The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CM Punk has left the building *breaking news*

+43
Paul Mac 6CW
Prometheus
liverbnz
Hulking_up
JamesLincs
Bluebird_ccfc
The Best in the World
owen10ozzy
TIGGER017
VoiceOfTheVoiceless
hodge
Bull
x12x
XR
talkingpoint
JoshSansom
Enforcer
Ent
Good Golly I'm Olly
CenaNuff
GSC
BD21
bretmeharty
Shot 21 LCFC
Francis
Dr Gregory House MD
kingraf
NickisBHAFC
Jammy31
theundisputedY2D2
Nay
Kid Vicious
Fernando
Samo
Mr H
Crimey
Kay Fabe
Brilliant_yep
Gregers
Dolphin Ziggler
cloudsm
ManUtdImy
Hero
47 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

CM Punk has left the building *breaking news* - Page 4 Empty CM Punk has left the building *breaking news*

Post by Hero Wed 29 Jan 2014, 7:20 am

First topic message reminder :

This doesn't sound good at all.

Trouble in paradise.

Just one night after he was the Iron Man in the Royal Rumble match, lasting some 48 minutes from the number one entry spot, CM Punk wasn't booked to appear on Monday Night Raw. This was due to a number of rewrites demanded by Chairman of the Board Vince McMahon.

Now comes a report from the Wrestling Observer that says Punk told McMahon that very night that he was going home before doing just that and, as of right now, he is off all WWE shows going forward.

There isn't any information available outside of that right now. Punk hasn't tweeted anything out since praising fans following the Royal Rumble event this past Sunday night in Pittsburgh.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

CM Punk has left the building *breaking news* - Page 4 Empty Re: CM Punk has left the building *breaking news*

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 27 Nov 2014, 5:55 pm

The best modern day wrestler by a distance for me. The product is much poorer just for not having him, even if there have been more stories and mroe turnover of stars in the main event.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

CM Punk has left the building *breaking news* - Page 4 Empty Re: CM Punk has left the building *breaking news*

Post by Hero Thu 27 Nov 2014, 6:30 pm

That interview could replace Cena with Hogan and it could easily be lifted from Bret Hart's book about his time in WWF.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu 27 Nov 2014, 6:39 pm

Another couple of interesting points worthy of discussion:

The part where he said Ryback intentionally broke his rib.

Having a hand in creating The Shield and they were originally going to be his stable.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Nov 2014, 7:18 pm

A very brutal honest account of things.

To me Punk does seem a little naive on the corporate side of the business. Yes he moaned about the pay, but I think that was more principle of how good his craft was as opposed to his stock as a brand. Yes I would pay to watch a Punk match, but I wouldn't buy a Punk t-shirt or hoodie. The WWE needs a complete package and the closest to it is Cena. Punk should look back in history. Was Hogan the best wrestler? No. But the guy put asses in seats, eyes to screens and shifted merchandise like no-ones business. Sadly for Punk and this generation there isn't a WCW that would've granted him some creative control.

The WWE doesn't have the star power of yesteryear. A Rock or Austin that were complete packages. With time Punk could've been that guy. The WWE had a hot star on their hands and burnt him to a crisp. Thanks to that douche HHH who in true kliq style killed his momentum just pi$$es me off even more. HHH didn't need the match with Punk. Yet ego gets in the way again. I agree with Cornette that HHH doesn't draw the money, he wrestles the guys that do.

I would think Punk is a pain to work with and cut an image of a sullen kind of guy. Most of the top guys past and present are probably frustrating to work with if they are not shining on through in their matches/promos.

I guess the one good thing for Punk is that he ended his career on his terms. Didn't he say in his documentary that JR said wrestlers were contractors and that they should save every dime? Well it looks like Punk listened. He didn't get to main event the showcase of the immortals which is a shame, but many top stars never held the big one which he did.

All in all he didn't do too badly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 27 Nov 2014, 7:40 pm

I always do think thats a little unfair on HHH. He was an enabler basically, the antagonist the draw needed. He didnt have the talent of Rock or Austin, but Austin at the least couldnt do what HHH did either.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 27 Nov 2014, 7:49 pm

To me Punk does seem a little naive on the corporate side of the business. Yes he moaned about the pay, but I think that was more principle of how good his craft was as opposed to his stock as a brand. Yes I would pay to watch a Punk match, but I wouldn't buy a Punk t-shirt or hoodie. The WWE needs a complete package and the closest to it is Cena. Punk should look back in history. Was Hogan the best wrestler? No. But the guy put asses in seats, eyes to screens and shifted merchandise like no-ones business. Sadly for Punk and this generation there isn't a WCW that would've granted him some creative control.

The problem with this is that CM Punk did actually sell merchandise....and lots of it. He outsold Cena for a long time and is still one of WWE's highest sellers now even when he's not been an active member of the roster for nearly a year. I think his merchandise is probably the most wearable of any wrestler's merchandise for many years, certainly better than Cena's bright T-shirts. I own a couple of Punk T-shirts and I think what's good about them is they blend in, they don't stand out as wrestling T-shirts at all.

I think a big part of it is that he wanted credit for being a hard worker and being the best wrestler they had, which isn't the be all and end all, but the point he has also made is he did everything Cena did as well as being much better but didn't get the rewards, which is a legitimate complaint.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 27 Nov 2014, 9:59 pm

CM Punk has an ego! Who knew? Doesn't he have right to have one? Most successful people do. It's often why they are successful.

And it not being about the money and feeling you are underpaid are not mutually exclusive.

And finally, everyone seems keen to pick holes in Punk's story (it's cool to hate on cool though ain't it?) but no one has even mentioned that WWE were close to committing corporate manslaughter or whatever the equivilant is in America.

And having either dodgey or negligent doctors on your payroll and blackmailing or more or less forcing people to wrestle with broken bones, fatal infections, concussions or whatever else is pretty disgusting.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri 28 Nov 2014, 11:52 pm

An amazing interview. It's rare you hear somebody talk so eloquently about WWE from an insider perspective. He comes across as totally genuine and without ulterior motives. My knowledge of Punk, Vince McMahon and the WWE machine in general lead me to trust in Punk's account.

This is not a veteran angling for another payday; it's not a drug-addled nutcase. This is someone who feels no loyalty to WWE due to the way he was treated, and has no interest in filtering his thoughts so as not to offend anybody.

He does resent the way WWE treated him, but that does not seem to cloud his judgement too much. He sounds like his thoughts are rational and reasoned, not driven by emotion. It's not just one long rambling moan.

The references to drugs, contracts and doctors are potentially devastating. If nothing else they raise extremely important questions about WWE's corporate image. In the unlikely event this interview breaks the mainstream, it could have huge ramifications.

It will be many years before we get another glimpse into WWE "real life" that is this revealing. It may very well never happen.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 29 Nov 2014, 3:11 am

Couple of things are for sure following this;

Any push Ryback may have been getting is firmly up in smoke!

It's a bloody good job HHH is off screen for some time;

Can't help but think he wouldn't have received the warmest of receptions should he have sauntered out this coming Monday following the interview.

Think it's also safe to say AJ will be gone within a couple of months, maximum! Not a chance she stays there even if she wishes to; will be far to much resentment thrown her way from superstars and those in power alike.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 29 Nov 2014, 3:13 am

Triple H is apparently very angry about this, Vince just upset. Can see some digs at CM Punk in the next Raw, even with Triple H not on-screen.

Listening to Punk is much different to reading the reports of it, he comes across a lot better when actually listening to him than the summaries which are definitely there to sensationalise it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 29 Nov 2014, 4:34 am

I don't see it affecting Ryback. If anything the powers that be will push him harder. I also think he's improved greatly so it will be seen as a learning curve anyway. 

Vince does come across nowadays as being a much softer man than he was. Almost like he won his battle and now has some wisdom rather than plain arrogance

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Sat 29 Nov 2014, 8:11 am

I would say Vince is more arrogant now than he has ever been
Not sure what you are basing that analysis on.

Also I'm interested to know why 'superstars' would be angry at him ozzy? You sound like a WWE sheep, and even use their language.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Nov 2014, 11:25 am

Interesting interview but not as scathing and catty as I expected it to to be. Perhaps he's saved serving up the main course for when the work dries up and Sean Oliver comes calling?

He didn't say anything about HHH that hadn't been said by anyone else before really. And Ryback on the juice? Shocker, that one...

The only real eye opener for me was the whole doctor thing.

Also, does being straight edge make you swear more and is there a drug to combat that? I'll never know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Nov 2014, 1:06 pm

Finished listening to the podcast last night.

Excessive use of the word f*ck!

It was fascinating insight to the health professionals (if you can call them that!) that work in the WWE and given the whole Benoit and Guerrero affairs that wrestler health would be high on the agenda and at the forefront of things.

Listening to a wrestler clearly so passionate about the industry and then at the end just so resentful of it. Just such a shame that the WWE couldn't tap into his ideas.

Vince again shown as risk adverse in his approach to bringing talent to the top of the card from within. Strange given he risked a lot for the Network. Surprised he overlooked the pay element for the talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Nov 2014, 1:11 pm

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/530665-triple-h-wants-to-kill-punk-backstage-reaction-to-cm-punkcolt-cabana-podcast-what-the-wrestlers-thought-washington-post-follows-the-story

Get them in the octagon! Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 29 Nov 2014, 2:20 pm

crippledtart wrote:I would say Vince is more arrogant now than he has ever been

Also I'm interested to know why 'superstars' would be angry at him ozzy? You sound like a WWE sheep, and even use their language.

A WWE Sheep; never been called that before...in fact I am known for my negativity of WWE Cripple!

It's a pretty easy situation to see why there would be resentment towards him from some quarters...in fact I struggle to comprehend how you can't see it. He's lambasted HHH, he's taken a swipe at the main event scene at certain times (i.e. Orton, Batista for Mania), he's accused one man of being on steroids and being as green as farmers new pasture; even if it's just Ryback and HHH who are left angry both of those guys will have people who take their side (HHH most certainly) whilst others will fall in line purely because they don't want to tick off the boss...thus there isn't a chance that AJ doesn't come out of this without at least copping some flak backstage!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 29 Nov 2014, 2:29 pm

I think the incompetence of the doctors is the only new thing we really got out of the podcast, it was the only truly shocking thing.

- We know Triple H is spiteful and vindictive and jealous of people more talented than he is. That has been talked about for years, whether it was Chris Jericho or The Rock, he's always been one to try and hold people down.

- We know that WWE management can be very petty, like firing him on his wedding day, they've shown being petty in the last couple of years by having Ryder squashed every time he spoke out on Twitter.

- We know Ryback is awful because we watch Ryback, it's been painfully obvious from his first day that he was green, full of botches and generally a bit talentless. The problem Punk had though wasn't necessarily with Ryback, it was asking to not be put back in a program with Ryback because he hurt him last time and Vince saying he "owed him one" to do it, then never living up to that.

- Everybody is pretty aware that WWE are run very shoddily so don't plan out their storylines and don't know how to sort out wrestlers' pay now they have the Network.

I think overall the interview only confirms suspicions that most already had and agrees with what the dirtsheets have been saying for years. I think Punk doesn't really slag anybody off that bad in the video, he actually makes a strong point have trying to make sure he doesn't. Ryback doesn't come across great, but there was no personal attack on him, just saying he's a poor worker, which he is, the fans can see that. Triple H isn't even slagged off and Punk would have every right to do it, he says he was angry at Triple H for not putting him over etc. but never a personal attack.

I think the main thing to come out of this is a big name speaking out against the medical practices of the WWE. In a post-Benoit era that could be huge, but I think it would take a lot more people to speak out about it before any action was taken. At the moment what I imagine will happen is people will fall in line, they will praise the doctors and talk about times they helped them, that will be their line in interviews and WWE will happily allow Punk to be brushed with a bitter liar coat of paint.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 29 Nov 2014, 2:56 pm

crippledtart wrote:I would say Vince is more arrogant now than he has ever been

I think on screen he is more lazy than he is arrogant, he isnt boastful he is just ignorant of his influence and character. But based on quotes from this and other programmes, including the CM Punk Best in the World doc, McMahon seems to be much calmer and not as much of a fighter. I think the arrogance and vindictiveness are now down to HHH

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Sat 29 Nov 2014, 5:50 pm

For all those saying that nothing in the interview was a surprise, i think you're missing the point. The fact is that while certain theories were out there and inner workings were assumed, it's a whole different matter when somebody who was a WWE main eventer until less than a year ago states them as fact.

It's like government corruption; most of us assume it to some degree, but to hear it from somebody who was in the cabinet would be major news.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 29 Nov 2014, 7:29 pm

But it pretty much is a repeat of what Bret said in his book happening 30 years ago.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 29 Nov 2014, 7:34 pm

Id say thats pretty revealing in itself. You'd have thought that nonsense was of a bygone age

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 29 Nov 2014, 7:36 pm

CM Punk has left the building *breaking news* - Page 4 B3ea2dHCcAA3yD_

Subtle response from Ryback

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 29 Nov 2014, 7:59 pm

Lol... Can't blame him. Accusing someone of using steroids is a big deal (even if he is probably using), can't expect him not to be miffed.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:30 pm

To be fair, one of WWE's ex-writers has tweeted about the CM Punk interview stating (and I'm quoting it loosely here) that " It was good to hear someone bringing up what the WWE is really like, but makes him want to throw up at the thought of it". As I said, quoting loosely haha!
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 01 Dec 2014, 3:55 pm

Finally listened to it. Fascinating, those who have mentioned it are right, he doesn't sound bitter and like he's trying to get WWE back, it all seems to come naturally out as just the way things were.

A union for wrestlers seems like an incredibly good idea, and its baffling no one has tried anything of the sort.

I will always see him as the man who paved the way for the Rollins', Ambrose's, Steen's and even Bryan's making it in WWE. I'd be surprised if any of them ever even scratched at his level, but his contribution will always likely be a contested issue

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 01 Dec 2014, 6:21 pm

Anyone got a link to the actual podcast?

Jesse Ventura tried to get a Union started 30 years ago but was scuppered when Hogan grassed him up to Vince McMahon

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 01 Dec 2014, 6:46 pm

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 01 Dec 2014, 6:51 pm

CM Punk has left the building *breaking news* - Page 4 OldWetHypsilophodon.0

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 01 Dec 2014, 7:46 pm

Thanks mate

Muy apreciado

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 01 Dec 2014, 9:45 pm

I am saving my views on this till tomorrow's podcast.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 01 Dec 2014, 11:10 pm

Adam D wrote:I am saving my views on this till tomorrow's podcast.

By golly there's a reason to listen!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Dec 2014, 8:42 am

Just being reading about the podcast. Vince was very coy on the subject of Punk. I guess the door is always open. Weird given Vince has taken many things past superstars have done in a negative way to the company very personally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 03 Dec 2014, 1:47 pm

Just got round to listening to this, he comes.across as a very genuine and level headed guy, I agreed with him in written format but definitely agree he comes across even better when you can listen to him

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:35 am

I am a little surprised that Punk didn't consider that his luck wasn't in to some extent rather than just he was overlooked when it comes to WrestleMania main eventing.

WM27 - Basically, as much as people won't like it, The Miz had direction and momentum and was probably as hot as he will ever be in his career. A lot of people really enjoyed his character and it absolutely made the most sense to book him against Cena. What happened at the event, well I think Punk should consider himself lucky not to have been completely cast aside and made to look a fool by The Rock and Cena's charade.

WM28 - Sorry Punk, but The Rock wanted to be a wrestler again, and unlucky for you but the big feud, and a feud WWE could not ignore, was Cena/Rock. Even if he had been put over by HHH and given a right royal push, he was never matching that pairing.

WM29 - Contrary to Punk's opinion, I actually think it would have been awful for him to be slotted into Cena/Rock II. I'm not sure even his idea of a 5 min elimination would have satisfied him really. Who wants to be the man who main evented Mania for a few minutes just to get the slot? I slightly lose respect for him when he says that because it's desperate and a bit sad.

It was however definitely his biggest chance. Basically, The Rock is a draw Vince can't ignore, and he had the owner's ear. You could question whether he should have gone on last vs Taker, and the fact Cena vs Rock definitely sells doesnt really say it should or shouldnt be on last. It would draw, but it also didn't need to be placed at the top to do so. Equally, Cena v Punk that year could have been a really big main event. The other option, and one that would have been so much better than what we were given, was Punk v Lesnar. Considering Lesnar lost to HHH at that Mania, a loss to Punk would have been such a big thing for the roster at the time, let alone Punk, and could have been a main event that really was a big deal. You probably could have put Punk's career on the line the same way HHH did.

WM30 - The Authority storyline was top heel. Some may not have liked it undercutting performers, but it was definitely getting the heat required. Punk could not have been their champion. He would have been an interesting choice to go up against them for the title, but there was no doubt that it was Bryan's year (except maybe in WWE's eyes for a while). If anyone was to be shoehorned in it was Bryan.

I think he could have had his chance at 31 or 32. There is very little doubt in my mind that if Austin was ever going to wrestle again it would have been vs Punk as first choice, and that was definitely a main event. I also think there might have been a chance at another Cena/Punk, Punk/Bryan or Punk/Lesnar.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 04 Dec 2014, 10:21 am

Listened to the whole thing last night. I could listen to Punk talk all day. A real eye opener of an interview and to me who’s followed pro-wrestling for 20 years it shows how naïve I still am to what really happens behind the scenes.

Lots of things to take away from the interview though, the main thing being Punk’s health, that is the biggest factor in all of this. Not being able to have time off to rehab his surgeries, the concussions and the staph infection which the doctor failed to act on, it’s all absolutely disgusting. It’s just so negligent it’s unreal and I expect Vince & Hunter are mad right now because they’re embarrassed that this has been leaked. It makes you wonder doesn’t it – guys like Punk and Bryan who perform every night and put it all on the line trying to steal the show – is it worth it? Look how banged up they both are, and for what? Sure  Bryan got his big WM moment but let’s not kid ourselves here, do you think HE got paid the same as Batista did at WM30? And he wrestled TWICE!

Although Punk says it’s not about the money yet all he does is talk about money, I don’t think he cares about the money, it’s just the whole principle of being an equal to the other big stars. It sucks that he didn’t get paid the same as Taker, Lesnar etc at WM29 yet was told his match was the best match of the night, and I totally agree with him that the only main event is the match that goes on last. I’ve heard counter arguments that a lot of guys in the back would love to be in Punk’s position of putting over Rock, Brock & Taker but those guys weren’t told they were ‘owed one’ by Vince. Since ‘that’ promo CM Punk was arguably the best wrestler, talker and performer on the planet for 3 years and he DESERVED to main event Wrestlemania. Sure I’m a big Punk mark but without the rose tinted glasses on i still feel he deserved that moment, 100%.

The sad thing is, he’s probably going to be remembered for his exit from the company and this interview more than his 434 day title reign. That alone speaks volumes.

Love the guy, he’s as honest and genuine as they come and I get he’s probably not an easy guy to work with, I just hope one day he gets the itch again. I don’t think all bridges are totally burnt and I do think Punk is a spontaneous guy who could one day text Vince and say ‘shall we talk’. His stock is even bigger now, he knows that, Vince knows that, and if Steve Austin decides he wants to main event WM32 in Texas and Punk gets the call to fulfil his dream – would he turn it down? But like I say, I'm a huge mark so i'll always cling on to that small bit of hope.

Last edited by Mr H on Thu 04 Dec 2014, 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:43 pm

Great post Mr.H. My thoughts exactly.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Dec 2014, 1:19 pm

I think as long as Vince is alive and in charge, Punk has the opportunity to return, the moment Triple H is in charge, that's his chance gone. I don't think Triple H would ever hire CM Punk himself.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 04 Dec 2014, 3:38 pm

Punk's no fool, he'll be back, he's just gonna stay away long enough for the WWE to give him everything he wants to work light schedules, no doubts about it.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 04 Dec 2014, 4:00 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:Punk's no fool, he'll be back, he's just gonna stay away long enough for the WWE to give him everything he wants to work light schedules, no doubts about it.
Sometimes I think we are the same person as we have the same outlook on wrestling!

DO you hate Cobana too?

We talked about how long before Punk main events mania on the podcast. The others thought never. I said not the next one but the one after.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 04 Dec 2014, 4:18 pm

I've not listened to Punk's second podcast. But Vince's interview with SC laid out the map clearly about bringing Punk back:
- I'm sorry
- Other talent has left before and come back
- If it is best for business, Vince will do what is necessary
- Find an intermediary we can work through (e.g. SC), not your lawyer
- Vince said that he, SC and Punk were quite alike in character
- There will be a fine when you come back for walking out on the fans

So, it seems that Vince's hand is there. It is far too soon for the upcoming WM, but if Punk wants to take Vince's hand then it could be set for the one after that.

Life seems great for Punk right now. He can watch hockey, do some comic books, hang out, etc. But there is going to be a day when he thinks about having those fans in the palm of his hand and I think while he still thinks he can go he can't write off that he'd never reach his dream of a WM main event.

I don't know if Punk works as a WM main event since he left. Ironically, I think that were Punk still with WWE he would be a good fit for a(nother) program with Lesnar to the next WM. I think he is one of the workers where you can believe that he's gonna put it all out and has enough skill to chop down the beast.

That is my stumbling block in him being back, where's the Punk in the WM main event argument? I could see this if Bryan was the WC, though I think that would be a great in-ring product I still think it appeals most to the IWC. And that is Wrestling, not Sports Entertainment. I think Sting in his first WM (even though it doesn't excite me), SC, Rock, Taker and maybe even Batista after his Bond film, all work better at selling tickets to me than Punk.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Thu 04 Dec 2014, 4:19 pm

I happened to be in Punk's corner before the interview,but this really opened my eyes to the horrors of working whilst beat up.
It seems wrestlers are stuck between a rock and a hard place...if they decide they need time off to recover then they're docked pay,or punished in other ways,like Punk being fired on his wedding day.
If they decide to work through the pain then they end up in a dark place,reliant on pills and hiding a lot of demons,like Shawn Michaels during the 90s.

If the wrestlers are beat up,and don't get the option to recover,then I'd rather see them go before their peak like Punk,rather than the horror Michaels created before he lost his smile and was ultimately saved.

Its a shame WWE aren't as concerned about the wrestlers' wellbeing.

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Dec 2014, 4:29 pm

What Punk does do is show the naivety of these wrestlers though. "What would Harley Race?" do isn't really a modern way of looking at things. He seems to kind of give in to how things were always done, but these wrestlers need to learn not to do that.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 04 Dec 2014, 6:36 pm

Vince isnt stupid, and the only language he speaks is money. He probably knows that a Punk return would be huge - even if his ego wouldnt let him admit it. Give him a Shawn Michaels contract, give him the title at Mania, give him what he wants to get him back and your ratings will rocket. This would only happen while Vince is in power. While Triple H brought back Sammartino, that was Vince's beef, not his. He's a smart guy, and a good business mind. He might be convinced.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 04 Dec 2014, 7:27 pm

Adam D wrote:
Kay Fabe wrote:Punk's no fool, he'll be back, he's just gonna stay away long enough for the WWE to give him everything he wants to work light schedules, no doubts about it.
Sometimes I think we are the same person as we have the same outlook on wrestling!

DO you hate Cobana too?

We talked about how long before Punk main events mania on the podcast. The others thought never. I said not the next one but the one after.
I think within the next three WrestleMania's he'll have main evented one, maybe not his first one back, even Lesnar didn't get that slot but definitely his second one.

I think he's had his eyes opened about how to play the system,  Punk reached a level not many have reached so the longer he stays away the higher his stock will rise, he'll be well aware of this in my opinion.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 04 Dec 2014, 7:31 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I am a little surprised that Punk didn't consider that his luck wasn't in to some extent rather than just he was overlooked when it comes to WrestleMania main eventing.

WM27 - Basically, as much as people won't like it, The Miz had direction and momentum and was probably as hot as he will ever be in his career. A lot of people really enjoyed his character and it absolutely made the most sense to book him against Cena. What happened at the event, well I think Punk should consider himself lucky not to have been completely cast aside and made to look a fool by The Rock and Cena's charade.

WM28 - Sorry Punk, but The Rock wanted to be a wrestler again, and unlucky for you but the big feud, and a feud WWE could not ignore, was Cena/Rock. Even if he had been put over by HHH and given a right royal push, he was never matching that pairing.

WM29 - Contrary to Punk's opinion, I actually think it would have been awful for him to be slotted into Cena/Rock II. I'm not sure even his idea of a 5 min elimination would have satisfied him really. Who wants to be the man who main evented Mania for a few minutes just to get the slot? I slightly lose respect for him when he says that because it's desperate and a bit sad.

It was however definitely his biggest chance. Basically, The Rock is a draw Vince can't ignore, and he had the owner's ear. You could question whether he should have gone on last vs Taker, and the fact Cena vs Rock definitely sells doesnt really say it should or shouldnt be on last. It would draw, but it also didn't need to be placed at the top to do so. Equally, Cena v Punk that year could have been a really big main event. The other option, and one that would have been so much better than what we were given, was Punk v Lesnar. Considering Lesnar lost to HHH at that Mania, a loss to Punk would have been such a big thing for the roster at the time, let alone Punk, and could have been a main event that really was a big deal. You probably could have put Punk's career on the line the same way HHH did.

WM30 - The Authority storyline was top heel. Some may not have liked it undercutting performers, but it was definitely getting the heat required. Punk could not have been their champion. He would have been an interesting choice to go up against them for the title, but there was no doubt that it was Bryan's year (except maybe in WWE's eyes for a while). If anyone was to be shoehorned in it was Bryan.  

I think he could have had his chance at 31 or 32. There is very little doubt in my mind that if Austin was ever going to wrestle again it would have been vs Punk as first choice, and that was definitely a main event. I also think there might have been a chance at another Cena/Punk, Punk/Bryan or Punk/Lesnar.

WrestleMania 29 was the one in my opinion, vs Cena for the WWE Title, he had Cena's number at this point, it would have been his 500th day as champ, it was Cena's last chance saloon against Punk, the  Rock could have done the job for Taker, that for me was the logical path they should have went with

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 04 Dec 2014, 7:32 pm

Unsurprisingly Ryback has said his say about Punk's comments.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 04 Dec 2014, 8:08 pm

Laugh

Ryberg says he put Punk over....

Lordy, lets just allow that one sink in for a moment

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 05 Dec 2014, 12:32 am

Don't f*ck with The Big Guy.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 20 Dec 2014, 12:26 am

Former professional wrestler and recent UFC signee CM Punk shocked viewers of a popular sports talk show when he suddenly began exuding an affable air of unpretentious charm.

“It’s really great to be here, so thanks for the opportunity,” Punk said, which clearly rattled interviewer Michael Landsberg of Canadian chat show Off the Record, who was justifiably expecting Punk to be his usual combative, smarmy self.

“I don’t get to meet all my fans face-to-face, so I love having a forum like this on which to express my gratitude for their loyal support,” Punk added, to the great astonishment of everyone watching.

Lansberg stammered nervously during a follow-up question, but Punk neither rolled his eyes dismissively nor took a drawn-out, vainglorious swig of coffee.

Viewers were unanimously befuddled by Punk’s odd behavior, given his prior track record of treating media interviews like a laborious chore to appease morons who are beneath him.

The 15-minute interview carried on with Punk and answering — without obvious disdain, sarcasm or ego — any questions the interviewer asked.

“I try not to take myself to seriously,” chuckled Punk.

It is believed that Punk was suffering from a high fever, and will resume his usual holier-than-thou grandiloquence soon.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 20 Dec 2014, 8:24 am

I read that this morning too! I think we should go around his house and shout through his window that he is a quieter.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next