture shock then, when my family moved to London when I was still a nipper.  Playing on bomb-sites left over from the Blitz (some were still around into the late 1960's) instead of the village green, and the fields.  Football games became 20-a-side in the road, having to scatter when a car came past.  London was dirty, violent and it didn't take me long to learn that if you put something down and turned away for a moment, it wouldn't be there when you turned back.

School was a hard, harsh, crowded environment a million miles away from the single classroom cosiness I'd known up to that point.

This may sound like a cliché, but... we were happy in our family life.  We didn't have much, but we had each other.  We shared everything and it was all given freely and without condition.  Even at school in London, life was liveable.  There were no drugs and very little bullying that I remember.  Boyish arguments were settled by putting up your dooks and having it out and then shaking hands afterwards.  

Back on the island, Saturday morning pictures in Ryde was the highlight of the week.  Everybody was there.  There were great films, especially the westerns and as my mum worked at the cinema as an ice cream lady, me and my brothers never went without a fourpenny one.

Christmases were more sparse affairs, but very close and intimate.  Having a big turkey on the table really.... really... was a once a year event and it was all the more special for it.  The feeling of familial warmth, belonging and closeness was something I've tried to retain in my own family as my children grew up.  The best part of my Christmas this year, was when my granddaughter, tired out after a big, exciting day, cuddled up and fell asleep on my lap.

The world is more materialistic today, of that there is no doubt and it is not a better place for it.  I don't want to sound like an old f*rt telling you all  how great things were back then because there were some pretty grim times.  We weren't well off and had to go without a lot.  There were hungry days.  The winter of 1963 was the coldest ever and at one point we had to burn anything to hand, including old shoes to keep warm because coal couldn't be delivered due to a blizzard.

The country was broke.... even more so than today..... but we founded the NHS and the Welfare State.... things that are being systematically dismantled by the current self, self, self generation that is, at times, one-eyed beyond belief.  Our country is self destructing on a tide of inward looking, blinkered retrogression.  We're destroying the things that men like my father fought for.  He fought for a home fit for real heroes.  I think this generation would make an old soldier weep. He'd wonder why he bothered.

There were a lot of difficulties and problems to solve, but we're a hardy lot, us 'baby boomers'.  We came through it all and we're all the better and wiser for it.  Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but when I look back I can say that it's been pretty good.  There is very little that I would change.

Overall, when I compare my generation and this one, I'm glad I was born when I was.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum