The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The State of The Forum - better or worse?

+20
It Must Be Love
JubbaIsle
CaledonianCraig
The Special Juan
Silver
Jahu
kingraf
Haddie-nuff
hawkeye
laverfan
kemet
Danny_1982
HM Murdock
banbrotam
socal1976
bogbrush
Henman Bill
lydian
summerblues
JuliusHMarx
24 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The State of The Forum - better or worse? - Page 2 Empty The State of The Forum - better or worse?

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 24 Jan 2014, 9:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

It wasn't long ago that were rumblings and mutterings among the chattering classes (that's you) that the forum was a bit bland and sterile, that debate was being stifled and apathy and discontent was setting in. There was even mutinous talk that this was in some part due to the behaviour of your wise and glorious rulers (that's laverfan and myself).

Now everything seems to be back to the halcyon days of yore with bickering, banter, back-stabbing and behind-biting.

So it would actually be useful, I think, for laverfan and myself to know which is preferable to your good selves. The current lively, spicy, on-the-edge feel to the place. Or the somewhat meditative, relaxed, coffee-house ambience of early winter? The more we know about your preferences the more likely LF and I are not to get it hideously wrong and ruin it for everyone.

PM us if you'd prefer - you can name names that way Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

The State of The Forum - better or worse? - Page 2 Empty Re: The State of The Forum - better or worse?

Post by kingraf Sat 25 Jan 2014, 9:16 am

I like the odd fire fight, to be completely honest - Adds some spice to the discussions. If two posters have polar views - watching them duke it out is better than, "I disagree... let's have coffee to celebrate our differences of opinion" without ever defending their stances. Even the odd bit of wummery is fun to see - key is moderation, and never getting personal. As long as an disagreement never gets personal, then I think it allows for all eventualities to be explored, i.e - one can still exit the conversation gracefully... or even concede a point.

I don't even know what we were discussing during the recess, and wouldn't be surprised if we were exchanging recipes for Nordic desserts that's how dead it was - can't go back there, not willingly at least.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

The State of The Forum - better or worse? - Page 2 Empty Re: The State of The Forum - better or worse?

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:13 am

My reaction, with Mod hat on, to wummery is generally based on two things. Is it repetitive and what is the reaction of other posters.
E.g. for Tennis_Connosieur's post, it was a one-off and everyone had a good laugh. I suspect if he posted the same thing every week or so something would have to be done. Not for me as a poster, 'cos I quite enjoy it, but as a Mod, for the general benefit of the forum.
It's one of the drawbacks of being a Mod - can't relax and enjoy the forum quite as much as just being a poster.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:32 am

Who cares for wums and those who want relaxed stuff. As far as I can have a go at Djoko I'm all happy.

Anyway some spice it up crap is good.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:35 am

Sounds like Gordon Gecko..."Crap is good....crap works..."
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:42 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:My reaction, with Mod hat on, to wummery is generally based on two things. Is it repetitive and what is the reaction of other posters.
E.g. for Tennis_Connosieur's post, it was a one-off and everyone had a good laugh. I suspect if he posted the same thing every week or so something would have to be done. Not for me as a poster, 'cos I quite enjoy it, but as a Mod, for the general benefit of the forum.
It's one of the drawbacks of being a Mod - can't relax and enjoy the forum quite as much as just being a poster.

Precisely. A one off blatant wind up thread is great fun. But the same thing every other day? I understand why it can drive people away. Obsessive nonsense. Always amazes me that people can actually be bothered to spend time thinking of different ways to disparage someone.

I think the balance between tolerating the odd few and blocking / criticising the repetitive is pretty good on here.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 25 Jan 2014, 10:53 am

lydian wrote:Sounds like Gordon Gecko..."Crap is good....crap works..."

Spot on lyd, life is too short to nanny too much the kids around here  Laugh 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 25 Jan 2014, 1:41 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Precisely. A one off blatant wind up thread is great fun. But the same thing every other day? I understand why it can drive people away. Obsessive nonsense. Always amazes me that people can actually be bothered to spend time thinking of different ways to disparage someone.

I think the balance between tolerating the odd few and blocking / criticising the repetitive is pretty good on here.

Have you seen any new arguments in SoCal's Federer denigration (Wee Keira, etc.) or F*King's Nadal equivalent? Laugh

Sometimes, it is tiresome to have to become a referee in a puerile mud-slinging contest (echoing JHM's Mod sentiments).

The definition of WUMmery is very subjective, one person's WUMming is another person's quinine. There is no peRFect scale for measuring WUMmery.

(This is Job Security 101 as a Mod).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 25 Jan 2014, 2:07 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Precisely. A one off blatant wind up thread is great fun. But the same thing every other day? I understand why it can drive people away. Obsessive nonsense.

This is very true. I left the forum during the latter part of last year purely due to one poster (unrelated to criticism of my favourite player, I hasten to add). It was doing my head in. I figured it wasn't worth the stress, as much as I enjoy posting here.

That being said, variety and a bit of spice is good for sparking debate and interesting points can come out of the woodwork as a result. I'd hate to think of the forum as being sterile. Maybe one thing we should all try to do is stop equating attacks on a player with personal attacks. Being a supporter and defending their corner is one thing; being personally offended is another.

Julius and laverfan do a fantastic job on here, especially when it gets heated. One corrupt or blatantly idiotic mod can bring ruin upon a forum - thankfully, that's not the case here.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 25 Jan 2014, 2:36 pm

Julius and laverfan do a fantastic job on here, especially when it gets heated. One corrupt or blatantly idiotic mod can bring ruin upon a forum - thankfully, that's not the case here.
 clap 
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 25 Jan 2014, 2:55 pm

laverfan wrote:Sometimes, it is tiresome to have to become a referee in a puerile mud-slinging contest (echoing JHM's Mod sentiments).
To be honest, for me this is probably the main reason why I am willing to live with tighter moderating than I would personally prefer - I imagine it can get pretty labor intensive for you guys if the forum allows freewheeling posts and then you presumably get plenty of complaints.

Deep down, I think it is really the fault of those who complain, but I can see that for you it can be painful work and - given how well you get paid for this job - I can see you might prefer a more peaceful forum.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 25 Jan 2014, 4:22 pm

laverfan wrote: F*King's Nadal equivalent?

took a few reads before I read that with a clean mind...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Feb 2014, 2:23 pm

Where is everyone? I hope everyone is ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 27 Feb 2014, 3:27 pm

I'm sure we're all OK. Maybe just a bit bored of the tennis at the moment. Or bored of posting about it Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 27 Feb 2014, 3:43 pm

Probably doesn't help that there isn't even a Masters on at the mo'
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 27 Feb 2014, 6:42 pm

It's just a quiet period in the season.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 28 Feb 2014, 6:35 am

I am still here watching from a distance. It has just been an incredibly busy time in my life over the last few months hence I have only been posting during the big tournaments.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 28 Feb 2014, 6:32 pm

Perhaps there is less posting than tennis watching. Some new posters have also dipped their toes in, which I am very glad to see.

@LKv2... thanks for bringing this thread back. rose

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 28 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm

kingraf wrote:
laverfan wrote: F*King's Nadal equivalent?

took a few reads before I read that with a clean mind...

The F* was a poster reference, not towards the player. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 28 Feb 2014, 6:37 pm

I caught that LF - but I must admit I do have have to stare at it a bit before it dawns on me
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Feb 2014, 6:38 pm

It's good to see that the Federer and Djokovic match sparked some life on this forum.

I think Indian Wells will see more posters I hope. Still some good tennis on tonight with Dolgo, Dimitrov and Murray in action.

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Fri 28 Feb 2014, 8:48 pm

Have I missed something ?....have been away for a while so prob have.

These things come along in waves and troughs and there is nothing we can do about it. As I recall, most years the winter after Xmas is dull and tedious with all the waiting and expectation, so tempers can flare and debates get heated, but at least it keeps us warm.

As long as nasty personal attacks are snuffed out (trolls), a few wums are a pleasant aside and add to ones amusement, just gotta recognise them ASAP.

I think the mods are running everything a good as it can be, there is only so much you can censure without ruining the flow and the cut and parry of internet chat.

You have to expect the whole place will fire up as we get closer to the FO and Wimbly, esp the remorseless insurgency of wind up merchants.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:25 am

It has to be said that humour is going out of the forum in buckets.

I'll be frank. The reason the 2 mods worked so well was because they have no personal bias to any of the top players. That is a great recipe for effective moderation. However, you bring someone on board that has a bias to a certain player, and we get a trigger happy mod. I should know because I was once a mod and Jubba Isle before me was and it makes moderation the more difficult if you support a current player. Posters believe that you will protect that player and posters from views that disagree with them and put their favourite player in a negative light. This isn't a personal attack or anything. Just advice. If want debate, allow it.

As a move villain once said: Why So Serious?

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:29 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:The reason the 2 mods worked so well was because they have no personal bias to any of the top players.
Hi Legendkiller Smile

Want to have a quick discussion on this, would you prefer via PM or on this thread ?
I think I'd prefer to have it via PM as we can both express ourselves more frankly, but I'll let you choose Wink

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:33 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:It has to be said that humour is going out of the forum in buckets.

I'll be frank. The reason the 2 mods worked so well was because they have no personal bias to any of the top players. That is a great recipe for effective moderation. However, you bring someone on board that has a bias to a certain player, and we get a trigger happy mod. I should know because I was once a mod and Jubba Isle before me was and it makes moderation the more difficult if you support a current player. Posters believe that you will protect that player and posters from views that disagree with them and put their favourite player in a negative light. This isn't a personal attack or anything. Just advice. If want debate, allow it.

As a move villain once said: Why So Serious?

The problem with having a non-biased mod is that you may then have to recruit a non-tennis fan. A tennis fan-mod invariably will be a fan of Federer, Nadal or Murray first and foremost so unless a suitable mod-like poster who is a die-hard Dimitroc, Cilic, Wawrinka or Nishikori fan (or of another lesser-supported player) then I don't see any other solution.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:35 am

Yes, worst comes to worst we even might get a moderator who hate a player so much that they want him to get seriously injured and express happiness when he does so.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:35 am

Not really CC.

If my memory serves me correctly JHM is a Henman fan and LF the clue is in the name. Done a perfect job in my eyes. Need more like them.

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:37 am

Any response at all LK ? Wink

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:40 am

I'll admit to preferring Murray, but I have no great allegiance to anyone since Agassi & Henman retired.
I also think that banter is an important part of the forum and we don't want to run the risk of 'stifling' the forum be being too rigid.
Ultimately tennis is a fairly trivial subject matter and if, even by tennis standards, a trivial subject is raised then I think it's likely to go off-topic - as long as everyone's good-natured and having a laugh, I don't see a problem with that.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:40 am

Well LKv2, if you want to discuss this, youre welcome. Were more than happy for everyone to have a joke and a laugh, but some threads are meant to be discussed seriously, and some arent. Its important that we keep those separate soo that theres something for everyone.

I have have no personal bias towards any player. Most certainly I dont have bias towards any posters, regardless of what you might think. It is important however thats everyone needs are met, as such there are topics moderated to be serious and some that clearly arent, thats all

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:42 am

We don't need to PM IMBL. Let it hang out free Wink

I will say this. In my time of modding back in 2011 my 2 biggest complaints by posters were:

1) Nadal being called a moonballer
2) Murray being called a bottler

So my moderation became over-sensitive. Similar to the moderator before me. Now times have changed and I think the lack of moderation has helped the forum immensely.

No need to divert from that formula. Smile live and let live.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:42 am

Off topic is OK, even on a more serious topic, but not when it derails the entire topic, certainly if a topic has reduced to d!ck jokes, then we might open a new thread t discuss the op of the thread seriously, since its clear things went off the rails, but keep the old one open. That way theres serious discussion, and d!ck jokes and all the fun, something for both

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:43 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Not really CC.

If my memory serves me correctly JHM is a Henman fan and LF the clue is in the name. Done a perfect job in my eyes. Need more like them.

Oh yes they do a great job - no doubt. I was speaking more of mods coming from the outside in the future. Current posters on the tennis forum are mainly Federer, Nadal, Murray or Djokovic fans so you see they'd be prone to bias.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:45 am

temporary21 wrote:Off topic is OK, even on a more serious topic, but not when it derails the entire topic, certainly if a topic has reduced to d!ck jokes, then we might open a new thread t discuss the op of the thread seriously, since its clear things went off the rails, but keep the old one open. That way theres serious discussion, and d!ck jokes and all the fun, something for both
Some of the jokes on the thread were actually quite funny, some were pretty lame and trying to be funny by being really inappropriate rather than actual humour; I think the decision by the moderation team was fair.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:46 am

T21 let's be honest. That topic was never going to be taken seriously. It didn't warrant a second thread. The thread died quite a fun death and rightfully so Smile

I would say let it go. I am sure the awards are not high on the players list each season Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:47 am

CC we have an outsider. My partner in crime in the day was Solerina and she was more a Horse Riding fan than a tennis one and she was assigned to mod the tennis section. She gave up in the end as it didn't interest her. Sad

She was a laugh though.

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:48 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:I am sure the awards are not high on the players list each season Wink
How dare youuuu, it said on the advert (and I'm genuinely not making this up), that this award would be Federer's most impressive achievement, more so than his tennis records. king

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:49 am

Fair enough LK, HOWEVER, I made the new thread just in case some people did want to do it seriously, now theres two, soo everyones happy. This one was an odd case, because the off topic got SOO off topic, usually theres no need to do it, because things dont go off topic that far.

I take it as no disrespect that youve no interests in my new thread, thats fair enough.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:49 am

Blasphemy!!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:52 am

It's not I don't have interest T21, it's just we know the awards a just a lip service. I think we are looking for things that aren't there. Similar to another topic regarding a top player and drugs. I say let's leave those subjects to the conspiracy theorists Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 07 Nov 2014, 10:55 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:It's not I don't have interest T21, it's just we know the awards a just a lip service. I think we are looking for things that aren't there. Similar to another topic regarding a top player and drugs. I say let's leave those subjects to the conspiracy theorists Hug
Wait wait wait... what I was saying was not a conspiracy theory.
They publicly had Federer face on the campaign advert, and they at no point even tried to hide that they sponsor Federer, and it's common sense that advertising for a player and then showing the details of how to vote will make it more likely that a player wins the award.
I'm not actually suggesting that they lied about the poll results, that would be a conspiracy theory (that may or may not be true Wink)

edit: Mods, if you want to move these last 2 posts by me and LK to the other thread, feel free to do so.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:03 am

Just for the record, my detours about underpants and my Djokovic-esque wife were not deliberate sabotage. A lack of sleep seems to be sending my mind to some distubing places!

I blame JHM. He keeps making jokes that are perfect set ups for such nonsense.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:04 am

Don't worry HM, I have your Goffin pants pic saved to disk.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:05 am

HM's posts were actually quite funny; not sure why they got deleted when there much more material that was far less funny and far more inappropriate.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:07 am

I quite liked the forum in the last two weeks. Some tennis talks, some rhino talk, some Rather disturbing transsexual talk. I've liked it.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 07 Nov 2014, 1:23 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:We don't need to PM IMBL. Let it hang out free Wink

I will say this. In my time of modding back in 2011 my 2 biggest complaints by posters were:

So my moderation became over-sensitive. Similar to the moderator before me. Now times have changed and I think the lack of moderation has helped the forum immensely.

Oh I particularly like that last comment.......pity it doesn't apply to everyone censored

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 07 Nov 2014, 1:49 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:The reason the 2 mods worked so well was because they have no personal bias to any of the top players.
Hi Legendkiller Smile

Want to have a quick discussion on this, would you prefer via PM or on this thread ?
I think I'd prefer to have it via PM as we can both express ourselves more frankly, but I'll let you choose Wink

What is this? Some private illegal behind the scene stuff?

See how strong is Love, for the last 24h, it has overrun the forum completely, then again IMBL, must be an Love expert Laugh

Don't do it LK, don't take his bait laughing
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 1:55 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:We don't need to PM IMBL. Let it hang out free Wink

Oh I particularly like that last comment.......pity it doesn't apply to everyone censored

I know it's a long shot, but I would like to think that fans (because that's what we are) would be accepting of the successes and failures of all players. Sadly that will never happen Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 07 Nov 2014, 1:56 pm

temporary21, since JHM has banned me 59 times already, and I just checked your settings, so you can't ban me yet, I can say that today you have failed with your thread, and also with a cheap trick of deleting LK's post.

It has appeared that you went totally under IMBL influence, or he has complained/bagged you to restart same style thread, with a more serious tone and with a threat of deleting stuff if derailed.

A lesson for you, but then again I'm here to just bash Djoko and flirt with people, (especially LF, that I'm trying to convince her with my cooking skills, since my speach ain;t doing it).

Keep it up, but also be more flexy and take it easy. thumbsup

P.S: Nobody dare and ban me, its WTF soon warning
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 07 Nov 2014, 1:57 pm

Jahu wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
Hi Legendkiller Smile

What is this? Some private illegal behind the scene stuff?

See how strong is Love, for the last 24h, it has overrun the forum completely, then again IMBL, must be an Love expert Laugh

Don't do it LK, don't take his bait laughing
How did you know, I was just planning to PM him/her to say how much I love LK heart

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 07 Nov 2014, 1:59 pm

Jahu wrote:It has appeared that you went totally under IMBL influence, or he has complained/bagged you to restart same style thread, with a more serious tone and with a threat of deleting stuff if derailed.
I did not ask for another thread, don't say things which aren't true

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next